Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted this week's MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers Road To The Show enhancements.

Quote:
"Hey everyone, Aaron Luke (Designer) here to bring you the next installment of the MLB 09 The Show. This entry will focus on the enhancements to Road To The Show. This year’s edition of RTTS has received enhancements to nearly every aspect of the mode.

Starting with the front-end aspects, the PS3 Create Player system has received some new editions that will allow you to customize even more aspects of your player. With the new Sounds Of The Show feature, we’ve been able to support audio customizations that will allow you to pick not only your batter walkup music, but also your reliever entry music and a home run celebration song. In addition to editing custom music, you can also create custom fan chants, cheers, and jeers to assign to your player (or any other player using the Edit Player feature). The player accessories have also seen upgrades to support a variety of new items including: wrist tape, batting gloves in pockets, glasses, eye black, baggy pants, and stirrup socks for your old schoolers. But the player customization doesn’t end with the Create Player process — we’ve also added in the ability to edit your player any time after creation. You won’t be able to edit his position or attributes, but you will have full reign on editing his appearance, accessories, and the all-important player number."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 theaub @ 01/27/09 09:20 PM
I agree that A would've been preferable. I could see them adding a bunch of MiL levels next year now that, really, there's not much else to add to franchise at this point.

# 82 Skyboxer @ 01/27/09 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LambentMaterial
Wow. It seems like every grievance I had with RTTS has been fixed. I am pleased.
Same here. The only thing missing is the ability to play the whole game instead of just plays you are part of like PYS game. No biggie but wish it was an option.

# 83 Skyboxer @ 01/27/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
With the RTTS can you play every pitch? Last year I rented the game briefly and everything just simmed until I batted or a ball was hit to me in the field.

I was just wondering if you can play the whole game - every pitch - in RTTS.

thanks!
Nope. We are probably in the minority but I really wish SCEA would give us the option. technically evey play whether you are directly involved in the play or not, you have a place to be etc...
Again not a biggie but hopefully '10 will have it.

# 84 Skyboxer @ 01/27/09 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupe
I was really hoping they were going to expand on the fielding aspect of the game. I would love to have the option to play every out in the field as the short stop. Knowing that the ball is coming to your at every fielding instance is boring and does nothing to keep you on your toes.

Having to run out as the cut off, or backing up bases would add to the experience. To me, there could be so much more to fielding. And the RTTS for the catcher needs to be addressed. I would love to be able to call the game.
Totally agree. It would add a lot to the "feel" if you could. I'm confident though that SCEA will add it if they get enough interest.

# 85 AUTiger1 @ 01/27/09 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUnc2321
Eyeblack, sunglasses, gloves in the backpockets...If they they have white/black wristbands (or taped wrists) I'll be ecstatic (not that I'm not already)

EDIT: I think the player on the far right does have the black taped wrists
Is that batting gloves in #5's back pocket?

Also remember guys. They have added a ton to this year's game. They can only add so much in a year.

# 86 firktaf @ 01/28/09 04:22 AM
This all sounds great! The only unanswered question I have is if we'll be able to play in/go to Spring Training while signed to a multi-year contract. I always ended up not resigning(if it was even possible) with my current team and going to a different team just so that I could get the extra points from Spring Training. I'd really prefer to sign a multi-year contract though...it just wasn't beneficial to do so.

I'm hoping that the calendar element of the offseason mentioned for Franchise mode is also carried over because then you can't just jump to April. And since Arbitration seems to be tied to the calendar in February and doesn't take place in the "offseason", it looks like it has and seems logical to assume that we will be able to. I just haven't heard yay or nay to this.

# 87 OriolesFanRD @ 01/28/09 04:34 AM
Why do they continue to torture me and not support all three levels of the Minors? I want my single A, darnit! This game gets so close to MVP, then does this too me. It's not fair I tells ya! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!

*Cries*

My pre-order is still there, right?

# 88 slickdtc @ 01/28/09 09:47 AM
RTTS is one game mode I'm extremely excited to play. It's like another game inside the game.

