Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers the improvements to WR/DB interaction.

Quote:
"As most folks already know, as a design team we've been very active on the forums recently (starting about a month or so before the Madden NFL 09 release). Within minutes of talking with the community it's easy to tell that one of the most common areas requested for improvement is DB/WR play. Obviously, we're listening to you, and here are just some of the other improvements and changes that you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10 come August."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 c dizzy m baby @ 03/10/09 06:10 AM
Ian this is huge for me, but could you make sure you add the ability to just press one WR instead of your whole defense coming up? I play with the Raiders and they have one good press coverage corner in Nnamdi, but when 09 first came out Deangelo wasn't good at it. With the improvements to the press animations I dont want to have to have my hypothetical Deangelo getting toasted just because I want to press with Nnamdi.

Im going to have so much fun with this combined with the defensive assignments since I exclusively play with the Raiders... I could have Nnamdi follow your number 2 WR with a bad release around all day and eliminate him from the game, while I double or triple team your main threat, or I could play him straight up with Nnamdi to focus on other areas of your offense.... It is starting to feel like real football....

Also Ian did you say if the double team man coverage was working correctly? The defense never brackets the receiver, they both usually end up getting toasted.

# 162 game designer @ 03/28/09 02:10 PM
my maine interest would be sense this is supposed to be more realistic are the wide outs that have the abilty to go and catch the ball at its highest point and the abilty to slow down togather them self to jump? are the the wide out like larry and randy moss gong be able to adjust and slow to make the jump at the end of there route to catch the ball at it highest point?

# 163 kjcheezhead @ 05/16/09 02:57 PM
This is such a huge issue for me that I would love to see the db/wr animations shown to us in a in game vid like the pass block animations were done. Almost every shot I have seen shows the dbs still getting killed in man coverage.

Two wrs running routes in this image and they are both beating their man against Tenn (a pretty solid d). Can I see some shots of good man coverage please?

# 164 johnnyg713 @ 04/25/10 07:17 PM
this thread brought back some memories... Look at what we were told we were getting last year for wr/db interaction

# 165 parrothead @ 04/25/10 08:14 PM
Really, dude, really

# 166 johnnyg713 @ 04/25/10 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Really, dude, really
REALLY

# 167 roadman @ 04/25/10 09:08 PM
Well, hopefully some of this stuff works better this year, that's all that can be said.

# 168 parrothead @ 04/25/10 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
REALLY
Fair enough

# 169 johnnyg713 @ 04/25/10 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Fair enough
lol honestly I bumped it because everyone is seeing the new vids of madden 11 and if this tech exists why cant they just put it in/make it work!! A lot of people including myself stress the important of WR/DB interaction. Idk why its not in the game!

# 170 parrothead @ 04/26/10 12:18 AM
The weird thing was that nobody ever officially said it wasn't in the game or why it didn't trigger that often.

# 171 icomb1ne @ 04/26/10 12:26 AM
Quote:
lol honestly I bumped it because everyone is seeing the new vids of madden 11 and if this tech exists why cant they just put it in/make it work!! A lot of people including myself stress the important of WR/DB interaction. Idk why its not in the game!
This is a prime example of why Madden is stuck in terms of quality.

Everything they try to do just sucks or is left unfinished.

Superstar Mode (06)-Bust
Vision Cone (06)-Bust
"Weapons" (08)-Bust
Franchise Mode for current gen (08)-Unfinished
New Commentators (09)-Lacking...
"Improved" Locomotion (09)-Bust

It seems like the people at Tiburon know what's wrong...they just can't execute.

# 172 johnnyg713 @ 04/26/10 12:45 AM
I mean wow read that blog.. and tell me even half that stuff is in the game.

" In real life, regardless of the difference in speed, a good defensive back can use his body to keep the receiver in check... a fly route is rarely an untouched foot-race sprint to the endzone."

"Adding these animations also allowed us the ability to call more realistic pass interference penalties. We've added a lot of variety that ranges from minor hand-fighting to severe push-offs and holds, so now we can make sure that pass interference gets called in a much more accurate manner. We're using the man coverage rating of the defender to determine how well he keeps the WR in check and how often he gets penalized."

