Home
News Post

So today I checked out the game, played it, talked with developers etc. etc.

I won't get into all the details here, but basically I just want to keep you guys in the loop. Tomorrow there will be a preview up on the site, and I also have about 40 minutes of developer interviews that I plan on transcribing -- the voice quality is too bad to just put it up in audio form. I'll be cutting some stuff and all that, but I want to get that up maybe by Friday, but certainly by Monday.

In that interview there will be talk about a lot of stuff, the only notable exception being Franchise mode -- I didn't talk to any franchise people (sorry). But hey, the community folks are going down there next week so you should hear plenty about all that from them.

Also, I'm hesitant to do what I usually do after checking out a game, and that is open up a Q&A thread with you all. I say that because since community folks are going down there next week I don't want to steal their thunder. So what I will do is next week -- once those guys have seen the game -- I'll chime in and answer/comment on questions and so forth, which I think is a good middle ground.

Finally, there will also be a quick interview with Pedroia posted on the site. It's nothing major at all since I always assume you guys want to hear from the devs and hear about gameplay stuff rather than what the athletes have to say (sorry athletes, no offense). So I just had a little fun with him by asking him some random questions.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what is up.

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTodd
Were the updated stances in the game from what you could tell? What teams did you play as?
No comment on that one. I'm not good at spotting stances anyway, since I just don't have a good eye for them (i.e. signature styles) when it comes to baseball.

Played as Yanks, Cards, and Pirates.

# 22 Stroehms @ 01/21/09 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
No comment on that one. I'm not good at spotting stances anyway, since I just don't have a good eye for them (i.e. signature styles) when it comes to baseball.

Played as Yanks, Cards, and Pirates.
Go Cards!

Jw, did you win?

# 23 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
LOL, they are going to pull this Q&A out of you piece by piece!
Ha, I don't mind the minor stuff, just not trying to go crazy with it.

Plus I'm just going to be sitting here transcribing the interview/writing a preview etc. (I'm leaving the hotel to go to the airport at 5:15 a.m. PST BUH!).

# 24 green94 @ 01/21/09 05:18 PM
Any HR celebrations / fireworks?

This is my only question, I promise.

# 25 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroehmerbasebal
Go Cards!

Jw, did you win?
Didn't finish since that was one of the two games where I only played 5 innings. I finished Yanks vs. Red Sox, played in the new Yanks stadium -- which I did win I believe 5-3 or 5-4.

Was losing 2-1 in the Cards game when I left it -- was playing the Cubs in Wrigley.

# 26 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Any HR celebrations / fireworks?

This is my only question, I promise.
I don't think I saw any fireworks when I hit my one and only HR of the day with Mark Teix. As for celebration, ermmmm it was a bomb to the 2nd deck I pulled down the line. He stared it down and then ran the bases, seemed pretty normal.

# 27 Stroehms @ 01/21/09 05:21 PM
Quote:
Didn't finish since that was one of the two games where I only played 5 innings. I finished Yanks vs. Red Sox, played in the new Yanks stadium -- which I did win I believe 5-3 or 5-4.

Was losing 2-1 in the Cards game when I left it -- was playing the Cubs in Wrigley.

Efff the Cubs. jk. (don't ban me).

Glad you chose the good side

# 28 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
will you be posting screens/vids in your preview?
No, unfortunately we just don't have the equipment at this point do to a lot of the media stuff well. We'd love to do all that jazz if we could though.

# 29 green94 @ 01/21/09 05:27 PM
Quote:
I don't think I saw any fireworks when I hit my one and only HR of the day with Mark Teix. As for celebration, ermmmm it was a bomb to the 2nd deck I pulled down the line. He stared it down and then ran the bases, seemed pretty normal.
Well they shouldn't have fireworks at Yankee Stadium, so that's good.

(Holds out hope)

# 30 Chris_SCEA_Sports @ 01/21/09 05:32 PM
Quote:
Plus I'm just going to be sitting here transcribing the interview/writing a preview etc. (I'm leaving the hotel to go to the airport at 5:15 a.m. PST BUH!).
That is going to take a while...I think Gill is STILL talking....and talking....and talking....

# 31 Stroehms @ 01/21/09 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Run Chris, run.......100 questions will be posted in the next five minutes.

Chris is your avatar in game!??!?!?

# 32 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
That is going to take a while...I think Gill is STILL talking....and talking....and talking....
Always good to have someone who is talkative rather than not.

# 33 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
Were you able to watch the player round all the bases? In 08 it gets cut off
I THINK it still did the scene where you round first to go to 2nd and then it cuts to the guy crossing home post-showing-the-replay. But don't quote me on that one.

# 34 Badboy49er @ 01/21/09 05:53 PM
Chase no need to go into detail, i was just wondering if you noticed the presentation being improved from 08?

# 35 ChaseB @ 01/21/09 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy49er
Chase no need to go into detail, i was just wondering if you noticed the presentation being improved from 08?
Didn't notice too much commentary-wise, but there's a new way they do the pre-game intro from a visual perspective, and also how they do the lineups. And obviously, I saw various new cut-scene animations, which is a staple every year.

# 36 Rob_NYY @ 01/21/09 06:03 PM
Awesome, I look forward to the preview!

# 37 PsychoBulk @ 01/21/09 06:16 PM
Nice one Chase.

Ill allow you at least 3 hours sleep before your flight tomorrow because i know you want this preview done asap

# 38 WatchdogXC @ 01/21/09 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I look forward to checking out the preview and all the other stuff that will be coming out. I'm intrigued to see what the new lineup intro is like.

# 39 NAFBUC @ 01/21/09 06:35 PM
Thanks Chase. How did Yankee and Wrigley field look?

# 40 Skyboxer @ 01/21/09 06:44 PM
I'm sort of glad you're waiting. The wait will be brutal as it is...
and.. I put vac in today for the release...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.