Home
Madden 2010 News Post

WOW! What a way to end a half!!!!

Well Madden (and NFL) fans, as promised, we’re bringing you a sneak peek at Madden NFL 10 by releasing a feature that you’ll see in this year’s game! Remember, it’s only a mere 6½ months away!

We have a big goal as a team this year - to relay out as much information as possible. Hopefully in the process we can make the development of this game extremely transparent so you all, the fans, can get an inside look at how the game gets made. In doing so, we’ll often be discussing new features with you as they are finalized and polished, meaning that each and every one of you out there can give suggestions directly to us to try and shape the game towards your preferred direction. Madden NFL as a Franchise has one overarching goal it has to reach every year, and that is to be the best sports game in history. I’m going to leave the discussion to you all on whether we’ve reached that goal in year’s past, but I do know that now we all get to be a part of making it happen this year. You are no longer posting to forums in vain!

So as we sat down as a team and tried to decide what information we wanted to release first, it really made the most sense to focus more on the technical details for the first part of the year. This is for a couple of reasons – one, the majority of the people looking into Madden info right now are most likely going to be the more hardcore fans (who appreciate the details), and two, we obviously want to save more of the big name feature stuff for later in the year closer to launch time. You should see this theme continue throughout the first few months of our updates. Another reason we really like this approach is that some updates (this post included) are purely about new technology that actually hasn’t been fully fleshed out in the game yet. So the hope is that we can take feedback from the community in regards to maybe new ideas they’d like to see us implement with the new technology. This is one of the most exciting aspects for us as a team in regards to our interaction with the community throughout the development cycle for Madden NFL 10.

Enough talk – on to the new stuff!

Let me tell you a story of playing Madden NFL.
It’s 3rd and 10, and I’m down 14-7 against my buddy over Xbox LIVE. He’s a pretty conservative player, so I know he’ll sit his safeties back a bit and stay with man coverage on my outside receivers. I’m going to try and send my slot WR on a deep fly to clear the safety out, and hit my #1 WR on a Deep In. I saw Kurt Warner and the Rams with their "greatest show on turf" make this look easy week after week in the late 90’s! So I take the snap and analyze the situation quickly – no blitz, and the safeties are dropping out…money. I wish I was better at going through progressions, but I’m not - I’m pretty much watching my #1 WR all the way. He’s just coming out of his break on the deep in, and he’s got at least 2 steps on the defender trailing him in man coverage. I fire it in there, a perfect bullet pass where I think only he can catch it. Right before the ball gets to him the DB turns around and in one quick motion steps in front, picks it off, and is headed back the other way. HUH? THE DB NEVER EVEN SAW THE BALL!!

Ever happened to you? Did your controller survive to tell the tale?

It is my pleasure to introduce Madden’s newest piece of technology, one that is also shared within many of the EA SPORTS games, called "Procedural Awareness". What is it? We’ll you’ve likely heard of “head tracking” with IK. If you haven’t, it’s a way to turn the players head around to face a target dynamically, without the need for canned animations. Well, think of Procedural Awareness (PA for short) as the “next-gen” version of head tracking. Since it is so early in the year, unfortunately I can’t show you any videos of it running in the game, but I can show some “tech demos” of sorts:

This is definitely pretty cool stuff…we can tune how fast the player switches between different targets, and then also how he behaves when he locks on and follows a target. You can already envision this being used by DB’s and WR’s when the ball is thrown, QB’s as they go through progressions, safeties as they drop in zone, and obviously many more cases. In terms of visual fidelity, PA is also a major step up from any other normal IK head tracking solution. We’re in the middle of some changes so I would rather not show you our player model’s face in the tool (his jaw is missing…it isn’t pretty ), but I can show a video of PA running in the tool with an NBA Live player model – Dwayne Wade. This shows off how the eyes track along with the head, the ability to dynamically “blink”, some really smooth blending between different targets, and even how the spine and shoulders can be “pulled” to follow the eyes/head as well:

