Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has the scoop.

Quote:
"I have received confirmation from SCEA that the PS3 demo for MLB 09 The Show is expected to be out tomorrow February 5th. Generally PSN updates at around 3pm PT. The demo is four innings long and features a rematch of the World Series with the Tampa Bay Rays at the Philadelphia Phillies. As mentioned in my community preview write-ups the demo is based on a month old build but it should be a fair representation of what to expect with the final product."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 BIG CAROLINA @ 02/04/09 11:19 AM
All of you "Slider Experts" get ready to be bombed with the what Sliders should I be using in the demo Questions (which is crazy)

# 42 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
All of you "Slider Experts" get ready to be bombed with the what Sliders should I be using in the demo Questions (which is crazy)
i know this is almost impossible, but HOPEFULLY noone will need to use sliders m8!
that would mean the gameplay is spot on!

# 43 spitoon @ 02/04/09 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
i highly doubt that...mlb has rules that games cant come out befor march 1st, and march 1st is a sunday than march 2nd they will be problaby distributing the game, so march 3rd is actually the earliest possible date i think
Agreed.

Also, don't forget that the version that is the Demo doesn't really have anything to do with the final release.

What I mean is that SCEA already stated that the Demo is a version 'several weeks' prior to what our OS guys saw. So it's been sent for approval (and whatever) long ago. They continue working on the game until such time as they need to send it to production. It's not as though they get the approval for the Demo and then send that version out for production.

# 44 Pared @ 02/04/09 11:24 AM
Quote:
i know this is almost impossible, but HOPEFULLY noone will need to use sliders m8!
NEVER.

As solid as the game is, Nem. will be required by the community to re-tool, re-work and redo every single thing there is... and he knows it.

# 45 BIG CAROLINA @ 02/04/09 11:25 AM
Quote:
I seriously doubt if we will not need sliders in the full version, to me most sports games out of the box are geared toward the masses and not the "Sim" crowd that we are, which from a financial stand point makes perfect sense.

# 46 rudyjuly2 @ 02/04/09 11:27 AM
Quote:
It is impossible though since everyone's definition of gameplay is different.

For me, I'm good at pitching and I suck at hitting so I usually have to give myself help in that area. I don't blame the game for that - just my own skill set. Since I don't have any sliders built in I will have to use the Show's.

# 47 JoeDog10 @ 02/04/09 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
I seriously doubt if we will not need sliders in the full version, to me most sports games out of the box are geared toward the masses and not the "Sim" crowd that we are, which from a financial stand point makes perfect sense.
I agree that we will probably need a few tweaks here and there, but I think The Show is one of those rare games that is actually geared towards simheads like us and is pretty solid right out of the box.

# 48 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 11:35 AM
i know what u guys saying about sliders...
but there are great exemples of sports games without sliders that worked greatly..
Winning Eleven , FIFA and EVAN on BASEBALL: Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball

so one can hope right? what i dont want is to fall into the sliders black hole once again...

# 49 Blzer @ 02/04/09 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It is impossible though since everyone's definition of gameplay is different.

For me, I'm good at pitching and I suck at hitting so I usually have to give myself help in that area. I don't blame the game for that - just my own skill set. Since I don't have any sliders built in I will have to use the Show's.
True, but there are some of those sliders that everyone can share the same because they're strictly to make the game simulate real life, such as the frequency of balls and strikes thrown by the CPU, how often the CPU swings out of the strike zone, runner/fielder/throwing speeds, and CPU steal/bunt frequency.

Often times for the other ones, I will start with someone's set and tweak it from there. I'd rather make it more difficult than more easy, so I can simply strive to get better on my own than adjusting it to my own difficulty level.

# 50 Pared @ 02/04/09 11:39 AM
Quote:
i know what u guys saying about sliders...
but there are great exemples of sports games without sliders that worked greatly..
Winning Eleven , FIFA and EVAN on BASEBALL: Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball

so one can hope right? what i dont want is to fall into the sliders black hole once again...
It will only happen if you let it!

Play the game and enjoy it. If you can't hit, work at getting better. This is one of the best games where I haven't felt like ANYTHING really needs tweaking out of the box. I was caught stealing and stole a few bags. I threw out the CPU once and they stole.

My only concern is with errors but there is no way I played enough games to be 100% confident in that. Seemed like there were too few but again, just too small a sampling.

From a gameplay aspect, not one major gripe. The game isn't perfect but it's the most solid, sim-oriented sports game I've played out of the box since High Heat.

# 51 N51_rob @ 02/04/09 11:41 AM
I can't wait. NCAA 09 and OD have run thier course. NHL 09 is fun, but the way the show looks has me really excited to play this all summer.

# 52 PsychoBulk @ 02/04/09 11:45 AM
Superb news, roll on tomorrow.

I plan to play it to death for a while then leave it alone, as i did last year, a couple of weeks before release so im buzzing for the real thing come March again...

# 53 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
It will only happen if you let it!

Play the game and enjoy it. If you can't hit, work at getting better. This is one of the best games where I haven't felt like ANYTHING really needs tweaking out of the box. I was caught stealing and stole a few bags. I threw out the CPU once and they stole.

My only concern is with errors but there is no way I played enough games to be 100% confident in that. Seemed like there were too few but again, just too small a sampling.

From a gameplay aspect, not one major gripe. The game isn't perfect but it's the most solid, sim-oriented sports game I've played out of the box since High Heat.
Pared , trust me, if i cant hit i wont be touching sliders..my issue was aways the oposite of this...

# 54 Pared @ 02/04/09 11:52 AM
Quote:
Pared , trust me, if i cant hit i wont be touching sliders..my issue was aways the oposite of this...
You can always change your camera angle... that might make it more difficult to hit.

All I know is from the default camera angle on Legend I found hitting very difficult due to the breaks early on. By the second day I was getting better but I also changed my batting view to offset. I could see the pitches much clearer on that one.

At least I know I can always go back if I'm hitting too well.

# 55 orthostud23 @ 02/04/09 11:54 AM
Glad to hear that we will have a demo tomorrow!!!

question in regards to the demo if anyone knows or can comment. Are you able to change difficulty levels or is it set at one of the easier levels?? T minus 24 hours and counting.

# 56 Skyboxer @ 02/04/09 11:56 AM
I hate sliders. I usually stay with 2 and 4 seam fastballs with the occasionally changeup or sinker......

Thank yooooouuuuu...Please tip the waitress on your way out....

# 57 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I hate sliders. I usually stay with 2 and 4 seam fastballs with the occasionally changeup or sinker......

Thank yooooouuuuu...Please tip the waitress on your way out....
Rimshot!
Badoom psshhh!

M.K.
Knight165

# 58 braun4mvp @ 02/04/09 12:03 PM
Ughhh, that's awesome that the demo comes out tomorrow but i'm up at college right now and the PS3 is at home. Looks like i'll try to find a ride home this weekend.

# 59 rudyjuly2 @ 02/04/09 12:03 PM
I will most likely download the demo, be blown away and then trade in '08 for my '09 pre-order. The demo will hold me over until March 3rd. Same pattern as last year.

Last year's demo was only 3 innings but let you play extra innings if you had a tie. You could also change difficulty levels and sliders. Hopefully that stays the same this year but with 5 innings!

# 60 LastActionHero @ 02/04/09 12:15 PM
I really hope we can download the demo here in Europe!

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.