Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers Road to the Show Training Modes.

Quote:
"Hey everybody. My name is Eddy Cramm (Senior Designer), and it’s my turn to bring you MLB 09 The Show blog #3…or #4…maybe #5. Not really sure which one we are on. Bear with me, we are all working some long hours right now getting this game polished and out the door!

I am here to talk about the new features in Road to the Show. When all of this RTTS stuff started 3 years ago, the whole idea behind it was to give a unique career mode experience that focused exclusively on you. Initially that meant that we would fast-forward you to your events so that you only dealt with your fielding plays and your plate appearances, etc. Because lets be honest, who wants to sit out in RF during a career mode and watch three groundballs to the infield. It sucked in little league and it sucks in a career mode, too. But as RTTS progressed, our focus grew to be more than that. It became more about giving the user more control of his path to the majors.

Last year really took a huge step in the goals and points system. The guys on the front-end team like Aaron Luke, Kolbe Launchbaugh, and Jeff Ullman have built a pretty nifty system. That’s right…“nifty.” And from a gameplay standpoint, we have always wanted RTTS to feel like you are doing exactly what you would be doing, from going to Spring training, to working up through the minor leagues, etc. But success isn’t just about what you do in that game situation. Success comes from being prepared when that game moment arises. And contrary to what Allen Iverson thinks, that means practice. That thought process is what brought us to our main new feature this year. Training mode."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 davewins @ 02/04/09 07:58 AM
I will be 26 years old next month and I can definetley tell you that this will be the longest month of my entire life.

# 62 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewins
I will be 26 years old next month and I can definetley tell you that this will be the longest month of my entire life.
i turn 26 march 15 dave!
and yeh, although feb. is only 28 day long, its gonna be a long month , like it is every year since i started playing the show!

# 63 davewins @ 02/04/09 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
i turn 26 march 15 dave!
and yeh, although feb. is only 28 day long, its gonna be a long month , like it is every year since i started playing the show!
Man me and you are like twins. I'm March 9th! LOL...Same birthday, same feelings about the previous versions (too many hits) the only difference is the country we live in LOL.

What had me so excited about this video mainly was the batted ball physics. Pulled balls as Pared and everyone said and it just looks better everything...gotta run gonna be late 2 days in a row for work because of this game!!!! LOL

# 64 SoxFan01605 @ 02/04/09 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFan80
Anyone know how the difference between "plate discipline" and "plate vision"? How exactly do they affect the batter. They seem redundant to me, I mean if you have good vision you would automatically have good plate discipline. And aren't these characteristics primary based on how good the gamer is at laying off bad pitches.
They are both there to separate walks and strikeouts. IE, guys who hardly ever strikeout don't necessarily get a ton of walks

I can't for the life of me remember which is which though...lol.

I want to say "discipline" is for walks and "vision" for strikeouts...honestly can't remember right now though.

# 65 sink4ever @ 02/04/09 09:15 AM
This all looks very amazing (esp. since I'm still playing mlb 2k6 on xbox). Does anyone know if the pitcher's view camera is available in BP or is it behind the plate only?

# 66 ckarlic @ 02/04/09 09:30 AM
Awesome. This is all great stuff. I didnt think MLB The Show can get any better but it has. Can't wait. Almost 3 more weeks.

# 67 tree3five @ 02/04/09 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
One thing you guys will be REALLY happy to hear is that...ONCE YOU MAKE THE 40 MAN ROSTER(I just wanted to be clear on this)....there will be participation in Spring Training from season to season in franchise mode(and I'm assuming RTTS)
If you're not on the 40 man.....it'll just be the next minor league season.
There is some incentive for you.
...and don't forget...even if you are "stuck" in AAA.....if you do well enough to make the 40 man roster...you will get a September call up. Good chance for you to make the 25 man for the playoffs if your team is going.

M.K.
Knight165
this sounds AWESOME!

# 68 Motown @ 02/04/09 09:39 AM
Quote:
about BP...is there still collision detection in BP...like balls ricocheting off facades & different HR cams i.e. no doubters, etc...
lol...who would know the answer to this? Kolbe...Chris???

# 69 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 10:12 AM
Plate discipline is the attribute tied to the ability to for the batter to LAY OFF bad pitches.
Plate vision is the attribute tied to the ability for the batter to SEE the pitches.

For simming....and CPU controlled players....discipline is in control of K's mostly...while vision is control of walks mostley. But both are dependent on the two somewhat.
How they effect the USER...I'm not sure.

M.K.
Knight165

# 70 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewins
Man me and you are like twins. I'm March 9th! LOL...Same birthday, same feelings about the previous versions (too many hits) the only difference is the country we live in LOL.

What had me so excited about this video mainly was the batted ball physics. Pulled balls as Pared and everyone said and it just looks better everything...gotta run gonna be late 2 days in a row for work because of this game!!!! LOL
LOL
for sure m8!

And yeh the physics are looking a lot better!
I still have some silly hopes we can get the demo tomorrow!!

Btw, i just cant concentrate at work cause of this, and this game has not evan come out yet! jeeezz, can u imagine how it will be once we are playing it???

# 71 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Plate discipline is the attribute tied to the ability to for the batter to LAY OFF bad pitches.
Plate vision is the attribute tied to the ability for the batter to SEE the pitches.

For simming....and CPU controlled players....discipline is in control of K's mostly...while vision is control of walks mostley. But both are dependent on the two somewhat.
How they effect the USER...I'm not sure.

M.K.
Knight165
since i play without using the left stick(like jim) i can notice that players with high plate vision can make contact with a lot more junk stuff than players with it low, wich will usually swing and miss.. while i also feel that with player with great plate dicipline is alot easier to check swing...dunno if its all in my head though.. but with j.cust i can check swing really easly and late but once i swing i CANT make contact with junk picthes, while with a pierre type of guy i can put the bat on the ball every where its picthed.
just my 2 cents MK.

# 72 NAFBUC @ 02/04/09 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFan80
I waste an enormous amount of time at work reading every tid-bit of info on this game...I can't wait until 3/3.

No wonder our economy is going south.

# 73 BSanders @ 02/04/09 03:57 PM
I thought I read some where that you could get injured in BP but I might be mistaken.

# 74 Tatz666 @ 02/05/09 10:11 AM
this training stuff is the perfect addition to an already sweet RTTS mode. i love this mode but i have to say that last year i was a bit perplexed.....in my second year, as a left fielder for the cards, i got called up early in the season and pretty much played the whole season. i hit over .300 with around 15 HR and 80 RBIs and went on to win rookie of the year. only to be starting in AAA at the beginning of the next season, even though my overall was far better then any other OF on the roster. Did anyone else come across a similar issue and is it even an issue at all or is it just a random fluke thing???

# 75 DoNutToucH @ 02/05/09 01:42 PM
Did anyone notice in the comments section that the developer hinted at new control schemes? (Sorry I don't know how to do that fancy box quote thing)

"BigPoppaB | February 3rd, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I wish you guys could incorporate a control scheme which maps the hitting (and possibly pitching controls) to the right stick.

After playing games like Skate, Tiger Woods and NHL 09 brilliantly incorporate RS controls, i feel a baseball game could do the same easily.

game looks great otherwise though
Eddy Cramm replied on February 3, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Stay tuned BigPoppaB… stay tuned."

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.