Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers camera flashes, field goal nets, Windsocks and swappable bowl endzones.

Quote:
"One small detail we added this year is camera flashes going off in the stands. The bigger the game, the more flashes will be going off. This will help give the bigger games that “big game” feel. We were able to borrow this from Madden NFL and are tuning the intensity of these now.

Field goal nets have been missing for too long, so we were sure to bring these to the current gen consoles this year. Nothing too exciting, but it brings a little more realism to the game. Another small detail you’ll notice are the wind socks on top of the goal posts. Want to add a challenge to the kicking game? Don’t look at the meter for the wind factor and use the socks instead."

NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 TheWatcher @ 02/27/09 08:50 AM
I think the addition of the camera flashes, field goal nets, Windsocks and swappable bowl endzones is all great. But what's with the big EA logo on the net? My problem with EA Football games right now is that you're overselling your name and logo to the point of annoyance. It's just not necessary. We all know who made the game!

Also, I have to be honest... after seeing the first release photo I was impressed, but now seeing these couple new ones it's a letdown.

In this shot, the grass still lacks strong color tone and the overall picture still has a washed-out look:

This photo shows that ugly haze that also plagued Madden 09:

Effects for indoor are still overdone, it looks like there is some kind of smoke-fog that's lingering from a big bomb explosion and the grass still lacks proper tone:

Starting with the 09 games (both Madden and NCAA), the images are lacking realistic clarity. Color tones are off (for example, see Notre Dame in NCAA 09 and notice that the helmets lack that strong GOLD and shine... it's really bad), lighting lacks strength (something the 07 games excelled in). The crowd in the distance has a weird haze where instead you should be using blur effect like it was masterfully done with NCAA 07 for 360 just for the fact that it looks more broadcast but also to mask the fact that the crowd image has been taken down to aid in reaching/maintaining 60 frames.

Check out what was done with NCAA 07 in this regard:

Look at the lighting intensity and picture clarity in these NCAA 07 images (This is from Brian Moore's site):

The tone and temperature of the lighting is just not on point like it was with the 07 games and it doesn't hit the players right at all.

With only just a little over 2 months to go until shop is closed up on NCAA 2010, I doubt much can done about it. The two new stadium shots don't look any different than last year's game, and if they are recent shots from a recent build, then that makes me even more disappointed. It just looks like the same thing from last year, unless we get shots during the game like the first closeup one shown with Cal Vs. Stanford, but I know we've been shown those kinds of shots the past two years and the actual game never shows us these during auto-replays.

# 82 thejake @ 02/27/09 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
I think some people are disappointed because Madden announced something big and NCAA announced a small (yet very welcomed) feature; OMT just can't win. Still it's not even March yet, if it were early June when this was announced then the anger would be understandable.

Something of interest to me:

Fortunately, our brilliant graphics engineers created what is called the Texture Compositor. This was originally developed for handling created stadiums and uniforms for Madden. It allows the game to take multiple pieces of art and combine them into one as the game loads.

Out of mild curiosity, if stadiums are now broken into pieces, does that mean we will be able to... I dunno... mix and match those pieces... for... I dunno... maybe created schools? Just wondering.
Maybe we'll be able to mix and match uniforms, independently selecting jerseys and pants?

# 83 SageInfinite @ 02/27/09 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Though that it is indeed a work in progress, it could still be a tad bit alarming. I only say that b/c that's how the scenario played out last year in Madden: a few screens debuted minus refs, I then asked Phil, and he confirmed that there were indeed no referrees.

Not to say that applies here, but I just wanted to point it out.
My thought exactly. Unless the gameplay and atmosphere is just incredible this year, I can't purchase another game where they feel the refs aren't important enough to add. It's inexcusable IMO.

# 84 AJTev21 @ 02/27/09 11:09 AM
OMT, I know you can't talk specifics but I loved online dynasty(as I know almost everyone else did) and I was wondering if you can just confirm it will coming back and if so, will it be relatively the same or is it overhauled. I thought it was damn near perfect save a couple of glitches. I understand you may not be able to comment on it but any kind of non specific info would be great.

