Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the new Madden NFL 10 blog, which talks about improvements to the QB position.

Quote:
"I'm back again folks, bringing you some more additions and improvements that you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10. This week, I'm going to focus primarily on the QB position and show some of the improvements we've made for this year. First off, I'm going to talk about a new animation technology that we can call "layered blending".

Layered Blending
"Layered blending? I thought you were going to talk about quarterbacks?" You'll see shortly how this works for QB's. First, a quick lesson on what blending is. Anytime a player transitions from one animation to another, he will use a 'blend' of his previous animation into the next animation. When you don't have a nice smooth blend, you'll get poppy / hitching animations. If you make blends that are too long, you can easily not have the correct amount of control over your player (he can feel very 'sluggish' or unresponsive). The most common types of blends are linear, ease in, and ease out. Those just refer to how many frames of either the previous or current animation you use while blending. For Madden NFL 10 though, we've added something new - the ability to actually separate the blends out between different parts of the body. We call this layered blending because it allows us to create different layered animation by blending one part of the body out quicker or slower based on the needs of the game. So how does it relate to QB's? Well, how often has this happened to you?"

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 bowdown2shadi @ 02/23/09 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I LOVE THIS GUY!!!

Man, this is great news though Ian. Im excited for Madden '10! All we need is updated OL/DL play, and WR/CB play and we got ourselves one of the best football games up to date.

# 102 Anti Honor @ 02/24/09 12:40 AM
Looking good so far.

I love the new ratings.

# 103 oChaos_Nine @ 02/24/09 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Who? When?
2k5 and 2k8 you could get rid of the ball while getting hit. Most of the time the ball would hit the dirt 5 feet in front of you because of the hit moving the arm forward faster, but still.

If you're asking about who the competition is then I'm not sure how to answer because there is none.

To Ian: Like the addition of new ratings to the QB, I just ask that you de-clutter the ratings. I don't care to see how well my QB can pass block and his kicking power. Let us only see what really matters so we don't have to scroll past 20 different ratings to find what we want.

# 104 nxtbardi @ 02/24/09 01:07 AM
Ian - On the play-actions, are the defensive players still going to get "sucked" into the RB??

There would be plenty of times I know its a play action and want to get directly to the QB but I somehow get sucked into tackling the RB instead. Is this fixed by what you said in your blog, or a different issue?

I know this off the topic but just saw it from the pictures you posted. Are you changing the way they run this year? Because they ran in like baby steps in 09. In the photo you posted with Peyton Manning and Giants defender(tuck?), Tuck is running with his back STRAIGHT up. Idk just looks funny to me.

# 105 Exonerated @ 02/24/09 01:16 AM
Manning 99 , 99 ,99 , 99.

This will be great for oline dline suction blocking if its implemented there.

# 106 ehh @ 02/24/09 01:19 AM
Quote:
1. Deep Ball Accuracy: Determines the accuracy on deep passes (streaks, deep posts, etc)
2. Medium Passing Accuracy: Determines the accuracy on medium passes (outs, corners, etc)
3. Short Passing Accuracy: Determines the accuracy on short passes (quick smash, flats, etc)
4. Throw on the Run: Creates a modifier to accuracy when the QB is throwing on the run. Every QB will take some sort of accuracy hit when throwing on the run, but a QB that has a high rating here will take a smaller hit.
5. Play Action: Determines the 'effectiveness' of Play Action for a QB, i.e. how often they can fake out or freeze the defense (which is obviously weighted against the defenders Play Recognition ratings)
Wow, it's amazing to see some things we've long asked for on OS finally be put in the game. I may have picked the wrong year to swear I'd never buy Madden again.

# 107 eaglesfan27 @ 02/24/09 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersa7x
Funny.... This is the best news I've read about madden in a long time, and its not a new "big feature." Its just a great improvement to gameplay.

Keep up the great news and good work!
Big plus 1. This blog has me more excited for Madden than I have been in years!

