Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Unmasked @ 02/06/09 09:32 PM
I think the majority of the people that buy Madden need the helpers. For us who don't want them on, we can take them off ourselves. I think more people prefer the icons on than off.

# 2 Cdenz @ 02/06/09 09:32 PM
I like weapons off

# 3 LBzrule @ 02/06/09 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?
With the weapon icons, I think you will do fine without them. You did fine without them in the past. Unless you are going to program specific abilities and attach it to weapon icons so that players with certain icons have special animation sets, I just think the game would look alot cleaner without all of that stuff in there.

# 4 ch46647 @ 02/06/09 09:33 PM
To answer your question, NO the masses do not need this. The weapons and all that in my opinion should have never even been done to begin with, its all pretty much just eye candy. I started playing Madden when I was about 8 in "91". Madden never had any of that back then and thats when you guys were building the dynasty that Madden has become today.

# 5 BigDuke @ 02/06/09 09:34 PM
Leave them off. The only thing I ever look at pre-play is the coaches view toggle that shows the play I've called.

# 6 ch46647 @ 02/06/09 09:38 PM
On a side not Ian I know you mentioned on your twitter about a possible update Sunday to combat "The Show" demo. That demo has gotten higher praise then I have ever seen any sports game get (Untill Madden 10...Hopefully). I was just wondering if your have made your decision yet on giving us more info? Thanks!

# 7 Chi Dynasty12 @ 02/06/09 09:41 PM
GREAT IDEA, They make everything look fake.

# 8 Herky @ 02/06/09 09:42 PM
Off is my preference. It looks cartoonish when they are on.

# 9 Tyrant8RDFL @ 02/06/09 09:46 PM
I like your decision to clean it up. Like you said its back to Football.

Just make a notation in the manual for those that need help or aids in the game how they can access it.

Again nice decision.

# 10 SmashMan @ 02/06/09 09:48 PM
Of the options given, the only one I really use is the pre-play menu, because sometimes I just forget certain buttons and analog flicks. That being said, having them off by default is better. Maybe if you keep the same types of loading screens, throw up a "Need preplay help? Want to see which players are 'weapons'? Turn these on in the options tab in the pause menu." type of thing so if the casual people want it, they can easily find it.

# 11 roadman @ 02/06/09 09:48 PM
Weapons icons off, please.

I use the coach view as well and once in a while I'll use pre-play controls.

However; you could put the pre-play controls in the book as usual and have a clean screen except for the score and other presentation items.

# 12 Sausage @ 02/06/09 10:12 PM
I like the preplay menu NCAA uses, its nice, small, and neat. What makes Maddens so terrible is the fact it actually includes how to snap the ball, fake snap, and other stuff that should just be in the manual.

# 13 countryboy @ 02/06/09 10:16 PM
I prefer off.

Two things:

1: I liked the weapon icons shown for the sole purpose of identifying a specific defensive player. If there is a way that you can identify him without the icon, I'm all for it.

2) Could it be possible to tying the pre-play menus on/off to the skill level chosen? Say for Rookie/Pro they are on and for All-Pro/All-Madden they are automatically off? Or if you had a choice of say like Hardcore/Casual or something along those lines.

Just my .02.

Love the ideaology of "pure football".

# 14 reverend_heat @ 02/06/09 10:17 PM
Is the scoreboard going to go away once the ball is snapped in 10? I have a newer Plasma and the orbiter seems to have kept any burn-in away, but that constant scoreboard at the top of the screen drives me nuts. Please make it an option to remove it or at least vanish during a play.

# 15 bowdown2shadi @ 02/06/09 10:17 PM
As long as players have the option to turn it back on, its gravy. I would love to play some football on a clean screen.

# 16 frankrizzo380 @ 02/06/09 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

u r a marketing genius sir, my answer is OFF yep just plain old OFF. i have a beautiful 47'' sony and all that icon juck does nothing for my beautiful screen...OFF!!! lol

# 17 Wilk5280 @ 02/06/09 10:19 PM
Off really is the way to go. And for the love of God, please have them off by default for online play at the very least.

# 18 frankrizzo380 @ 02/06/09 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
Ian ill leave you with this quote

"Everything you see on sunday you will see in madden"

that was a paraphrase
lol, nuff said...funny how he answered this question already just a few days ago

# 19 cdon2k @ 02/06/09 10:22 PM
Wow, I am surprised I am in the minority on this one. I need those icons/menus! I have been playing Madden since 2003 and am still learning new things up to this day.

Pre-play has so many options/functions, I am not sure who in their right mind could keep those straight. I don't use all of them, but it's nice to have a reminder for when I am in the menus (especially when "B" backs out on one and "RB" cancels in another lol. What I would like to see here is a minimization of the menu. Think Madden 06-07 360 except have them even closer to the screen's edge.

I also like the weapons icons because they let me know who other team's playmakers are. I would hate to lose the option to see who's who pre play.

I am interested in a clean look for 2010, but I think it could be accomplished be redesigning the pre-play menus and weapon icons. I really like the "Star" icons in NCAA Football as the represent a star player, but don't have a black background that's distracting. Take a look at how these were done and implement it in Madden.

# 20 frankrizzo380 @ 02/06/09 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Wow, I am surprised I am in the minority on this one. I need those icons/menus! I have been playing Madden since 2003 and am still learning new things up to this day.

Pre-play has so many options/functions, I am not sure who in their right mind could keep those straight. I don't use all of them, but it's nice to have a reminder for when I am in the menus (especially when "B" backs out on one and "RB" cancels in another lol. What I would like to see here is a minimization of the menu. Think Madden 06-07 360 except have them even closer to the screen's edge.

I also like the weapons icons because they let me know who other team's playmakers are. I would hate to lose the option to see who's who pre play.

I am interested in a clean look for 2010, but I think it could be accomplished be redesigning the pre-play menus and weapon icons. I really like the "Star" icons in NCAA Football as the represent a star player, but don't have a black background that's distracting. Take a look at how these were done and implement it in Madden.
and hats great dude remember u r not part of the minority because u r giving ian ur opinion that he needs just as much as the next madden gamer, and the redesigning idea is a great one imo

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.