quickly, and from far out. You will now have to be more conservative
when shooting on the rush. If you aim all the way to the left or right,
your shot will go wide a lot more. Try aiming more towards the middle to
hit the net from outside. This fixes the cross goal where you shoot back
the other way, and the goal that goes in with the "curve" animation, and
a few others. There's a reason NHL players don't shoot from outside on
the rush very often. Dumping or trying to set up is a better play unless
you have an odd-man situation.

We reduced the time it took to get control of the goalie by 1/3.

When line changes are set to auto, and a user changes
lines/defense manually between whistles, the line/defensive pair you
asked for will come out (or stay out).

If you have line changes off in Be a Pro, line change player
chatter will be turned off.

When using a defenseman in BAP, BAP player won't get stuck on
the bench and will be able to call for change

The EASHL will now go to continuous 5v5 overtime until one team
scores. This way nobody has to sit out, and you get to decide who wins
(this is now just like the NHL Play-offs)

The proper own-goal cut scene will be shown where the player who
scored on himself is upset.

All cut scenes should now show players sitting in their
respective team's bench.

Increase AI team aggressiveness and the likelihood of them
getting called for a penalty on an infraction.

If Vision Control is pressed, you do not throw a hit when in
front of the attacking net. This helps with rebound shots.
Increase the likelihood of a penalty if the stick hits the body
during a stick lift.

Reduce the accuracy of shots for penalty shots and shootouts.
Aiming for just inside the post is a lot tougher now.
Just got prompted for an update. Have been trying things out, the most telling thing to me that I immediately tried out was the dump height, which after my d/l is different than before. Also, puck physics seem quite a bit different in a good way.

EDIT: It's the patch alright. Checked out the always up controls, dekeing is fixed. Unfortunately shot aim is still not correct.

EDIT: I don't know what some people were talking about in regards to shot accuracy being a problem. As long as you're shooting from a good platform the accuracy is just as good as before, some shots even seem to be better quality. You just can't be an idiot and shoot while skating full speed on the rush and expect to hot the net. Also whoever said this game was much better on SS post-patch was absolutely right. It's not even close, SS is fantastic after the patch. Haven't had any stupid goals or seen the cpu one-timer crazy. Can't wait to see what QB and some of the others have to say about this.

Edited by Millennium for front page posting. Good Job, Bad!

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Rattler17 @ 11/19/08 11:09 PM
Can someone tell me please if i am already in a Season and download the patch if it will take effect in my season aswell or am i going to have to start again from game 1?

# 142 JR360 @ 11/20/08 02:08 AM
It will take effect in the season right away. If you what slider changes you might want to put them back to defaults and reassess them, particularly if they are in areas affected by the the patch like shot accuracy.

# 143 tabulaRasa @ 11/20/08 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I don't know what I have to do to show that you can score from several places on the ice other that to document it in video proof as well as proof you can defend the dekes easily as well. I think your the one feeling it's bad because you are only using cheap methods to score cause you feel the other methods are too much work when it is not. I have faced alot of the dekers and cheap players and hold them to 1 or 0 goals cause they never get more than 3 shots against me.
Haha, I wasnīt saying players canīt score from different spots or angles , I was saying that the game is beneffiting players who abuse repetetive behaviour online, and then namely the area right in front to the close area of the crease.
And I wasnīt saying that I canīt protect dekes, or other cheapness, I was saying that the patch has changed the behaviour of players online to the worse, and by the patch EA benefits this behavoiur.

And no, my winning streak is still holding on , so this "complaining" is about that the game doesnīt benefit players who makes and effort and "work". Got it?

# 144 mgoblue @ 11/21/08 01:24 AM
After getting sucked into other games for a while I popped this in yesterday and have played 2 awesome games on All Star! I notice more penalties, and the flow of the game is just great. Both games as the Coyotes. Lost 2-1 against the Blackhawks, lost 3-2 against the Blue Jackets. I lost, but the games were intense and just so fun to play.

# 145 FlyingFinn @ 11/21/08 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
So esentially you're complaining that high percentage places to score from in the real NHL, are also high percentage scoring chances in the game, and its cheap because you have a hard time defending against dekes. Because thats what it sounds like. Learn to time poke checks and stick lifts and I promise you, people will have a much harder time walking into your zone tossing dekes.

