Home
News Post

IGN has posted their impressions of the MLB '09: The Show demo.

Quote:
"One thing that stands out is the timing of the game itself: The matchup starts close to sunset and as the innings progress, you'll notice the sun slowly going down, shadows lengthening across the field and eventually the park lights illuminating the diamond and stadium. While this might seem like a cosmetic change, it's a nice addition as are the idle cutscenes, which seem to have a bit more personality this time around. This year seems to include players talking to each other as well as the Phillie Phanatic stomping up and down atop a dugout and getting the crowd rallied. However, the most amusing parts are the umpires, who seem to be a bit more creative. So far, I've seen umps take bats from players and pretend to jack homers out of the park as well as reel in large fish using the bat as a rod.

If you've played The Show before, you'll find that it's extremely easy to leap behind the controls and feel comfortable taking part in the action on the field. Players will have access to the pitcher and batter analysis tools to help determine the success of different players against a particular pitcher and vice versa. The demo also seems to be using the Umpire Personalities from previous years, but this could be one of the most explicit versions, as some pitches that you could swear were strikes will sometimes get called as balls. Even Vasgersian will comment on how "tight the strike zone is," which gives you a better sense of how the game will be called. However, there is an oddity that pops up during pitching. For one thing, without adjusting any of the Human sliders for pitching, you might find a large number of pitches will find their way into the dirt even if you time your button presses perfectly."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 countryboy @ 02/04/09 07:47 PM
those pics are absolutely gorgeous.

# 2 huggerorange73 @ 02/04/09 07:51 PM
Sweet........the only part that sucks is I was off work today.....had I known I the demo was dropping tomorrow I would have moved my appointments around!

# 3 Darkleaf @ 02/04/09 09:17 PM
I hope either he is incompetent or it's just not in the demo but no check swings?
Did they have check swings in past demo's?

# 4 Darkleaf @ 02/04/09 09:21 PM
Quote:
One feature that did stand out was the new option that allows players to manipulate the handicap on computer comebacks. No longer will you have to get frustrated as the CPU rallies late in a game to erase a large deficit thanks to its poor hitting (at least, as long as you've got that option turned off)
Does anyone know what he's talking about? Is he talking about sliders? Why do they give the sports demos to non sports fans.

# 5 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkleafGoJays
Does anyone know what he's talking about? Is he talking about sliders? Why do they give the sports demos to non sports fans.
He is talking about a type of comeback logic which is off by default. It is not one sided logic either from what I was told. It flip flops back and forth for whoever is behind. So for example if you are leading, the cpu can get boost in attributes but if they take the lead then you can get a boost as well. It keeps the game close if you want to play that way. It is off by default so you do not have to worry about it being built into every game.

# 6 Darkleaf @ 02/04/09 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
He is talking about a type of comeback logic which is off by default. It is not one sided logic either from what I was told. It flip flops back and forth for whoever is behind. So for example if you are leading, the cpu can get boost in attributes but if they take the lead then you can get a boost as well. It keeps the game close if you want to play that way. It is off by default so you do not have to worry about it being built into every game.

Thanks a lot! And you answered questions 2 and 3 before I had to ask them lol. Off for me, I can take a beating lol.

# 7 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztiddarkangelman
where can I get a demo of the game?
It is being released off the psn store tomorrow.

# 8 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 09:48 PM
One thing I also saw mentioned was about check swings possibly being disabled. They are much harder to do in 09. They appear to be tied to player attributes maybe plate vision? Some batters can check easier than others. Last year you could check swing at will with anyone. It takes some getting used to at first. Just a heads up!!

# 9 bodhiball @ 02/04/09 09:54 PM
Quote:

thanks nem...good explanation.
Do you know if this is "on" by default in 08? I lost game 7 of the WS last night when I was up 7-2 in the 8th and the other team rallied to score NINE runs to win it no matter what I did. Either way, glad to see its an option this year

# 10 bodhiball @ 02/04/09 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
I remember you guys saying this then after reading that IGN article im a little worried...

i'm worried too! I suck, swing at everything, and NEED to be able to check my swings

# 11 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiball
thanks nem...good explanation.
Do you know if this is "on" by default in 08? I lost game 7 of the WS last night when I was up 7-2 in the 8th and the other team rallied to score NINE runs to win it no matter what I did. Either way, glad to see its an option this year
This is something new for 09. There was no AI comeback code in the games. The developers even mentioned this when we were out there.

# 12 bodhiball @ 02/04/09 10:01 PM
Quote:
This is something new for 09. There was no AI comeback code in the games. The developers even mentioned this when we were out there.
so then I just got my *ss wooped. Fair enough

# 13 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiball
i'm worried too! I suck, swing at everything, and NEED to be able to check my swings
At first it was a little overwhelming but the more you played the easier it got. By the time I left I was checking swings like a champ!

# 14 Darkleaf @ 02/04/09 10:06 PM
Quote:
At first it was a little overwhelming but the more you played the easier it got. By the time I left I was checking swings like a champ!

Nice, Thank you!

# 15 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 10:09 PM
Yes...about the "comeback logic"....SCEA put it in there as an extra challenge.
It's nothing scripted(it's not like you can't win with it on)...it's just some boosts and dumps to the attributes according to the score.
At first I was a little leery...but once Brian explained it...it's just another dimension to the difficulty for those who want to be abused

M.K.
Knight165

# 16 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 10:11 PM
Even I got check swings in pretty good towards the end.(I'm ahh....lacking at the hitting skill)

M.K.
Knight165

# 17 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Even I got check swings in pretty good towards the end.(I'm ahh....lacking at the hitting skill)

M.K.
Knight165
I think we will call you the human fly swatter!

# 18 nemesis04 @ 02/04/09 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Hey you 2 can you take this LOVE Triangle out of this thread?
How do 2 people make a triangle?

# 19 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 10:22 PM
I didn't play against nem.
My 17 K performance against Jim was enough.
One of the devs....walked by during the break and said...
"How can you be winning a game 3-0 and have 17 K's?"
I said it was the new Dave Kingman mode...all or nothing!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 20 Kolbe @ 02/04/09 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
So have you East Coast guy ever had In N out before? What did you think?
Pared had like 2 double double animal style and an animal style cheeseburger + fries... For a tiny little thing he eats like 3 men.

-Kolbe

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.