Home
News Post

The official NHL 09 blog has posted a patch update for NHL 09.

Quote:
"We are in the process of putting the patches up for both the X360 and the PS3. PS3 Europe has already gone up, and PS3 North America and both X360 patches should be up within the next week or two.

First and foremost we have fixed the "dirty disc" message issue that some people are seeing on the X360.

For the PS3, we have fixed the issue where there are sometimes white flashes or flickers during gameplay. So, if you have seen one of the above, you will be happy to know they are fixed with the patch.

For most people though...the important fixes are in gameplay.
We have listened to all of you, and we have played the game ourselves every day. While we couldn't make every fix that you asked for because of time constraints, we did fix most of the big issues, and also improved gameplay to be more authentic."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 catcatch22 @ 10/29/08 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Burgundy
So if we have have started a franchise already, this patch won't have any affect on it, right? argh
I think that is only rosters were adjusted, this is a full game patch. So I don't see why you would have to restart your dynasty.

# 22 Papa Burgundy @ 10/29/08 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I think that is only rosters were adjusted, this is a full game patch. So I don't see why you would have to restart your dynasty.
ahh, I see. then i can't wait for this patch to be out

# 23 bad_philanthropy @ 10/29/08 11:17 PM
I hope the 360 version doesn't take too long, today's patch news has killed the game for me, I don't want to play it now until I get the improvements. At least Fallout 3 is keeping my anticipation in check somewhat

# 24 Papa Burgundy @ 10/29/08 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I hope the 360 version doesn't take too long, today's patch news has killed the game for me, I don't want to play it now until I get the improvements. At least Fallout 3 is keeping my anticipation in check somewhat
lol I know, now I don't really wanna play if the gameplay can be improved this much.

# 25 original6 @ 10/29/08 11:29 PM
Hmmm....not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but no goalie fixes? That's one of the biggest gamekillers right there.

Otherwise, outstanding looking patch. C'mon, MS!

# 26 Soulburger @ 10/30/08 12:20 AM
Downloaded tonight. My station froze though and I had to pull the plug. Turned it back on and tried out my first game(offline BAP). 12 PPs just for me! So at least I download that portion of the patch. Played 2 more games with penalties one notch lower from max and had 5 PPs and 4 PPs.

One thing I noticed though is that there were a lot more Delay of Game penalties. In the 1st game I had four 5-on-3 PPs because the CPU kept flipping the puck over the glass. I guess they forgot that making a higher dump the puck trajectory would cause problems in the defensive zone. Could be a big headache.

# 27 JR360 @ 10/30/08 12:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't get just part of the patch, it'll be all or nothing.

# 28 Soulburger @ 10/30/08 12:57 AM
Yeah I know...my attempt at being a smartass.

# 29 akula89 @ 10/30/08 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
sounds good, but did they make it easier to score from in close or make the goalies a little less stonewall like? because in my experience playing online, if both teams play solid defense with a cpu goalie and aren't doing cheese shots, the games tend to be pretty low scoring already. and making it easier to miss the net on breakaways seems like the last thing that needed to be fixed imo.
yeah, I think the goalies just need to be a little more sloppy, ie, let out juicier rebounds, maybe bobble the puck etc.

they are like robots right now

# 30 Donovan @ 10/30/08 03:10 AM
Quote:
sounds good, but did they make it easier to score from in close or make the goalies a little less stonewall like? because in my experience playing online, if both teams play solid defense with a cpu goalie and aren't doing cheese shots, the games tend to be pretty low scoring already. and making it easier to miss the net on breakaways seems like the last thing that needed to be fixed imo.
I agree. I noticed in my first few post-patch games that I was missing the net way more while coming up the wing, and while doing wrap arounds etc. Its a little annoying actually, maybe more realistic, but if I can't score in close or on breakaways I need to be able to score somehow.

# 31 catcatch22 @ 10/30/08 03:39 AM
Quote:
After seeing you play in person I am quite surprised of all people you would have a problem scoring on a breakaway.

# 32 tabulaRasa @ 10/30/08 04:31 AM
Like the fixes, but come on, in a real game you never see as many stick lifts as in NHL09, itīs insane online in ranked games, pure abuse.

# 33 Donovan @ 10/30/08 05:02 AM
Scoring seems down for me with the new patch. My last three games were a 1-0 win, 2-0 loss, a 2-1 loss. I raised shot accuracy all the way up after game 2, not sure how that will affect it long term. I only play on All Star and am having a hell of a time scoring despite 30-35 shots a game, lots of diverse shots, not weak slapshots from outside as soon as I enter the zone.

# 34 draven085 @ 10/30/08 01:07 PM
I concur that the changes to shot accuracy without in turn also dumbing down the goalies is somewhat disconcerting. With a number of people reporting difficulties scoring prior to the patch, myself included, this seems like an odd design choice. Given my own struggles scoring I'm tempted to stick with the unpatched version of the game unless other users report solid scoring results after patching. Since I'm not having as much trouble generating CPU penalties as some folks seem to be I don't mind sticking with the unpatched version of the game.

# 35 Rock @ 10/30/08 03:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if you can download the patch for the 360 online through your PC because I am not signed up on xbox live. Thanks

# 36 Papa Burgundy @ 10/30/08 04:06 PM
gah, I can't wait for this patch to be out on 360. Sounds like they did a great job.

# 37 bukktown @ 10/30/08 04:18 PM
Can anyone with the patch comment on the 'higher' flip dumps? Is it subtle?

# 38 jaynicks20 @ 10/30/08 06:59 PM
Nice...have been super busy with work. I will get online tonight!

# 39 JR360 @ 10/31/08 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Can anyone with the patch comment on the 'higher' flip dumps? Is it subtle?
Like Dave374 I prefer to fire a slap shot around the board for a dump in. That said I think the height on the flip dump does help your winger get to the puck more often before the defense can get full control of it.

The flip dumps are noticeably higher and you do see the CPU flip the puck over the glass more often on the penalty kill (either because they have to kill more penalties or because they are flipping the puck higher, I'm not sure -- probably both).

The patch comments also said that you can't flip the puck on the net any more (which you'd occasionally find cheeser trying to score with online because the goalie has trouble with them) and this seems to work.

# 40 IBYCFOTA @ 10/31/08 02:53 AM
I agree with whoever said that when neither team cheeses the scores end up pretty low usually. That's not a bad thing really, but I do wish that more varieties of shots went in. Every shot on goal should have a chance of going in, even if it's very small. But some shots simply never ever go in and some in particular go in with a very high frequency (not just cheese goals).

Really looking forward to the patch. I expect some people to still figure out a way to score on the cheese shot but my hope is that it becomes a lot rarer and most games are clean. I have no problem losing to teams that play fair and beat us, but when every goal they have is cheese and that's all they do all game it's silly and not fun. It gets boring trying to stop the same shot all the time anyways.

For the PS3 users who have the patch, are all shots less accurate or just the specific wrist shot that produced the cheese goals? I have a hard time believing they found a way to tone down this specific shot without toning down all wrist shots or shots in general. I won't mind either way, I do think there should be a good amount more aiming skill required to put a wrist shot from outside the circle to the top opposite shelf every time. I also agree that the goalies should be "dumbed down" in that they should let in more goals. I'm sure it's tough for EA to create a good balance between a goalie that isn't too exploitable and one that is too hard to score on. I'd rather have the latter than the former, though, personally.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.