Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers the new and improved A.I.

Quote:
"Today we’re going to show you some of our new and improved A.I. for MLB 09 The Show. Realism is THE most important thing to use here on the MLB 09 The Show team. Year in and year out, with a development team that has a wealth of baseball knowledge, not only as fans of the game but development members that have actually played the game at very high levels, we dedicate ourselves to making the most realistic baseball experience possible. That being said, there were a few things about last year’s game that were a bit frustrating and not as realistic as we would have liked. As much as we would like to tackle every idea out there, we strategically have to pick and choose our battles. This year we decided to work on a little bit of everything, so today I’m going to highlight four of them."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 SoxFan01605 @ 01/20/09 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
thats how I am Rob. Until I see the pitching motions and batting swings/stances for myself, I am going to remain optimistic.
To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder how much they can do with the curent animations as it stands. What I mean is that the pitching motions have more "arm action" and shoulder movement (obviously) which may be a limitation of the curent models (the "boxy, wide shoulder builds). Not saying that negatively or as a statement of fact, just musing...

I guess I'm wondering how much focus there will be since they are looking to update the models anyway. The bright side is that the batter animations looked improved.

As for the rest, it's all good. I like the subtle improvements-especially the hot shots that glanced of of gloves and bodies. Looks good and sounds promising.

Also loving the little equipment touches...now my Jack*ss RTTS CAP can rock shades and baggy pants while he dismantles his team with his selfish ways

# 42 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/20/09 06:26 PM
Sounds great, but those throwing animations especially @ the release points are bad. I guess we will know next week if they've been fixed or not from the Community Event

# 43 NumberOneRB @ 01/20/09 06:26 PM
I wonder if they've made improvements to the actual fielding method this year or will they still retain the less-immersive, simple one-button press to throw to the corresponding base?

# 44 TeixeiraFanatic @ 01/20/09 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
Yeah, looks like the pitching motions still suck. It's a shame. We got a peek of CC's new motion and from the little clip shown it doesn't look good. Plus, they also have Oswalt and Kazmir hopping around like rabbits after throwing the ball. I don't get it.

On the other hand, Pujols and Pedroia's stances, swings, and follow throughs looks great! So that gives me confidence that Batting Stance Guy is the real deal! They need to find Pitching Motion Dude for The Show 2010.

Everything else in the video looks AMAZING. I love the new fielding animations and the routes the fielders are now taking.
I didn't like pujols's stance. Its been the same since 2007. He doesn't have his hands that far behind his head, but i can deal with it. I liked pedroia's stance and i didn't think CC's was that bad but it wasn't amazing.

# 45 Rob_NYY @ 01/20/09 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
I didn't like pujols's stance. Its been the same since 2007. He doesn't have his hands that far behind his back, but i can deal with it. I liked pedroia's stance and i didn't think CC's was that bad but it wasn't amazing.
On 2nd look, it looks to me that it's the same Pujols stance from previous games. So I'm guessing the new animations aren't in this video either. Although CC's motion looked different then 08.

I'm gonna stop analyzing motions and animations from these previews, they are too incomplete. We'll get a better look when we get gameplay vids and the demo.

# 46 baseball88 @ 01/20/09 06:41 PM
Eye black is on Pedroia and some other players too.

Thank you SCEA

# 47 duke776 @ 01/20/09 06:54 PM
If only ps3's didn't cost so much, I'd actually enjoy a great baseball game this year. All these improvements are great.

Anyway, Soriano's stance(in this video, it may be different by the time the game arrives) is the same as last years...I saw someone say it was better and I think it may have just looked better because it only showed him in his stance for 1 or 2 seconds.

# 48 ProStylez @ 01/20/09 07:04 PM
I've been tempted to start playing 08 again but after I saw these videos screw that idea buddy!
I have made a lot of dumb *** purchases in my gaming career but will never regret buying a PS3 for this game.
I'm smart

# 49 thmst30 @ 01/20/09 07:08 PM
See EA, you CAN listen to your customers and put loads of improvements both minor and major into a game in just one year. Not 4+ and counting years. Its good to see that SOMEBODY out there actually cares what we want. This game is going to be freaking amazing. The only negative is that it is Sony only, and not because I don't own a PS3 (I do, and mainly for this game), but because I wish all MLB fans could experience this game. All 360 and PS3 owners need a chance to play this.

