Home
News Post

The MLB 09 The Show demo is up on the Playstation Network Store. Please post your impressions once you download and play the game.

Please don't post anything until you have played the game.

MLB '09: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/05/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Just HAVE to post that right? Don't worry... your Xbox friends aren't going to check OS and notice you're cheating on them... it's a game system; Enjoy it as such.
It's more of a BR Player to me than a gaming system, but neither here or there...

# 122 countryboy @ 02/05/09 10:44 PM
I absolutely love the crowd. 1st and 3rd for the Rays with 1 out in the third, and they get on their feet and roar as they try to help Hamels get out of this jam.

# 123 Artman22 @ 02/05/09 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Art...you sure you're in 720p?
I don't have it.(unless I'm just not noticing it)

M.K.
Knight165
Maybe i should charge my camcorder batteries and show you step by step of me play this game on my Samsung HDTV and the settings at 720p jk lol but in all honesty yes i'm playing it at 720p and im getting framerate problems but it's only while pitching and batting. Trust me i wish i didnt have to deal with this

# 124 Rod_Carew29 @ 02/05/09 10:45 PM
I gotta laugh...some of this zeal....like in this case...STAND UP DOUBLES...is NOTHING new....there were MANY doubles in The Show '08....stand up, sliding in, ground rule, bloops, etc...

againm, makes me wonder if guys actually PLAY the game, sim or play 1 or 2 and sim the rest (where no doubt you'll miss everything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo
WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!

Unbelievable, I just finished my first game and it was a happy ending.

Rays scored only once with 2 hits and 6 walks (lol) and in the 4th, I ralied against Kazmir. lead-off blooper in center from rollins, werth struck out looking and Utley went DEEP for the walk-off.

hit variety looks good to me, rays had 2 hits and both of them were doubles...STAND-UP DOUBLES! thank you

fielding is improved, it looks much smoother.

check-swings are in the game, but like our experts said, it's more difficult, especially with the pitcher at the plate.

Game plays pretty good out of the box, but I bet it will be huge with a good slider-setting.

Power is probably too much out of the box, I hit a bomb with Utley and one to the warning-track with Howard.
But Kazmir struck me out 4-5 times and I ended up with only 2 hits, if walks are fixed, this is great news.

# 125 Marino @ 02/05/09 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I absolutely love the crowd. 1st and 3rd for the Rays with 1 out in the third, and they get on their feet and roar as they try to help Hamels get out of this jam.

CB have you seen the Philly mascot yet?

# 126 Pared @ 02/05/09 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
It's more of a BR Player to me than a gaming system
Good for you.

Now, hopefully we can keep the thread on impressions instead of discussing someone's personal issues with a brand.

# 127 countryboy @ 02/05/09 10:48 PM
damn fixes to the outfield. Longoria put one in the gap and I'm so used to being able to just run over and "grab" it that I just let the ball roll to the wall

# 128 harsh128 @ 02/05/09 10:48 PM
Just played my first game and went immediatly to legend mode and i can not believe how had it is to even make contact with the ball. When the game was all said and done i struck out 12 times in 6 innings and lost 2-0 aganist Kaz. I lost on a couple of cheapies down the line by Iwamura and Crawford that drove in a couple of runs. The A.I batting was not swinging and missing enough since I had no Ks with Hamels. Also the control was to good for both picther cause no team had a walk. Also anybody figure out how to bring in someone from bench/bullpen?

Overall i had a good time playing. The day/night progression was fantastic. Defenitaly a 1st day buy for me.

# 129 riDIRKulous41 @ 02/05/09 10:48 PM
I have the framerate issues AT 720P when the ball is pitched which messes with my timing but i realize this is the demo so not worried.

I saw a great cut scene...A DP was hit to Utley he flipped to Rollions and Rollins dropped the ball as he was about to throw to 1st. The ump called the runner at 2nd out and here comes Joe Madden running out to debate the call. The ump was showing with his hands that the runner was out at 2nd bc Rollins was making the transfer from his glove to hand to throw the ball to first. Madden agrued for about 10 sec...that was pretty cool, never saw that in '08

I also had a play were Pena was thrown out trying to stretch a single to a double (man is Pena slow)...There was a cut to the dugout that had Madden come sit next to Pena, put his arm around his shoulder in what looked like to be some type of coaching to him....GREATNESS

# 130 countryboy @ 02/05/09 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13882
CB have you seen the Philly mascot yet?
not yet.

