Home
News Post

The MLB 09 The Show team has just sent us this exclusive video clip. It showcases a sacrifice fly with Ichiro attempting to gun down Granderson at the plate.

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 nemesis04 @ 02/25/09 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Again, there's nothing we haven't seen here except for the way that it was beautifully captured in the slo-mo cinematic sequence.
I think it is a little bit more then a runner freight train' his way down the line. I think it also shows some attention to detail of how the AI players on the field are reacting to the play. For example, players watching the ball, getting into position to make a possible play etc. I think that is a great detail that many who play this game take for granted because it is done very well and very rarely there is a gaff where the fielder is in no mans land.

On another note, those were the types of camera angles that I had mentioned in another thread that are there but we do not see them in the finished product. I would like to see them available in future versions to enhance presentation.

# 82 Knight165 @ 02/25/09 09:59 AM
Quote:
baa, I think we're confusing two different things here. I've already watched the video maybe several times (thus making it "worthwhile" IMO). Everything about it is remarkable (especially the way the music builds everything up). I'm just saying that I wouldn't go into the demo impressions thread and say, "Goodness, I just witnessed a sacrifice fly attempt unfold in front of my eyes... the runner rammed the catcher and everything!" I think the combination of the scenario plus the Best Picture Oscar nomination, though, leads to a wonderful video (and like I said, an even better promo). It just feels like people are marveling over things that have been in games for a long time is all.

Blzr...

I predict you are going to be a very unhappy...overly grumpy man.....not even when you get old.....starting very soon.....IF you continue to over analyze everything.
When the dog and the lion snuggle together....out of 100 people...99 are going to say.."how cute" or "that's awesome!"...then there will be 1...YOU...who says...no man..that's all wrong because 999 times out of 1000 that lion would simply maul that dog to death. When are they gonna get that right!"
Here's a little advice....from a man who's seen more than his share of $hit that shouldn't happen...
Take it for what you will get out of it....I'm not trying to be dad to you here....it's more selfish than that....I'm trying to "lighten up these boards" a little(although...I can take it either way!)
.....Appreciate things for what they are...NOT what they SHOULD be.
You're welcome(I just saved you from a stroke in 20 years if you heed my advice! )

M.K.
Knight165

# 83 CMH @ 02/25/09 10:00 AM
Some of you guys are too uptight.

It was a trailer and it did what a trailer was supposed to do - make a mundane situation seem more dramatic.

Downplaying the production value of the trailer because you wanted to see gameplay videos is backwards. No one is trying to compare a trailer to a gameplay video. But, a trailer does get people excited about the product, so this is what you call advertising.

By the way, I went back and this is not directed to Blzer. I didn't even read his posts before posting the above.

# 84 Motown @ 02/25/09 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Blzr...

I predict you are going to be a very unhappy...overly grumpy man.....not even when you get old.....starting very soon.....IF you continue to over analyze everything.
When the dog and the lion snuggle together....out of 100 people...99 are going to say.."how cute" or "that's awesome!"...then there will be 1...YOU...who says...no man..that's all wrong because 999 times out of 1000 that lion would simply maul that dog to death. When are they gonna get that right!"
Here's a little advice....from a man who's seen more than his share of $hit that shouldn't happen...
Take it for what you will get out of it....I'm not trying to be dad to you here....it's more selfish than that....I'm trying to "lighten up these boards" a little(although...I can take it either way!)
You're welcome(I just saved you from a stroke in 20 years if you heed my advice! )

M.K.
Knight165

"Message paid for by OS & The OS Council"

# 85 Pared @ 02/25/09 10:09 AM
Don't look at the ball Granderson!!!! RUN!

# 86 CMH @ 02/25/09 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Don't look at the ball Granderson!!!! RUN!
I had mixed feelings during this.

The first part of me said, "Why the heck are you looking at the ball? You know it's coming. Just run!"

Then the second part of me said, "That's so cool that his eyes and head continue to track the ball."

# 87 NAFBUC @ 02/25/09 10:16 AM
Thanks Steve and SCEA. Great video with suspense. Close up of the players and ball were FANtastic.

# 88 brunnoce @ 02/25/09 10:19 AM
Quote:
Blzr...

M.K.
Knight165
DITTO!

