Home
News Post

Here are the patch release notes.

Exploit fixes:

-Prevent players from entering games with attributes that are raised beyond the level they can reach with the card they are entitled to have. Players who have elevated their attributes this way should reset their character by changing the type and reassigning their points.
-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 6'4" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).
-Fixed some problems that could cause the game to hang or go out of sync when pausing.
- Prevent use of LB to get up instantly after being knocked over.
-Reduce accuracy of shooting while using vision control to skate backwards.
-Prevent high, accurate slap shots from in close to the net.

Other changes:

-Reduced the ease of beating the goalie on the short side.
-Decrease the tendency of the goalies to use a desperation save unnecessarily.
-Strict calling of interference, though you can still clear players directly in front of the net without getting called for interference.
-Added stick lift to Classic controls using LB+X(XBox) /L1+Square(PS3). It is also on R3 (press Right Stick).
-Fixed shot targeting using the Always Up control when skating down ice.
-Added new NHL rule to locate face- offs in the attacking zone to start a powerplay.
- Prevent CPU players from getting delay of game penalties frequently while clearing the puck from their zone.
- Prevent puck from being poke checked away from the goalie when he has it covered under his glove.
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the last man back, holding RT(Xbox)/R2(PS3)
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the goalie, holding LB+A(Xbox)/L1+X(PS3)
-Reduce the range of heights on randomly generated CPU players, including goalies.
-Eliminate the ability to accelerate and maintain high speed while stick lifting.
-More penalties for high sticking when stick lifts are done from behind the opponent.
-Made the colours of the OTP/EASHL indicators more distinct (yellow and orange).
-Made face-off outcomes slightly more random and slightly less dependent on attributes.
-Added assistance to prevent one-timer and shot attempts from leading to accidental hits and interference penalties.
-Goalie tuning to increase goal-scoring a bit to compensate for taking away the easy short-side high goals.
-Improve hit stat tracking to not count all of the small bumps in front of the net.
-Increased injuries caused by CPU teams.
-Prevent puck from being launched with very high speed following a hit.
-AI tuning for superstar. The Aggression slider now affects how intense the CPU team is on that difficulty level.

(http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread....55804&#4755804)

NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ddhex27 @ 02/18/09 02:02 PM
As someone who primarily plays Single Player offline games, I immediately noticed a huge improvement in the goalies and goal scoring variety.

Goal scoring is now back to a more rewarding feel instead of being frustrating and stale. I am scoring off of rebounds/screens/high percentage scoring areas much more frequently now - and it is really rewarding.

There are a ton of improvements to penalties etc etc, but the one post patch improvement I'm most thankful for is the improvement in goalies/scoring.

# 42 jared52 @ 02/18/09 06:03 PM
I haven't won a game postpatch on allstar and I am taking a buttload of penalties. I'm getting better and it's forcing me to be a more focused defender (I play offline vs. CPU). I used to check guys when we were about to go into the corner to battle for the puck because I NEVER come out of those battles with the puck, but that's interference now so I end up just racing to the corner and then trying to poke the puck out before he can get set up. Setting up shots is more fluid, but I still can't score in close. I like the new patch, but I am having to make some adjustments which I think are good. Mostly, I am just impressed that EA was still working on 09.

# 43 Ruffy @ 02/18/09 10:47 PM
HAIL HAIL THE GLITCH IS DEAD!!

I just had the funniest game ever to prove the dam wrap around short side glitch/money goal is gone.

I'm LA and this dude is Anaheim. He goes up 2-0 early in the first. 1-0 goal was a one-timer out front...bad positioning by me screened the tender. The 2 goal he cut to the net and my goalie kind of flopped a bit of cheapie. In between thses goal all this guy did was to try and do that wrap around short side goal...OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

It was laughable.

My wife was watching and asked why is that guy doing that? I said I don't know but its funny and I'm going to win.

I score late in the 1st on the PP to make 2-1 on a nice wrister from the circle.

Tie it up ealry in the 2nd on the PP again...tenacious forecheck he coughs the puck up out front and I make a few quick moves in cloes and goes shelf with Kopitar and its 2-2.

Early 3rd period working it around the point and instead of taking the deep shot Johnson walks in makes a deak and then tucks it bye Giguere to make it 3-2.

The rest of the game this guy keep trying that famous money goal.....but alas he gets a goal with 30 seconds left on a poor rebound. Not much I could do. 3-3.

Overtime I take 2 dumb tripping penalties all my fault too. But I manage to kill them both leaving his PP 0 for 6 on the night. The Kings go 2 for 3 on the PP. OT solves nothing we are off to the shootout.

