Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers the improvements to WR/DB interaction.

Quote:
"As most folks already know, as a design team we've been very active on the forums recently (starting about a month or so before the Madden NFL 09 release). Within minutes of talking with the community it's easy to tell that one of the most common areas requested for improvement is DB/WR play. Obviously, we're listening to you, and here are just some of the other improvements and changes that you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10 come August."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Rocky @ 03/02/09 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
theyre doing the same thing but the 09 one is doing it way faster. and the 09 one just plants and cuts on the route, the other one is breaking down and then cutting
The guy is Madden 09 is running a much better out route however. He rolls off his outside foot, he has alot less steps, and he has far less turning signals. He is running a pretty good out route if besides the fact that he needs to sell the vertical more and he actually has to follow the laws of physics.

The guy in 10 follows the law of physics but he runs a very sloppy route.

# 22 glitchditcher @ 03/02/09 12:26 PM
In the man coverage video- the part that says "defender trailing behind" is showing what happens only when the defender is over matched and gets beat, right ? Because if that's what happens every single time the defender doesn't jump the route, man coverage will be easily exploited once again. That WR was wide open.

# 23 wordtobigbird @ 03/02/09 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The guy is Madden 09 is running a much better out route however. He rolls off his outside foot, he has alot less steps, and he has far less turning signals. He is running a pretty good out route if besides the fact that he needs to sell the vertical more and he actually has to follow the laws of physics.

The guy in 10 follows the law of physics but he runs a very sloppy route.
yeah i was going to ask about the rating of that WR. looks like hes way too slow to make his break.

# 24 rhombic21 @ 03/02/09 12:30 PM
First, this looks great! Really glad to see this new tech working it's way into the game.

Second, I am also interested in the following questions that BezO poses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Excellent! These "minor" announcements have been quite major.

Just a few questions.

-Any Cover 2 specific chuch animations where the CB is trying to force the WR inside?
-Can pass interferance be called during a chuck?
-Will motion have an effect on the DB's ability to chuck?
-Is there a shading feature that allows the CBs to line up inside, straight up & outside of the WR? And will this effect chucking?

# 25 kmart2180 @ 03/02/09 12:31 PM
Amazing stuff Ian! It just keeps on getting better and better . One thing I would like to hear about is the fade route. I think that route is long overdo, and needs to be correctly reworked. I love the jostling

# 26 green94 @ 03/02/09 12:34 PM
This is the 6th blog in MARCH people. Unbelievable what Ian and his team are putting together this year!!

# 27 Golden28 @ 03/02/09 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
On 2nd look, why does the WR running the out route on Madden 09 look alot better than the WR running the out route on Madden 10?
How do you mean?

Do you mean the WR in 09 looks a better player as he's quicker into the cut or do you mean that the animations are better in 09 than 10?

***EDIT*** sorry, just seen your explanation.

Looks fabulous BTW. Much more realistic momentum and as for the jostling and procedural awareness. Fantastic.

Can't wait to see how it plays in conjunction with the new QB ratings.

Elite QB/WR tandems should really stand out this year, as should shutdown corners.

# 28 drlw322 @ 03/02/09 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Excellent! These "minor" announcements have been quite major.

Just a few questions.

-Any Cover 2 specific chuch animations where the CB is trying to force the WR inside?
-Can pass interferance be called during a chuck?
-Will motion have an effect on the DB's ability to chuck?
-Is there a shading feature that allows the CBs to line up inside, straight up & outside of the WR? And will this effect chucking?
here you go
Quote:
  • Re-factored the logic for win/loss on chucks based on the route the receiver wants to run. For example, if the WR wants to run inside (i.e. a post), and he "wins" the press, then he won't just pick an animation that beats the press, he'll pick one of many press beating animations that actually break inside. Likewise for defensive players...they'll push the player inside if they "win" the press in like a Cover 2 situation.

# 29 callmetaternuts @ 03/02/09 12:38 PM
Great job Ian (and team). A few questions.

- The way the route runner slows down to get into his cut, is it that slow due to it being a (presumably) a tight end. I dont know that alot of WR's take that much time.
- There used to be a bug with the matchup screen where it would end up with a LB on a WR with a CB on the tight end or back ( i cant remember how it happened). Just a heads up

Everything looks great. Impressed thus far

# 30 cowboy_kmoney @ 03/02/09 12:40 PM
Its on Its on,Man we have something here Madden fans and there even putting it all on NCAA so we may have a playable game in that one also....Keep doing your thang Ian.

# 31 rhombic21 @ 03/02/09 12:44 PM
I think this improvement, perhaps more than anything else (except for potential re-working of OL/DL interaction) that we have seen since the game went to next-gen, is going to have the most fundamental impact on the way that people play the game, and the way that people experience the game.

# 32 Palo20 @ 03/02/09 12:50 PM
The Madden '09 route looks like more of a "speed out" that Marvin Harrison has run a lot through the years where the WR doesn't break down as much, they just cut off the inside leg. Mike Martz uses this a lot too.

To me, those should be 2 different routes.

# 33 edubbs @ 03/02/09 12:52 PM
I really like the tidbit about how DB's will track the receivers eyes while in man coverage.

This will give the impression of playing 1 on 1 man defense a much better look IMO. I can't wait to see what they did with OL/DL interaction.

# 34 Rashad19 @ 03/02/09 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
I think this improvement, perhaps more than anything else (except for potential re-working of OL/DL interaction) that we have seen since the game went to next-gen, is going to have the most fundamental impact on the way that people play the game, and the way that people experience the game.
I completely agree...gone are the days of of not putting some thought and strategy into offensive playcalling. I'm curious to see the offensive gameplans that are going to evolve now that Madden 10 is creating a 'Sim' enviornment. I see some true battles on the horizon between sim style players!!

# 35 ngoulding @ 03/02/09 01:03 PM
Ian, I thought these were meant to be small announcements? Already you've provided more solutions to long running Madden problems (terrible db/wr interaction, players staring vacantly into space, terrible stat keeping) than all the previous next gen Madden titles combined. I can't begin to imagine what the 'big' announcements around draft time and into the summer will be. Great work

# 36 baumy300 @ 03/02/09 01:06 PM
Ian, have you guys done anything to make "jump" balls a factor in this years game?

We know what Fitz did throughout the playoffs with his leaping ability was deadly, but Madden needs to give the receivers a chance to leap for a ball!

# 37 youALREADYknow @ 03/02/09 01:06 PM
One question:

Was the acceleration/deceleration change to running changed across the board for the '10 version of EA football games?

This change was absolutely necessary and I applaud it for WR/DB interaction, but hope that the change will apply to every player's movement on the field.

# 38 TheWatcher @ 03/02/09 01:07 PM
Another great blog. I'm really anxious to see how this fits in the final product.

# 39 RGiles36 @ 03/02/09 01:11 PM
Great stuff!! i wasn't expecting this blog until later in the day like the others that have been posted. But this is great!!

With the improvements we've seen thus far already, it really makes me question WTF was the old Madden regime doing these last few years?

# 40 thudias @ 03/02/09 01:11 PM
OMG How are the developers going to be able to keep this pace up with the blogs? Five for Five...this is awesome...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.