# 85 OMT @ 02/27/09 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLEGENDsince87
OMT, any chance we will be ale to change sock color to white when editing players??? im a Buckeye fan and sometimes we wear high whites or "tights" for cold away games N I think it would be nice if I could see that in th game
No. Sock color is a team setting, so you we can't change it on a player by player basis.

# 86 OMT @ 02/27/09 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJTev21
OMT, I know you can't talk specifics but I loved online dynasty(as I know almost everyone else did) and I was wondering if you can just confirm it will coming back and if so, will it be relatively the same or is it overhauled. I thought it was damn near perfect save a couple of glitches. I understand you may not be able to comment on it but any kind of non specific info would be great.
Its back and we've fixed some stuff. There's also a new component that I'll be talking about at a later date.

# 87 SageInfinite @ 02/27/09 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
No. Sock color is a team setting, so you we can't change it on a player by player basis.
Is there anyway the team settings could be opened to edit something like that?

# 88 TheWatcher @ 02/27/09 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
My thought exactly. Unless the gameplay and atmosphere is just incredible this year, I can't purchase another game where they feel the refs aren't important enough to add. It's inexcusable IMO.
I wish I could be more optimistic myself, but this thought still comes to mind: Phil once said on the EA boards that it was too tough to get refs in the game at 30 frames because of AI conflicts. So how then would they be able to do it now at double the speed? It's not as if it's easier now at 60, lol.

These last two photos are definitely a cause for concern realizing that March hits on Sunday and the game closes up in late May. Not just the ref thing, but the fact that the photos are totally unimpressive and pretty much the same as last year. Sure progressive lighting will help if it's actually in this year, but the images just aren't clean like they were in the first year of this series on 360. I just don't understand why the lighting is so off and why the colors are so lifeless now. This is the 3rd version of NCAA at 60 frames now, I would've thought by now the lighting would be back on par with where the 07 release took it, but it's just not going anywhere if the photos are any indication.

The only hope is that the photos are from an early build a while back, but if those are photos from a recent build then that's not good.

# 89 Allaboutme @ 02/27/09 11:32 AM
Quote:
IMO thats a bit extreme, how is seeing refs going to kill the game for you seriously, next thing we'll complain of is refs throwing flags for stuff that they did not see, because in game there back was turned. if they add it they add it if they dont they dont.

Improve the AI vs PA plays if they do that ill be happy.

# 90 jdrhammer @ 02/27/09 11:48 AM
Everyone has their wants and needs but ref's has never been one of mine. We get them when they announce the penalty but I don't mind not seeing them on the field. It would be nice to see the chain-gangs on the sidelines but I guess if you had those you'd need the ones on the field too. I'd like coaches and actually players on the sidelines as opposed to the bloated mummies.

# 91 RGiles36 @ 02/27/09 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutme
IMO thats a bit extreme, how is seeing refs going to kill the game for you seriously, next thing we'll complain of is refs throwing flags for stuff that they did not see, because in game there back was turned. if they add it they add it if they dont they dont.

Improve the AI vs PA plays if they do that ill be happy.
Maybe kill the game or gamebreaker is not the right choice of words.

It's really the principle of the whole thing that ruffles my feathers a little bit. I mean, I can't pretend I know what's involved with creating these characters and keeping the game stable, but referrees seems to be such an elementary component of a videogame. So having a referree-less game on what should be superior hardware compared to past generation consoles is a little disheartening.

It has to be more difficult to get them in than what we give them credit for. But to see the continued abscence of characters (just speculating obviously) that we routinely saw for years makes you scratch your head.

# 92 mjussawalla @ 02/27/09 12:19 PM
I wouldn't count on the refs being added for this year. However, if they add bowl patches to the uniforms...I may over look the refs for 1 more year.

# 93 SageInfinite @ 02/27/09 12:22 PM
Quote:
Maybe kill the game or gamebreaker is not the right choice of words.

It's really the principle of the whole thing that ruffles my feathers a little bit. I mean, I can't pretend I know what's involved with creating these characters and keeping the game stable, but referrees seems to be such an elementary component of a videogame. So having a referree-less game on what should be superior hardware compared to past generation consoles is a little disheartening.

