Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Check out the feature list for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
• Living Rosters – Active roster updates guarantee your game is current. Rosters are automatically updated behind the scenes, so you’re never late on a trade and always have the hottest players in your starting lineup.
• More Signature Style™ – 2K Sports adds to its impressive library of player–specific animations with more than 300 new signature animations, bringing players to life at the plate, on the mound and in the field, allowing you to play ball like never before.
• Next-Gen Controls – Right stick pitching, batting and responsive fielding bring your virtual baseball experience into the next generation. Improved two-step Precision Pitching™ controls, deeper Swing Stick™ batting and quick fielding responses round out your control of the game.
• Franchise Mode – Take charge of your franchise and enjoy the all-new MLB.com presentation style, a new level of CPU customization, multi-player functionality, and real player ambitions.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BadKermit @ 01/22/09 06:31 PM
Gary Thorne will be almost awesome enough to make up for the horribleness of Steve Phillips.

# 2 SoxFan01605 @ 01/22/09 06:37 PM
From the 2K site:

"XBOX 360/Playstation 3
• Living Rosters – Active roster updates guarantee your game is current. Rosters are automatically updated behind the scenes, so you’re never late on a trade and always have the hottest players in your starting lineup.
• More Signature Style™ – 2K Sports adds to its impressive library of player–specific animations with more than 300 new signature animations, bringing players to life at the plate, on the mound and in the field, allowing you to play ball like never before.
• Next-Gen Controls – Right stick pitching, batting and responsive fielding bring your virtual baseball experience into the next generation. Improved two-step Precision Pitching™ controls, deeper Swing Stick™ batting and quick fielding responses round out your control of the game.
• Franchise Mode – Take charge of your franchise and enjoy the all-new MLB.com presentation style, a new level of CPU customization, multi-player functionality, and real player ambitions.
Swing Stick™ Advanced – Now you can really Play Ball. Improved batting controls give batters the ability to influence hits with timing and aim. Improved hit distribution and variety deliver more hit types including spray shots, pulls, line drives and long bombs.
• Inside Edge 2009 – Inside Edge produces remarkably accurate player tendencies. With more than 6 years of scouting reports infused into the action on the field, Inside Edge ensures that players react to in-game situations as they would in real life.
• 2K HD/Real-Time Atmosphere – An all-new Virtual Director brings in-game broadcasts to life in real-time with smart camera placement, angles, and cuts. Real-Time Atmosphere adds to the presentation package by bringing nuances to life throughout the duration of a game. Lighting, umpires, ball boys and coaches all move and progress naturally and seamlessly for a true-to-life ballpark experience.
New Broadcast Team – Gary Thorne provides the play by play calls alongside color analyst Steve Phillips giving a new perspective and more depth for a true-to-life, insightful
broadcast. With improved sound effects including real time crowd noise you’ll feel like you’re actually sitting in the park.
• Postseason Mode – New Playoffs Mode – Jump right into the post season without having to play through 162 regular season games. And if you win it all, experience a World Series® celebration in true championship style.
• Team 2K – An online competition lasting 10 weeks to compile a team of the best online players. Just play Ranked Quick Matches to compete and win prizes. * Void where prohibited. See 2Ksports.com/team2K for details.
• 2K Share – How do you play ball? Create, upload, and share rosters, sliders, and even players created with the all-new Player DNA feature. This also includes the newly added Reelmaker, where you can now direct your own digital video highlight reels and post them on 2KSports.com for all the world to watch and admire."

Really excited to read that they seemingly implemented their zone hitting ideas with the swing stick. Now, I might not be so critical of swing stick. This, I really want to see.

Also, I bolded the part about Gary Thorne, because I think that's great. Steve Phillips though...uggh...I hate that guy.

Al in all...GREAT list. Let's hope it integrates well.

# 3 BadKermit @ 01/22/09 06:39 PM
I'm really excited they're leaving in the Swing Stick. I thought they were going to revert to button-pushing with the addition of zone hitting. I've always thought aiming with the left thumbstick and swinging with the right would be the ideal system, and it sounds like that's what they're doing.

I'm also interested to hear more about the "Living Rosters" feature. Does that mean rosters will update in our franchises to stay up-to-date with the actual rosters? That would be pretty sweet.

Also interesting is the "MLB.com presentation." Someone else mentioned that it would be nice if they'd update player pictures when guys get traded. It looks like there's a deal in place with MLB.com, which I would assume would make it much easier for them to do little things like that.