Now I can't tell if any shootout glithces had been adressed as to my surprise this guy didnt try any of them like I expected him too. We go 7 shooters each with no goals.

His 8th shooter misses and my 8th shooter Armstrong fakes backhand and goes forehand shelf for the shootout winner!! Loving it!

Feels soo good to punish a glitcher!

# 44 mroseland @ 02/18/09 11:53 PM
This patch has definitely breathed new life into this game; it's better than ever. The only strange thing I've experienced post-patch is that two times now in offline BAP I've had a teammate receive a pass then proceed to skate in circles, he won't pass or shoot even when prompted by my button presses, and the defenders don't attack him. I waited for him to sort things out but eventually I had to knock into him enough for a defender to bump into him and knock the puck loose. Awfully strange and I can't cause it to happen, it just occurs. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen something like this.

# 45 eeyor @ 02/19/09 03:43 AM
Pre Patch it was the same...sometimes the cpu gets stuck in one situation, happens to me most of the time when I've set up my defense and 1 CPU guy is just constantly driving in circles UNTIL, I as the defense make some stupid move and get him "open".

# 46 catcatch22 @ 02/19/09 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroseland
This patch has definitely breathed new life into this game; it's better than ever. The only strange thing I've experienced post-patch is that two times now in offline BAP I've had a teammate receive a pass then proceed to skate in circles, he won't pass or shoot even when prompted by my button presses, and the defenders don't attack him. I waited for him to sort things out but eventually I had to knock into him enough for a defender to bump into him and knock the puck loose. Awfully strange and I can't cause it to happen, it just occurs. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen something like this.
I saw this several times. During BAP offline and regular play offline. Not sure what causes it. I am on the 360 with no patch.

# 47 Money99 @ 02/19/09 09:13 AM
I might have to dust off my copy of NHL09 tonight after this new patch has been released.
My biggest complaint about NHL09, one that kept me from enjoying the game, was how the CPU could do the same things with the puck regardless of who it was controlling.
I saw quick 'jukes', needle-threading passes, dekes and the ability to retain the puck no matter who was the checker and was the checkee.
Part of my frustration is that I couldn't do any of those things. If I had Joe Thornton, he could lose the puck if someone like Paul Kariya breathed on him. And yet, I was unable to get the puck away from a guy like Scotty Upshall even if i was checking him or poking at him with Chara.
At the same time, if I wanted to make a quick move with Kane he felt like mud. Meanwhile, I have to watch a guy like Sean O'Donnell do a quick juke, sidestep in the corner, deking around 4 guys before making a perfect 150 foot pass right on the tape.

Does this patch fix that? Or will it be more of the same where I'm forced to chase the CPU around my zone until, eventually, a perfect cross-crease pass is made right on the tape of a teammate for a slam-dunk goal? Where my goalie and a defender in the crease happily allow this pass to go through theirs sticks and feet for the easy one-timer?

That scenario above is exactly what had me minutes away from trading in 09 for something else.

I really hope this patch, or for NHL10 I see a LOT more player separation in regards to attributes. Because I really want to see and feel a difference between the superstars, stars and scrubs from both my team AND the CPU's.

# 48 Splitter77 @ 02/19/09 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I might have to dust off my copy of NHL09 tonight after this new patch has been released.
My biggest complaint about NHL09, one that kept me from enjoying the game, was how the CPU could do the same things with the puck regardless of who it was controlling.
I saw quick 'jukes', needle-threading passes, dekes and the ability to retain the puck no matter who was the checker and was the checkee.
Part of my frustration is that I couldn't do any of those things. If I had Joe Thornton, he could lose the puck if someone like Paul Kariya breathed on him. And yet, I was unable to get the puck away from a guy like Scotty Upshall even if i was checking him or poking at him with Chara.
At the same time, if I wanted to make a quick move with Kane he felt like mud. Meanwhile, I have to watch a guy like Sean O'Donnell do a quick juke, sidestep in the corner, deking around 4 guys before making a perfect 150 foot pass right on the tape.

Does this patch fix that? Or will it be more of the same where I'm forced to chase the CPU around my zone until, eventually, a perfect cross-crease pass is made right on the tape of a teammate for a slam-dunk goal? Where my goalie and a defender in the crease happily allow this pass to go through theirs sticks and feet for the easy one-timer?

That scenario above is exactly what had me minutes away from trading in 09 for something else.

I really hope this patch, or for NHL10 I see a LOT more player separation in regards to attributes. Because I really want to see and feel a difference between the superstars, stars and scrubs from both my team AND the CPU's.
that is still the same with the patch. This is something that should be their #1 priority next season.
the best thing for me to come out of the patch is definitely the goal variety. The goalies dont stop every point blank shot in the slot anymore. Plus it got rid of the money short side goal.

