Home
Madden 2010 News Post

WOW! What a way to end a half!!!!

Well Madden (and NFL) fans, as promised, we’re bringing you a sneak peek at Madden NFL 10 by releasing a feature that you’ll see in this year’s game! Remember, it’s only a mere 6½ months away!

We have a big goal as a team this year - to relay out as much information as possible. Hopefully in the process we can make the development of this game extremely transparent so you all, the fans, can get an inside look at how the game gets made. In doing so, we’ll often be discussing new features with you as they are finalized and polished, meaning that each and every one of you out there can give suggestions directly to us to try and shape the game towards your preferred direction. Madden NFL as a Franchise has one overarching goal it has to reach every year, and that is to be the best sports game in history. I’m going to leave the discussion to you all on whether we’ve reached that goal in year’s past, but I do know that now we all get to be a part of making it happen this year. You are no longer posting to forums in vain!

So as we sat down as a team and tried to decide what information we wanted to release first, it really made the most sense to focus more on the technical details for the first part of the year. This is for a couple of reasons – one, the majority of the people looking into Madden info right now are most likely going to be the more hardcore fans (who appreciate the details), and two, we obviously want to save more of the big name feature stuff for later in the year closer to launch time. You should see this theme continue throughout the first few months of our updates. Another reason we really like this approach is that some updates (this post included) are purely about new technology that actually hasn’t been fully fleshed out in the game yet. So the hope is that we can take feedback from the community in regards to maybe new ideas they’d like to see us implement with the new technology. This is one of the most exciting aspects for us as a team in regards to our interaction with the community throughout the development cycle for Madden NFL 10.

Enough talk – on to the new stuff!

Let me tell you a story of playing Madden NFL.
It’s 3rd and 10, and I’m down 14-7 against my buddy over Xbox LIVE. He’s a pretty conservative player, so I know he’ll sit his safeties back a bit and stay with man coverage on my outside receivers. I’m going to try and send my slot WR on a deep fly to clear the safety out, and hit my #1 WR on a Deep In. I saw Kurt Warner and the Rams with their "greatest show on turf" make this look easy week after week in the late 90’s! So I take the snap and analyze the situation quickly – no blitz, and the safeties are dropping out…money. I wish I was better at going through progressions, but I’m not - I’m pretty much watching my #1 WR all the way. He’s just coming out of his break on the deep in, and he’s got at least 2 steps on the defender trailing him in man coverage. I fire it in there, a perfect bullet pass where I think only he can catch it. Right before the ball gets to him the DB turns around and in one quick motion steps in front, picks it off, and is headed back the other way. HUH? THE DB NEVER EVEN SAW THE BALL!!

Ever happened to you? Did your controller survive to tell the tale?

It is my pleasure to introduce Madden’s newest piece of technology, one that is also shared within many of the EA SPORTS games, called "Procedural Awareness". What is it? We’ll you’ve likely heard of “head tracking” with IK. If you haven’t, it’s a way to turn the players head around to face a target dynamically, without the need for canned animations. Well, think of Procedural Awareness (PA for short) as the “next-gen” version of head tracking. Since it is so early in the year, unfortunately I can’t show you any videos of it running in the game, but I can show some “tech demos” of sorts:

This is definitely pretty cool stuff…we can tune how fast the player switches between different targets, and then also how he behaves when he locks on and follows a target. You can already envision this being used by DB’s and WR’s when the ball is thrown, QB’s as they go through progressions, safeties as they drop in zone, and obviously many more cases. In terms of visual fidelity, PA is also a major step up from any other normal IK head tracking solution. We’re in the middle of some changes so I would rather not show you our player model’s face in the tool (his jaw is missing…it isn’t pretty ), but I can show a video of PA running in the tool with an NBA Live player model – Dwayne Wade. This shows off how the eyes track along with the head, the ability to dynamically “blink”, some really smooth blending between different targets, and even how the spine and shoulders can be “pulled” to follow the eyes/head as well:

