Home
News Post

Hard to believe it has already been a year since the last time we were talking about matching up sports video game titles from today and yesteryear to see who would win bragging rights as the best ever.

For those of you who don’t remember, last year we pitted 64 video games head-to-head bracket style – letting members of the OS community vote on match-ups to decide which title would move onto the next round.

This year we’ll be following roughly the same format, with a few tweaks to hopefully produce some better results.

One big change we’ll be making is to eligibility for games. Any titles from the 2009, 2008 or 2007 season of video game will not be eligible for the tournament (games not using the year naming convention need to have been released before July 1, 2006 to be eligible). Similar to the Hall of Fame in most major sports, this allows the voters a chance to take a break from the game and really start to think about how it has held up over time.

Once we get closer to actually casting votes, OS will also be offering some guidance on the kinds of factors voters should be taking into consideration. This was requested last year by a number of members of the community and is something we hope makes the decision making process clearer.

How the brackets will be created is also going to change this year, based on the results of the last tournament.

First, last year’s champion NFL 2k5 is not eligible for the tournament. Starting next year we’ll be having a “Tournament of Champions” and crown a grand champion (it will be interesting to see how the champions hold up compared to each other over time).

Second, any games that meet the new eligibility requirement and won a match-up last year are automatically re-nominated for this year’s tournament. They will also be seeded according to their results last year (i.e. teams that made the final four will be one seeds), with last years seed being used as a tiebreaker.

The other seeds will be determined by this thread. If you have a game that was released before July 1, 2006 please make a post here nominating it for this year’s tournament. Games that lost last year are eligible to be nominated again this year, and you are free to nominate as many games as you’d like. The list of nominations will be then picked apart by the Operation Sports staff and brackets will be announced in a couple of weeks.

Member Comments
# 1 BlyGilmore @ 02/05/09 11:30 AM
Seeds:
Please note, once all 64 games are selected, seeds will be randomly paired to create the brackets.

1 – Tecmo Super Bowl
1 – Baseball Stars
1 – MVP Baseball 2005
1 – Mike Tyson’s Punchout

2 – Tecmo Bowl
2 – Hardball III
2 – Coach K Basketball
2 – WWF No Mercy (N64)

3 – NBA Live 95
3 – Blades of Steel
3 – RBI Baseball
3 – NCAA Football 2004

4 – Triple Play 96
4 – Madden 2001 (PS2)
4 – Bill Walsh College Football
4 - Ice Hockey

5 – Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
5 – Joe Montana’s Football
5 – High Heat Baseball 2001 (PC)
5 – NBA Jam TE

6 – Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
6 – NFL 2k1
6 – Major League Baseball
6 – NHL 2004

7 – Bulls vs. Blazers

Eligible Games From Last Year Not Yet Re-Nominated:
The following games are eligible to be nominated again.

- Earl Weaver Baseball
- Microleagues Baseball
- Mutant League Hockey
- Jimmy Connor’s Tennis
- NHL 94
- Winning Eleven 9
- Fire Pro Wrestling
- NBA Inside Drive 2004
- Bases Loaded 2
- Tiger Woods 2004
- NCAA Football 2006 (PS2/Xbox)
- World Series Baseball 98
- Madden 2004
- Hot Shots Golf
- World Class Track Meet
- Front Page Sports Football Pro
- Madden 2005
- NFL Gameday 98 (PSX)
- Madden 93 (Genesis)
- FIFA 97
- NHL 95
- NBA Live 99
- High Heat Baseball 2000 (PC)
- Madden 95
- NBA Live 97
- Double Dribble
- Madden 2001 (PC)
- Madden 2000 (PSX)

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post in this thread or contact me via PM and I’ll get back to you ASAP.

# 2 jaosming @ 02/05/09 11:56 AM
I'd like to nominate
NBA Street vol 2
NFL Street 1
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (N64)

# 3 jyoung @ 02/08/09 04:39 PM
If you're going to pick an NBA Street game, I'd actually go with the first one.

Reason being, it was a much more groundbreaking game for it's time, and today, it's still every bit as fun to play as the second one.

I'll also second Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey, and add:

-- NHL Hitz 20-03 (Xbox)

-- NFL Blitz (N64)

# 4 Sheamazin @ 02/08/09 07:01 PM
Mutant League Football
Nfl Gameday 98
World Series Baseball 98

# 5 theaub @ 02/08/09 07:11 PM
World Series Baseball ('94)
NHL '94
FIFA '98 - RTWC (IMO the most underrated sports game ever)

# 6 ASB37 @ 02/08/09 09:36 PM
I would like to nominate 2 games from my childhood.

NHL 94
Fifa 97

# 7 Unmasked @ 02/09/09 12:21 AM
I'd like to nominate:
-NHL 94
-High Heat Baseball 2000

Two games I played the hell out of growing up.

# 8 BlyGilmore @ 02/09/09 01:09 PM
some good nominations. Keep them coming!

# 9 DJ @ 02/09/09 02:10 PM
NHL 94
High Heat Baseball 2003

# 10 Cryolemon @ 02/09/09 06:23 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer 2
Brian Lara Cricket (for the Mega Drive)
Out of the Park Baseball 5

# 11 jaosming @ 02/18/09 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
If you're going to pick an NBA Street game, I'd actually go with the first one.
little delay, sorry, but I wanted to nominate the first one but I didnt think anyone would agree with me. I love it so much more than the 2nd one. Still playing it today

# 12 zzyzx @ 02/25/09 02:00 AM
Someone has to nominate Slam Dunk: Super Pro Basketball (Intellivision).

Ton of fun to play and, as far as I know, the first sports game with a salary cap and fantasy draft. It's standard fare now, but this game came out when Reagan was President.

No NBA license, but if you couldn't figure out that, say, Larry Hawk was Larry Bird...

Screenshot of draft:
http://www.intvfunhouse.com/intvcorp/games/slam-02.png

I actually don't know who Barrel Smith is - but he's obviously a monster. Takes up more than 40% of your cap by himself. My secret weapon was a guy named Judge. Must have been a glitch w/ the software because he *never* shot less than 50% on threes. Good times.

# 13 Rocky @ 03/06/09 08:25 PM
NCAA Gamebreaker 98. Ricky Williams was just such a beast.

# 14 spit_bubble @ 03/13/09 10:41 AM
Hey BlyGilmore...

How about an Operation Sports, Sports Videogame Hall of Fame?

You could select a Hall of Fame board to nominate and vote on various games... And then do a feature story when a game gets into the Hall... Maybe make it an annual event...

Also you could have criteria like: only OS staff and forum users with at least 1,000 posts can be on the HOF board... Games must have been out for at least three years before they can be nominated...

Well, you get the idea.

# 15 Alai @ 03/15/09 12:22 AM
The BIGS!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.