Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Pasta Padre has posted the features list for Major League Baskeball 2K9.

Quote:
"As expected it appears that they’ve attempted to simplify several aspects of the game. The trading card system looks to have been improved and more has been done to add to the authenticity of the experience. Providing the basics such as a smooth framerate and solid online performance are a necessity for this year, but other than those things is there enough here to deliver the game consumers have been hoping for?"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Blzer @ 01/09/09 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH
This may be a dumb question, but could someone explain what Zone Hitting actually is?
I tried my best for a full-out explanation in the thread below:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-hitting.html

# 62 Skyboxer @ 01/09/09 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
About time we get some info... Zone Hitting FTW
If this game plays a decent game of baseball and does indeed have true zone hitting I'll at least give it a try.

# 63 Skyboxer @ 01/09/09 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Take a note right now: Do not make the influence hit mechanic too influential and powerful.

That's all I ask.
Exactly! If the pitch is in a location that no matter what it physically could never be hit in the air in "real life" and yet I "influence" it to the air then we have a problem. Also is it true zone hitting or like the Shows zone hitting?

# 64 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/09/09 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
If this game plays a decent game of baseball and does indeed have true zone hitting I'll at least give it a try.
Good to hear. BTW Happy Be-lated B-DAY...

# 65 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/09 08:59 PM
Lets all just hope they execute the things well. It is one thing to swoon us with a list. It is another to have poor, choppy, and glitchy executions of said things.

Just like, I can care less if players come in and out of dugouts/bullpens, or vendors walk the isles, if the crowd sits 3 seats apart just to achieve a desirable framerate.

Just an example.

# 66 green94 @ 01/09/09 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Oh man, I apologize. I thought you thought they were trying to tell us that they are basically capturing the similar essence of a baseball game that one would see in real life, and IMO that's not what they mean, but instead they are doing that real time integration where everything loads seamlessly in one world, if that makes sense.

Just make sure you don't take their statement as we'll actually see blades of grass grow if we zoom in close enough for a long period of time. What it means is that it is all one constant stream, as opposed to being split by pitch, or by batter, or by inning, or whatever it may be. We should be able to watch our favorite player enter the dugout and sit down after a home run, they may even run out for the celebration after a walkoff, I don't know. But basically, cut scenes are part of the same game that we're playing, only that we don't control them and they are with different camera angles.

Again, I hope that makes sense.
Man if something like your example is in the game, that would be the nuts.

# 67 Kotter @ 01/09/09 10:59 PM
Well, this is the first year since the NFL licensing agreement that I got fed up with the crap Madden was selling and went back to the basics and played only 2k5.

I have been a very loyal 2k fan (back to the World Series Baseball games) but this list is not even close to what I'm looking for in a baseball game. Therefore it may be back to the basics again and instead of buying a PS3 just for The Show, I think I'll end up picking it up for the PS2. Just like Madden, 2K baseball just isn't worth buying anymore, simple as that.

# 68 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/09 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
i think that is a mistake about the show having zone hitting, at least i sure don't see it, getting back to 2k9 having zone hitting i hope its like espn2k4 where it was a true zone hitting (variable) and not simplistic zone hitting like hh had (9 zones).

I know if a pitch is pretty low in The Show, and I try to "influence" a fly ball, 99% of the time I hit in in the dirt for a ground ball.

# 69 FocusYoMindOnDis @ 01/10/09 08:48 AM
i will buy it, hopefully it is playable...thats all i ask for...i have both next gen systems, and variety is the spice of life...so if i have 2 good games im happy.

# 70 brendanrfoley @ 01/10/09 10:31 AM
The feature list shows a back-to-basics approach. I liked 2K8, that it was a B+ game under a D+ presentation. This list gives me hope Visual Concepts is going to even out the experience and deliver a solid baseball title.

Quote:
Pitching

* Pitching – Unique pitching controls with increased accessibility for pick-up-and-play users.

* Improved pitching controls - Simplified controls to 2-step pitching – hold and gesture

* Catcher’s will call for pitches according to the hitter’s weaknesses
It sounds like they kept Total Control Pitching, which is fantastic. "Meatballs" may have been misguided or implemented incorrectly, but the pitching gestures themselves were a blast. It kept the game fresh, and each pitcher's motion had it's own timing. I loved it and I'm glad they kept it.

Quote:
Hitting

* Influence hit – The users will be able to influence a fly ball or groundball with new controls.

* New bunting controls – Improved bunting will make it easier to lay down a bunt.

* Zone hitting – Users will be able to put the bat on the ball with our new zone hitting feature.

