Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Here is another video from Major League Baseball 2K9. This one shows off the bottom of the 9th heroics from the Mariners.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 SwinginAs12 @ 02/21/09 12:11 PM
The thing i wanna know is why isnt marky ellis playing second base, cliff pennington my a**.

# 62 Knight165 @ 02/21/09 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac55
I think you need to relax buddy.. it's video game, not real life. If you think you know everything about baseball, then why aren't you designing this game yourself or on the 2K team?

Give me a break, yeah I am sure I must not know the game considering I am 26 and have guided my school to a city finals and tournament victories.

There are much bigger things you can rip on your kids for in the game of baseball. Not even close at the plate, even if he does throw it? Am I supposed to pin the loss on the A's CF? Wow, relax and learn some fundamentals of the game.. Or, better yet, why don't you apply at 2K on the design team Mr. Know it all.

People like you ruin these boards with your put downs and negativity.. I said reconsider your opinion. I did not disregard it. There is no plate at the plate dude. Ichiro is way too fast and already rounding 3rd by the time he even picks the ball up. RELAX
Actually I think you need to relax after reading this post.
You are overreacting to my post.
I even went on to say such "over the top" things as...
"I'm half kidding about....so and so" and...."it's no biggie"

I made one simple comment about the game ending play going to the cutoff man looking off...
You guys stepped it up by actually trying to defend that play.
I'm not allowed to comment back?
Please.

....and please...it's sweet that you guided your team to the city finals at the ripe old age of 26. You want friggin' cookie?

I'm the know it all?

M.K.
Knight165

# 63 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/21/09 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
The other thing is 2K has had fielder aggression sliders and it may be a simple matter of adjusting those IF VC hasn't removed them.
Fielding Aggression Slider.... Hello Roster Edits....

# 64 stealyerface @ 02/21/09 01:51 PM
If Ichiro is on second base, and that ball gets hit up the middle, and assuming the CF is playing where he was in the context of the game, there is not a centerfielder in the game that throws that ball home. They scoop the ball up, and jog to the bench. In fact, let's say that the shortstop happened to be playing short centerfield and made a diving play on the ball. The game is over with Ichiro running off second base. Period. I love arguing baseball as much as the other guy, but there is not a centerfielder in the game that throws Ichiro out on that play. None. David Ortiz? Maybe. Ichiro? Not a chance in hell.

So trying to come up with yet another "minus" for bad AI logic or programming, with regards to this particular play, is asinine, and simply someone looking for an argument.

syf

# 65 stealyerface @ 02/21/09 02:02 PM
Quote:
You're really bad at debating, aren't you? And not so good when it comes to logic and baseball strategy either. LOL.
Watch the video again. Ichiro is off on the pitch and half way between third and home when the fielder picks up the ball. No one throws that ball.

Yep, apparently bad at debating. Non-debatable arguments especially. Logic and strategy? Play some baseball, then we'll talk.

syf

# 66 tmac55 @ 02/21/09 04:06 PM
Quote:
LOL. If it means that much to you, let's agree you have a definite opinion on the subject that requires reading!
This stuff is ridiculous.. I had someone got at me personally here too for debating the same thing stealyerface did.

Ichiro was 1/4 way home before the CF even picks the ball up.. give it up.. throwing home is a waste of time and energy.. the game was over.. end of story..

It makes me wonder if people like you and the guy going after me even play baseball in real life.

It's a video game people and as far as I know through my involvement with the game, there is no point in even trying. Pay attention to the diamond in the bottom right corner and you will see Ichiro could jog home by the time the CF even picks it up.

Get over yourselves people.. We are commenting on a video game, not debating about baseball 101

# 67 SoxFan01605 @ 02/21/09 04:51 PM
Quote:
This stuff is ridiculous.. I had someone got at me personally here too for debating the same thing stealyerface did.

Ichiro was 1/4 way home before the CF even picks the ball up.. give it up.. throwing home is a waste of time and energy.. the game was over.. end of story..

It makes me wonder if people like you and the guy going after me even play baseball in real life.