And I thought my excitement for this game couldn't get any more severe...

# 89 WatchdogXC @ 01/28/09 11:22 AM
This just keeps getting better and better. RTTS was really great when I first got the game as it tided me over until Knight's rosters were released. It is really like buying 2 seperate games.

# 90 King Gro23 @ 01/28/09 03:31 PM
Fantastic Now We can follow team rules, No beards if I get drafted by the yankees. aha
Nothing like a clean shave in the spring, only to convert to a pine tar beard once August rolls around. Wristband colors need to be in. All others are extremely nice

# 91 PhantomPain @ 01/28/09 03:40 PM
Quote:
I was afraid that was the way it was. I was really thinking about getting a PS3 for this game but this pretty much killed that idea. It would be very cool if they did add this because I would like to have to play every pitch as a second baseman.

Thanks for answering! Much obliged.
If you are keeping yourself from buying a ps3 and this game because you can't play every pitch in RTTS then you are doing yourself a very big disservice.

I have wanted the ability to play every play (every pitch) since it was announced, and while the anticipation of the play would be so much better with it, not having it does not equate to a bad experience. In fact, as much as I wanted this option, I really don't think I would use it more than a few times a season as it would take forever and a day to get through a career. The way it is now, you can run through a full season in a week if you play a lot.

If you have other reservations about the ps3 and the game, that's one thing. But if the only thing stopping you is this potential future iteration of RTTS, then you are selling the game short. It is a phenomenal game through and through.

P.S. I bought a ps3 just for the Show and have not regretted it once. Great game and great system.

# 92 BatsareBugs @ 01/28/09 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog
You won’t be able to edit his position or attributes, but you will have full reign on editing his appearance, accessories, and the all-important player number
Yes! Now I don't have to go through my career with the number 68 as an outfielder because several fill-in players with no potential already has the number I wanted or the better alternative numbers the game would auto-assign in that instance.

# 93 mgoblue @ 01/28/09 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Yes! Now I don't have to go through my career with the number 68 as an outfielder because several fill-in players with no potential already has the number I wanted or the better alternative numbers the game would auto-assign in that instance.
It was minor, and doesn't ruin the game, but it always sucked when I couldn't change my number if the original was taken. I'd end up with something lame.

# 94 Skyboxer @ 01/28/09 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
When I first started playing the RTTS mode when I got the 07 version, first thing I thought it is "why does it fast forward?! That sucks!!!"

Then the more I played the more I realized how much it would SUCK to have to play out the entire game. It would just take way too long.
It should be an option. PYS lets you play each pitch and IMO it's far from sucking. Yeah it takes longer but that's why it would be nice to have it an option.

# 95 Skyboxer @ 01/28/09 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
Oh I agree the option should be there. I just meant to say I would never play that way.

Gotcha..

# 96 PhantomPain @ 01/29/09 01:16 PM
Quote:
I am deep into a College Hoops 2k8 mode on my Xbox 360 and I can only afford a PS3 if I sell that. So as great as is this game may be, I only would make the sacrifice if I could play the game the way I want to. It is no fun playing second base and only fielding when the ball is hit around my area. No fun at all.

Yeah I don't see why it would be hard to make it an option. Or in the least give us the option to play a field position on defense instead of pitching during regular gameplay. I have been waiting forever for that.
I completely understand the whole 360 for ps3 argument. If you don't have the money to spend on it without playing the game the way you want to play, then by all means don't get the ps3.

With that said, have you played RTTS yet? If you haven't then how would you know it isn't any fun to play as a 2nd baseman? Also, when playing baseball video games you are always the pitcher. So you could have a career as a pitcher and play every single pitch that you are in the game.

