Home
News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their exclusive first look at MLB '09: The Show, including some new screenshots.

Quote:
"Think A-Rod chokes in the clutch? Ever shout "Dodgers suck!" or yell "Drewwwwwww" when J.D. walks up to the plate? MLB 09 is about to bring out the crazed fan in all of us as not only can you record your voice screaming anything from "Where's Madonna?" to "we want a pitcher not a belly itcher" and put it in the game thanks to peripherals like the Rock Band mic and wireless headset, the fan yells will sound like your voice actually coming from the stands. You can even assign the recordings to be part of a chant and your voice will be put through a new process so that it sounds more like a crowd chanting "over-rated" and not just a single person yelling."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 BKAraujo @ 12/19/08 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
Does this mean we can finaly make a force out at second base?
I think so, I am hoping.

# 62 Marino @ 12/19/08 02:21 PM
Time to start a countdown thread. Any good players were number 73?

And well there goes my spring and summer.

I am soooo excited.

# 63 Knight165 @ 12/19/08 02:21 PM
If they post a screenie that shows rain....they better post a disclaimer first, or they may have a ton of lawsuits from the wives of the guys that drop dead of a heart attack here.

M.K.
Knight165

# 64 Marino @ 12/19/08 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
If they post a screenie that shows rain....they better post a disclaimer first, or they may have a ton of lawsuits from the wives of the guys that drop dead of a heart attack here.

M.K.
Knight165

then...

then...

then...

then....

The Show can do that to people.

# 65 nemesis04 @ 12/19/08 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
I would think there would be some type of precipitation, otherwise the crowd would change for hot and cold weather only?

# 66 JibJab 24 @ 12/19/08 02:38 PM
Maybe weather will be in the game, but just not dynamic. At this point any type of weather effects will be nice, even if it's just temperature changes and no rain effects.

Great preview also, I have to stop reading these since March will take forever to get here if these previews are constantly rolling out.

# 67 nemesis04 @ 12/19/08 02:38 PM
Quote:
What I would like to know is if there is indeed weather how much will it really afect the gameplay?
I am speculating here but I would think if it affected gameplay it would have been mentioned. The first go around could just be eye candy.

# 68 ckarlic @ 12/19/08 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I am speculating here but I would think if it affected gameplay it would have been mentioned. The first go around could just be eye candy.
You may be right nem..In any case, weather in any form, would be a step in the right direction.

# 69 PhantomPain @ 12/19/08 03:22 PM
The first thing I thought of when I read that about the weather is that the crowd will wear shorts and short sleeves on hot summer days, maybe pants and short sleeves on cool to warm nights, and pants and long sleeves in the winter with maybe jackets on?

Regardless, this game looks killer and like everyone else I am foaming at the mouth!

I was hoping for Home Run Derby and some classic stadiums in this year's game. Those wouldn't be too much of a selling point so hopefully they just are mentioned as features yet.

# 70 countryboy @ 12/19/08 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
thats what I'm thinking. It will only be a visual effect. Honestly, I would prefer it only be a visual effect at first, unless they intend to include rain delays, which lead to rain outs, which lead to double headers.

# 71 countryboy @ 12/19/08 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
The first thing I thought of when I read that about the weather is that the crowd will wear shorts and short sleeves on hot summer days, maybe pants and short sleeves on cool to warm nights, and pants and long sleeves in the winter with maybe jackets on?

Regardless, this game looks killer and like everyone else I am foaming at the mouth!

I was hoping for Home Run Derby and some classic stadiums in this year's game. Those wouldn't be too much of a selling point so hopefully they just are mentioned as features yet.
I agree with your assessment of how the "crowd dressing to the weather" will work. What you said is exactly what I'm expecting. Anything more and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, I'm with you on the HR Derby and Classic Stadiums. I love playing games in the old fields...ahh, the history of baseball.

# 72 bcruise @ 12/19/08 03:29 PM
Where did that Fenway shot come from (the first one posted in this thread)? All I see in the review is a gallery with 5 screens, and that's not one of them.

Whoops - yes it is, the thumbnail wasn't enough for me to tell at first. Sorry.

# 73 countryboy @ 12/19/08 03:50 PM
Quote:
I am pretty sure I remember hearing that Home Run Derby will be in this year!
I hope you're right!!

# 74 Knight165 @ 12/19/08 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
don't know of too many games played in the winter....
Haha..

You know he meant cold weather.
I'd be happy with shorts during warm months(or even just going by what the temp is regardless of month) and longsleeves/jackets during the colder fall weather and early spring games.

M.K.
Knight165

# 75 ckarlic @ 12/19/08 03:55 PM
Quote:
O Crap this is not too good

I just found the feature list for MLB 08 The Show and some of the things on the list are in the 09 version feature list!

From MLB 08 The Show list!

• In-Game MLB Live Scores – Using our new top of the screen Score Bar display, gamers will get updates on what is going on in the Majors. Along with scores and inning, gamers will also see notables, such as HR’s, complete games, etc.

Am I missing something? We do not get In-Game MLB Live Scores during gameplay in 08!

I guess this will be no different for 09

• Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology, MLB 08 THE SHOW provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.

Well I guess this is not new after all! Which means will still may have the same fielding issues as in 07 and 08

See the rest here http://www.sportsgamer.com/forums/ml...t-details.html
That's a good find dude...Even though these features arent new, im sure that the 09 version will be way improved..especially when it comes to Branch Point Technology

# 76 Knight165 @ 12/19/08 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
That's a good find dude...Even though these features arent new, im sure that the 09 version will be way improved..especially when it comes to Branch Point Technology
We've kind of already established that some of this stuff is heaped on ....on top of things listed for '08.
At least I thought it was apparent.

M.K.
Knight165

# 77 Knight165 @ 12/19/08 03:59 PM
Sorry...I meant to quote mikey...

M.K.
Knight165

# 78 bcruise @ 12/19/08 04:06 PM
Quote:
Hotshot Fielding
A ball is smashed right at the third baseman. In past games, if the fielder is standing in the path of the ball, more times than not he's automatically going to make that catch. MLB 09 is adding some new calculations to the mix to include more dynamic fielder reactions as some balls will simply be too hot to handle and your player will drop the line drive or misplay the ball entirely depending on the velocity of the hit and the fielder's defensive ratings.
Hehe...can't wait for the cries of "ZOMG COMEBACK CODE", when one of someone's players Buckner's one that costs them the game. I like it though - unpredictablility is good. Should increase the number of fielding errors, too.

# 79 PhantomPain @ 12/19/08 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
don't know of too many games played in the winter....
LOL...you are right

And yes I meant cold weather but I am sure everyone already knew that

# 80 Stroehms @ 12/19/08 04:20 PM
Sounds and looks11 good. Can't wait

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.