There’s one last cool feature within PA, and that is a concept of “procedural attitudes”. An attitude is basically a collection of a bunch of different variables that alter the way a player “looks” while he is head tracking. So for the above videos, you basically saw just one attitude – “alert”. But PA allows you to not only just tweak how quickly he reacts and the amount of time it takes him to switch targets and such, but you can also toy with a big collection of variables for players to actually express emotion with their head and eye movement. A big problem in many sports games is making characters feel “alive” – and it applies to Madden often times as soon as the play is over. You don’t want to see a bunch of zombies walking around, but you also don’t want to spend months writing code and adding animations to make players act a little more lifelike (especially when there are so many features we need to attack to more realistically emulate football gameplay). Here’s where PA helps tremendously…it allows artists to create subtle emotional attitudes for players without the need of an engineer. Again there is ZERO canned animation at work here…it’s all totally dynamic and can be created by an animator adjusting a few sliders in the tool. Below is an example video of a few attitudes:

Alright, so what’s Procedural Awareness in a nutshell?
“The ability to procedurally manipulate the spine, neck, head, and eyes on a player in the game; and also add layers of emotion/attitudes on top of those manipulations”.

So the videos really just showcase the technology…not how we implement that technology in our game to actually change the way the game is played. My story above about getting picked off by a DB that can’t see the ball? Well now we can make a DB track the ball realistically and we’ll make sure that he has a true line of sight before he can make a play on the ball. And if/when he gets burned, he can dynamically look down and shake his head with zero new animations or engineering support.

A very exciting thing for our team while posting this is that we are not using PA’s full functionality in the game right now. We have the standard “alert” attitude hooked up for 1) DB’s and WR’s to track the ball, 2) defenders to track the ballcarrier, and 3) the ballcarrier to track threats. So I'm passing it off to you guys:

- Where else would you like to see PA active?
- Are there any new attitudes would you like to see?
- Do you have any suggestions on the best area you think we should actually use the attitudes that we’ve created?

We will follow up in a few months (once we’re actually showing videos of the game) and show what all we changed/added thanks to community feedback. I personally can’t wait!

Enjoy the rest of the Super Bowl!

- Ian Cummings
Lead Designer, Madden NFL 10

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 BezO @ 02/02/09 11:50 AM
Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
So I'm passing it off to you guys:

- Where else would you like to see PA active?
  • When WRs, RBs & TEs are running routes, they shouldn't look for the ball until after the last break in their route. So if the ball is thrown early, he doesn't react. Even if a user takes control, the user shouldn't have time to recover and get to the ball.
    Also, even when the ball is not thrown to them, route runners should look back at the QB after that last break in their route.
  • When blocking, linemen, TEs & RBs should look for defenders and shouldn't attempt to block defenders they can't see. Linemen without an immediate threat should always be looking for someone to block, and should go help someone after a second or 2.
  • A ball carrier should be aware of potential tacklers.
  • A QB should not only go through his progressions, but he should(or shouldn't) be aware of pressure. If someone is coming from the backside and the QB doesn't turn his head to see, he shouldn't react.
  • DBs, LBs & d-linemen(zone blitz) should be looking for WRs in their zone & at the QB.

I hop each player's PA with be ratings based.

I know you all feel most users want immediate control, so consider giving the swat button dual actions like you to for stiff arm/switch hands. The swat button could trigger a swat if the DB is aware of the ball, but would trigger a "look for ball animation" when he's not yet aware of the ball. And the same for pick attempts.

Quote:
- Are there any new attitudes would you like do see?
Intensity, disappointment, elation, pain, determination, surprised...

Quote:
- Do you have any suggestions on the best area you think we should actually use the attitudes that we’ve created?
Before/during most actions... tackle attempts, swat/pick attempts, catch attempts, jukes/spins/stiff arms/breaking tackles, persuit... basically every action should have an attitude attached.

# 142 vabeachboy19 @ 02/02/09 11:57 AM
Ian,

This could be a great feature. Heres the 2 main things that need to happen in my opinion to make this great.

1. DB Awareness- My first suggestion is that the 'strafe' button should basically be changed to a 'LOOK' button on defense. Now anyone that has played madden the past few years know that the strafe is over powered and contributes to maybe 70% of interceptions. And the main trouble with this is that a defender can be running full speed with his back to the ball and once the strafe button is pressed the db will immediately turn around(with no penalty) and be able to jump straight up in the air.THIS IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE IN REAL LIFE and frustrates me most about madden. Now with my suggestion, if a db is running down field with his back to the ball, once the "LOOK" button is triggered the db will turn his head and attempt to find the ball.Now once he finds the ball he will be able to make a play but most importantly the user must release the turbo and actually slow the defender up before attempting to JUMP. So basically it is momentum bassed. If the defender is at full sprint he should only be able to raise his arm/arms, dive to try to deflect, or maybe a small bound depending on rating. Now if you are able to get into position and release the turbo and slow the defender to a near stop, now the defender should be able to GATHER HISELF AND JUMP!. This would DRAMATICALLY IMPROVE THE INTERCEPTION PROBLEM IN MADDEN/ EA SPORTS FOOTBALL.