Trust me when I say that if we had the option, and I ABSOLUTELY want that option, to play the entire game regardless of the situation, most people wouldn't play it that often because it would probably take about 40-60 minutes per game and the idea in RTTS is to have an entire career that spans over years. By the time you got to your 3rd year playing every single play, The Show 2010 will be out. Then you would want that game if the upgrades are worthy of a purchase. Even so, if you didn't buy 2010's version, you would still only be 5-6 seasons into it by the time 2011's version comes out. I have played a career as a 2nd baseman and a 3rd baseman and while the fielding isn't as random because you know a ball is coming your way, it is still fun to make the plays.

But it is your money and your call and I totally respect that. I was just trying to let you know that I had some of the same concerns when I bought the ps3 for The Show and I have never regretted it. I guess in the end it all depends on how much you like video baseball games. If you would only get the ps3 and Show for RTTS because you don't like playing regular games or franchise, then I say keep the 360. But if you are a hardcore baseball gamer, then don't let that one little thing stop you because the game is ridiculously good.

# 97 Skyboxer @ 01/29/09 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
I completely understand the whole 360 for ps3 argument. If you don't have the money to spend on it without playing the game the way you want to play, then by all means don't get the ps3.

With that said, have you played RTTS yet? If you haven't then how would you know it isn't any fun to play as a 2nd baseman? Also, when playing baseball video games you are always the pitcher. So you could have a career as a pitcher and play every single pitch that you are in the game.

Trust me when I say that if we had the option, and I ABSOLUTELY want that option, to play the entire game regardless of the situation, most people wouldn't play it that often because it would probably take about 40-60 minutes per game and the idea in RTTS is to have an entire career that spans over years. By the time you got to your 3rd year playing every single play, The Show 2010 will be out. Then you would want that game if the upgrades are worthy of a purchase. Even so, if you didn't buy 2010's version, you would still only be 5-6 seasons into it by the time 2011's version comes out. I have played a career as a 2nd baseman and a 3rd baseman and while the fielding isn't as random because you know a ball is coming your way, it is still fun to make the plays.

But it is your money and your call and I totally respect that. I was just trying to let you know that I had some of the same concerns when I bought the ps3 for The Show and I have never regretted it. I guess in the end it all depends on how much you like video baseball games. If you would only get the ps3 and Show for RTTS because you don't like playing regular games or franchise, then I say keep the 360. But if you are a hardcore baseball gamer, then don't let that one little thing stop you because the game is ridiculously good.

It doesn't take that long if done right. I understand your point though which is why it would be nice to have the option. The way PYS does it is you get to play every play instead of just the ones you are involved with. They speed that up by having the game forward to the pitch when the ball is in play (or the batter walks). Almost like a auto generated count. So every pitch theres a play(or walk/K). That adds a ton more drama to the RTTS experience imo. The whole not knowing if the ball is coming your way or "ok where do I go if the ball is hit into the gap" etc.. etc..

You're only talking a few extra minutes to add tons to the experience.

# 98 Shakedowncapo @ 01/29/09 01:55 PM
Very true.. and is something I bet they shoot for in '10. Just speed up the AB's or have a generated count for every AB. Good suggestion.

# 99 NAFBUC @ 01/29/09 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
It doesn't take that long if done right. I understand your point though which is why it would be nice to have the option. The way PYS does it is you get to play every play instead of just the ones you are involved with. They speed that up by having the game forward to the pitch when the ball is in play (or the batter walks). Almost like a auto generated count. So every pitch theres a play(or walk/K). That adds a ton more drama to the RTTS experience imo. The whole not knowing if the ball is coming your way or "ok where do I go if the ball is hit into the gap" etc.. etc..

Good post Skyboxer.........vaild ideas for the RTTS experience.

# 100 PhantomPain @ 01/29/09 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer

Excellent post. I never played PYS and didn't think of that idea but it sounds like it would be great.

Let me ask you though, do you think that RTTS mode is not fun because of it? I know it would be better as an option, but don't you think it is still very fun and with the new features they are adding it should be even more fun?

I guess my whole point more than anything is that if you really like video baseball gaming, then don't stop yourself just because you can't play every at bat in the field in RTTS. Do you agree? Or do you think it takes so much away from the experience that it isn't very fun?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.