It's a video game people and as far as I know through my involvement with the game, there is no point in even trying. Pay attention to the diamond in the bottom right corner and you will see Ichiro could jog home by the time the CF even picks it up.

Get over yourselves people.. We are commenting on a video game, not debating about baseball 101
No offense, but you "debating" the topic was in response to a general observation made by someone. It wasn't an incorrect observation, yet many felt the need to call it nitpicking.

It did look a bit odd to see him toss it to the cutoff man. You may disagree that you should throw home, but based on your argument why should the AI even bother to throw it to the cutoff man?

I agree that some MLB players might hold on to the ball. I disagree, however, that it's the right thing to do fundamentally. That's a separate debate though. You bring up your coaching credentials in this matter, which have nothing to do with the fact that throwing to the cutoff man makes NO sense in that instance whether you believe the play was a wash or not.

If he ate the ball, it would have even looked better than throwing it in to the cutoff. No this isn't baseball 101 or a big deal, but nobody made a big deal about it until the 2K defense team showed up to say it's okay. It's a bit tiresome.

Some of you complain about nitpicking, when it's really just observation. The REAL nitpicking is jumping on every comment that doesn't praise the game and trying to justify it. Disagree then move on...it's pretty simple.

Yes it's a videogame, but it's a game that's supposed to be representative of baseball, so I'd imagine "baseball 101" would come into play at some point

# 68 DaveDQ @ 02/21/09 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

Yes it's a videogame, but it's a game that's supposed to be representative of baseball, so I'd imagine "baseball 101" would come into play at some point
How about Consideration and Respect 101? You make good points, and those who argue the Ichiro throw make valid points, but it is no longer debate when you hold on to your opinion just for the sake of not giving in.

That's what happens with these games when people let their egos rule their words. It's almost as if there's a check list of things some have and they are anticipating these games from missing one so they can let everyone know about it. I certainly hope you don't think that's debating.

# 69 SoxFan01605 @ 02/21/09 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
How about Consideration and Respect 101? You make good points, and those who argue the Ichiro throw make valid points, but it is no longer debate when you hold on to your opinion just for the sake of not giving in.

That's what happens with these games when people let their egos rule their words. It's almost as if there's a check list of things some have and they are anticipating these games from missing one so they can let everyone know about it. I certainly hope you don't think that's debating.
I agree, and I don't think that's debating (which was part of the point, and the reason the word was quoted). Not sure what you're referencing here (if anything specific at all), but that too goes both ways, right?

I think the "checklist" theory is a bit of a stretch, generally speaking. I think that's as much perception as anything. I'm sure there are those like that (seen enough in both forums), but that's not the majority IMO. The trouble is, because of those, everyone who's opinion diffrs is treated in the same regard.

Everyone feels strongly about certain aspects. So it stands to reason that if those aspects aren't up to snuff for them, they'll be more apt to point it out. If it's repeated over and over, uninstigated (that is a key point in this, BTW), then yes it's likely agenda based.

However, repeating a gripe in various threads where it appears prevalant, is no different than repeating praise, correct?

Meaning if for video A you notice the "real-time" looks fantastic, and praise it, and notice the same in Video B...praising it would just be outwardly confirming a previously made point and is generally accepted.

So why is this treated with negativity when criticism is involved?
Obviously, context is important here...but the point remains. It's the hypocracy of some posters (not saying you, just speaking on the general point) who cry "TROLL!" for each criticism, but then pile on the defense for said criticism that I'm speaking of here.

Sorry for the long post...lol...I've said before I'm admittedly long-winded and like to make sure my points are clarified (and even then I fail at it...lol).

sooo...lol,

The End

EDIT: Aslo, sorry for straying further from the topic with my own musings, rants, and observations...lol. Along with my long-windedness I'm also outspoken to a fault. So...back to your regularly scheduled video commentary...lol

# 70 DaveDQ @ 02/21/09 08:28 PM
Quote:
I agree, and I don't think that's debating (which was part of the point, and the reason the word was quoted). Not sure what you're referencing here (if anything specific at all), but that too goes both ways, right?