There’s one last cool feature within PA, and that is a concept of “procedural attitudes”. An attitude is basically a collection of a bunch of different variables that alter the way a player “looks” while he is head tracking. So for the above videos, you basically saw just one attitude – “alert”. But PA allows you to not only just tweak how quickly he reacts and the amount of time it takes him to switch targets and such, but you can also toy with a big collection of variables for players to actually express emotion with their head and eye movement. A big problem in many sports games is making characters feel “alive” – and it applies to Madden often times as soon as the play is over. You don’t want to see a bunch of zombies walking around, but you also don’t want to spend months writing code and adding animations to make players act a little more lifelike (especially when there are so many features we need to attack to more realistically emulate football gameplay). Here’s where PA helps tremendously…it allows artists to create subtle emotional attitudes for players without the need of an engineer. Again there is ZERO canned animation at work here…it’s all totally dynamic and can be created by an animator adjusting a few sliders in the tool. Below is an example video of a few attitudes:

Alright, so what’s Procedural Awareness in a nutshell?
“The ability to procedurally manipulate the spine, neck, head, and eyes on a player in the game; and also add layers of emotion/attitudes on top of those manipulations”.

So the videos really just showcase the technology…not how we implement that technology in our game to actually change the way the game is played. My story above about getting picked off by a DB that can’t see the ball? Well now we can make a DB track the ball realistically and we’ll make sure that he has a true line of sight before he can make a play on the ball. And if/when he gets burned, he can dynamically look down and shake his head with zero new animations or engineering support.

A very exciting thing for our team while posting this is that we are not using PA’s full functionality in the game right now. We have the standard “alert” attitude hooked up for 1) DB’s and WR’s to track the ball, 2) defenders to track the ballcarrier, and 3) the ballcarrier to track threats. So I'm passing it off to you guys:

- Where else would you like to see PA active?
- Are there any new attitudes would you like to see?
- Do you have any suggestions on the best area you think we should actually use the attitudes that we’ve created?

We will follow up in a few months (once we’re actually showing videos of the game) and show what all we changed/added thanks to community feedback. I personally can’t wait!

Enjoy the rest of the Super Bowl!

- Ian Cummings
Lead Designer, Madden NFL 10

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 green94 @ 02/01/09 08:26 PM
Ian crashed the servers!

Sounds great, loving the new info!

# 22 knucklez @ 02/01/09 08:26 PM
This is all well and good, but does this also mean that the DB won't float 100 mph towards the ball and pick it off unrealistically. I have made plenty of throws in Madden that should be completed by a mile, but a linebacker who has his back to the ball will do a 180 and slide towards the ball.

# 23 GetYaWeigtUp @ 02/01/09 08:27 PM
Emotion:

Cocky: After a guy makes a good play he shakes his head grinning a lot or either moving his mouth to say "not on me," "he too slow," or some kind of trash talk.

# 24 rhombic21 @ 02/01/09 08:28 PM
A couple of scenarios when I would like to see this being used.

- Defenders in ZONE coverage, identifying reads/players in their area. So not just man coverage, but also zone coverage.

- OL as they identify who to block.

- Similarly, lead blockers as they identify who to block.

- Perhaps referees as they watch the play unfold?

A couple of emotions to add:

- Angry. You see this all the time in football. The sort of angry/hostile look that players get -- particularly defensive players after a big hit.

- Happy. I'm thinking primarily for offensive players (mainly wide receivers) after/during a big play. So you would see players smiling/grinning.

# 25 ChicagoSparty @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
I've read the article 2 times and don't understand how this is going to be used. Will we have the same animations but just with the defender's head turned? If so, color me underwhelmed. If not, then great, but I'd like to read why.

# 26 Flo @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
Simple Question that you should be able to answer right now: Will the PS3 version be 1080p this year? We have been cheated for 3 straight years.

Simple Answer: Yes or No?

Flo

# 27 Chi Dynasty12 @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
Making Awareness more integrated is awesome! I love this

# 28 btheman71 @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
Can this be implemented for blockers on punt and kick off returns (especially punt returns). Special teams blockers never seem to have a clue what's going on.

Or course linebackers, safeties, and cornerbacks have obvious need to implement this.

Defense needs to be improved, especially for the user's computer controlled players (when the user isn't controlling them). So many times have I seen a pass go right over a defender, who is looking toward the QB, that doesn't react to the play until AFTER the catch is made.