# 108 nxtbardi @ 02/24/09 01:43 AM
Brett Favre
1. Deep Ball Accuracy: 0
2. Medium Passing Accuracy: 72
3. Short Passing Accuracy: 95
4. Throw on the Run: -25
5. Play Action: 45

Sincerely, po'd Jets fan

# 109 cedwebb @ 02/24/09 01:44 AM
CHaaaMMPPiiionnCHiiiP !

# 110 Phobia @ 02/24/09 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Wow, it's amazing to see some things we've long asked for on OS finally be put in the game. I may have picked the wrong year to swear I'd never buy Madden again.
Glad I did not buy last years. It was like all the rest since 05. This year is starting to sound like what we want. I am getting madden this year for sure. No easy tasked, I have not bought madden since 05, but Ian has hooked me. Here is my 60 bucks

# 111 KingCashus @ 02/24/09 04:59 AM
Things are really starting to look up for the future of Madden. Layered Blending + Procedural Awareness + future announcements = players reacting like real humans.

I want to see effort from my Defensive player to bring down a runner like Adrian Peterson, for example. If he doesn't give 100 percent and just tries to arm tackle instead of lowering the shoulder and holding on for dear life after he makes contact, then it's going to result in a big gain. Better keep your head on a swivel to see and avoid blockers, and slow down a little bit, or else you will get "'crackbacked''... Etc.

But back to the QB improvement: Great job on the expanded passing ratings being implemented. Keep it up guys.

# 112 Xipie @ 02/24/09 05:36 AM
I posted this in the QB ratings thread but I think it's better to post here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xipie
I'm very happy with this news
I'm not going to rate QB's because lot of people already did..
IMO a lot are way to high.. I like how AlexBrady rated the players though..

I'm just wondering how this will work..
Let's say Flacco has THP 96 and DPA 90..so the deep ball is his weapon.. how will this translate in the difficulty to pull deep passes off? Will it be easy for him to pass for 300+ a game by throwing 6 long bombs?
Does the defensive AI adjust to the QB's strenghts?

Another thing about the ratings..

1. Deep Ball Accuracy: Determines the accuracy on deep passes (streaks, deep posts, etc)
2. Medium Passing Accuracy: Determines the accuracy on medium passes (outs, corners, etc)
3. Short Passing Accuracy: Determines the accuracy on short passes (quick smash, flats, etc)

The wide recievers... maybe a little too much and maybe this is also adressed by overall route running but wouldn't it be an idea to also implement these ratings to recievers..
1. Deep Ball Routes
2. Medium Passing Routes
3. Short Passing Routes

So yeah just thought about it could be a nice addition

# 113 scott209 @ 02/24/09 06:12 AM
This is great Maddden is gonna be so great. I am so happy. You guys got my 60 bucks

# 114 feeq14 @ 02/24/09 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Just curious...How would you translate leadership to gameplay mechanics? How would that be implemented? Sounds interesting nonetheless.
I feel like they could add QB ratings like leadership, consistency, and maybe a clutch/heart rating. In fact these could be universal ratings for other players.

I think it could be allot like the "player roles" feature from last gen's madden 06. In that game they had roles like Team Captian, and Franchise QB, etc. These players would make every player on thier side of the ball get a ratings boost in the 4th quarter, and on 3rd downs. They also made younger players develop faster and made it less likely for players to cause problems on the team.

So players with High leadership would make other players play better on their side of the ball, especially in clutch situations/make players develop faster in franchise mode.

Consistency- This could affect the algorithms that Ian spoke of earlier. High consistency means your QB or WR/DE always plays up too their ability, players with poor consistency will have bad games for no reason, WRs will get shut down. DE's will take plays off and have games where it seems like they get no pressure. I think this could work great with the new ratings philosophy to really seperate John Abraham from Adewale Ogunleye. Ogun is a great pass rusher, but he doesnt bring the pressure every down, he gets in in spurts. John Abraham is a true playmaker.

Clutch/Heart could be another modifier for leadership. I guess it would do the same thing so maybe it isnt as important...

But we all know that there is allot more to a QB than his arm. Jeff George had an elite NFL arm and bounce around the league because his attitude and persona didnt make hime an ideal NFL QB.

Who knows maybe this stuff is next year, but I hope they squeeze it in somehow.