# 50 green94 @ 01/20/09 07:08 PM
Did they have Berkman's follow through in the game last year?

Unreal video.

I love this game.

# 51 Alonzo @ 01/20/09 07:17 PM
Wow, thank you SCEA for listening to the fan-base. That is how it should be done, EA and 2k could learn a thing or two from you.

The blog's mentioning 2-3 things most of us really wanted for the 09-game. Extra basehits, better fielding-system, improved pitching/hitting-system.

I am pretty sure 09 won't be a perfect game, there is always something that can be better, but we know that SCEA cares about the fans and is really trying to improve an already great game.

Good god, If the show would cost me 100 bucks...150 bucks, I'd pay it...

# 52 Marino @ 01/20/09 07:19 PM
I honestly don't think I will purchase another game when the Show comes out. I am just so excited.

# 53 bcruise @ 01/20/09 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
I know what you mean. If at all possible, 08 already looks dated to me. That lighting does amazing things, the double plays.......gah gah!
I kind of feel the same way....done with messing around with sliders to try making a few more extra base hits happen!

# 54 Scooter3 @ 01/20/09 07:26 PM
I used to play the hot corner and some of the balls ripped down that line are shot from a cannon.
It's good to see a few too hot to handle plays make it into the game.

It's good to hear that the players ability to make the play is dependent on his ratings and our abilities with the controllers.

I hope to see some guys with Brooks Robinson type reflexes come up with his "Human Vacuum Cleaner" type plays every so often.

These too hot to handle plays looked so real.

I can't wait.

do what you can but behave yourself...
Scooter...

# 55 Marino @ 01/20/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter3
I used to play the hot corner and some of the balls ripped down that line are shot from a cannon.
It's good to see a few too hot to handle plays make it into the game.

It's good to hear that the players ability to make the play is dependent on his ratings and our abilities with the controllers.

I hope to see some guys with Brooks Robinson type reflexes come up with his "Human Vacuum Cleaner" type plays every so often.

These too hot to handle plays looked so real.

I can't wait.

do what you can but behave yourself...
Scooter...
That avator looks pretty darn good on you Scooter

# 56 Rob_NYY @ 01/20/09 07:32 PM
Quote:
I know what you mean. If at all possible, 08 already looks dated to me. That lighting does amazing things, the double plays.......gah gah!
I know what you mean. I started a new franchise last week with the Pirates and did a fantasy draft and my team turned out great:

Rotation:
Lincecum
Lester
Cain
Garza
Zito

Joe Smith, Mota, Seay, Madson, Accardo, Gregg, Kerry Wood in the 'pen.

Lineup:
2B - Pedroia
CF - Beltran
LF - Soriano
SS - Hanley Ramirez
3B - Longoria
1B - Cano (moved to 1B, couldn't pass up drafting him late)
RF - BJ Upton/Jeremy Hermida
C - Dioner Navarro

I started the season 14-6...but I haven't been able to play a game recenty. After seeing the vids for '09, 08 seems so old and outdated.

# 57 PhantomPain @ 01/20/09 07:39 PM
Quote:
I looked at it again......I'm stunned! That lighting, the overthrow to first....good grief it sure do look purty!
I agree this game looks awesome!

However I do hope there are throws in the dirt at first that can't be fielded every once in a while this year.

# 58 GSW @ 01/20/09 07:47 PM
are some fielders (poor fielders) going to be slower to react to hit balls? or take worse routes when tracking fly balls?

please?

# 59 Scooter3 @ 01/20/09 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13882
That avator looks pretty darn good on you Scooter

I take it that you heard my Brooklyn Dodger Ball story?
The Dodgers have a place in my heart!

Tommy Lasorda is my favorite Manager of all-time!
He's a great American...

do what you can but behave yourself..
Scooter...

# 60 Marino @ 01/20/09 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter3
I take it that you heard my Brooklyn Dodger Ball story?
The Dodgers have a place in my heart!

Tommy Lasorda is my favorite Manager of all-time!
He's a great American...

do what you can but behave yourself..
Scooter...
Yeah I heard the story. If I could I would rather have the Dodgers back where they belong.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.