Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Here is the other Major League Baseball 2K9 video, I promised you guys. Please don't post any questions or requests, just stay on topic. More videos will be posted later.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 The Bimmer @ 02/13/09 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
You can give it a review score after watching 1 inning of gameplay? Interesting.
Correct!! I would score it that way after 1 inning. That could change however!

# 22 Blzer @ 02/13/09 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdog
As a PS3 owner I agree. I hope you can turn off the ball trails as well.
Ball trails can be turned off, but I don't know about things like:

- Meters
- Cursors
- Names under players
- Swing feedback

One big thing is there's not text screaming in front of your face whether a player is out or safe. They put it up in the score overlay.

# 23 nemesis04 @ 02/13/09 10:23 AM
I would say after the first inning, presentation/atmosphere has a lead over game play. I would like to see how the rest of the game progresses.

# 24 DaveDQ @ 02/13/09 10:24 AM
I'm noticing some things that look really cool. The umpire will adjust his out fit after calling a play. The stands are funny. People are crossing their legs, placing their head in their hands, just some nice touches.

At the end of the video, you almost feel like a commercial should start. A really nice job on atmosphere in this game.

# 25 allBthere @ 02/13/09 10:44 AM
I'm not a debbie downer, but am I the only one who saw major hiccups? The frame rate was not 60fps or even close during actual play - now I hope that's because it's a video, but other vids I see don't do that

anytime the camera needs to 'pan' it happens, and even the pitchers delivery didn't look smooth to me.
could be me computer, but I waited for the vid to load 100% and have seen other vids not do this so...

# 26 Blzer @ 02/13/09 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I'm not a debbie downer, but am I the only one who saw major hiccups? The frame rate was not 60fps or even close during actual play - now I hope that's because it's a video, but other vids I see don't do that

anytime the camera needs to 'pan' it happens, and even the pitchers delivery didn't look smooth to me.
could be me computer, but I waited for the vid to load 100% and have seen other vids not do this so...
With all due respect, this must be a very old build and did not yet undergo the optimization process before the game's completion. After all, Adam Kennedy is still on the Cardinals in this build.

I don't even know if we can base the framerate off the demo. If we are allowed to reserve judgment for retail and trust developers' word for The Show, that would be unfair to not give VC that same chance. This is Visual Concepts, after all... this isn't some Brinkman routine or whatever people are not excusing any shammered hopes for.

# 27 Keirik @ 02/13/09 10:56 AM
fielder gloves still look comical. Same with player faces..

double play animation was terrible by te shortstop. He starts the animation but seems like it wasn't finished. Not only does he remain right on the bag with the runner barrelling down on him, but he manages somehow to flick his wrist only and release a bb to first..

odd

# 28 Hoos @ 02/13/09 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere

Have you tried rewinding and watching the "hitchy" parts again?? Someone in this thread said they did that and it was much better the second time. So, I tried and BAM, silky smooth. Like this person said, it may be the fact that it's a video and some people's PC doesn't like the player.

As far as what I've seen thus far, I'd say that I'm cautiously optimistic.

- Visually the game looks LEAPS and BOUNDS better than 2K8!!!

- The atmosphere is arguably the best that I've ever seen in any baseball game to date and that includes the "other" game.

- Although the bat/ball contact sounds like a piece of bamboo, I can live with that.

- My one gripe at this point is the player faces............EEEK!!!

- Have to see a much bigger sampling of gameplay, but the hit variety I've seen thus far is very impressive!! As others have said, the lack of foul balls and deep pitch counts is a huge concern though.

Hopefully VC has fine tuned the game even more............we may just have a 360 winner on our hands this year......YEEHAW!!!

For me, the biggest concern is that the game is actually playable on XBL this year.

# 29 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier4974
Have you tried rewinding and watching the "hitchy" parts again?? Someone in this thread said they did that and it was much better the second time. So, I tried and BAM, silky smooth. Like this person said, it may be the fact that it's a video and some people's PC doesn't like the player.
That's exactly what I did and it worked great. The game looked very smooth

# 30 myghty @ 02/13/09 11:04 AM
First off. Thank you very much Steve for putting in the work for the screenshots & vids. Really appreciate it.

The game looks good to me. If it framerate is good & franchise is good with close to real stats I am good.

