Home
News Post

Simulation sports games make up an interesting genre. They are not typically the type of games that can reel people in who are not actually fans of the sport -- hence the reason there are also arcade sports titles. However, every once in a while a title comes along that is so good that it makes non-fans want to go and watch a real-life match. MVP 2005 was one of those rare games that crossed borders, and in my book, so is FIFA 09.

Many games could learn from the latest FIFA because it does so much right. One of the things it does amazingly well is the gameplay. The highest compliment you can pay to a game is when you believe something new can happen every time you play it. Many developers are so concerned with adding new features that they forget to create the appropriate foundation for a solid simulation that is fun to play. FIFA however, has done a good job of imitating the sport with its ball physics, animations and atmosphere all in one.

Read More - What Lessons to Take from FIFA 09

Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The Radness @ 12/17/08 11:06 AM
Agreed. I haven't played a soccer game since like '94 or so, but I was looking for a new game and I heard FIFA09 was good so I picked it up. I can NOT stop playing the BAP online. When you get a game with 10v10, it can get pretty exciting especially with the crowd and announcers sounded as good as they do.

# 2 jwmw9207 @ 12/17/08 01:56 PM
this is why i am voting fifa 09 the game of the year! i love this game i can play three different modes that are well done everytime i turn on the game. somedays i feel like playing be a pro other days i may wanna play manager mode. On sundays i usually play with my club games. just an awesome experience.

# 3 royals_fan_16 @ 12/17/08 03:18 PM
Fifa 09 is an amazing game. I really hope they put some kind of online manager mode next year similar to NCAA Football.

# 4 jwmw9207 @ 12/17/08 03:29 PM
i was hoping madden would take the 10 v 10 model and do like 5 v 5.. it would require hardcore gamers but if done right it would be awesome.

# 5 buzzguy @ 12/17/08 04:53 PM
FIFA 09 is truly awesome! My fav version is on the PSP, despite the fact that I owned the 360 version. Loved the portable rendition so much that I traded my 360 copy on Goozex!

Actually, now I kind of want it back...

# 6 stoncold32 @ 12/17/08 05:07 PM
the 10 v 10 is insane on this game, and works really well. So far I have had no lag issues at all, which is rather amazing.

# 7 Gossennator @ 12/17/08 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
the 10 v 10 is insane on this game, and works really well. So far I have had no lag issues at all, which is rather amazing.
NCAA Football needs to take a page out of Fifa's book. The online is flawless and it would be nice if they could start to set up a 7v7 for it.

# 8 Stulad @ 12/17/08 09:15 PM
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

FIFA 09 is not an example of a football game where anything can happen - where are the handballs, dives and dodgy refereeing decisions?

The commentary team agree with everything that happens on the pitch - totally unlike real life. There is no controversy or excitement and every game plays out in the same fashion, excitement may come from scoring a last minute winner, but there is no "I can't believe that just happened" moments at all. Gone are the days when a freakish game of pro evo 5 left me with 2 goalie sending offs and Rio Ferdinand keeping me in the game. Also the games that my uni mates and I would argue over thanks to a last minute penalty that was outside the box. FIFA's refereeing is too precise, the atmosphere does not change from a cup game to a friendly and the commentary team are far restrained from a real life Sky Sports broadcast.

That said, the game has an amazing engine - they should keep this as it is and concentrate on bringing TV presentation and atmosphere to the next game, along with a healthy dose of unpredictability...and for god's sake - make it easier to round the goalkeeper!

# 9 asu666 @ 12/18/08 10:28 AM
+Game Play
+Defensive Switching on Right Stick
+Licensing
+Graphics
+Touch Play on Right Stick
+Not too much Raise on Every Shot (you here me PES 09)

-Removed Ability to Change Kit Numbers Manually
-No Master League Type Mode (Only the Best in the World Allowed)

# 10 schnibsey @ 01/27/09 04:21 PM
I purchased the PC version as it had been a while since I last played Fifa football (98 on the playstation). I have found the game way too complicated the the instruction manual is completely inadequate. In the online game I found my Xbox controller wont work although it will against the AI (work that one out) and yes I have checked the controllers menu. In my opinion they have tried to cram too much into the experince with so many gaming options. I wouldnt recommend it.

# 11 BlyGilmore @ 02/05/09 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stulad
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

FIFA 09 is not an example of a football game where anything can happen - where are the handballs, dives and dodgy refereeing decisions?

The commentary team agree with everything that happens on the pitch - totally unlike real life. There is no controversy or excitement and every game plays out in the same fashion, excitement may come from scoring a last minute winner, but there is no "I can't believe that just happened" moments at all. Gone are the days when a freakish game of pro evo 5 left me with 2 goalie sending offs and Rio Ferdinand keeping me in the game. Also the games that my uni mates and I would argue over thanks to a last minute penalty that was outside the box. FIFA's refereeing is too precise, the atmosphere does not change from a cup game to a friendly and the commentary team are far restrained from a real life Sky Sports broadcast.

That said, the game has an amazing engine - they should keep this as it is and concentrate on bringing TV presentation and atmosphere to the next game, along with a healthy dose of unpredictability...and for god's sake - make it easier to round the goalkeeper!
handballs would be nice. had one last night that had to have hit the guys hand inadvertantly and it wasn't called.

the other stuff though I don't agree with. i'd much rather be playing a nice clean game of soccer than having to deal with the worser elements out there. (IMO one of the dumbest things Madden did was add blown calls so you could challenge them).

and with the commentary you often hear "well i don't know what they were thinking there" and "he really needed to score there" or "he's got to be kicking himself - he had a great opportunity and couldn't capitalize!" type calls.

# 12 Pared @ 02/05/09 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
(IMO one of the dumbest things Madden did was add blown calls so you could challenge them)
How would you handle this then? From a game development mindset, that's really one of the most ideal ways to incorporate human error into the officiating.

Unless blatantly obvious calls get ignored...?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.