Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Here is another Major League Baseball 2K9 video. This one shows off some of the hit variety in the game, as well as a few defensive gems. Yes, the audio is a little off, as my software and encoding aren't playing nice for me.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/23/09 01:23 PM
Blzer, there's some type of progression going on. Watch the video again. You can see clouds moving from left to right between the 2 buildings beginning @ the 45 second mark of the video & during the rest of the video.

It just may be not as good as it was in 2k7. The developer's confirmed it was in during the 2k chat

Quote:
Q: Is there progressive lighting? "A: Yes, we have progressive lighting."
Quote:
Q:Is the dynamic lighting as great as it was in MLB2K7 or has there been sacrificies to help the overall engine run more smoothly?
A:" It's better than it was in last year's game, it's up to you to decide if it's as good as MLB2K7 or not."

# 42 slimcranky @ 02/23/09 01:34 PM
I'd love to find out if this was a cpu vs cpu game and what were the sliders used. Looking back at last 3 years , half of those hits would have been homeruns.

# 43 stealyerface @ 02/23/09 01:45 PM
Let me pose this question:

If the lighting progression was perfect, I mean, they captured the sun's position to the equator, and made the track of the sun as true as it is in real life, but the left-handed hitters couldn't hit a homerun because of a lefty-power glitch...

Would more of us be happy that the sun's rays are accurately portrayed with regards to their position in the heliocentric universe model (or one of us)

or... would more of us live with the fact that it was darker in inning 8 than it was in inning 6, but the gameplay finally found the target?

Not naming names of course.

syf

# 44 The Living Legend @ 02/23/09 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface

If the lighting progression was perfect, I mean, they captured the sun's position to the equator, and made the track of the sun as true as it is in real life, but the left-handed hitters couldn't hit a homerun because of a lefty-power glitch...

Would more of us be happy that the sun's rays are accurately portrayed with regards to their position in the heliocentric universe model (or one of us)

or... would more of us live with the fact that it was darker in inning 8 than it was in inning 6, but the gameplay finally found the target?

syf
usually i wouldnt respond to something like that but i laughed pretty hard.

Im going to go with sun positioning.

Alright joking aside... i feel the gameplay and the hits on that video were fantastic really were everything was believable i think the only thing that has me distracted is how good the computer throws i mean hope powerful the throws are.

# 45 PVarck31 @ 02/23/09 02:25 PM
I thought the hit variety in the video was fantastic. You got to see a little of everything. Being that it was the all-star game, I am a little surprised it wasn't a home run fest. IMO the only hit that was even questionable was Ichiro's second hit. Other than that, they all looked believable.

When I played baseball, I was a dead pull hitter. I could take a pitch low and outside and shoot it over the shortstops head. So seeing that happen in this game is not a stretch whatsoever. I know someone also mentioned Mauer's hits. If anyone can turn on a high inside pitch and keep it fair for a hit its Mauer. He is strong as an ox.

As far as the lighting goes. I really don't care lol.

# 46 Danny305miA @ 02/23/09 02:37 PM
Im so excited for this game to come out and after seeing this video it just makes it better. There are so many things to be pleased with, the hit variety, the day to night lighting, the players look good and overall the realistic value that VC has added to the game.

Also as a Marlins fan its nice to see Hanley dominate the beginning of the game. GO FISH!!!

# 47 jeffy777 @ 02/23/09 02:39 PM
Hit variety looked good. I loved the play at the plate where the catcher got bowled over. Nice collision there.

# 48 Mercury112491 @ 02/23/09 02:48 PM
Ok as far as Mauers hits are concerned. Since we all seem to be into trying to stop the video at the frame right before contact, look at where the ball is on the hit he jacks down the line for a double. Its not under his chin like some people seem to think. The ball is letter high and on the inside half of the plate, not the inside corner, that ball caught a good chunk of plate. Letter high on the inside half to a good hitter gets crushed.