Defense in 09 to me is so rewarding, it amazes me how many people have such a problem with it.

My biggest problem is my shot accuracy (especially after a few cold ones). In my last game, I had 18 minutes of attack time to 2 minutes for my opponent. My opponent had 64 hits and I had 6. I outshot him 29 to 6 and was leading 1-0 late in the third when he ran a created play that was designed to exploit the glitch goal when shooting near side when you are on the goal line and scored. I ended up losing in a shootout.

# 146 Hemi @ 11/21/08 12:19 PM
I am a bit of a newb to patches. But how do I get this patch to my PS3 game?

# 147 OSUFan_88 @ 11/21/08 01:02 PM
Wow, I've honestly never seen any of these glitch goals or my goalie sucking like that.

Maybe it has something to do with sliders.

# 148 DXZeke @ 11/21/08 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi
I am a bit of a newb to patches. But how do I get this patch to my PS3 game?
Make sure you are logged in online with your PS3... then put in NHL 09 and when the game starts to boot it will look and see that there's and update available. Then it will install the update.

If you can't access online, then you won't get the patch.

# 149 original6 @ 11/21/08 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
So esentially you're complaining that high percentage places to score from in the real NHL, are also high percentage scoring chances in the game, and its cheap because you have a hard time defending against dekes. Because thats what it sounds like. Learn to time poke checks and stick lifts and I promise you, people will have a much harder time walking into your zone tossing dekes.

Defense in 09 to me is so rewarding, it amazes me how many people have such a problem with it.
I think what 'Rasa is saying is that because the effectiveness of scoring from outside has been dumbed down post-patch, that less-skilled online players are completely abandoning the outside/point game and solely focusing on in offense in front of the net. It seems he doesn't have a hard time defending that type of gameplay, but rather it makes for a boring match since he doesn't have to worry about defending the points. As he has repeatedly stated, he's still winning, it's just not as fun anymore post-patch.

As far as benefitting less-skilled players, I think he's saying that reducing the effectiveness of the outside game only hurts the more-skilled players because they are the ones who typically will have a varied attack. So, a player like himself that will also work the points as well as the slot and down low, is having his scoring effectiveness reduced by the patch. This makes it easier for less-skilled defenders to play defense because less shots from outside are finding the net.

# 150 IBYCFOTA @ 11/21/08 03:28 PM
Rasa definitely has some legit points regarding the patch. However I strongly disagree that it is worse than before the patch. I do think they overdid the shot accuracy tweak, but far too many goals were scored off of the cheese goal or just in general outside shots that went in on an unscreened goalie. Those goals are extremely rare in the NHL. I'd rather them simply fix the AI goalies than tweak shot accuracy, but I still prefer this style of play overall.

The biggest thing about the patch is that it really promotes team play and setting things up. Before the patch you had to focus on defending the high slot because those were the high percentage shots. Not only is that unrealistic but it's also extremely boring. After the patch teams that do things like that get punished because those goals rarely go in and most importantly end their offensive drive most of the time. At least with the one timers they require the other team to set it up and have teamwork, and it's a lot easier to defend at least for me as a defenseman than the cheese shot.

I just wish the goalie would knock away passes in the crease. Those are really the cheesiest one timers and they're also the most effective.

# 151 nyr30 @ 11/21/08 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr30
The goals i am losing in this game are a joke, playing good defense just isnt rewarded, i dont mind losing the odd strange goal but if the AI wants to score it just feels like it will do whatever it takes to do it.

these are in the same game

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2314966

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2310942

I also had one of those goals that never crossed the line given against me, thats what started the AI on its momentum. it really is sickening.

I thought i'd post another couple of beauties the AI scored when i was leading against the Ducks, that is about 6 really bad goals now in about 5 matches since i started saving them.

I was up 2-1 on the Ducks and then with 4 mins to go thats when it started you just have to laugh

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2348241

Then in overtime this one happened, this isnt so bad because i should have done better but when i was trying to poke check it didnt work.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2348270

I am starting to look forward to the 2K9 update even more now.

# 152 Franchizz @ 11/22/08 05:12 AM
I am curious if anyone has a suggestion for increasing penalties to your own team besides purposely hooking the computer? It would seem now that the computer can average 3-5 penalties a game (although still many games were they have none) yet I never am called for anything. It does make the game rather one sided in the long haul.