It has to be more difficult to get them in than what we give them credit for. But to see the continued abscence of characters (just speculating obviously) that we routinely saw for years makes you scratch your head.
Exactly. They shouldn't have been removed in the 1st place. That's my problem. Its been years and they still haven't made a return. It just lets me know this team is not really dedicated to bringing the sport to life. For me it's not really so much the refs on the field, its the chain gang. It just adds to the atmosphere and the sideline detail.

It'd be different if this was the 2nd year on new hardware, even then it was disappointing, but now IMO it's inexcusable.

# 94 TheWatcher @ 02/27/09 12:39 PM
^^^ Yeah. Year 5 coming up. We've already heard from the devs about the AI issues involved as a reason the refs have not made an appearance, but there's got to be more to this than they're telling us.

There were no refs in Fight Night Round 3 either and that game doesn't have even nearly the same number of poly's pumping on-screen at once or the same AI issues to deal with, so this adds some credibility to the rumor that the EA no-ref thing was a company-wide decision for some other reasons and not just a programming roadblock. There was another football game that had refs year one on 360/PS3 (not naming any names)... now of course different tools, different code, different development team, but you still wonder what that team did to get this in where a team that's been developing on the platform (360) since 2004 (EA) hasn't.

# 95 Speedy @ 02/27/09 12:44 PM
Quote:
Exactly. They shouldn't have been removed in the 1st place. That's my problem. Its been years and they still haven't made a return. It just lets me know this team is not really dedicated to bringing the sport to life. For me it's not really so much the refs on the field, its the chain gang. It just adds to the atmosphere and the sideline detail.

It'd be different if this was the 2nd year on new hardware, even then it was disappointing, but now IMO it's inexcusable.
I love the addition for the endzone art, and FG stuff but I'd love to see the refs and chain gang again as well...I'd like the ability to actually plow into one of them for a full realism but if they're just there I'll be happy

# 96 SageInfinite @ 02/27/09 12:53 PM
I mean IMO it just shows EA is more focused on fast quick action than actually presenting the sport realistically as we watch it on TV. It seems like the focus is slowly shifting(especially with the non football titles) but if it's not this year, I'm going to have to pass.

I'm tired of only playing these games for a month or two because they lack the atmosphere presentation and little things that keep bringing me back. If the gameplay was outstanding it'd be easier to deal with, but sadly it's not IMO.

# 97 RynoAid @ 02/27/09 12:55 PM
i have to go change my undies now after absorbing all these little tidbits OMT is throwing out.... hoping the game is gonna deliver bigtime this year...

the progressive lighting and the "new" component to OD have me hot and bothered at this point.

# 98 RGiles36 @ 02/27/09 01:03 PM
Quote:
I mean IMO it just shows EA is more focused on fast quick action than actually presenting the sport realistically as we watch it on TV. It seems like the focus is slowly shifting(especially with the non football titles) but if it's not this year, I'm going to have to pass.
Well again, to be fair, we're just speculating at this point. But it just seems that if refs were in this year, that would've been the perfect blog to segway (SP) into it.

# 99 SageInfinite @ 02/27/09 01:28 PM
Quote:
Well again, to be fair, we're just speculating at this point. But it just seems that if refs were in this year, that would've been the perfect blog to segway (SP) into it.
Yea of course right now this is all speculation, but if it becomes reality then this is how I feel about it. Hopefully we can get an announcement of refs returning when they discuss presentation and atmosphere. Again I'm not jumping the gun here guys and complaining about something that has not been confirmed, but if it's true this year again, then I'm going to have to pass.

# 100 Hey_Rebby @ 02/27/09 01:55 PM
OMT,

I'm confused. So the end zones you have up on your blog are each team's bowl end zone artwork, not their home field artwork right?

UNLV doesn't have black end zones (at least they didn't last year). And they don't use that word mark any more. Their new stuff is up shown at unlvrebels.com. The logo I have on my avatar is old.

Thanks

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.