Now that weird Ichiro hit. I'll admit if you stop the camera it looks like he should shoot it to left field. But if you watch the full animation, you know the way your supposed to, he does reach out and try and pull it. Yes it looks a little jerky and its not perfect but this is a video game, errors occur from time to time. Outside of the animation the result is dead on. If you try and pull and high and away pitch your gonna hit a weak liner to second base which he did.

anything else anyone wants to nitpick on?

# 49 stealyerface @ 02/23/09 02:55 PM
Well, in the Northern Hemisphere, the sun should have a certain reflective quality off the buildings in the distance. Due to the curve of the earth, and the temperature at gametime, that third floor window frame should have a distorted angle on the 90 degree corner of the top right of the glass. Once again, 2k just doesn;t understand the principles of the difference between relection and refraction.... oh well *sigh* maybe next year...

syf

# 50 Heelfan71 @ 02/23/09 03:05 PM
god I hate the bat sound.........always have. Sounds like a wiffle ball bat when they make contact.

# 51 SwinginAs12 @ 02/23/09 03:10 PM
what kind of wiffle ball bat do you use?

# 52 Blzer @ 02/23/09 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface

I just wanted to throw it out there that Kush found the exact time of day positions and orientations for every stadium in the month of July, so I'm just saying that it's a plausible feat (and cool).

I don't think you guys are seeing the glaring issue here. You are going to be playing over 50 day games in a season, and all of them will instantly jump to night by the end of the game. I'm more surprised that this isn't alarming to anybody than I am that it is like this in the game, though I'm betting on it being because it was in beta stage.

Quote:

syf
I think we need to focus on something here: this game doesn't have a lefty glitch, and I never said that this is priority #1 (or that it needs to be fixed before something else). And this goes back to the argument that these departments are completely independent of each other when developing the game, so it's not a "this or that" kind of question here.

There is no reason for me to comment about negatives in a game other than to throw it out to the developers what "flaws" they have in their game. They can't fix something if they don't know it's broken.

And if we were to make an analogous comparison with a physics engine gameplay flaw, I have done that for the past couple of days with the Markakis home run. I'm probably more disappointed in that, because I feel that will still be in the retail version while I think the time of day thing will be fixed. I just think that it's rather odd that people are accepting their day games turning to night in the matter of an inning... or turning to night at all.

# 53 stealyerface @ 02/23/09 03:37 PM
Blzer, you and I have been debating games since 2004 when we joined OS. I am glad you take my ribbing in the manner in which it was intended, and do not take it personally as some folks in here ssem to think they ought to.

I know you have been championing the time/daylight/ etc... forever. I guess if the game starts at 4pm, then it is relevant and okay with me to be adjusting to the daylight accordingly as nightfall approaches. As well as I agree with you that a 1pm start should not end up with a 9th inning under the lights 8 hours later with a 9pm summer sky.

That being said, there are bigger fish to fry yet with regards to 2k and their completion of the 2k baseball franchise. There are so many other things to worry about, but yet, I appreciate your dogged determination on this particular aspect.

Here's hoping that the retail version irons it out, and you can rest easy next Tuesday night...

syf

# 54 Blzer @ 02/23/09 04:00 PM
That's true that there are bigger things, and I would probably be the first to point them out if they haven't been said already. But let's consider what have been pointed out so far in a negative light:

- Player faces
- Awkward transitional animations
- Unsuitable crowd atmosphere for the ideal situation
- Ball/fielder/runner speeds over-exaggerated
- Flawed hitting physics engine
- AI swinging at all strikes
- Interesting time of day progression
- Choppy framerate?
- Blimp fielding camera
- Poor player ratings
- Large ball cursor for pitching (combined with perhaps being too easy to throw strikes)
- Bat sounds
- Situational throwing animations out of place
- Questionable AI logic for specific game situations (including managerial)
- "Cheatability" of quick-throw option
- Collision detection for both players and home runs
- Simulation engine (for statistics and standings)
- "Flat" jerseys
- Outdated player profile photos
- Missing sliders from past iterations
- Organ music
- Somewhat rough first attempt at real-time implementation

So again, the more that we address, the more that they can see what they should do for next year. Once they get these out of the way, we'll have a better game on our hands in general, and I think that's what most people want.