* Hit distribution – Improved hit distribution for a wide variety of hits.
Bunting needed an overhaul, especially in drag situations. I am also encouraged that VC is selling "improved hit distribution" as a feature. That one isn't for the casual baseball fan, that is a nod to people like us. It seems the developers are working on tuning the core experience and making sure 2K9 feels "right" in the field.

Quote:
Fielding

* Fielding – Upgraded fielding system with new ability to quick throw when in a rush.

* Fielding AI – Improved fielding AI will highlight the player’s true ability.

* Quick Throws – Quick throws will allow the user to throw on the run or start a double play quicker.

* Hold the ball – Users will be able to cancel a throw and throw to a different direction on the fly.
I'm interested in what the fielding changes actually are. I never had a problem snapping off throws in 2K9.

Quote:
Signature Style

* More than 300 new signature animations, making MLB2K9 the most realistic baseball sim to date.
MLB 2K8 was loaded with stances and pitching motions, 300 more is ridiculous. Every opening day player on the Red Sox had their own batting motion... how many more were there to add? Signature Styles is one of 2K's best features, and I'm jazzed to see more.

Quote:
Real-time Living World

* Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time.

* Players will move from the dugout to the batter’s box and from the bullpen to the mound.

* Umpire, ball boys, coaches – All onfield personnel will be moving naturally to and from their positions.

* Vendors move in the crowd

* Fans react to home runs and foul balls
I'm with Blzer on this one. I interpret "real time" to mean the end of "scripted" cut scenes.

For example, a pitcher recording the third out while covering first in 2K8 would be shown seconds later walking off the mound in the "end of inning" scene. There was no awareness of what happened on the field.

In 2K9, players will head straight from where they are to the dugout. I'm sure we'll get different camera angles, but it will all be real time. There is nothing for the game to "load," the engine will just switch cameras. This will make the game much smoother.

As for vendors in the crowd? I doubt that would work with 2K8's crowd logic/presentation. My guess, they went back to the more robust crowd of 2K7 or re-worked the crowds completely.

We also know that, by the time 2K8 was about to ship, a new art director was already in the process of redoing all the stadiums.

I, for one, am excited!

# 71 CMH @ 01/10/09 01:17 PM
As long as there are no meatballs, I'm game.

# 72 Blzer @ 01/10/09 02:11 PM
Quote:
most likely thats simply because of ball location, what i want to see is if the ball is low in the zone and i hold up on the L stick i want to see my player swing at the top of the zone not at the bottom where the ball is, thats zone hitting to me but not the case in mlb08.
In The Show, you influence your swing with the right stick prior to the pitch. Even if you aim down to make contact, you still have an uppercut influence. And he's right... it's rare that you get a fly ball out of it.

# 73 BadKermit @ 01/10/09 02:13 PM
The list looks great to me, particularly this:

Quote:
* Simplified controls for the user for stealing and baserunning.
THANK YOU.

# 74 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/09 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
In The Show, you influence your swing with the right stick prior to the pitch. Even if you aim down to make contact, you still have an uppercut influence. And he's right... it's rare that you get a fly ball out of it.

There has also been plenty of pitches I have swung over or under as well.

# 75 Blzer @ 01/10/09 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
There has also been plenty of pitches I have swung over or under as well.
Que?

Maybe I jumped in the wrong part of the conversation. Back up.

# 76 Benz87 @ 01/10/09 06:34 PM
There was nothing that really cought my eye and got me excited, just a bunch of simplifying for easy "pick up and play", not necesarily what I wanted. I like depth and having something to set my skills apart from somone else. Still not enough information to make any assumtions though. It will get a purchase wether good or not by default.

# 77 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/09 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwon0709
It will get a purchase wether good or not by default.

Things like this just plain confuse me. If it is not good, then why reward them with a sale?

# 78 Skyboxer @ 01/10/09 07:17 PM
Quote:
i think that is a mistake about the show having zone hitting, at least i sure don't see it, getting back to 2k9 having zone hitting i hope its like espn2k4 where it was a true zone hitting (variable) and not simplistic zone hitting like hh had (9 zones).
Yep. The Shows zone hitting is not really zone hitting.

# 79 Skyboxer @ 01/10/09 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I know if a pitch is pretty low in The Show, and I try to "influence" a fly ball, 99% of the time I hit in in the dirt for a ground ball.
True. What I'm saying is about 2K9. If it does have influence then hopefully it's done right.

# 80 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/09 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
True. What I'm saying is about 2K9. If it does have influence then hopefully it's done right.
Well exactly.

The Show did it right for their system, where as a low ball, chances are depending on the batter, pitcher, count, etc., the ball will be driver into the dirt, same for high pitches with pop-ups.

2K better do it right with their system, and not have it where, okay I aimed low in the zone because the pitch was there, so *bam* I made solid contact. When 99% of the time in baseball, it will be driven into the dirt.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.