I think the "checklist" theory is a bit of a stretch, generally speaking. I think that's as much perception as anything. I'm sure there are those like that (seen enough in both forums), but that's not the majority IMO. The trouble is, because of those, everyone who's opinion diffrs is treated in the same regard.

Everyone feels strongly about certain aspects. So it stands to reason that if those aspects aren't up to snuff for them, they'll be more apt to point it out. If it's repeated over and over, uninstigated (that is a key point in this, BTW), then yes it's likely agenda based.

However, repeating a gripe in various threads where it appears prevalant, is no different than repeating praise, correct?

Meaning if for video A you notice the "real-time" looks fantastic, and praise it, and notice the same in Video B...praising it would just be outwardly confirming a previously made point and is generally accepted.

So why is this treated with negativity when criticism is involved?
Obviously, context is important here...but the point remains. It's the hypocracy of some posters (not saying you, just speaking on the general point) who cry "TROLL!" for each criticism, but then pile on the defense for said criticism that I'm speaking of here.

Sorry for the long post...lol...I've said before I'm admittedly long-winded and like to make sure my points are clarified (and even then I fail at it...lol).

sooo...lol,

The End

EDIT: Aslo, sorry for straying further from the topic with my own musings, rants, and observations...lol. Along with my long-windedness I'm also outspoken to a fault. So...back to your regularly scheduled video commentary...lol
I think it's hard for many who feel like the game is looking great. They want the feeling to be affirmed, so when someone brings out a negative, it sort of spoils the optimism.

There are many that lose their steam about a title simply because of the negativity. And sure, it goes both ways, but I think for this game, in light of the success of its competition, last year's rough outing and the anticipation of a new developer, there's a strong expectancy. That doesn't mean people shouldn't share negatives etc. I just think in this case it's heightened.

# 71 SoxFan01605 @ 02/21/09 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I think it's hard for many who feel like the game is looking great. They want the feeling to be affirmed, so when someone brings out a negative, it sort of spoils the optimism.

There are many that lose their steam about a title simply because of the negativity. And sure, it goes both ways, but I think for this game, in light of the success of its competition, last year's rough outing and the anticipation of a new developer, there's a strong expectancy. That doesn't mean people shouldn't share negatives etc. I just think in this case it's heightened.
I understand that sentiment. I think it's taking it too personal in that sense, but I do understand it. The trouble is it comes off as defensive, and it's hard to separate the fact from the hype when those people comment. That also goes both ways though, as someone who ONLY has negatives to attribute (or is vastly slanted that way), becomes a lost voice in that regard as well.

I've never attibuted anyones thoughts or feeling about a game to my own take on it. We all differ. While the general consensus was largely negative towards 2K8, for example, many still found (and still find, in some cases as well) enjoyment from it.

I like to engage people with differing viewpoints for various reasons (I like debate and I'm a curious sort..for a couple of examples, lol) but it never effects my own viewpoint of the game.

It may help me see something in a different light, but only in terms of perspective. Either I enjoy it or I don't. You're enjoyment/disappointment with it, shouldn't factor into my own.

I know some people are wired in that way, so to speak...but it's an odd way of thinking IMO. Again, not speaking of killjoys here, just speaking of your more basic critiques.

I'm sure some is also attributed to over-interpreting intent, which is a dangerous habit in written communication. Intent is often difficult to characterize in written communication and it's misinterpretation is often a jumping off point for many internet "battles" and the like. I've been guilty of it too at times...it's an easy thing to fall into, I suppose.

But again I stray...lol. It's an interesting discussion, but I don't want to further take from the topic that should be at hand with my bad habits.

# 72 tmac55 @ 02/21/09 08:58 PM
Quote:
No offense, but you "debating" the topic was in response to a general observation made by someone. It wasn't an incorrect observation, yet many felt the need to call it nitpicking.

It did look a bit odd to see him toss it to the cutoff man. You may disagree that you should throw home, but based on your argument why should the AI even bother to throw it to the cutoff man?