And I actually wanted to quickly turn your attention to this thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ball-game.html

Here was my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't really know what the first thing is that I look for, but I'll tell you one thing, and it's that I unfortunately won't give the gameplay a chance if it lacks authenticity. And I don't even mean the beauty of the game... I just mean that they're nailing the MLB aspect of the game correctly. Player looks and stances, stadium features, television-like broadcast and announcing, etc. I don't know why, but I really love to play a game where I'm immersed in its authentic feel.
This is just how I am when it comes to playing games. I'm all about loving the feel of playing what I see on TV. That means I like to turn off as much as possible, especially when it comes to visual aids. So when I see my day games turning off the light, that falls under my "poor authenticity" checklist. Obviously everybody has different needs and wants, so you can't fault me for wondering why they're overdoing this.

# 55 Heelfan71 @ 02/23/09 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginAs12
what kind of wiffle ball bat do you use?
plastic why? trying to say the bat sounds realistic ?

# 56 StatMan79 @ 02/23/09 04:42 PM
So we've progressed from:

There's no lighting progression! GAME KILLER!

To...

It's not good enough - jeez 2K, look out a window! GAME KILLER!

Reading some of these arguments is a stellar social experiment gone wrong. All I need to know about this game, given how nice it looks and how there seems to be some good effects for making the parks look even better and all that, is whether or not this game is going to make me want to throw my controller out the window because it plays like crap. Everything I've seen in these videos makes me believe that all will be well and for the first time in a long time, I'll have a baseball game that I will enjoy playing.

If the rug gets pulled out from under me the way it did with 2K8, so be it and 2K won't get my business again. The nitpicking here is at a hysterical level especially considering there's only one guy around here that's actually played it.

# 57 Artman22 @ 02/23/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...I see it, but it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers you (though to be fair, it would be hard for any of us to be as bothered by it as you are...lol)
In all honesty the game could be made by Jesus himself and he would still complain about somthing

# 58 SoxFan01605 @ 02/23/09 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatMan79
So we've progressed from:

There's no lighting progression! GAME KILLER!

To...

It's not good enough - jeez 2K, look out a window! GAME KILLER!

Reading some of these arguments is a stellar social experiment gone wrong. All I need to know about this game, given how nice it looks and how there seems to be some good effects for making the parks look even better and all that, is whether or not this game is going to make me want to throw my controller out the window because it plays like crap. Everything I've seen in these videos makes me believe that all will be well and for the first time in a long time, I'll have a baseball game that I will enjoy playing.

If the rug gets pulled out from under me the way it did with 2K8, so be it and 2K won't get my business again. The nitpicking here is at a hysterical level especially considering there's only one guy around here that's actually played it.
Out of curiousity, how evenly is your "nitpicking theory" spread? Meaning, those who point out little things they like are really no more qualified in their assessments than those who point out what they don't, correct?

Oddly enough, the term "nitpick" is as overused as the term "gamekiller"...lol. A nitpick is a petty gripe, or one on a detail that bares no significance (This is the Soxfan unabbridged version, lol...Webster's might have a different wording). Most of the gripes wouldn't fall into that category. Then again, maybe I'm "nitpicking" terms.

In any case, just curious as to how you determine who's view are warrented on this game? I mean, I was under the presumption that the videos were posted for our consumption and discussion.

# 59 SoxFan01605 @ 02/23/09 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
In all honesty the game could be made by Jesus himself and he would still complain about somthing
Maybe he's not Christian...lol.

Jokes aside, I don't have a problem with what Blzer posts at all. He at least does his best to support his claims and he's mostly quite constructive. Plus, from what I've seen, he's made it clear that he understands that some of this stuff bugs him more than others.

So, it's all good on my end

# 60 SwinginAs12 @ 02/23/09 04:58 PM
no im saying plastic bats do not make that noise. It sounds like a really intense crazy thunder boom during a terrential downpour. But however you think it sounds. It aint realistic!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.