# 49 Money99 @ 02/19/09 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
that is still the same with the patch. This is something that should be their #1 priority next season.
the best thing for me to come out of the patch is definitely the goal variety. The goalies dont stop every point blank shot in the slot anymore. Plus it got rid of the money short side goal.
Thanks for the response Splitter77!
That's disappointing to hear but I'll still download the new patch and give it a whirl.

Thanks again!

# 50 kornsined @ 02/19/09 02:13 PM
Very happy with the scoring variety and the goaltending fixes.

# 51 gator3guy @ 02/19/09 09:35 PM
Great to see EA actually doing some beyond expectations.

Glad to see a higher variety of goals. I hope I can actually score with my defensemen because that is a big part of my game.

Is it possible to download the patch from my computer, copy the file onto my flash drive and upload it to my ps3? I'm at school and don't get internet access to my ps3. Any help would be much appreciated.

# 52 Soulburger @ 02/20/09 01:47 AM
Played a couple of offline BAP games.

1) Puck battles. They changed the freeze time when a puck carrier gets his sticklifted, pokechecked, etc. Also the CPU defender doesn't swoop in right away, get the puck and lead a counter attack. Now I'm getting stripped but fighting back and getting the puck. A lot more variety of turnovers.

2) Goalies are sloppier not floppier! Fewer random flops and more weak goals, rebounds, etc. I might need to change the shot power and accuracy settings down a notch. I had them up a level to try and create more long shot chances. Both games scored over 5 goals.

3) Game speed is faster. Or maybe its just because I advanced another year in my BAP. Player ratings tend to go up every year so that may explain it.

4)Penalties. Lots of 'em.

Overall love it. Thanks EA for taking the time to issue out a 2nd patch.

# 53 canucksss @ 02/20/09 05:46 AM
im 360 owner & cant wait for the patch to come for the 360. just wondering, do i need to restart my Dynasty for this to take effect?

# 54 Redshirt_EA @ 02/20/09 11:09 AM
No.

# 55 gman2774 @ 02/20/09 12:21 PM
Thanks EA for the patch. It's like playing a different game (in a positive way). I've played 4 games on All-Star default sliders. Only exception is I lowered game speed to zero and player acceleration to 2.

I love the fact you have to play true defense. As many have said, you're no longer able to check guys out of the way without drawing an interference call. I also notice the puck plays looser. I used to have puck control at zero and I don't think it's necessary anymore. At default (3) I saw many loose pucks which resulted in fair turnovers for both teams. The game is sloppier overall. By sloppier I mean not as controlled or predictable. It's a good thing. More like real hockey. Leads to some intense moments when you can't get to a puck to start a rush or the puck is just out of reach on a rebound.

Goalies puke a lot more rebounds but I like it. I would say half my goals are scored on rebounds. Scoring is easier but again it’s realistic and a positive development. 2 of my games had a combined 7 goals. The other two were 3-2 and 1-0.

Great job on the patch and thanks for putting the effort to make this game great.

# 56 playmaker7 @ 02/20/09 12:40 PM
Im lovin the patch. I see hella better gameplay now that Ive Dled it. I have only seen 2 injuries on my team so far but its better than none

# 57 playmaker7 @ 02/20/09 01:08 PM
Im lovin the patch. I see hella better gameplay now that Ive Dled it. I have only seen 2 injuries on my team so far but its better than none. Penalties are more varied, as instead of seeing all cross checking penalties, I now see charging, roughing, more boarding, and I was even called for the 2 min checking from behind. I didnt even know that was a call! Overall gj EA

# 58 TDKing @ 02/20/09 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I'm with you on this one.

# 59 kornsined @ 02/20/09 01:37 PM
The only thing that sucks is my terrible defensive skills. The CPU is making me pay. As long as they're not cheese goals, I'm happy.

I should note something irritating I've noticed. When one of my players gets called for a penalty, he freezes and doesn't go for the loose puck. I had my defensemen get called for hooking, the puck came to his feet in front of the net and he did nothing. I had control of him and he couldn't move. Needless to say the opposing CPU player picked the puck up and scored. Very frustrating because it should have never happened. I've had it occur along the boards as well.

# 60 playmaker7 @ 02/20/09 02:11 PM
Yea I hate that cuz youre at a real disadvantage until you wait 5 seconds or get another guy to pick it up. On another note, I woulda liked to fix the freezing before a one timer. I hate when I set up a good one timer and my guy lets it go and stares and cant move

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.