Home
NCAA March Madness 09 News Post

Some stuff you already knew:

Playable teams are Tennesse, Kentucky, 1979 North Carolina and 1982 Michigan State.

You play one half, which is locked at 8 minutes.

Pratice gym from Live is a half court blacktop on campus grounds.

Lots of half court traps and full court presses.

One dude I passed to was completely out of bounds. Only happened once though.

If you liked Live, you should like this as well.

NCAA Basketball 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Basketball 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 29 - View All
NCAA Basketball 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 countryboy @ 11/07/08 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
Man, reading some of the impressions here makes me wonder if I even played the same demo.

thats funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.

# 142 countryboy @ 11/07/08 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
This game is fun as hell, looking forward to it.
agreed. Although, I'll have to edit the appearances of some UofL players.

# 143 richie923 @ 11/07/08 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
agreed. Although, I'll have to edit the appearances of some UofL players.
But sometimes thats the fun of it

# 144 ehh @ 11/07/08 01:33 PM
Quote:
Man, reading some of the impressions here makes me wonder if I even played the same demo.

The game's animations are severely lacking. It looks to be about 30-40% complete, resulting in some very awkward looking plays just about every time down the court. No game it seems will ever look totally complete, because the sheer number of animations required... But man, that was just about the worst I've seen in a sports game in recent memory.

If you combine that with the freakish looking player models... Yikes!

The PS3 and 360 should not have to be subjected to this.

Seems like most people interested in this game are just more interested in getting a new game.

And the fatty consumer rides on, much to the chagrin of the horse he rides.
Different strokes for different folks.

You didn't make one comment on the gameplay in your post - good, bad or indifferent. Visually the game isn't going to be pleasing to some but I think the gameplay is going to pretty darn good. Unfortunately most people probably will A) not have a positive first impression in terms of visuals and won't give the gameplay a chance or B) won't take the time to learn the controls and get used to a new basketball game.

Oh well, it'll be their loss.

# 145 ehh @ 11/07/08 01:35 PM
And yeah, as mentioned above the classic teams are still a disaster. No Jimmy Black, Sam Perkins or Greg Kelser. Brutal.

# 146 countryboy @ 11/07/08 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

You didn't make one comment on the gameplay in your post - good, bad or indifferent. Visually the game isn't going to be pleasing to some but I think the gameplay is going to pretty darn good. Unfortunately most people probably will A) not have a positive first impression in terms of visuals and won't give the gameplay a chance or B) won't take the time to learn the controls and get used to a new basketball game.

agreed. Look, I admit its not the best looking game as far as player models out there, but it does a lot of good on the court.

Great graphics don't equal outstanding gameplay - see Madden/NCAA

Great gameplay doesn't equal outstanding visuals - see All Pro Football

# 147 Eski33 @ 11/07/08 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellisect
The bad news: The NBA Live 08 engine is still unusable garbage. Controls are squishy and sluggish. Animations are wild, lengthy, and weird. Player models are just not right.

The good news: NCAA Basketball 10 will probably be good because the NBA Live 09 engine is actually a passable basketball platform.

Oh well...
The Live 09 engine is in this game, not Live 08

# 148 PVarck31 @ 11/07/08 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

I really think it comes down to the fact that some prefer EA's style of basketball and other prefer 2K's.

I also think that for the guys who loved choops like it was their child, will never love or even like an EA basketball game.

For me, its a day one purchase.

# 149 ehh @ 11/07/08 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I also think that for the guys who loved choops like it was their child, will never love or even like an EA basketball game.

For me, its a day one purchase.
True. Blind fanboyism is sad. I loved 2K8 has much as anyone but I'm not dumb enough to believe it didn't have it's share of flaws and weak points.

If you told me last January when we found out CHoops was dead that March Madness 08's sequel would be as good as this demo is I wouldn't have believed you in a hundred years. I will definitely be reserving this next week.

# 150 Pared @ 11/07/08 02:37 PM
Quote:

The game's animations are severely lacking. It looks to be about 30-40% complete, resulting in some very awkward looking plays just about every time down the court. No game it seems will ever look totally complete, because the sheer number of animations required... But man, that was just about the worst I've seen in a sports game in recent memory.

If you combine that with the freakish looking player models... Yikes!

The PS3 and 360 should not have to be subjected to this.

Seems like most people interested in this game are just more interested in getting a new game.

And the fatty consumer rides on, much to the chagrin of the horse he rides.
That's a bit much but I know what you are saying. Given that... can you not be impressed by the resolution of the courts and how well they look?

EA has always had an issue with the games in motion but they are much better than they used to be.

It still annoys me how far FIFA has come and then you see this. But I will agree that people's "itch for something new" outweighs their ability to look at the game objectively. I wouldn't think you're bias from what I've read on your take of PYS but in that same vain, you can't judge this game from how it looks and animates alone. There are some good gameplay aspects that have improved immensely from previous games.

There are +'s in some areas and -'s in others. Most will ignore the -'s because the game engine feels new to them, much like Inside Drive, 2k6, and so forth.

Overall though, the game is far from trash as some will make it out to be. But it's frustrating that it's not there yet.