I agree that some MLB players might hold on to the ball. I disagree, however, that it's the right thing to do fundamentally. That's a separate debate though. You bring up your coaching credentials in this matter, which have nothing to do with the fact that throwing to the cutoff man makes NO sense in that instance whether you believe the play was a wash or not.

If he ate the ball, it would have even looked better than throwing it in to the cutoff. No this isn't baseball 101 or a big deal, but nobody made a big deal about it until the 2K defense team showed up to say it's okay. It's a bit tiresome.

Some of you complain about nitpicking, when it's really just observation. The REAL nitpicking is jumping on every comment that doesn't praise the game and trying to justify it. Disagree then move on...it's pretty simple.

Whatever, this is priceless and all because someone can't express their opinions and they jump on someone like little kids in a school yard with personal comments. No worries, I ger it some people will always never listen to both sides but that is not me. I tried to tell him to look at the vid again and he got personal. Mature people up in this thread.

Back to the video please like when I had originally commented. It's a logical play and it's impressive with the crowds. They were standing the whole 9th inning cheering.

# 73 Knight165 @ 02/21/09 09:06 PM
Quote:
So in other words, your rant was just as bad mine as you are calling me out? Thanks for the advice. Take it from the pros I guess.

Whatever, this is priceless and all because someone can't express their opinions and they jump on someone like little kids in a school yard with personal comments. No worries, I ger it some people will always never listen to both sides but that is not me. I tried to tell him to look at the vid again and he got personal. Mature people up in this thread.

Back to the video please like when I had originally commented. It's a logical play and it's impressive with the crowds. They were standing the whole 9th inning cheering.
Excuse me?
You call me a troll and I got personal? I in no way "got personal".
You can't take a little ribbing?(and I even stated in the thread that I was half kidding with my comments).
You're taking this way too seriously.
Chill. Please.

M.K.
Knight165

# 74 Mariners4411 @ 02/21/09 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
If Ichiro is on second base, and that ball gets hit up the middle, and assuming the CF is playing where he was in the context of the game, there is not a centerfielder in the game that throws that ball home. They scoop the ball up, and jog to the bench. In fact, let's say that the shortstop happened to be playing short centerfield and made a diving play on the ball. The game is over with Ichiro running off second base. Period. I love arguing baseball as much as the other guy, but there is not a centerfielder in the game that throws Ichiro out on that play. None. David Ortiz? Maybe. Ichiro? Not a chance in hell.
exactly

# 75 fiedler2k3 @ 02/21/09 10:28 PM
Everyone here is talking about the throw that SHOULD be made to home play anyways no matter how close was Ishiro to score but,

1 - What happens with the coaching on that inning? away team with the game tied and the bottom of the nine, man on second and one out, you HAVE to walk the guy (at the moment that Ishiro stole second base) with 1st base open there is NO WAY that you pitch any hitter, you walk the hitter then setup for the double play, even if you decided to pitch with one out witch is a terrible mistake, and you are lucky enought to get the second out, you walk the next hitter then look for the force out.
2- The CF should be playing short to avoid what happens at the end.
3- No celebration at all at the end of the game.
4- The coach decided to leave a right hander pitcher against a lefty???

I hate to bring the other game but I have seen soo many times the CPU play as mention above on The Show, but it seems that until 2K redone this baseball game from scratch they are not going to get it right. After seeing this video I completely removed this game from my GameQ on Gamefly....

# 76 SoxFan01605 @ 02/21/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedler2k3
Everyone here is talking about the throw that SHOULD be made to home play anyways no matter how close was Ishiro to score but,

1 - What happens with the coaching on that inning? away team with the game tied and the bottom of the nine, man on second and one out, you HAVE to walk the guy (at the moment that Ishiro stole second base) with 1st base open there is NO WAY that you pitch any hitter, you walk the hitter then setup for the double play, even if you decided to pitch with one out witch is a terrible mistake, and you are lucky enought to get the second out, you walk the next hitter then look for the force out.

I hate to bring the other game but I have seen soo many times the CPU play as mention above on The Show, but it seems that until 2K redone this baseball game from scratch they are not going to get it right. After seeing this video I completely removed this game from my GameQ on Gamefly....
You bring up some good points. I think the game ending as a whole was spotty, both gameplay wise and presentationally.

