Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

OK, so it's Friday on the east coast. So that means it's time to show a video clip from Major League Baseball 2K9. This one is simply an intro to the Cardinals @ Cubs. Gameplay video is encoding.

Let's see how the server holds up. When you respond, please talk about the video and the video only. Let's keep the chatter about which game is better for another day, shall we? Also, if you don't mind, let me know what you think about the quality of the video. Enjoy.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 CarryTheWeight @ 02/13/09 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNYY
why are the cardinals wearing red helmets on the road?
They do...

...in Spring Training. Hopefully 2K can address this before release.

EDIT: Pujols 4 MVP beat me to it...

# 42 Brooklynnets24 @ 02/13/09 01:36 AM
the dude voice from the select screen sounds like hes flexing and talking at the same time wtf

# 43 Artman22 @ 02/13/09 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I dunno, the arm complaint can be argued about The Show, but 2K has now the L arms, fat legs and butt syndrome.

So both need work, but I still think The Show has more aesthetically pleasing models. Especially since these (2K9) dont even match 2K7 which were nicely done.

Basically they did not age too well, and lost detail (more than likely to obtain 60FPS).
Are we looking at the same game? 2k9 player models look better to me. The faces look way better in the show

# 44 PVarck31 @ 02/13/09 01:43 AM
Is it just me, or do the player models kind of resemble 2k3 and 2k4's player models?

# 45 Blzer @ 02/13/09 01:45 AM
Okay... wow at the real time! I doubt anyone noticed, but Wainwright is warming up in the bullpen before he goes out for the bottom of the first. Now that is real time detail!

There are some weird slow-down/speed-up transition animation things, but everything else looked great!

(oh, the intro was kind of weird... like the beginning for a boxing game or something)

# 46 Artman22 @ 02/13/09 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Okay... wow at the real time! I doubt anyone noticed, but Wainwright is warming up in the bullpen before he goes out for the bottom of the first. Now that is real time detail!

There are some weird slow-down/speed-up transition animation things, but everything else looked great!

(oh, the intro was kind of weird... like the beginning for a boxing game or something)
The slow down is on the cut scenes only. The same thing happends in NBA2k9 but the actual gameplay is 60fps smooth.

# 47 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/09 01:51 AM
Well, the graphics do look better in motion, still "ehh" on them though. There is just something wrong. Animations look pretty good though and I love some of the camera angles (especially the slightly overhead, behind the pitcher one of Zambrano warming up).

Gary Thorne is as awesome as I thought he'd be. Phillips sounded less scripted than in the other short, but jusat okay (I will refrain from going too deep in criticism of Phillips, as I'm sure my real life hatred of him might cause me to not judge him responsibly...lol).

Overall, a very good intro. I do miss the exterior stadium intro and the toss down from "the studio" but this intro, while simplified in some ways, seems much smoother.

My only gripe (I think it was Nemesis who mentioned it first) was the weird voiceover at the loading screen. It screamed "monster truck rally." I half expected a "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY,"...followed by a row of cars being crushed...lol.

Jokes aside though, it looked solid. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay tomorrow (or later today, I guess)

EDIT: To add, the "real-time" environment does indeed look very sharp. Plus, I continue to be impressed by the crowd...HUGE improvement and well done

# 48 Scooter3 @ 02/13/09 02:05 AM
Thanks Steve,
It's just stunning! It makes me feel like baseball is just around the corner.

I'm sleeping with my glove under my pillow tonight....
Thank You Visual Concepts!
Scooter....

# 49 RedLine @ 02/13/09 02:24 AM
I think the video quality is very nice, and it looks like this game will be a step up in graphic quality from 2K8.

The intro does seem a little "light", I too miss the external views of the ballparks.

Is Jeannie Z. not doing any intros or commentary this year? I liked her last year in 2K8.

This must be a quick start game as I didn't see options to choose ballpark, time of day, weather, etc.

I noticed there are 4 controller icons on the startup screen, 2 on each side. I wonder if this means we will be able to have co-op play, 2 vs. 2 etc. That would be nice.

So far it's looking pretty nice.

The rest of the game intro is nice and I really like the new commentary team.

Going to watch this again.

# 50 The Bimmer @ 02/13/09 06:24 AM
I just checked it out and it reminds me of the 2k9 hockey intro a little bit. So far so good! On to the gameplay vids.

# 51 BigBlue @ 02/13/09 07:41 AM
We got a PRACTICE MODE this year? That's what it looks like at the very end of the clip. I hope it's like a batting cage setup for hitting, and an option to practice turning double plays as part of Fielding.

PRACTICE! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE, MAN! PRACTICE!

BigBlue

# 52 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
We got a PRACTICE MODE this year? That's what it looks like at the very end of the clip. I hope it's like a batting cage setup for hitting, and an option to practice turning double plays as part of Fielding.

PRACTICE! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE, MAN! PRACTICE!

BigBlue
There are 4 practice modes this year:

# 53 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/13/09 09:01 AM
The change in the INTRO was well overdue & boy what a way to make that change... Not sure if this is a FINAL Copy Steve has, but the only thing that I see wrong is the minor studder between camera transitions..

Everything else screams TV Telecast...

# 54 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
The change in the INTRO was well overdue & boy what a way to make that change... Not sure if this is a FINAL Copy Steve has, but the only thing that I see wrong is the minor studder between camera transitions..

Yes, I love how it actually shows the pitcher throwing some warm up pitches this year. Previous 2K games just showed him stretching (with the same animation every time). Looks MUCH better this year

# 55 asu666 @ 02/13/09 09:54 AM
It's nice to see some good game play footage. My impression is that it's going to be a big step up for MLB 2K8, but still a long way behind The Show. It looked like it might need another year of development time too before it's really polished.

# 56 Woodweaver @ 02/13/09 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96

Sorry, not trying to pick on you, but I've been seeing this more and more on the forum. It's starting to drive me crazy:

"studder" is spelled "stuTTer"

Ahhhh, there, got that off my chest.

Awesome videos by the way! Looks like 2K baseball is finally heading in the right direction.

# 57 Eddie1967 @ 02/13/09 12:19 PM
Looks like a T.V. broadcast. Way to go VC.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.