2. QB Awareness- First let me say the qb head tracking looks great in the small video shown. Now lets talk about qb 'performance' based on head tracking. The main thing that needs to happen here is that if Mcnabb is looking at Curtis on a fly down the left side of the field and the user decides to dump it off to Westbrook in the right flats..once the user presses the button to throw to Westbrook, Mcnabb should have to TURN HIS HEAD TO FIND WESTBROOK IN THE RIGHT FLATS, TURN HIS SHOULDERS AND ATTEMPT TO STEP AND THROW WITH PROPER FOOTWORK!! this is HUGE in my opinion and something that madden is lacking and would make the passing experience great. Now to get a little deeper, if the qb is feeling pressure and has good awareness, then the qb should 'rush' the pass (ie, not step and throw) which would result in side arms, throwing off back foot, throws without stepping to receiver; which should create loose spirals, over/under throws, and a dramatic reduction in accuracy(of coarse depending on qb ability)

I know this is a long read but I PROMISE if these things are included in Madden 2010 us TRUE football Sim fans will be satisfied.

# 143 countryboy @ 02/02/09 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Good stuff!
  • When WRs, RBs & TEs are running routes, they shouldn't look for the ball until after the last break in their route. So if the ball is thrown early, he doesn't react. Even if a user takes control, the user shouldn't have time to recover and get to the ball.
    Also, even when the ball is not thrown to them, route runners should look back at the QB after that last break in their route.
  • When blocking, linemen, TEs & RBs should look for defenders and shouldn't attempt to block defenders they can't see. Linemen without an immediate threat should always be looking for someone to block, and should go help someone after a second or 2.
  • A ball carrier should be aware of potential tacklers.
  • A QB should not only go through his progressions, but he should(or shouldn't) be aware of pressure. If someone is coming from the backside and the QB doesn't turn his head to see, he shouldn't react.
  • DBs, LBs & d-linemen(zone blitz) should be looking for WRs in their zone & at the QB.

I hop each player's PA with be ratings based.

I know you all feel most users want immediate control, so consider giving the swat button dual actions like you to for stiff arm/switch hands. The swat button could trigger a swat if the DB is aware of the ball, but would trigger a "look for ball animation" when he's not yet aware of the ball. And the same for pick attempts.

Intensity, disappointment, elation, pain, determination, surprised...

Before/during most actions... tackle attempts, swat/pick attempts, catch attempts, jukes/spins/stiff arms/breaking tackles, persuit... basically every action should have an attitude attached.

I love the idea thats bolded.

BezO, you and I don't always agree on things, but once again man, damn good insight.

# 144 dawgs18 @ 02/02/09 12:29 PM
Sounds good so far.

It would be nice to have animations match up with game score. Example, I don't think players would be celebrating they made a tackle while being blown out. Or the whole offense celebrating after a first down while losing 30-0 in 4th qrtr.

Keep it coming!

# 145 RogueHominid @ 02/02/09 12:42 PM
Really cool stuff! From reading the description, I did wonder, though, if the PA would actually create a necessary delay between switching targets and acting on them or if it would just mean that instead of leaping miraculously without the head turn the DB would now leap miraculously as he's turning his head. I know the post mentioned delay as a possibility, but I'm still wondering just how it is going to be interpreted.

Ideally, there would be a built-in reaction time that would force players to gather and redirect before acting on a new target.

I could see a really cool implementation of this tech used in the rendering of zone coverages. Good zone defenders are masters at locating the immediate and imminent targets in their zones and reacting promptly. Guys who aren't so good either don't see targets sometimes or move from them before they've cleared their area of responsibility. PA could help distinguish these different kinds of defenders. And it could help create a signature style for CBs who are "peekers"--the guys that look back to the QB to read the drop and either make a big play or get turned around.

This is a wonderful effort! Thanks so much for the time and care.