# 131 CS10029 @ 02/05/09 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Maybe i should charge my camcorder batteries and show you step by step of me play this game on my Samsung HDTV and the settings at 720p jk lol but in all honesty yes i'm playing it at 720p and im getting framerate problems but it's only while pitching and batting. Trust me i wish i didnt have to deal with this
Yeah I get it too. I actually had it on 1080i and it was doing it. So I switched it to 720p and it is still doing it.

It isn't a big deal to me though. I'm sure it won't be in the final version and I can live with it now, knowing it won't be there later.

# 132 CS10029 @ 02/05/09 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riDIRKulous41
I saw a great cut scene...A DP was hit to Utley he flipped to Rollions and Rollins dropped the ball as he was about to throw to 1st. The ump called the runner at 2nd out and here comes Joe Madden running out to debate the call. The ump was showing with his hands that the runner was out at 2nd bc Rollins was making the transfer from his glove to hand to throw the ball to first. Madden agrued for about 10 sec...that was pretty cool, never saw that in '08
Apparently it was in '08 too, but I saw it for the first time today in the demo.

# 133 gman2774 @ 02/05/09 10:52 PM
Not to start a TV tech forum but I can't find a setting within my TV menu that lets me choose the resolution. I have the PS3 set to detect up to 1080i. Should I only have the PS3 detect 720 to maximize The Show?

# 134 Artman22 @ 02/05/09 10:53 PM
[quote=bigfnjoe96;2039155928]1st of I need to get this out of the way....

XBL>PSN... took me 1:15 minutes to download & another 20 to install... 1 of the reason I'm not a big PS3 fan. MANDATORY INSTALLS...

Now that's out of the way:

Demo looked great. I didn't change anything in the Menu. Lost on a walk-off.
Spoiler

Only played 1 game, so I didn't see many new animations. I did see:

Jump Throw & a 1st baseman on a foul ball down the line push it in foul territory with his glove.

Pitching did feel tighter. The transition in lighting is great. For an early build the game played very well. Here some screens I took:

[quote]
Joe maybe you need to step up your internet provider game lol jk. It only took me 20 minutes to download the game. What do you have DSL?

# 135 flymrfreakjar @ 02/05/09 10:54 PM
Wow. So my first MLB 09 game was pretty insane. Game starts with a lead off triple by Iwamura— 145 pitches later Cole Hamels ends up my winning pitcher with 13 shutout innings. Going into the 13th tied 0-0 and back to back doubles by Utley and Howard win it for the Phils. I had it set on H.O.F (not trying Legend yet haha...) difficulty without any other tweaks other than pitching w/ the outfield cam.

Initial impressions:

Bat speed just seems WAY quicker overall than last year, which is great. Took me a long time to adjust, but it feels like you can really let pitches get in deep before swinging which is beautiful. I look forward to playing another game and getting used to it. Regardless hitting seems quite a bit more difficult in general.

Pitching is still very, very easy. That being said, I'll give it a shot on Legend and see how it goes

# 136 blinkfan77 @ 02/05/09 10:55 PM
About this frame rate thing...

If I have an expensive TV and a game that is optimized to run at 1080p, why shouldn't we be able to play it without issues on 1080p?

I take it everyone just means to play the DEMO on 720p, but please, when the full game is released, there's no excuse to not be able to play this on 1080p.

# 137 nemesis04 @ 02/05/09 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh128
Just played my first game and went immediatly to legend mode and i can not believe how had it is to even make contact with the ball. When the game was all said and done i struck out 12 times in 6 innings and lost 2-0 aganist Kaz. I lost on a couple of cheapies down the line by Iwamura and Crawford that drove in a couple of runs. The A.I batting was not swinging and missing enough since I had no Ks with Hamels. Also the control was to good for both picther cause no team had a walk. Also anybody figure out how to bring in someone from bench/bullpen?

Overall i had a good time playing. The day/night progression was fantastic. Defenitaly a 1st day buy for me.
No, you just are not pitching good enough yet.

# 138 harsh128 @ 02/05/09 10:56 PM
so thats what it is. lol

# 139 bcruise @ 02/05/09 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkfan77
About this frame rate thing...

If I have an expensive TV and a game that is optimized to run at 1080p, why shouldn't we be able to play it without issues on 1080p?

I take it everyone just means to play the DEMO on 720p, but please, when the full game is released, there's no excuse to not be able to play this on 1080p.
The game is optimized to run at 720, not 1080.

# 140 Marino @ 02/05/09 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
not yet.
If you put the controller down for a minute of two, he will show up after the discussion between the catcher, hitter and umpire

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.