# 153 nyr30 @ 11/22/08 08:24 AM
Quote:
I thought i'd post another couple of beauties the AI scored when i was leading against the Ducks, that is about 6 really bad goals now in about 5 matches since i started saving them.

I was up 2-1 on the Ducks and then with 4 mins to go thats when it started you just have to laugh

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2348241

Then in overtime this one happened, this isnt so bad because i should have done better but when i was trying to poke check it didnt work.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2348270

I am starting to look forward to the 2K9 update even more now.

Well this will be the last 2 AI goals i post because i wont be playing this piece of crap again, all game the AI tries every way possible to get the cheapest goals and i have had enough.

2K9 might not be as good looking but when you play it you dont feel cheated. this first one was the Sharks 3rd goal and i dont even think it goes all the way over but thats not what bothers me, its the way my goalie flops around and my men never come up with the loose puck in a scramble.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2357071

this last one made it 4-3 and turned out to be the winner, in slow motion you can see my poke check but the dman's stick actually goes through the puck but doesnt poke the puck away, it just skips up and goes perfectly to the Sharks player to score the winner.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2357096

It just not rewarding for me to get screwed over every game by the AI, in my Dynasty i have seen ridiculous amounts of instances where the AI gets all the breaks and lucky goals but i never see anything go in my favour, i work my *** off to get goals by setting up, mixing up my plays, using created plays but why should i bother when the whole game is an exercise in screwing you over.

No more

# 154 bad_philanthropy @ 11/22/08 01:47 PM
Quote:
Well this will be the last 2 AI goals i post because i wont be playing this piece of crap again, all game the AI tries every way possible to get the cheapest goals and i have had enough.

2K9 might not be as good looking but when you play it you dont feel cheated. this first one was the Sharks 3rd goal and i dont even think it goes all the way over but thats not what bothers me, its the way my goalie flops around and my men never come up with the loose puck in a scramble.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2357071

this last one made it 4-3 and turned out to be the winner, in slow motion you can see my poke check but the dman's stick actually goes through the puck but doesnt poke the puck away, it just skips up and goes perfectly to the Sharks player to score the winner.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2357096

It just not rewarding for me to get screwed over every game by the AI, in my Dynasty i have seen ridiculous amounts of instances where the AI gets all the breaks and lucky goals but i never see anything go in my favour, i work my *** off to get goals by setting up, mixing up my plays, using created plays but why should i bother when the whole game is an exercise in screwing you over.

No more
The first goal was kind of flukey, but the second a big player in Getzlaf got the puck down low and banged it home in a high percentage area. The third goal you posted you completely skated away from Thornton with Staal leaving him all alone down low. Stay on him, try to lift his stick to give Lundqvist an opportunity to snap up the puck up. Fourth goal you tried to poke check when your defenseman wasn't in position to make a play on the puck.

The poke check in the game seems designed to work when you have the right body position. If you up the poke check or lower the possession slider you might be able to tune it more to your likeing. But in that particular video instead of closing the gap and taking his space away you skated right through his path to the net. I find that if I get my body in the way first that I have a lot more success with the poke check.

In the NHL you won't see a defenseman trying to defend a player driving to the net by trying to use a poke check first, he'll use his body to close off the space and then use the poke check.

# 155 catcatch22 @ 11/22/08 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
The first goal was kind of flukey, but the second a big player in Getzlaf got the puck down low and banged it home in a high percentage area. The third goal you posted you completely skated away from Thornton with Staal leaving him all alone down low. Stay on him, try to lift his stick to give Lundqvist an opportunity to snap up the puck up. Fourth goal you tried to poke check when your defenseman wasn't in position to make a play on the puck.

The poke check in the game seems designed to work when you have the right body position. If you up the poke check or lower the possession slider you might be able to tune it more to your likeing. But in that particular video instead of closing the gap and taking his space away you skated right through his path to the net. I find that if I get my body in the way first that I have a lot more success with the poke check.

In the NHL you won't see a defenseman trying to defend a player driving to the net by trying to use a poke check first, he'll use his body to close off the space and then use the poke check.
Yeah those goals didn't look like cheap weak goals but goals you basically got beat on. They definitely score cheap weak goals on you from time to time but I wouldn't call those weak cheap ones.