# 4 Blzer @ 01/22/09 06:48 PM
This looks nice!

# 5 SoxFan01605 @ 01/22/09 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKermit
I'm really excited they're leaving in the Swing Stick. I thought they were going to revert to button-pushing with the addition of zone hitting. I've always thought aiming with the left thumbstick and swinging with the right would be the ideal system, and it sounds like that's what they're doing.

I'm also interested to hear more about the "Living Rosters" feature. Does that mean rosters will update in our franchises to stay up-to-date with the actual rosters? That would be pretty sweet.

Also interesting is the "MLB.com presentation." Someone else mentioned that it would be nice if they'd update player pictures when guys get traded. It looks like there's a deal in place with MLB.com, which I would assume would make it much easier for them to do little things like that.
-Definitely agree that zone hitting coupled with the swing stick would be the ultimate hitting mechanic...and it does indeed seem that's what they're going after. Simply awesome!

-I would guess (and this is only conjecture on my part) that the living rosters will just be more detailed and frequent front end roster updates...likely not in franchise.

The reason being that if I move a guy to the Red Sox in my franchise, but he actually moves to the Phillies in reality, then what? It would be tough to get right, I would think.

In that same vein, what could be done (I would guess) is allow for updates like the pictures, signature style adjustments, etc. be allowed in franchise. That way, if you started early, but that "unnamed" minor leaguer gets updated, it could show in your franchise. I dunno, just a though.

-As for the MLB.com stuff, I'm really hoping it adds some really in-depth presentation like analysis, cut-scenes, reprots, etc.

We'll see

# 6 ExtremeGamer @ 01/22/09 06:51 PM
Impressive, cut out the fluff, focus on it being a good baseball game.

# 7 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/22/09 06:52 PM
Living Rosters & 2K Share...

# 8 HK-47 @ 01/22/09 06:54 PM
2k9 is gonna kick @**!!!

# 9 BadKermit @ 01/22/09 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
-I would guess (and this is only conjecture on my part) that the living rosters will just be more detailed and frequent front end roster updates...likely not in franchise.

The reason being that if I move a guy to the Red Sox in my franchise, but he actually moves to the Phillies in reality, then what? It would be tough to get right, I would think.
I agree. The only way I could think of doing it is basically having a toggle option for your Franchise. Living Rosters: ON/OFF. If you put them on, you can't make trades, etc., and it follows the actual MLB transactions (maybe weekly updates?) no matter where you are in your season. If you turn them off, it's just like a normal franchise.

Pure speculation on my part. It's probably far closer to what you're saying with updating guys who enter the MLBPA, etc.

# 10 Blzer @ 01/22/09 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKermit
I agree. The only way I could think of doing it is basically having a toggle option for your Franchise. Living Rosters: ON/OFF. If you put them on, you can't make trades, etc., and it follows the actual MLB transactions (maybe weekly updates?) no matter where you are in your season. If you turn them off, it's just like a normal franchise.

Pure speculation on my part. It's probably far closer to what you're saying with updating guys who enter the MLBPA, etc.
There's a fly in the ointment with something like that though, especially when concerning the off-season. How is it we handle any sort of movement in the off-season? What if we cut a guy, then the next day they do their updates and low and behold he magically comes back on our team? What if a player retires at the end of a real season and right when you're in the middle of your playoff run his disappearance affects your team for the worse? What if a rookie is drafted and the guy never existed in your farm system to begin with, or he wasn't a part of your plans and they send down a guy you've had in your starting lineup?

With all of this said, unless you're not permitted to progress past the real life date, injuries are somehow disabled (left for real life injures I suppose), and you stay on the same starting rotation as real life... I don't see this as being a possibility, and never really understood how people wanted such a feature. Isn't being a GM or owner all about making the franchise run the way you want it?

Funny thing, though... I don't know how many times the real life trades and signings that I made had become a reality. Funny how I think the way that a GM does.

# 11 Mercury112491 @ 01/22/09 07:07 PM
i would thing the living rosters thing doesn't effect your franchise once you've started it. just like old roster updates.

# 12 areobee401 @ 01/22/09 07:16 PM
i'm not going to let myself get too excited like I was before last year. But from what i've seen so far im happy. They have done just what I asked. Fix what is broken and focus on gameplay and atmosphere while not adding pointless game modes.

# 13 areobee401 @ 01/22/09 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Swing stick + zone hitting = on release day I'll be standing at the door of EB at 10 am, waiting for it to open.
For the third year in a row I will be there when the door opens to pick my game up. Then I'll spend the next 6 hours sitting in the office looking at the impressions on OS when I should be doing what im paid to do.