# 146 youALREADYknow @ 02/02/09 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Ideally, there would be a built-in reaction time that would force players to gather and redirect before acting on a new target.
This has been one of my major pet peeves in EA football games and is the reason why user INTs are so easy to come by for anyone with decent stick skills.

I think EA wants to leave 100% of the game control in the user's hands and it basically leaves us in godmode while the CPU is left with piddly amounts of AI to combat our movements.

There should never be an instance where I can switch to a defender in coverage with their back turned to a play and instantly initiate a catch animation.

Hopefully using procedural awareness will allow defenders to have to make eye contact with the ball before going for the ball in catch animations AND will turn catch animations into swat animations if the ball is in the air and the defender has not found the ball with their eyes. This would not only result in far less cheap interceptions, but would make WR/CB interaction more complete.

I'll also be interested in seeing whether the Awareness rating finally has a specific use instead of being the all-knowing rating.

# 147 jyoung @ 02/02/09 12:51 PM
This is a cool feature but will it be just for show or actually affect the gameplay?

For instance:

if a DB is running with his back to the ball will he still be able to magically spin around and intercept it as if he was tracking the ball with eyes in the back of his head from the moment the pass left the QB's hand?

or

will the DB turn around only when he sees the WR starting to track the ball, then still have try to "find" the ball for himself before he can make a play on it?

Every football game I've ever played falls prey to the first scenario, and it's a major part of why the passing game feels cheap on higher difficulties.

# 148 Boilerbuzz @ 02/02/09 01:08 PM
Believe me, I'm not trying to sound like a *****, but I'm just a little skeptical about a couple of things:

1. With this statement/question:
"- Where else would you like to see PA active?
- Do you have any suggestions on the best area you think we should actually use the attitudes that we’ve created?"

Is Ian asking us to do their job? With so many "great football minds", shouldn't they have a list that pretty much covers all the bases?

2. This is head and eye tracking. This isn't new technology. When I hear procedural awareness, I think of the punchline that is NBA Live.

3. Why should THIS change the way the game is played? You could have NOT made the super-human DBs long before this.

With that said, I'm glad they are still trying to take qualities of 2K and put them in the game. But the MOST important facets I want to see them put in Madden before anything else - 2K blocking. Double-teams, real pockets, etc... Then I'll consider coming back.

# 149 countryboy @ 02/02/09 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Believe me, I'm not trying to sound like a *****, but I'm just a little miffed about a couple of things:

1. With this statement: "- Where else would you like to see PA active?
- Do you have any suggestions on the best area you think we should actually use the attitudes that we’ve created?" Is Ian asking us to do their job? With so many "great football minds", shouldn't they have a list that pretty much covers all the bases?

2. This is head and eye tracking. This isn't new technology. When I hear procedural awareness, I think of the punchline that is NBA.

3. Why does THIS change the way the game is play? You could have NOT made the super-human DB long before this.

With that said, I'm glad they are still trying to take qualities of 2K and put them in the game. But the MOST important facets I want to see them put in Madden before anything else - 2K blocking. Double-teams, real pockets, etc... Then I'll consider coming back
No, he's asking for community feedback. Its funny, prior to EA coming here, people complained that they werent' listening to our ideas. Now they're here listening to our ideas, and people are now stating the EA is asking us to do their job for them.

As far as the other things you'd like to see, this is the first annoucement of many more to come. The game is 6 1/2 months away from dropping. Its like people think this is the only new thing going into Madden and they vent frustration or provide what they'd like to see in its place.

Its Feburary and they've mentioned that they'll continually give us new info/features as the weeks pass by. Lets just take it one feature at a time and wait until its time to vent about the lack of a feature, when its time.

# 150 cedwebb @ 02/02/09 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachboy19

2. QB Awareness- First let me say the qb head tracking looks great in the small video shown. Now lets talk about qb 'performance' based on head tracking. The main thing that needs to happen here is that if Mcnabb is looking at Curtis on a fly down the left side of the field and the user decides to dump it off to Westbrook in the right flats..once the user presses the button to throw to Westbrook, Mcnabb should have to TURN HIS HEAD TO FIND WESTBROOK IN THE RIGHT FLATS, TURN HIS SHOULDERS AND ATTEMPT TO STEP AND THROW WITH PROPER FOOTWORK!! this is HUGE in my opinion and something that madden is lacking and would make the passing experience great. Now to get a little deeper, if the qb is feeling pressure and has good awareness, then the qb should 'rush' the pass (ie, not step and throw) which would result in side arms, throwing off back foot, throws without stepping to receiver; which should create loose spirals, over/under throws, and a dramatic reduction in accuracy(of coarse depending on qb ability)

I know this is a long read but I PROMISE if these things are included in Madden 2010 us TRUE football Sim fans will be satisfied.
This is exactly how I was thinking...I mean exactly! If the your QB is looking at the reciever you want to throw to he can get rid of it normally..but if he isn't and you hit another receivers button that is not in his line of sight he should have to LOOK, RESET, AND THEN THROW which takes more time. Love that idea!