# 156 nyr30 @ 11/22/08 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
Yeah those goals didn't look like cheap weak goals but goals you basically got beat on. They definitely score cheap weak goals on you from time to time but I wouldn't call those weak cheap ones.

Its not just the goals its the way the game feels on defense too, at times i try simple passes coming out my own zone and it will go in a completely different direction and get picked off. its like the controls get confused when under pressure and this always seems to happen when the AI gets a bit of momentum.

I hope everyone who is enjoying the game continues to do so but for me i am going to take a break from it.

My record in dynasty of (23-10-0-1) and after making my first trade of Prucha + Rissmiller for Lundqvist and Crombeen i am still going to leave it, i will still be on this forum checking threads to see whats happening.

# 157 bjackets @ 11/22/08 11:27 PM
Quote:
Its not just the goals its the way the game feels on defense too, at times i try simple passes coming out my own zone and it will go in a completely different direction and get picked off. its like the controls get confused when under pressure and this always seems to happen when the AI gets a bit of momentum.

I hope everyone who is enjoying the game continues to do so but for me i am going to take a break from it.

My record in dynasty of (23-10-0-1) and after making my first trade of Prucha + Rissmiller for Lundqvist and Crombeen i am still going to leave it, i will still be on this forum checking threads to see whats happening.
I'm with you....I had enough as well and have been really enjoying 2K hockey which is very unusual for me......EA's game has the most blatant cheating I've ever seen. I've noticed all the things you mentioned plus I saw numerous instances of the AI's stick traveling right through my players body parts in order to perform clean puck steals. There is one particular cheat when the AI is behind late in the game where you can not skate the puck out from behind your own net anywhere close to an AI defender or you will risk the stick through the body.... swipe the puck super clean ....and perfect shot quick score cheat. It happens so fast and is so fixed that I just finally said enough already.

ohiost

# 158 catcatch22 @ 11/23/08 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
I'm with you....I had enough as well and have been really enjoying 2K hockey which is very unusual for me......EA's game has the most blatant cheating I've ever seen. I've noticed all the things you mentioned plus I saw numerous instances of the AI's stick traveling right through my players body parts in order to perform clean puck steals. There is one particular cheat when the AI is behind late in the game where you can not skate the puck out from behind your own net anywhere close to an AI defender or you will risk the stick through the body.... swipe the puck super clean ....and perfect shot quick score cheat. It happens so fast and is so fixed that I just finally said enough already.

ohiost
I only see this happen with high pass intercept. With it at 6 they literally take the puck right off your stick.

# 159 draven085 @ 11/24/08 08:29 AM
I'd suggest that anyone concerned with an overwhelming feeling of 'cheapness' on the part of the AI turn down the AI learning slider. After messing around with different settings for a while I feel fairly confident in saying that this slider really ought to be called 'AI Cheapness'. With a lower setting the AI wins less loose puck battles, maintains possession of the puck under defensive harassment less effectively, and generally plays what feels like a much more fair game. This slider seems to be the catch-all way to improve the AI's game vis-a-vis a human user since there are not seperate sliders for each.

For the record I'm playing on Superstar with AI Learning set at one click.

# 160 catcatch22 @ 11/24/08 09:30 AM
To be honest the game is king of ruined for me but for a different reason then what all you guys are complaining about. The AI for whatever reason post patch can not beat me anymore unless I just play a bad game which after playing this series for 2 years, just isn't happening much at all. The changes they made have made the AI too easy. Now I wish they can score cheap goals on me again.

It is really frustrating since I like that they take less onetimers and the shots have a less accurate feel to them. However I find that the AI to this years game in scoring and passing the puck to be worst than last years game. They are too slot, behind net and board happy. Last year they would incorporate the defenseman and beat you with goals from the blue line. I don't think they have ever beaten me with a blue line goal this year. I can beat them with blue line goals but the AI defense can't do it. So as of right now offline is a waste for me cause it seems that pre patch the AI made up for blue line defficiencies by having them score the weak goals.

I like the changes online except for one item. The passing is just rediculous. All people do is pass - pass - pass like it is pingball with out ever aiming or anything with strong tape to tape passes thus make the game feel like pingball. There is no missed passes and the game speed is too fast making it not really fun.

Weak AI offline, poor online feel because of the super accurate fast passes causes me to not wanna play anymore.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.