Home
NCAA March Madness 09 News Post

We have just posted a gameplay video from our beta copy of NCAA Basketball 09, featuring North Carolina @ Duke.

Game: NCAA Basketball 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 29 - View All
NCAA Basketball 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 fsufan4423 @ 11/03/08 06:39 AM
Sweet...can't wait

# 2 IHateDuke32 @ 11/03/08 08:07 AM
I used to play March Madness back on Playstation 1, but I really started to dislike the series when it made the jump to PS2 with 2002's poor offering. I've pretty much been a 2K guy ever since, I was even just planning on downloading new rosters for this year through CHoops 2K8 and having that as my college basketball fix. However, that video looked pretty damn good. There are a few things that look like they need fixing (Danny Green goes over and back towards the end and no call), but overall what a giant leap in gameplay for this game. If there is solid representation of small schools in this game (such as SIU where I attend), I am definitely picking this game up. Very impressed

# 3 intellisect @ 11/03/08 09:05 AM
I hope I'm wrong but this does NOT look like the NBA Live 09 engine at all. It is probably an upgraded Live 08 engine modified for the college game like CHoops used to do. I was excited but now I think I'll pass.

# 4 bases1616 @ 11/03/08 11:38 AM
I think it is the Live 08 engine. I read somewhere that is was the Live 08 engine and not the 09. Also, why is it so dark in the game? It looked like they were playing in some moonlighting game.

# 5 Pared @ 11/03/08 12:09 PM
Looks great. Better than Live '09.... BUT.

Why are the contested shots in the paint STILL going in? It was a problem in Live and it's a problem here.

There is contact made, the shooter either gets hit or has to adjusted his shot and the ball still bounces in. Happen 3 times in that video alone.

I didn't see the "perfect arc" on shots as it may have been removed. I can only hope.

BTW, those white flashes are beyond annoying and disorienting at the start of the game. Seems like their solution to the strange graphical hiccups that plagued Live '09 during cutscene changes... but a wipe with the EA Logo or something would've looked a LOT better.

# 6 KG @ 11/03/08 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Looks great. Better than Live '09.... BUT.

Why are the contested shots in the paint STILL going in? It was a problem in Live and it's a problem here.

There is contact made, the shooter either gets hit or has to adjusted his shot and the ball still bounces in. Happen 3 times in that video alone.

I didn't see the "perfect arc" on shots as it may have been removed. I can only hope.

BTW, those white flashes are beyond annoying and disorienting at the start of the game. Seems like their solution to the strange graphical hiccups that plagued Live '09 during cutscene changes... but a wipe with the EA Logo or something would've looked a LOT better.
I thought the video looked pretty good. My purchase will hinge on how the Demo drops.

I haven't played Live but my only explanation would be that the game was played on a lower level? They didn't miss for a while until Gerald started bombing 3's. Glad to see EA got that part right (Gerald not being able to shoot)

I just want more details into the career mode or whatever it's called in NCAA Hoops. Haven't played an EA College bball game in so long.

# 7 sgtspit @ 11/03/08 01:43 PM
im sticking with choops,with the 09 rosters.Still want to try the demo
out for this when ever it comes out..

# 8 ehh @ 11/03/08 01:51 PM
The video definitely looks good especially compared to MM08. The animations are improved but some are still bit funky. I still do not like most of the jump shot animations they're sufficient. The game is smoother and the speed is much more realistic.

I love the floor spacing and realistic defensive recovery. That alone will help me enjoy this game a ton, over the years it has become the biggest gripe of 2K's games for me.

The rebounding seems greatly improved from last year and I like the contact in the paint, that's not as messy as MM08.

I'm not concerned with so many shots going in, like most demos/vids I assume this is on an easy setting.

# 9 ExtremeGamer @ 11/03/08 01:52 PM
Looking forward to a demo, but not impressed by the video. Why were Duke fans cheering a UNC bucket? The game was very dark as well, hopefully that's just the video, and not how the game looks.

# 10 countryboy @ 11/03/08 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtspit
im sticking with choops,with the 09 rosters.Still want to try the demo
out for this when ever it comes out..
the demo is supposed to be out Thursday.