# 151 PaulZweber @ 11/07/08 02:54 PM
I for one was not the least bit impressed with anything other than the Tempo Feature. The game played slow, it looked dark, the players moved mechanically, the shot mechanics look unrealistic, players can stop on a dime to pull up(no momentum), players get forced into an animation that makes no sense in relation to the game being played, the coach in the corner was not helpful...This game reminds me of a late PS/ early PS2 game. I could see myself enjoying this IF the dynasty mode was deeper or we had better online options. The main gripe I have is with human passing vs cpu passing. When I make a pass, it might be going anywhere, it might be going nowhere. The button response just wasn't where it needs to be to make tight touch passes. My passes resulted in too many steals by the defense. When I am on defense, it is the opposite, I can be in the passing lane and have the ball go right through me, and not get a hand on it. The passing/stealing just didn't seem balanced correctly.

That being said, the Tempo was cool and something that can be built on. The game is not worthless, broken, or unplayable. The player spacing was something I liked, but it seemed like the players were actually smaller. I might be just imagining that. The fast breaks worked better than average, but passing made this more difficult than it needs to be.

This game will be worth a rental for me, I don't see a purchase of this game happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
That's a bit much but I know what you are saying. Given that... can you not be impressed by the resolution of the courts and how well they look?

EA has always had an issue with the games in motion but they are much better than they used to be.

It still annoys me how far FIFA has come and then you see this. But I will agree that people's "itch for something new" outweighs their ability to look at the game objectively. I wouldn't think you're bias from what I've read on your take of PYS but in that same vain, you can't judge this game from how it looks and animates alone. There are some good gameplay aspects that have improved immensely from previous games.

There are +'s in some areas and -'s in others. Most will ignore the -'s because the game engine feels new to them, much like Inside Drive, 2k6, and so forth.

Overall though, the game is far from trash as some will make it out to be. But it's frustrating that it's not there yet.

# 152 countryboy @ 11/07/08 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
Does any of this surprise you? You do notice who made this game?
Wow, what an objective opinion.

# 153 ehh @ 11/07/08 03:29 PM
Yeah, at least this game will keep us roster editors very busy for a long time. I plan on getting all the classic teams as accurate as possible.

# 154 colkilla @ 11/07/08 03:31 PM
i enjoyed the demo. picking up the full version day 1. between this and the new rosters for 2k8, should be a good college bball gaming season...

# 155 poster @ 11/07/08 04:02 PM
I am having fun with the demo and looking forward to playing it some more. Running an offense seems very fun in this game. Need to get the controls down better to be sure.

# 156 WarEagleTom @ 11/07/08 04:46 PM
I REALLY wanted to like it, but its horrible, unplayable and certainly not worth the money. No need to go into detail, already deleted the download.

# 157 TopDog @ 11/07/08 04:50 PM
I had no clue this game was in the works or even a demo was out till I scanned the new demos a while ago. I downloaded the game to give it a shot.

Let me say that I haven't played a Live game since the Genesis and haven't owned the 2k game since 2k7 (2k8 was a rental).

I am really surprised at how fun the game is. The tempo feature is great. You can really tell the difference between TN and Kentucky. Defensively, I think this game does the 2-3 zone much better than the 2k series, it just feels more natural. On the other hand, I tried pressing with TN and the players were all over the place. Kentucky zipped by to the hoop without any problem. I really need to practice with this D. Turnovers and picking off passes seemed realistic, not too many. Offensively, the give and go feature was easy to pick up for a n00b like me and I was able to score 19-26 points in each game. I had a couple of sweet dunks off the give and go that had my jaw dropping.

Not going to nitpick on clothes, shoes, or sound that much because fun is what it's all about for me and I realize this is a demo. I like Erin Andrews on the sidelines and she's definitely not MIA. She broke in 3 times in one of my games with some pretty decent info. The only funny things I've noticed are that Vitale sounds like he has a frog in his throat sometimes. And, is it just me, or does he call Nessler BRIAN on several occasions?

# 158 countryboy @ 11/07/08 05:29 PM
just had a funny play happen. I was backing down Patterson and he flopped but no call so I took it to the rim hard only to have to miss the dunk and have the ball shoot out to a player at my 3pt line and I drained the 3.

# 159 biglami @ 11/07/08 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I'm not fond of fat chicks, but if someone likes a little more lovin', all the power to him.
Robert Plant (lead singer of Led Zeppelin) said that a "Big leg woman aint got no soul"...thus leading me to think he wanst a big fan of fat chix...and he is my mentor in the ways of lust...so I must disagree and say that if a guy like fat chix, then he loses credibility in all matter, lol j/k...his credibility is only lost in matters of judging female talent...I like skinny chix myself

but yea I didnt see this thread and posted my impression in the main forum...I think I lije the game, but I dont know, I hope the grafix get upgraded when the full copy comes out...gameplaywise tho it seems simple, which is ok, considering how overly canned and complicated 2K has gotten (and obviously isnt even existing in CH 09)

# 160 TopDog @ 11/07/08 05:55 PM
Played another game as UT @ home against Kentucky. Played on All-Conference difficulty and I forced waaaayyy too many turnovers. I started out and stayed in the 2-3 zone for the entire game. I forced 12 turnovers, half stolen passes half steals, and won 24-10.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.