Some of that may be tweaked by the final, but I honestly believe that's going to be part of the sacrifice with the "real-time" (in terms of presentation aspects) in it's early stages. There will likely be many situational gaffes and inconsistencies, which may be why most games have not attempted it in this way. Innovative, to be sure, but some lumps will undoubtedly be taken here.

The gameplay scenarios are a different concern as it could mean for some cheap runs, outs, or whatver depending on the given situation. Not saying that's something exclusive to this game (it's not...every game has quirks in this regard) or that it will be the case when all is finalized. It's something to keep an eye on though.

On a bit of an aside, isn't the gamefly thing for rentals? Why drop it as a rental (especially since it's no extra cost in that way) and not at least try it? Just curious.

# 77 NumberOneRB @ 02/21/09 10:56 PM
Could we all just relax a little bit and wait for the retail version or SimBaller to clear some of the arguments some of you are having? All the bickering in this topic and a couple others is getting really annoying to have to read through all of it. Lets all just agree to disagree and respect one anothers opinions as just that...OPINIONS. We're not going to know the full extent of some of these issues until we get our hands on the retail copy.

# 78 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/21/09 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedler2k3

You do know there were 2 outs when the game winning hit happen don't you? hence why the CF was playing a little deeper than normal. As for walking the hitter with a base open to get the force not every manager will do that. The point about switching the pitcher for match-up reason is something that would've been nice to see

# 79 fiedler2k3 @ 02/22/09 08:37 AM
Quote:
You bring up some good points. I think the game ending as a whole was spotty, both gameplay wise and presentationally.

Some of that may be tweaked by the final, but I honestly believe that's going to be part of the sacrifice with the "real-time" (in terms of presentation aspects) in it's early stages. There will likely be many situational gaffes and inconsistencies, which may be why most games have not attempted it in this way. Innovative, to be sure, but some lumps will undoubtedly be taken here.

The gameplay scenarios are a different concern as it could mean for some cheap runs, outs, or whatver depending on the given situation. Not saying that's something exclusive to this game (it's not...every game has quirks in this regard) or that it will be the case when all is finalized. It's something to keep an eye on though.

On a bit of an aside, isn't the gamefly thing for rentals? Why drop it as a rental (especially since it's no extra cost in that way) and not at least try it? Just curious.
If you dont have Gamefly I strongly recommended, I buy all my games from there, while you pay 60 for new games, you just get the games as rent from then, then keep the game for 45.00, in other words you buy the game for $45.00! as soon as you pay the extra money, they send you the next game available on your Gameq.
I usually buy the Sports Games, then rent the other games, but honestly, dont want to offense but this game is going to be a waste of time as always, I remember the good 2K3 and 2K4, but since then has been always a problem, I can live with dughtout same animations (some time wrong) with no celebrations, or bad graphics, but a baseball video game has to play as "baseball" not walking the hitter when Ishiro stole second, not throwing home, not calling a lefty against the lefty (all of this is on The Show) is like shooting a 2 points shoot when you need 3 in a basketball game with 1.0 second left or kinking a FG when you need a TD on FB game.

# 80 fiedler2k3 @ 02/22/09 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
You do know there were 2 outs when the game winning hit happen don't you? hence why the CF was playing a little deeper than normal. As for walking the hitter with a base open to get the force not every manager will do that. The point about switching the pitcher for match-up reason is something that would've been nice to see
Yes, i know were 2 outs, because the manager took the risk on pitching with 1 out, man on second base, with the 1st base open, I would like to see when a manager in the Major let that happnes, is a no brain situation and it is on the book of EVERY manager, as well switching the pitcher, who was at the plate on the final play, who was next? I read every year you guys finding a way to justify the gameplay problems on this game (is the demo, is the betta, is a video) then crying later when the "final version" finally arrives.
MLB 2K and Madden are franchises that need to be redone from scratch. That's how MVP born, after several failures with the Triple Play franchise.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.