# 11 KG @ 11/03/08 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Looking forward to a demo, but not impressed by the video. Why were Duke fans cheering a UNC bucket? The game was very dark as well, hopefully that's just the video, and not how the game looks.
I've noticed that a few of EA's games on next-gen are dark by default. FIFA 08 & 09 were like that.

# 12 jagsfan82 @ 11/03/08 03:59 PM
whats the green line underneath the players suppose to mean?

# 13 carnalnirvana @ 11/03/08 04:18 PM
their shorts are too baggy look like they playing street ball lol

looks good though

# 14 Murph @ 11/03/08 04:38 PM
I thought the EA guys here said specifically that this game was based on the Live 09 engine, not 08. I certainly hope it's 09.

I'll add one more complaint to those I've read here already. Even in this short clip, there's repetition in the play-by-play. How many times did we hear Nessler say 'Up...and IN!'

# 15 Behindshadows @ 11/03/08 04:46 PM
I agree! There is a lot I'm not liking in this video....mainly with it being off sync..lol (joking Steve)

But my UNC Lineup was wrong!

Should have been Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Green and Keller!

And not Davis and Ginyard. And why does Ellington have a Afro? He's clean cut with a fade all the time, with the Long trimmed beard.

Game looked like MM08 with better animations. Even during crossovers and things like that, I didn't see much of Live 09 in there at all.

But again it is beta! So I'm guessing its a very early build, they did make a trailer running off the MM08 engine. Maybe its the same with this video.

On the plus side, it was much smoother and graphically a lot better than MM08 the stadiums are much brighter than they were last year. Still not as dynamically bright as CH 2k8. But with great detail.

Keep the videos coming Steve, don't get discouraged, we appreciate the efforts.

Try naming the players before recording, so we can hear the names instead of the numbers...

# 16 Behindshadows @ 11/03/08 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Why is it that EA always says "we completely rewrote/created a new engine this year" yet the animations, graphics always look the same?

What's new about this engine? The only real noticeable difference I saw was an improvement in gamespeed.

It looked "OK", but I dunno...
Not true, I see a different game! Just a graphics similarity with more detail.

You can see that this game has footplanting, as last seasons had none! They dragged their feet and slid all over the place in MM8.

This game does have the footplanting and it does have more animations, you can see it in the shot selection and movement.

It's just not a super duper gap of a difference. And I can respect that, as MM08 wasn't that bad, it just had it quirks...and from this BETA Video, those quirks look to be gone.

I believe the options that this game provides this season will be the difference maker.

I agree this video is a tad of a disappointment. But its still a day one purchase for me.

# 17 jd@os @ 11/03/08 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
I agree! There is a lot I'm not liking in this video....mainly with it being off sync..lol (joking Steve)

But my UNC Lineup was wrong!

Should have been Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Green and Keller!

And not Davis and Ginyard. And why does Ellington have a Afro? He's clean cut with a fade all the time, with the Long trimmed beard.

Game looked like MM08 with better animations. Even during crossovers and things like that, I didn't see much of Live 09 in there at all.

But again it is beta! So I'm guessing its a very early build, they did make a trailer running off the MM08 engine. Maybe its the same with this video.

On the plus side, it was much smoother and graphically a lot better than MM08 the stadiums are much brighter than they were last year. Still not as dynamically bright as CH 2k8. But with great detail.

Keep the videos coming Steve, don't get discouraged, we appreciate the efforts.

Try naming the players before recording, so we can hear the names instead of the numbers...
I haven't seen the video, but why did you say those guys should start for UNC? Looks like they're gonna start the same five as last year: Lawson, Ellington, Green (until Ginyard recovers), Hansbrough, and Thompson. Neither Ed Davis nor Tyler Zeller seems to have beaten Thompson out, but word is Davis is creeping up behind Deon.

# 18 iwearglovesndhat @ 11/03/08 06:12 PM
Ok. this game looks alright. But is there any type of superstar mode like in ncaa football 09 or is there any type of superstar in live 09 or nba 2k9? those are my favorite options. Also btw, college hoops 2k9 was cancelled

# 19 countryboy @ 11/03/08 07:09 PM
I'll let the demo have the final say, but I didn't dig the video. The court was extremely dark(I guess everyone is having to cut power due to the economy), and the gameplay just seemed arcadey.

I'll wait and decide after hands on time with the demo.

# 20 Pared @ 11/03/08 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Well seems like my worries are for naught. Always a good thing!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.