Home
Madden 09 News Post

ESPN has just posted an article on Madden Challenge 2009, where they crown the world's best Madden player.

Quote:
"Take the strategy of chess, the all-in attitude of World Series of Poker, and the trash talk of Rucker Park and you have all the ingredients of the Madden Challenge, the most competitive and in-your-face video game tournament on the planet.

These are the elite of the elite Madden gamers. The guys who find the glitches that change the game within hours of it shipping to stores. The guys who found the bug in the Tampa offense where you can directly snap it to a receiver out wide and run down the field before anyone knows what happened. The guys who found the way to block every field goal by moving the defensive linemen around in a certain order that allows one of them to shoot free to swat the rock. The guys who figured out that this year's game was all about two plays: The fullback dive and the curl route."

Cheese or chess?

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Exonerated @ 01/24/09 10:30 PM
Ok. I'm not a cheeser.

But i'm frustrated because my receiver won't go up and get the ball even though he's 6'9 99 jump.

So , how do I rocket catch?

I strictly play franchise and would rather have an unstopabble catch than my receiver running and having the ball land on his shoe.

# 22 youALREADYknow @ 01/24/09 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by representative
Andddd this is why i refuse to play online...
^^^^

and... Reading that just made me sick. It's amazing how honest they are about what we know to be true.... no shame whatsoever.

# 23 raidersbball20 @ 01/25/09 01:31 AM
it is cheezer vs cheezer, but you can't stop it, it is in every game

# 24 Ram209 @ 01/25/09 03:48 PM
Ian

You have to be reading all this. Can you please comment on it one way or another? I hope you feel the same way the rest of us do and think that this is a joke. Also why does EA chose to glorify this type of gameplay? This is the one of the many reasons Madden is the way it is now. Ian any comments?

# 25 cjallure24 @ 01/25/09 04:19 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again.Madden penalize you for doing the right things in football,but the minute convert to being a cheeser you become a Madden legend....

"Inbrace the cheese,win with ease".....

# 26 jfsolo @ 01/25/09 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
What DON'T we likeabout this game? The following paragraphs list point by point what is wrong (for starters). Please fix. Thx.

"Everyone pretty much plays the same way," explains Madden vet Ryan "RG" Glick. "Run the ball with your fullback, throw the curl route to the big receiver, throw the screen. Offense is real basic. The key is who is going to play the best defense. The winner is the guy who is going to make that one stop when the game is on the line."

"I rely on the running game," Captain says. "If I need to pass, I'll pass, but I don't think anyone can stop my run. I run Twin Tight End with Marion Barber as my fullback and Felix Jones as my halfback. I run my tight end in motion, then I lead block with him and try to crush block for a big hole after I pitch the ball to Jones. Then I switch to the fullback dive and try to do the same thing by pounding it with Barber. You add a pass out of that same formation and it's pretty unstoppable.

"The Cowboys are just unstoppable overall. I hate the Cowboys in real life, but they have everything you need in the game. They have the big defenders who can stop the rocket catch and knock the ball loose, and for your offense you have a mobile quarterback, Terrell Owens who is one of the best receivers in the game, Witten who is just a beast, and Martellus Bennett who is just like a glitch in the game because when you use him for a rocket catch, that guy can jump out of the world."
A while back Ian was looking for bulletin board material. These statements should be posted somewhere in a size 72 font.

I read this stuff, and I think back to when I was a kid where people were looking for, and finding, patterns to run up ridiculous scores in Pac-Man or Asteroids.

Its like its not even a football game anymore. Even for someone who only plays single player games(because of this very nonsense) knowing that these things are even possible totally removes all desire to play the game.

# 27 matt8204 @ 01/26/09 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sim God
interesting that Ian or any other producer has failed talk about this thread
They're not going to mock or criticize an event that is sponsored by the company they work for.

# 28 BobbyColtrane @ 01/26/09 04:15 PM
the lack of response in this thread is why i don't take anything that Ian says seriously.

# 29 matt8204 @ 01/26/09 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf
the lack of response in this thread is why i don't take anything that Ian says seriously.
Again, what do you want him to say? The company that he works for sponsors this tournament.

# 30 Brandwin @ 01/26/09 05:43 PM
:::::::: puts hands on head and cries::::::::::::::::

# 31 ch46647 @ 01/26/09 06:04 PM
I completely understand why Ian does not comment on this. However, I can almost guarantee you that just like all of us Ian has read this article and our comments and just shakes his head in dissapointment that this is what Madden has become.

Ian, please make this the year that all these guys who play like this pick up the controller and look at the game in total disgust. Realizing they cannot play like they used to and just cheat to win games.

I have full confidence in Ian and this team to completely turn Madden around and bring a real NFL experience to us all. I think this years game will look, play, and feel entirely different then it has the last 5 years.