I really hope all players on the field and refs are able to use this feature as it will change the gameplay 100% IMO. If this is implemented the way I envision it is quite possible that we never see the same outcome to a play twice. Players reacting to what they see will revolutionize this game. This may seem like a small addition but if utilized in every aspect it will literally change the way this game plays.

I really hope that this is now what makes the AWR attribute acutally mean something. Players reacting based on that attribute is huge if that is what they get done with this feature. Vets will have much more importance on a team as they may be slower but quicker to react because of their AWR level.

# 151 Vikes1 @ 02/02/09 01:48 PM
Quote:

Is Ian asking us to do their job? With so many "great football minds", shouldn't they have a list that pretty much covers all the bases?
I don't think so Boilerbuzz.

They may very well have a pretty good idea of how and where they'll add this PA tech. But in the spirit of interaction....nothing wrong with gathering ideas from the community. 10,000 heads are better than 12.

If their now willing to take advantage of the many great ideas from our community, I see that as nothing but a positive in my opinion.

# 152 kevster2 @ 02/02/09 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I don't think so Boilerbuzz.

They may very well have a pretty good idea of how and where they'll add this PA tech. But in the spirit of interaction....nothing wrong with gathering ideas from the community. 10,000 heads are better than 12.

If their now willing to take advantage of the many great ideas from our community, I see that as nothing but a positive in my opinion.
I agree with you 100% Vikes1.

# 153 Boilerbuzz @ 02/02/09 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevster2
I agree with you 100% Vikes1.
I agree too Vikes1. It's just when I first read that, it FELT initially like it was more of a call for ideas. Maybe I felt he could have said more to stimulate the discussion. I was just asking. Being wary.

# 154 Vikes1 @ 02/02/09 03:07 PM
Quote:
I agree too Vikes1. It's just when I first read that, it FELT initially like it was more of a call for ideas. Maybe I felt he could have said more to stimulate the discussion. I was just asking. Being wary.
Nothing wrong with asking, or putting something out there in a civil way for discussion Boiler.[which I think you did.]

# 155 SteelerSpartan @ 02/02/09 03:19 PM
Sorry to ask but I didn't get to the thread because of some celebrating

But Did Ian ever answer whether there will be new AI to go along with the PA,???? so that we don't just have Heads flipping around as they're gliding sideways to bat down a ball?????

# 156 indycolts4289 @ 02/02/09 04:45 PM
First of all, the second response to Ian's update (by DTown) sounds GREAT. If Madden can pull off all of this, it would be insane. 3/4 of it would still be very good. Procedural Awareness will really take Madden to the Next Gen level.

Anyway, my suggestion/request for the next Madden is to bring back a few things from the previous editions. I usually play with the Colts and I love to emulate the things they do, especially what Manning does at the line. The first thing is to bring back the formation shifts. (I believe I saw this last in Madden 06 for Xbox) It would allow you to start with say a 2 TE set and then send one or both of those TEs out into a 3 or 4 WR set while keeping the play the same. There were usually 4 options to change to from each set (by pressing a button and then using the D-pad) and this gave a lot more flexibility and creativity to the offense.

The second thing is the substitutions menu. While this is in 09, this menu is in the play selection screen and therefore, with the play clock, you have a limited amount of time to make your personnel changes. So if you don't know exaclty what you're doing before you go into this menu (especially on defense) you have almost zero time to make up your mind.

Third, I would love to see the playbook creator brought back. I can't remember the last time it was in Madden (probably 06 as the last feature) but if you just put that version of it in, I would be very happy. Of course I would also love major improvements as it was never the greatest.

Whenever you created a new formation you wouldn't be able to shift the DL or LBs or bring up your safeties to support the run or use your corners to press. This could be fixed with generic solutions or by allowing the creator to designate those as well. The same problems were also on offense (no players going in motion).