# 115 cowboy_kmoney @ 02/24/09 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sim God
not to be a "debbie downer" but im still a little skeptical.

everything Ian has said or shown us has been a GREAT IMPROVEMENT on madden.
but im still not convinced.

the game is so far from being an nfl sim that much more work has to be done.

i hope qb's have different animations. runners run like they do in real life.....not all the same.
wrs look/play like they do
nose tackles in a 3-4 DO draw double team attention, not just a center block a 350lb NT every play.

wr/cb interaction

what about qbs who hike and dart out of the pocket? the new "throwing on the run rating" sounds good but when people hike & dart the qb to the sidelines they DO NOT throw on the run. they set up the qb outside of the pocket and plant their feet. this "new rating" wont stop those cheesers. maybe making the DE break off his block, like real life as the tackle only guards inside to a qb standing in the pocket, would help.

bring back the MAN COVERAGE option on zones where my man will follow the wr across the field and the rest of the zones adjust(madden 06 reg xbox)

i want fades to work. i want plax to be able to jump OVER a cb in the corber of the endzone using his 6'5" height

theres a lot of things that need to be improved.
ian & co are taking the proper steps towards making the game a SIM game and making the cheesers adjust to sim, but a lot more work has to be done.

that fat slob, david ortiz, messed up the entire madden game for quite sometime and its a daunting task and im SURE Ian & co can fix it.....but i dont know about fixing it in time for madden 2010.
From this news and the things we now know that will be in the game tells us Sim that Ian and CO.are like our new Pres.They will fix things that that our old Pres,mess up and and put us back on top.I feel good about the steps these guys are taking us in.Because in this short time Ian has been in charge he's came along way with this game and its features.So stay on the team and keep letting things take its form,And all will be fixed to form a great game.I sure that he knows the running still looks robotic and will try to get it right they are still tweaking the game right now and still putting it togather.

# 116 callmetaternuts @ 02/24/09 08:49 AM
This seems like great news! Now QB's will be differentiated based ont heir strengths and weaknesses at all levels, not just arm power and total accuracy. It does spring up a few questions (some with ratings, some with the blending)

1) Will there be those plays where a QB gets hit as he is throwing and the ball just shoots out to no one, or straight in the air?

2) Will different QB's have a higher fumble rate when they get hit while their arm is moving? (Big Ben can take a beating and not fumble, but Warner ala 2001-2007 cant hold on to anything)

3) WIll this spring any "tuck rule" decisions? That could be an issue when challenging (dont know if the tuck rule or how to correctly call it is in the game, or the whole "arm moving forward" portion)

4) Will the WR adjust to badly thrown passes without seeing it? Seems accuracy didnt matter too much because the WR could always adjust, no matter if the pass was thrown on time but badly placed, or before the route was over (certain people call a deep out, but throw it before the break which makes it more of a curl or streak, no way the WR would know to cut off his route)

Other areas to use the blending = blocking, tackle animations obviously, WR/DB match up

# 117 blvdboi22 @ 02/24/09 09:12 AM
What about the different throws in football? Madden 09 got 2 throws the deep lob and the low bullet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wq4V7YSpbM

This what madden and ncaa needs to go back for the new ob improvements to work

And i hope you guys work on the Wideout to cuz the qb improvements wont work if you dont i am sorry

# 118 RGiles36 @ 02/24/09 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
4) Will the WR adjust to badly thrown passes without seeing it? Seems accuracy didnt matter too much because the WR could always adjust, no matter if the pass was thrown on time but badly placed, or before the route was over (certain people call a deep out, but throw it before the break which makes it more of a curl or streak, no way the WR would know to cut off his route)
Boy I hope this is addressed. Maybe this is a place where procedural awareness steps in? If the DB can't make plays on a ball that they can't see, then WRs should not either.

# 119 BezO @ 02/24/09 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xipie
The wide recievers... maybe a little too much and maybe this is also adressed by overall route running but wouldn't it be an idea to also implement these ratings to recievers..
1. Deep Ball Routes
2. Medium Passing Routes
3. Short Passing Routes
4. Adjustment to Pass

Complimentary WR ratings are definitely in order.

# 120 dannydufflebags @ 02/24/09 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

I think this addresses an issue with one of Madden's issues, and I think most will agree. Be patient my friend, we will get more good news.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.