Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Here is another Major League Baseball 2K9 video. This one showing off the "Zone Hitting" and the top 3 plays.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ShowTyme15 @ 02/16/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Looks alright. Not a fan of their bright giant indicators though (accross the board...what's the obsession with bright yellow?...lol).

Any option to turn that off Steve?
Yeah I'm with you on that. Is there anyway to have zone hitting without the cursor or whatever? Thanks

# 22 jeffy777 @ 02/16/09 09:15 PM
One animation that has been bothering me in these vids is when it shows the players clapping.....doesn't look like the hands are close to touching. Not a game killer, but just...awkward. A thing like that won't keep me from buying the game though

# 23 rock85 @ 02/16/09 09:16 PM
Big i hate to break it to you but Scott is right it's Thorne

# 24 Steve_OS @ 02/16/09 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Yeah I'm with you on that. Is there anyway to have zone hitting without the cursor or whatever? Thanks
Well, you can have batter's eye on and zone hitting off, or vice versa. Or both on, both off.

# 25 Artman22 @ 02/16/09 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock85
Big i hate to break it to you but Scott is right it's Thorne
It's clearly thorne

# 26 BadKermit @ 02/16/09 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
I have a question about user hitting. It was mentioned in some of the early previews that there would be a color indicator for each pitch thrown by the opposing pitcher. It seems as if there is a such thing from the videos that I have been watching, but the color only appears after the pitch has reached the catchers glove. I have noticed that a cutter is blue, a fastball is green, and a curve is red. However, I would like to know if there is a way to turn on the color indicator while the pitch is being delivered and not waiting until after it is grabbed by the catcher.

Does that make sense?
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I'd like to know this, too. It doesn't make much sense to know what the pitch was AFTER it's already hit the catcher's mitt.

# 27 ShowTyme15 @ 02/16/09 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Well, you can have batter's eye on and zone hitting off, or vice versa. Or both on, both off.
can you have it with the swing stick off too? Example would be instead of the swing stick just be able to hit using the buttons on the controller?

# 28 Steve_OS @ 02/16/09 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Steve, Any way I could get a shot (vid or screen) of the lowest availbe adjusted cam when batting? No biggie, just if you can.
I'm pretty sure that screenshot has been posted Sky, please confirm. I got them all, or so I thought.

# 29 Steve_OS @ 02/16/09 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
can you have it with the swing stick off too? Example would be instead of the swing stick just be able to hit using the buttons on the controller?
Ya, just change it to "Classic" in the controller setup.

# 30 ShowTyme15 @ 02/16/09 09:32 PM
Quote:
Ya, just change it to "Classic" in the controller setup.
Oh Okay Thanks Steve I appreciate it.

# 31 Blzer @ 02/16/09 09:32 PM
Okay, just watched the video. That's cursor hitting, plain and simple. I don't know why people are saying "zone."

# 32 Skyboxer @ 02/16/09 09:34 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that screenshot has been posted Sky, please confirm. I got them all, or so I thought.
Good deal I'll check em out again....
The lower the better for my eyes....

# 33 lived @ 02/16/09 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Okay, just watched the video. That's cursor hitting, plain and simple. I don't know why people are saying "zone."
That is definitely Cursor Hitting. VC just labelled it wrong. I must say it looked pretty good on the video as the ball did hit the bottom of the bat resulting in a grounder.

# 34 jeffy777 @ 02/16/09 09:40 PM
Quote:
People are saying "zone" because that's what 2K is calling it. But yes, it is cursor hitting.

# 35 RedLine @ 02/16/09 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
I have a question about user hitting. It was mentioned in some of the early previews that there would be a color indicator for each pitch thrown by the opposing pitcher. It seems as if there is a such thing from the videos that I have been watching, but the color only appears after the pitch has reached the catchers glove. I have noticed that a cutter is blue, a fastball is green, and a curve is red. However, I would like to know if there is a way to turn on the color indicator while the pitch is being delivered and not waiting until after it is grabbed by the catcher.

Does that make sense?
I remember reading this too and the only video where I saw this happening is the Hitting practice here: http://gamecinemahd.com/video/major_...eball_2k9/3863

It looks like the pitch color shows if you use the Guess Pitch feature and guess the location of the pitch, which is how it worked last year. The problem with last year is that the color showed up very late leaving very little time to react.

Notice in the video how the guess pitch dark gray circle is right in the middle of the strike zone, and the pitcher is grooving fast balls down the middle, and each time you see the Green ball icon pretty early.

I was hoping it was more like the MVP hitter's eye where you could track the color out of the pitcher's hand. But if it's an improvement over last year's guess pitch/color tipoff then I'll be ok with that too.

# 36 Artman22 @ 02/16/09 09:45 PM
Quote:
OK BLZER it's cursor hitting. It's still better then time only right

# 37 RedLine @ 02/16/09 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
People are saying "zone" because that's what 2K is calling it. But yes, it is cursor hitting.
Maybe the publisher thinks that calling it "Cursor hitting" will scare off some folks. They are trying to appeal to more pickup-and-play users.

Perhaps this system is more forgiving that standard cursor hitting, and closer to the zone hitting it's named after. I guess we'll know when we play it more.

# 38 Skyboxer @ 02/16/09 09:55 PM
Quote:

Yep It's there... and I'm VERY happy.

# 39 RogueHominid @ 02/16/09 10:28 PM
Man, I think this game is looking pretty nice.

From Steve's comments about hit variety to the added difficulty of cursor hitting, there may be potential here for a challenging hitting engine.

I also liked that the CPU batter took a called 3rd strike on the high change. I don't know if any sliders were adjusted for that game, but it was refreshing to see.

I'm not a fan of all the overlays and how loud they are, but if this game gets fully optimized and the sliders will work for creating realistic pitch counts, then I won't get too caught up in the overlays and Pepsi ads. The real world stuff is the shiznit.

Also, I really like that commentary. It feels very organic. I'm very excited to get a demo for this puppy. Thanks for all the info, Steve!

# 40 SoxFan01605 @ 02/16/09 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
It's quite smilar to the cursor used in Pro Yakyuu Spirits, except for the yellow color, lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ICO...ure=related%22

I just wish it were more transparent........
I know. That's what's killing me about it. Most other games have a more discrete color or opaque effect. This is big, bright, and in your face...lol. I guess you can't complain about not seeing it well enough though (complaints I've read about other cursor systems in the past)

Hopefully it can be turned off.

EDIT: And as someone who will likely be going the PC route, I will be begging for a mod to tone down some of these indicators if possible

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.