# 32 DocHolliday @ 01/26/09 06:11 PM
Im not sure what in EA's past record makes you think that, but more power to ya.

# 33 roadman @ 01/26/09 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Im not sure what in EA's past record makes you think that, but more power to ya.
There is nothing in the past that makes me think otherwise, but I can't change the past, either.

Some people are hoping with a brand new team aboard we will start to see changes for the positive.

# 34 Ram209 @ 01/28/09 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
:::::::: puts hands on head and cries::::::::::::::::
DAMNNNNNNNNN Dookie your avatar is up there with AuburnAlumni and BK as the sexiest at OS

# 35 cjallure24 @ 01/28/09 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Just seeing the words "Madden Challenge" makes me glad I am an OSer. All you need to do is look at the pics of the Frat-Boy 'Madden Pros' and then you realize why you actually know at least a LITTLE bit about football.

Maybe someone should ask EA if these are the "Casual Gamers" they are looking for. The casual, trash-talking, exploit using "Dynasties" of the world.

This thread did make me realize that if Madden doesn't deliver this year I will be among the APF2K8 peeps that find a way to have fun with that game.
Im with you on that one.Between playing Madden 09 on PS2 and APF2k8 im having a good time.My madden stress level has dropped dramatically.Instead of head scratchin,im doing fist pumps.Im not putting to much stock into Madden X on the 360.I hope they bring it out for the PS2 again.

# 36 BezO @ 01/28/09 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Maybe someone should ask EA if these are the "Casual Gamers" they are looking for. The casual, trash-talking, exploit using "Dynasties" of the world.
These tournament players are the exact opposite of casual gamers. 10 hour "labbin" sessions? Nothing casual about that. They're definitely not the pick-up-and-play type that EA has shown concern for.

My guess is that these tournament players would be just as good if the game were more realisitic.

# 37 Sausage @ 01/28/09 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
These tournament players are the exact opposite of casual gamers. 10 hour "labbin" sessions? Nothing casual about that. They're definitely not the pick-up-and-play type that EA has shown concern for.

My guess is that these tournament players would be just as good if the game were more realisitic.
Man I never thought about the time they put in exploiting all game flaws. Hell with the money they earn by winning tournaments, they have found there calling.

I agree with there dedication they will find flaws to exploit even the most sim football game.

BezO do you think these cats even watch football?

# 38 BezO @ 01/28/09 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Man I never thought about the time they put in exploiting all game flaws. Hell with the money they earn by winning tournaments, they have found there calling.

I agree with there dedication they will find flaws to exploit even the most sim football game.

BezO do you think these cats even watch football?
I didn't mean to imply they would find exploits in an otherwise realistic game, though I'm sure they would. I meant that their dedication would help them excel in a more realistic game even without unrealistic exploits.

As is, they exploit what the game allows you to do. If the game were more of a simulation, they would exploit more realistic strategies. The same dedication it takes to find glitches is what it would take to learn realistic strategies.

IMO, playing for fun & playing for money are 2 different things. I won't knock anyone for a by-all-means-necessary approach with $100,000 on the line. I don't see their gaming style as a barometer of their football knowledge.

10 hours of practice a day is a lot. Whether they watch football or not, that amount of practice would teach them the game if the game were a simulation.

# 39 matt8204 @ 01/29/09 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sim God
still......no ackowledgement or response from ANY of the "madden team"
Don't expect one, either. This is an EA-sponsored tournament. They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

# 40 sb24 @ 01/29/09 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. If 9 FB dives in a row and dropping 11 men in coverage wins the game, then thats how you play. Why be creative when simplicity is what gets a win? Don't hate the player, hate the game.
And thats why i HATE the game. Thats not football. And someone said "madden is a good game", compaired to what? Theres nothing to compare it to. Even comparing 08 and apf2k8 is wrong. Considering 2k didnt have the moeny madden did, they put out a good enough game. But 2k DEFINATLY isnt the point. My point is i am amazed at how many madden fans seems to now turn on their own game. UNFORTUATLY there is nothing else to do but play a non-nfl game go BACK 5 years to 2k5 (yes made in 2004 just like Madden 09 came out in 08) or stick with madden. I have made my choice.

As for Ian. I dont know him but seems like it will be good for madden. BUT since he hasnt responed to this thread (guys gave good reasons why he cant) and since this thread has shown me what madden embraces, i dont have hope for Ian. One man can only do so much when things have gotton SO outta hand.

For everyone whos mad they pay cheesers $50,000. Keep in mind that money comes from a new madden each year that costs 60 for chages that could have been implemented with a patch or update (of course not all changes). I really feel madden should put a game out every 2 years and just have a ptch/update for the new rosters and featurs. WE would all save money and might get a better product it we dont make them rush everything every year.

Just another frustrated consumer who OWNS 09,08,and 07 and every year buy it with high hopes and every year stop and go back to old games. Nothing will change while people still pay 60 every year. I guess just a very long .02

Im sorry i dont feel like correcting typos. You get the point or the post and the point is NOT that i cant spell lmao.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.