"Re-factored all double moves to work correctly, including defensive cut moves that are companions to the WR cuts (chances of defender biting come from man coverage rating, play recognition rating, as well as boosts for correctly timed pump fakes)

Added all new start play WR animations with more realistic acceleration

Added "pop" animations where say a LB will hit a WR as he comes across the middle through his zone"

"Lastly, we've started to use Procedural Awareness (so far just as a purely visual thing). We recently got head tracking in pre-play for WR's so they now look in towards the ball at the snap. This has been long overdue. We also enabled Procedural Awareness head tracking for DB's. In man coverage they will directly 'track' the eyes of the WR, and in zone coverage they will track the QB's eyes, with the ability to also randomly swap targets based on proximity of guys entering their zone."

# 173 parrothead @ 04/26/10 12:50 AM
"I just threw up in my mouth a little bit."

# 174 johnnyg713 @ 04/26/10 01:03 AM
I'm also gonna call this right now.. The dev team for both NCAA and Madden stated they have layered blending for the running back for things like putting his arm up to push past the lead blocker or fighting off a tackle from behind. I have yet to see these animations in any of the videos released thus far and bet we wont be seeing this in the finished game either. However I hope Im dead wrong.

# 175 TombSong @ 04/26/10 07:05 AM
I like a lot of what I just read. If it works as advertised these additions should make the game play a lot better.

Hope to see some footage soon of this stuff in an actual game. Show some of the better WR's running routes against some of the lesser DB's and vice versa.

Can we see that warping has been eliminated or reduced to a point where its not negative game play impacting ?

# 176 jp7588 @ 04/26/10 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I like a lot of what I just read. If it works as advertised these additions should make the game play a lot better.

Hope to see some footage soon of this stuff in an actual game. Show some of the better WR's running routes against some of the lesser DB's and vice versa.

Can we see that warping has been eliminated or reduced to a point where its not negative game play impacting ?

Bumping old threads can be dangerous.

# 177 briax87 @ 04/26/10 10:48 AM
Quote:
I mean wow read that blog.. and tell me even half that stuff is in the game.

" In real life, regardless of the difference in speed, a good defensive back can use his body to keep the receiver in check... a fly route is rarely an untouched foot-race sprint to the endzone."

"Adding these animations also allowed us the ability to call more realistic pass interference penalties. We've added a lot of variety that ranges from minor hand-fighting to severe push-offs and holds, so now we can make sure that pass interference gets called in a much more accurate manner. We're using the man coverage rating of the defender to determine how well he keeps the WR in check and how often he gets penalized."

"Re-factored all double moves to work correctly, including defensive cut moves that are companions to the WR cuts (chances of defender biting come from man coverage rating, play recognition rating, as well as boosts for correctly timed pump fakes)

Added all new start play WR animations with more realistic acceleration

Added "pop" animations where say a LB will hit a WR as he comes across the middle through his zone"

"Lastly, we've started to use Procedural Awareness (so far just as a purely visual thing). We recently got head tracking in pre-play for WR's so they now look in towards the ball at the snap. This has been long overdue. We also enabled Procedural Awareness head tracking for DB's. In man coverage they will directly 'track' the eyes of the WR, and in zone coverage they will track the QB's eyes, with the ability to also randomly swap targets based on proximity of guys entering their zone."
It's been ages since I last played Madden 10, but can anyone tell me if they have ever experienced the part in bold? The only pass inteference calls I remember is when I would smash the receiver well before the ball arrived

# 178 johnnyg713 @ 04/26/10 02:20 PM
^ Never

# 179 splff3000 @ 04/26/10 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong

lol Please, oh please tell me you were joking.

# 180 splff3000 @ 04/26/10 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briax87
It's been ages since I last played Madden 10, but can anyone tell me if they have ever experienced the part in bold? The only pass inteference calls I remember is when I would smash the receiver well before the ball arrived
I think the poster was saying that none of that exist and I concur. I haven't seen anything on that list lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.