# 29 PVarck31 @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklez
This is all well and good, but does this also mean that the DB won't float 100 mph towards the ball and pick it off unrealistically. I have made plenty of throws in Madden that should be completed by a mile, but a linebacker who has his back to the ball will do a 180 and slide towards the ball.
I believe this is exactly what Ian is trying to say. With this new tech, we won't see that stuff anymore.

# 30 cowboysfan440 @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
they should use those attitudes like for when theres a bad play on either side of the ball say a key interception or fumble maybe u give up a big run or pass on d somethin like what 2k used to do with the qbs goin over to the bench and throwin their helmet down
make the players seem like they care

# 31 g2thecore @ 02/01/09 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood2086
Sounds cool but IMO this game needs a completely new engine for me to buy it again. I get it ever year and within a month im bored because I feel like i've done this all before.
Here we go with the "engine" talk again. Anyway, I really can't wait to see this in action. I also believe that the same technology should be used for OL and RB's picking up the blitz like the other guy said.

I'll try and post some more when I get some new ideas. It sounds like for the most part, you guys got it all covered.

# 32 MVP Buddha @ 02/01/09 08:30 PM
Will you be able to look off a safety like last season with this new feature? Thats the only thing I liked about QB vision was you could look off the defense.

# 33 Millennium @ 02/01/09 08:30 PM
I think this is pretty cool. They have to see the ball before they can make a play, they have to see the runner to react correctly.

This in addition to some other fixes could be very, very good.

# 34 baumy300 @ 02/01/09 08:31 PM
The little things like this is what is going to win people over!

I love it.

# 35 wrigleyville33 @ 02/01/09 08:32 PM
How about huge emotions? I have never seen that in any kind of madden or sports game. Right after a huge sack or play, you see the player pumping his chest with him screaming at the top of his lungs with his mouth wide open and his spit coming out of his mouth? From there, I could go on about how the whole stadium should suddenly roar with atmosphere and so forth. But anyways, I don't think those simple face expressions are enough, players these days are a WHOLE lot more emotional. Look at Ray Lewis, or Joey Porter for example.

# 36 Sundropjunkie @ 02/01/09 08:33 PM
Right on keep up the great work!

# 37 ch46647 @ 02/01/09 08:33 PM
Ian this is great and I think will make a HUGE difference in gameplay as long as it is not just a visual thing with their heads, but also relates to reactions of players as well.

I agree with the poster that says they want to see this applied to the OL/DL as well as RB's picking up blockers. Hopefully there is a MAJOR emphasis on the trenches this year.

I also think it would be great to see this applied to sideline players watching the play. If you plan on creating a fully interactive sideline this year.

# 38 Joborule @ 02/01/09 08:34 PM
Great stuff Ian! I posted this at Inside EA blog but might as well here as well.

The defenders and receivers that make plays on the balls that they never see drove me nuts! It was so unrealistic, and glad to see this will be addressed finally. It doesn't just effect balls in the air though, this can make defenders getting faked out by play actions pay attention to the running back instead of the quarterback or receiver they're suppose to be covering. I could also imagine this could effect the QB in pre-snap when they are discovering the defensive schemes and detailing a audible or hot route to a player. I wonder if this can be done in a way as well to reflect QB vision although we don't have the vision cone (at least as I know yet).

Emotion is also part of sports videos games and its something that has yet to be reflected in a great matter from all the games I have played. Football players always display some sort of emotion after a play, especially big plays. Some players show their emotions off more so then other players as well. I would not only love to see players react emotionally after a big play, but I would like to see some players have larger degrees of showing emotion then others. I want to see TO get upset after being open and not getting the ball in a incomplete or intercepted play. Where another receiver in the same situation may just look disappointed but not displaying it too much. If this can be done it's one step forward for the presentation the community has been crying for. Add in the playoff factor and making players reaction emotionally because of how big each play is in those games, and that is cheery on top for playoff presentation.

# 39 seriousluboy83 @ 02/01/09 08:35 PM
beast mode/anything agressive/situation PA maybe

# 40 Blood2086 @ 02/01/09 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Here we go with the "engine" talk again. Anyway, I really can't wait to see this in action. I also believe that the same technology should be used for OL and RB's picking up the blitz like the other guy said.

I'll try and post some more when I get some new ideas. It sounds like for the most part, you guys got it all covered.
Yeah engine talk because it needs it badly.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.