# 31 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 11:12 AM
I'm speechless, in a good way. I'm late to the party and don't have a lot to add that hasn't been said already..

That said, the real-time world is just incredible. Some of the camera changes between pitches just look like something I'd see watching a game on TV. The atmosphere is world's better than it was last year.

Pitching looks solid - I imagine the giant pitch icon helps reduce accuracy. Hitting looked pretty much the same, so the jury is out about the improved hit variety. But hey -- it was only six at bats!

I planned on buying 2K9, no matter what. But now I'm actually excited to.

# 32 lived @ 02/13/09 11:17 AM
Just woke up to pure bliss. Might I say the Commentary is leaps and bounds over last years. The real-time atmosphere is a huge plus. All that's left for me is to see if it plays a real game of baseball (HR, Stealing, ERA) and I'm totally sold

# 33 mwjr @ 02/13/09 11:29 AM
Some issues:

1. Balls are getting to the outfielders (or vice versa) way too quickly. That first base hit is lined over the SS, hits the OF grass and then makes one bounce, sailing about 40 feet in the air to the OF.

2. The subsequent double play: the 2nd baseman is facing home when he makes his throw to first. He's facing home, and throws his right across his body, like he's trying to hug himself, and somehow gets the ball to the 1BMan in time for the DP.

These are concerning.

# 34 Knight165 @ 02/13/09 11:30 AM
I tried the replaying of the vid.
I still see the hitches.
Same spots....it's much better from behind the pitcher and in the rest of this vid. The top of the 1st vid it's very apparent to me.
The DP ball didn't bother me that much. Just a weird angle the SS was at when he threw the ball.
I like how Soriano was bouncing around at 1st...looked good.
I do agree with the guys who are saying there is no way the CF should have gotten to that double in the first vid AND made it a bang bang play at second. From the wall!? No way.
Hopefully you can slow the OF'ers down as they seem to get to the balls too quickly..maybe through a slider or attribute adjustment if necessary.
The bat? yikes.....That's the FIRST thing VC should have gotten rid of. Sounds like wet bamboo being whacked on a table!

Steve....how did the game feel? as far as playing?...
More vids please

M.K.
Knight165

# 35 areobee401 @ 02/13/09 11:31 AM
The real time atmosphere really brings a lot to the game. The biggest thing I take away from the video is the ballpark size. It feels like a MLB for once which is a huge plus. Granteed some things that have already been brought up kind of bug me but all and all it looks like I may have two ball games this season.

# 36 Eddie1967 @ 02/13/09 11:36 AM
WOW, outstanding. The animations, crowd sounds, and visuals are all brilliant. Can't wait to play this. Keep the videos coming.

# 37 CarryTheWeight @ 02/13/09 11:37 AM
A lot of the gripes that users are addressing are pretty minor, which is good and should all be addressed in optimization or (God forbid) a patch. As long as there isn't anything gamekilling when we finally get our hands on the game, demo or retail, then we could be in for a treat this year. No game will be perfect, not even that "other" game.

Like someone already said, this reminds me of ESPN NFL Football (2K4). A solid base and a good effort to build on...but how does it play? That's one question that still needs to be answered.

# 38 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Steve....how did the game feel? as far as playing?...
He asked us not to post any questions yet.

# 39 lived @ 02/13/09 11:53 AM
My only gripe is they kept those throws the outfielder makes, it's always the same for every outfielder, where he lunges forward and does a full throwing animation every time. Even if there's no urgency on the play

# 40 bluengold34_OS @ 02/13/09 11:54 AM
I can honestly say that all I really wanted was a fun game of baseball, the represented the sport well......and didn't have the problems that killed the last 3 years versions. While the game may not be perfect, it's looks like it might be perfect for me. I will have the Show also, and was really hoping for a really fun game to switch back and forth with.

The immersion is huge for me, and the "real world" looks like it is going to deliver on that aspect. As far as the bat sounds and other little quirks, it's just not an issue for me. Its a video game, and I just want to have fun playing it. I understand that these may be big for some, and I respect that, but they are just minor to me.

For the first time in 3 years, I feel like I will not have to defend or explain why I enjoy the 2k baseball game. Maybe if I only had a 360, I might have a different point of view, but for now, I am very happy with what I have seen from the small examples of what we have been shown.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.