Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has just posted their MLB 09 The Show blog, featuring Franchise Mode enhancements.

Quote:
"Hey everyone - MLB FE team here to bring you the first installment of the MLB 09 The Show blogs. For this entry, we’ll be talking about some of the details that have gone into the Franchise mode enhancements.

When we set out this year’s plan, one of our goals was to blow out the personnel aspects of the Franchise experience. Starting with the beginning of spring training, the rosters you will carry into spring will be those of their real-life counterpart, the long awaited 40-man rosters. Now you will have to manage your Spring Training roster a little more carefully to ensure your young players get the looks they need.

Moving on to the regular season, you will now be dealing with many of the various roster-related items all GMs have to deal with. You will be in control of designating players for assignment, waiver transactions, handling Minor League options, and managing your 40-man roster. Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 cnelly4 @ 01/13/09 01:14 PM
Playstation.Blog has just posted their MLB 09 The Show blog, featuring Franchise Mode enhancements.

Quote:
"Hey everyone - MLB FE team here to bring you the first installment of the MLB 09 The Show blogs. For this entry, we’ll be talking about some of the details that have gone into the Franchise mode enhancements.

When we set out this year’s plan, one of our goals was to blow out the personnel aspects of the Franchise experience. Starting with the beginning of spring training, the rosters you will carry into spring will be those of their real-life counterpart, the long awaited 40-man rosters. Now you will have to manage your Spring Training roster a little more carefully to ensure your young players get the looks they need.

Moving on to the regular season, you will now be dealing with many of the various roster-related items all GMs have to deal with. You will be in control of designating players for assignment, waiver transactions, handling Minor League options, and managing your 40-man roster. Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason."

# 2 cnelly4 @ 01/13/09 01:23 PM
After seeing this, I have been doing research online for arbitration and waivers. This is going to be great. Anyone Philly fans know what Jimmy Rollins contract is? They show a screen shot of it in the blog and I am wondering how close it is to real life?

# 3 PsychoBulk @ 01/13/09 01:27 PM
Seems like a massive enhancement to the franchise mode in terms of contracts/free agents/arbitration etc.

Looks great.

# 4 slickdtc @ 01/13/09 01:28 PM
Looking good. Now you're really going to be in the role of the GM/owner.

# 5 Marino @ 01/13/09 01:28 PM
So is it March 3rd yet?

# 6 Shakedowncapo @ 01/13/09 01:29 PM
Jimmy's contract is nowhere near that...Dude is only due to make 7.5mil, 7.5mil, 8.5mil..

# 7 bcruise @ 01/13/09 01:31 PM
Can we each take turns smacking this guy?

SantanaClaus89 | January 13th, 2009 at 10:13 am
No thanks. I don’t pay $60 every year for the same game with one minor difference.

Anyway, I like there's going to be a handbook in the game to explain all this stuff - I know stuff like 40-man and the draft, but different free agent types and arby are going to take some time to learn.

Love the depth, though! Can't wait to hear more about the game.

# 8 duke776 @ 01/13/09 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelly4
After seeing this, I have been doing research online for arbitration and waivers. This is going to be great. Anyone Philly fans know what Jimmy Rollins contract is? They show a screen shot of it in the blog and I am wondering how close it is to real life?
He makes $7.5 M in 09 and 10...

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...illies_18.html

just scroll down until you see rollins

# 9 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/13/09 01:36 PM
For those who can't see from work:

Quote:
Hey everyone - MLB FE team here to bring you the first installment of the MLB 09 The Show blogs. For this entry, we’ll be talking about some of the details that have gone into the Franchise mode enhancements.

Moving on to the regular season, you will now be dealing with many of the various roster-related items all GMs have to deal with. You will be in control of designating players for assignment, waiver transactions, handling Minor League options, and managing your 40-man roster. Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason.

Once your season hits September, your 25-man roster will expand to the full 40-man where you will then have to decide who get’s the call and who doesn’t. If your Franchise is successful enough to make the playoffs, you will have to manage your rosters accordingly, and will only be able to replace players on the roster between series. The Offseason is where the real fun starts. We’ve changed the Offseason system so that instead of traveling from menu to menu, going in and out of various screens, now all of your responsibilities can be found within the schedule. There are several important dates for you to be aware of in order to ensure your rosters are setup for the next season.

* The 15th day of the offseason marks the end of exclusive free agent negotiating.
* November 20th is the final day to align your 40-man roster in order to protect your players from the Rule 5 draft.
* December 1st is the final day to offer arbitration to eligible players, or to offer any Type A or Type B free agent compensation.
* December 7th is the deadline for any free agents offered arbitration to accept or decline the offer. If a player accepts the offer, they will go back on your roster. If they decline, they will become a free agent and are allowed to sign with any team.
* Between 12/5 and 12/12, the Rule 5 Draft takes place.
* December 12th is the deadline to tender contracts to players or they will become free agents.
Arbitration hearings take place in early February.
* After 2/15, any player with less than 3 years can have their contract renewed if they remain unsigned.

As you can see, a lot of focus has been placed on bringing increased depth to roster and team management within Franchise mode. But these enhancements aren’t limited to only Franchise mode, and the same depth can be found in Season and Road To The Show modes.

- Kolbe Launchbaugh and Aaron Luke

# 10 aukevin @ 01/13/09 01:47 PM
Good grief that's a lot of stuff and I appreciate all the hard work. But I sure hope there is a cpu assist for those of us that just want to play the games. I'm sure most of you want all that detail, but that's a lot of stuff to worry about outside of just playing games.

# 11 zippy2212 @ 01/13/09 01:58 PM
Just read the Blog. This years game is going to be amazing!
Waivers, Rule V Draft, Arbitration. Unbelievable stuff!

The best part of the whole blog for me was the last sentence:

"But these enhancements aren’t limited to only Franchise mode, and the same depth can be found in Season and Road To The Show modes."

Sounds like we will be able to have all of the roster/minor league stuff but not have to worry about transportation, pricing, etc.

Fantastic!!!!

# 12 countryboy @ 01/13/09 02:00 PM
YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 13 countryboy @ 01/13/09 02:01 PM
bigfnjoe...thanks for posting for those at work who couldn't view it. Its much appreciated man...

# 14 Knight165 @ 01/13/09 02:01 PM
Somebody needs to post the vid of that kid on Christmas morning!

M.K.
Knight165

# 15 Knight165 @ 01/13/09 02:02 PM
Oh yeah....

I'll be moving to San Diego from January 29th until March 3rd.

M.K.
Knight165

# 16 kennyacid @ 01/13/09 02:02 PM
nice....realllllllllll nice

# 17 Marino @ 01/13/09 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell us how you really feel CB.

# 18 Knight165 @ 01/13/09 02:05 PM
These lines makes me a little teary...

"Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason."

What other baseball game?

M.K.
Knight165

# 19 SoxFan01605 @ 01/13/09 02:14 PM
Well...

There goes sunshine

# 20 zippy2212 @ 01/13/09 02:15 PM
These lines makes me a little teary...

"Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason."

So much stuff. I forgot about this already!

What other baseball game?

How about it. I just fired up 08 and then saw the blog was up now I don't know if I can handle playing it.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.