# 14 drterb @ 01/22/09 07:29 PM
Quote:
Swing stick + zone hitting = on release day I'll be standing at the door of EB at 10 am, waiting for it to open.
I'm reserving judgment on this until "aim" is described better. It sounds like swing stick + zone hitting, I hope it's swing stick + zone hitting, but the lack of the word "zone" in the description bothers me to no end.

• Swing Stick™ Advanced – Now you can really Play Ball. Improved batting controls give batters the ability to influence hits with timing and aim. Improved hit distribution and variety deliver more hit types including spray shots, pulls, line drives and long bombs.

# 15 drterb @ 01/22/09 07:41 PM
Quote:
I see what you mean. But what would be the alternative to aiming if not zone hitting?
Quote:
Hitting has been changed as well for MLB 2K9, incorporating a new zone-hitting system, which is something that fans have been asking about for many years now.

http://www.operationsports.com/preview.php?id=58
I know, I know....they stated it was zone in the "unofficial" feature list. This got me thinking they were going back to Left Stick + Push a Button to implement zone hitting. Then the official list comes out, which doesn't list "zone hitting", but Swing Stick Advanced which let's you "influence and aim". My first thought....AWESOME, Swing Stick + zone hitting. But then I read the language and the word "zone" wasn't there.....

And I don't know what the alternative would be if it's not zone hitting. Zone hitting has been defined in numerous posts here over the years and I hope they are close to that model, not some goofy new hitting mechanic they came up with. I guess we'll just have to wait to see how they implement the new swing stick.

# 16 Blitzburgh @ 01/22/09 08:02 PM
This is very good news! I don't understand what took them so long to come out with the info? I think with all of the new commentary, cameras and sounds, improved graphics and game play it's going to feel like a whole new game! Which is really needed IMO. Definately looking forward to more screens and a trailer or two

# 17 lnin0 @ 01/22/09 09:04 PM
Not a lot to go on but sounds interesting so far.

I really enjoyed 2K7 and thought the ideas in 2K8 were nice additions. However, I skipped 2K8 once all the graphic and frame rate issues surfaced.

If they bring ithe game back up to running and looking as smooth as 2K7 while further refining the 2K8 play I think they might have a winner. Not to mention VC is bringing their amazing crowd tech and hopefully an overhauled UI

# 18 SoxFan01605 @ 01/22/09 09:08 PM
Quote:
LOL. This will be the first time in three years I DO pick the game up on opening day... although I still may come to my senses and wait until I read some impressions.
lol...let me try and talk you down a bit (if you're wondering, I had to give myself the same talk...lol). While the new mechanic certainly sounds great, let's not forget that it doesn't mean the overall pitcher-batter matchup and results have been improved.

Meaning that if you still have the meatballs, poor hit variety, excessive HRs, no walks, etc. It will be a well-controlled mess...lol. Add to that, suspect framerate, poor lighting, etc. and it's not too much different. Not saying that will be the case, by any means, just tossing out the possibility.

Not trying to convince you one way or the other and I AM NOT saying this game will not fix what ailed it. We don't know. Just explaining why I've tempered my own excitement about this particular feature.

I'm extremely intrigued by this game now, I can't pretend otherwise. BUT, 2K8 (and in many ways, it's predecessors) is still painfully etched in my mind as an example where hype and substance don't necessarily meet.

Personally, I'll be waiting for reviews, give it a rent, and go from there. I admit though, it went from a "no way, no how" to an "if this is even close, I'm sold" potential purchase...lol.

# 19 JoshCA916 @ 01/22/09 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

i agree would have issues with your game getting in sync with real life rosters, would be nice though if it gave you the option when setting up your offline franchise to use real time rosters, that would be a nice touch since no game has been able to implement that feature to work in franchise mode

# 20 SoxFan01605 @ 01/22/09 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCA916
i agree would have issues with your game getting in sync with real life rosters, would be nice though if it gave you the option when setting up your offline franchise to use real time rosters, that would be a nice touch since no game has been able to implement that feature to work in franchise mode
It would be nice, but not sure how feasible. You would likely have to be limited to following the real season's schedule (meaning it would limit you as far as playing ahead) in order to not mess it up.

Maybe some sort of pop-up for backfitting like "The Rangers have aquired Ken Griffey Jr through FA on 4/15/2009. Would you care to backtrack this transaction?" If you choose yes, regardless of the timeframe, it could make the move and attach him to that team for that specific period.

That might work. Getting into retirements and stuff could maybe make that much more complicated, plus stats would liekly not travel well this way. It's an awesome idea in theory, just not sure how they'd make it function. Plus, it's something that is likely sceaming for bugs to occur, unfortunately.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.