Things that worked well with this feature were that you had almost no limit to where you lined up players on both sides of the ball. Obviously on offense you still had to follow the line of scrimmage rules (only 7 on the line) but other than that it was free reign. You could even draw out your own pass patterns.

Is there a playbook creator in NFL Head Coach? I have never played this game but I assume there is one. Ian introduced some of his new staff and one (or two) is from this game. Is there anyway you can just plug that same feature into Madden with a few tweaks?

One last thing: The play by play and color commentary are AWFUL. Apart from the fact that there aren't nearly as many different sound clips as in previous games, Madden makes Cris Collinsworth sound like a moron. While I don't object to using the same people, there needs to be more variety. Personally I would love to have Mike Tirico from ESPN doing the play by play as he is very good and interesting to listen to.

That's all I got.

# 157 knucklez @ 02/02/09 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
Sorry to ask but I didn't get to the thread because of some celebrating

But Did Ian ever answer whether there will be new AI to go along with the PA,???? so that we don't just have Heads flipping around as they're gliding sideways to bat down a ball?????
No he did not. I posed the same question a couple of pages back. Until I'm showed otherwise I presume that the head tracking is just an aesthetic feature and will only have one affect on ridiculous interceptions: he'll be looking at the ball as he does it.

# 158 cowboy_kmoney @ 02/02/09 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycolts4289
First of all, the second response to Ian's update (by DTown) sounds GREAT. If Madden can pull off all of this, it would be insane. 3/4 of it would still be very good. Procedural Awareness will really take Madden to the Next Gen level.

Anyway, my suggestion/request for the next Madden is to bring back a few things from the previous editions. I usually play with the Colts and I love to emulate the things they do, especially what Manning does at the line. The first thing is to bring back the formation shifts. (I believe I saw this last in Madden 06 for Xbox) It would allow you to start with say a 2 TE set and then send one or both of those TEs out into a 3 or 4 WR set while keeping the play the same. There were usually 4 options to change to from each set (by pressing a button and then using the D-pad) and this gave a lot more flexibility and creativity to the offense.

The second thing is the substitutions menu. While this is in 09, this menu is in the play selection screen and therefore, with the play clock, you have a limited amount of time to make your personnel changes. So if you don't know exaclty what you're doing before you go into this menu (especially on defense) you have almost zero time to make up your mind.

Third, I would love to see the playbook creator brought back. I can't remember the last time it was in Madden (probably 06 as the last feature) but if you just put that version of it in, I would be very happy. Of course I would also love major improvements as it was never the greatest.

Whenever you created a new formation you wouldn't be able to shift the DL or LBs or bring up your safeties to support the run or use your corners to press. This could be fixed with generic solutions or by allowing the creator to designate those as well. The same problems were also on offense (no players going in motion).

Things that worked well with this feature were that you had almost no limit to where you lined up players on both sides of the ball. Obviously on offense you still had to follow the line of scrimmage rules (only 7 on the line) but other than that it was free reign. You could even draw out your own pass patterns.

Is there a playbook creator in NFL Head Coach? I have never played this game but I assume there is one. Ian introduced some of his new staff and one (or two) is from this game. Is there anyway you can just plug that same feature into Madden with a few tweaks?

One last thing: The play by play and color commentary are AWFUL. Apart from the fact that there aren't nearly as many different sound clips as in previous games, Madden makes Cris Collinsworth sound like a moron. While I don't object to using the same people, there needs to be more variety. Personally I would love to have Mike Tirico from ESPN doing the play by play as he is very good and interesting to listen to.

That's all I got.
Great post man,I also would love to see these changes brought back,It was good for the game.Ian I would also like to add to this already good postBy saying It would be cool if you guys could fit Stew from ESPN THAT DUDE KNOWS THE GAME AND KNOWS HOW TO KEEP IT INTERESTING AND NEVER A DULL MOMENT..

# 159 adembroski @ 02/02/09 05:37 PM
Hmmm... ok, so... the only way this is a really substantial leap is if the AI works off this technology... ie a DB can't intercept a ball he can't see.

# 160 mwjr @ 02/02/09 05:59 PM
Nice addition.

Problem is will we even be able to notice this during an actual game?

Also, this seems to suggest that some version of the passing cone would be required for this function correctly, at least for a QB. Is this accurate?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.