# 89 Pared @ 02/25/09 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
I had mixed feelings during this.

The first part of me said, "Why the heck are you looking at the ball? You know it's coming. Just run!"

Then the second part of me said, "That's so cool that his eyes and head continue to track the ball."
I'll admit it's cool but damn it, you put your head down and you run home! What the hell are you waiting for, an invitation?!

Give me some sprints, Granderson!

# 90 CMH @ 02/25/09 10:24 AM
Nitpick time since this is a staple of OS.

Did the ball bounce once on it's way to the catcher? I'm pretty sure Ichiro doesn't have that strong of an arm. But, I'm sure it bounced because after he throws the ball, it has backspin, which is appropriate.

On the third cut to the ball, it has forward spin just as the catcher grabs it. The only way that could happen is if the ball bounces on the dirt.

The video didn't show this so I'm going to nitpick because it's the fun thing to do.

# 91 Blzer @ 02/25/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
Blzr...
I feel like I'm really lost this time, what's going on? I just said that I'm not seeing the hooplah over a play at the plate.

As for your comments, you simply don't know me. My analysis of video games (and wanting them to be the best possible) do not reflect my social personality.

# 92 amarejay @ 02/25/09 10:43 AM
Ah! I can't wait to play this masterpiece.

# 93 Woodweaver @ 02/25/09 10:47 AM
Quote:
I feel like I'm really lost this time, what's going on? I just said that I'm not seeing the hooplah over a play at the plate.

As for your comments, you simply don't know me. My analysis of video games (and wanting them to be the best possible) do not reflect my social personality.
Don't get me wrong, I think you make many good points on these forums, but...

I think this is just a matter of you missing the point of the video in the first place. It's not meant to show people something new in the game. It's meant to excite people about baseball and the fact that the Show has captured the drama of the game. This is the marketing tact it is taking, and its sole purpose.

You're not supposed to look at the trailer for that latest action flick and say, "Man, I've seen shoot outs and car chases before. What's the big deal?" You're supposed to think, "Did you see the car chase and shoot out in that trailer!!!!! This is going to be an awesome movie!"

So, there is no point in complaining that something doesn't do one thing when it is so specifically and obviously meant to do another.

# 94 LetsGoPitt @ 02/25/09 11:10 AM
The video looks really good, but I had to snicker at the presentation. The slow-mo + corny music reminded me of one too many inspirational sports movies.

# 95 Yanks22 @ 02/25/09 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPitt
The video looks really good, but I had to snicker at the presentation. The slow-mo + corny music reminded me of one too many inspirational sports movies.
i thought the "corny" presentation. you wanna know whats a corny presentation. 2k9 ohhhhhhhhh

# 96 dave_sz @ 02/25/09 11:27 AM
Quote:
Nitpick time since this is a staple of OS.

Did the ball bounce once on it's way to the catcher? I'm pretty sure Ichiro doesn't have that strong of an arm. But, I'm sure it bounced because after he throws the ball, it has backspin, which is appropriate.

On the third cut to the ball, it has forward spin just as the catcher grabs it. The only way that could happen is if the ball bounces on the dirt.

The video didn't show this so I'm going to nitpick because it's the fun thing to do.
Everyone knows Ichiro has a cannon, and an accurate one at that...

# 97 dave_sz @ 02/25/09 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks22
i thought the "corny" presentation. you wanna know whats a corny presentation. 2k9 ohhhhhhhhh
fanboy...............

# 98 Yanks22 @ 02/25/09 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_sz
fanboy...............
yeah yeahhhbut you're right i dunno what that guy is talking about ichirio has a canon

# 99 Azamien @ 02/25/09 12:10 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Ichiro doesn't have that strong of an arm.

# 100 CMH @ 02/25/09 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_sz
Everyone knows Ichiro has a cannon, and an accurate one at that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
It was a joke.

My point is that if Ichiro did indeed throw that ball on the fly to the catcher then the ball should not have had any forward spin at any point. Yet, it does in the last close up shot of the ball heading to the catcher. For the ball to have forward spin it needs to have bounced on the dirt and the video didn't show the ball bouncing on the dirt.

So, nitpick!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.