Home
News Post

EA has just released their NHL 09 patch for 360 users. Please post your impressions here.

Quote:
Exploit fixes:

-Fixes the 99 attribute bug in OTP/EASHL by preventing players from entering games with attributes that are raised beyond the level they can reach with the card they are entitled to have. Players who have elevated their attributes this way should reset their character by changing the type and reassigning their points.
-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 6'4" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).
-Fixed some problems that could cause the game to hang or go out of sync when pausing.
-Prevent use of LB to get up instantly after being knocked over.
-Reduce accuracy of shooting while using vision control to skate backwards.
-Prevent high, accurate slap shots from in close to the net.

Other changes:

-Reduced the ease of beating the goalie on the short side.
-Decrease the tendency of the goalies to use a desperation save unnecessarily.
-Strict calling of interference, though you can still clear players directly in front of the net without getting called for interference.
-Added stick lift to Classic controls using LB+X(XBox)/L1+Square(PS3). It is also on R3 (press Right Stick).
-Fixed shot targeting using the Always Up control when skating down ice.
-Added new NHL rule to locate face-offs in the attacking zone to start a powerplay.
-Prevent CPU players from getting delay of game penalties frequently while clearing the puck from their zone.
-Prevent puck from being poke checked away from the goalie when he has it covered under his glove.
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the last man back, holding RT(Xbox) /R2(PS3)
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the goalie, holding LB+A(Xbox)/L1+X(PS3)
- Reduce the range of heights on randomly generated CPU players, including goalies.
-Eliminate the ability to accelerate and maintain high speed while stick lifting.
-More penalties for high sticking when stick lifts are done from behind the opponent.
-Made the colours of the OTP/EASHL indicators more distinct (yellow and orange).
-Made face-off outcomes slightly more random and slightly less dependent on attributes.
-Added assistance to prevent one-timer and shot attempts from leading to accidental hits and interference penalties.
-Goalie tuning to increase goal-scoring a bit to compensate for taking away the easy short-side high goals.
-Improve hit stat tracking to not count all of the small bumps in front of the net.
-Increased injuries caused by CPU teams.
-Prevent puck from being launched with very high speed following a hit.
-AI tuning for superstar. The Aggression slider now affects how intense the CPU team is on that difficulty level.

NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Rhudey @ 03/04/09 01:23 PM
Well, more penalties now, I still can't score, one level too hard, the next too easy. Guess Ill play hockey next year

# 62 JohnnytheSkin @ 03/04/09 01:34 PM
Upon further review, this patch rocks. Checking from Behind calls, more goal variety, and a much more patient attack being required against the AI.

Thanks, EA!

# 63 andayaman @ 03/04/09 02:07 PM
This patch is a huge advantage for the players who play legitimately. You can no longer win games just by hitting everything that moves. I just beat a guy 7-3. I was Buffalo and he was Chicago. With our stats, he would of beat me pre-patch(Okay maybe not, I had 68 shots on they guy. But it would of been alot closer).

Chicago - Buffalo
Shots 18-68
Hits 96-8
Faceoffs 14-26
TOA 4:00-11:41
PIM 30:00-8:00
PP 1/4-4/15

He earned his Powerplay goal. His other two came because I started to get really lax at the end of the game.

# 64 bukktown @ 03/04/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andayaman
This patch is a huge advantage for the players who play legitimately. You can no longer win games just by hitting everything that moves. I just beat a guy 7-3. I was Buffalo and he was Chicago. With our stats, he would of beat me pre-patch(Okay maybe not, I had 68 shots on they guy. But it would of been alot closer).

Chicago - Buffalo
Shots 18-68
Hits 96-8
Faceoffs 14-26
PP 1/4-4/15

He earned his Powerplay goal. His other two came because I started to get really lax at the end of the game.
6...8...shots?!

# 65 flyersdabe @ 03/04/09 04:50 PM
Wow, what a great job EA has done! There is so much open ice to work with now that it just makes it more realistic. The hitting is somewhat more realistic of a number and the interference is going to eventually disappear from the game!

Here is some stats I just had in OTP Community:
Sweden (other team)/Denmark(my team)
Shots- 15/36
Hits- 60/24
PP- 0-2/5/12

My guy's stats:
Goals: 3
Assists: 3
+/-: 0 (somehow, yet we won 8-2)
PPG: 1
PPA: 3
S: 22 (61% of my team's shots, didn't puck hog, just threw it on net looking for rebounds)
PIM: 2(great number for me, with the patch I have been getting at least 6)
Hits: 4

# 66 vanman @ 03/04/09 05:05 PM
Overall the patch is great. However, I just encountered another pause glitch. It was very frustrating. We were beating a team 4-0. Then with about 5 seconds left they skated behind their goal and held the puck. Then with less than a second left they paused the game. The announcer then announce the end of the game and the final screen with the 3 GPA scores came up. After we left the final screen (which usually exits the game) it just stayed at "Waiting for user" ...for which we waited a few minutes for. We had no option but to exit to the dashboard and restart the game.

Upon returning to the My Club stats the game we played was not there. Now I just wish I remembered the name of the team we played.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

# 67 Matt Diesel @ 03/04/09 05:39 PM
No, but I scored 4 goals in OTP last night in a game and only 3 counted. The game was still 1-1 after I scored the second goal, 1-2 after I scored the 3rd goal, etc.

Overall, fantastic patch. Like its been said, dont check someone who doesnt have possession of the puck unless they are in front of your goal, and you will be fine.

I had zero penalty minutes in 2 games. But, they call them really tight so I can see how some people, especially physical players, are having a hard time.

# 68 andayaman @ 03/04/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
6...8...shots?!

Yeah, 68 is right. The dude was more focused on putting hits on me, as you can see by his 96 hits, than scoring. Before the patch, putting endless hits on people was very advantageous and of little consequence, but now you can get some good PP opportunities out of it.

One glitch that hasn't been addressed is the one where the Goalie stands with his arms to his sides as if he is protecting from a wraparound. The puck trickles under his feet, and he just stands there instead of attempting to drop on it. An opposing player just skates up, poke checks "through" his legs, and viola, an instant goal.
It's happened to me a couple of times pre-patch and once today.

It's probably a rare occurence, so that's probably why it hasn't been addressed.

Anyway, I was loving this game before the patch, and after the patch I'm loving it even more.

# 69 catcatch22 @ 03/04/09 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanteriX
Nope, there's a difference between the two penalties. It's a small difference, but basically if it's above the boards then it's checking from behind. If it's into the boards then it's boarding.
I watch alot of hockey since there are three teams in my area and I have never seen a penalty called for checking from behind. They always call it boarding.

EDIT** They almost never call a guy for checking someone into the boards when they are straight up and don't have their head down.

# 70 LanteriX @ 03/04/09 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I watch alot of hockey since there are three teams in my area and I have never seen a penalty called for checking from behind. They always call it boarding.

EDIT** They almost never call a guy for checking someone into the boards when they are straight up and don't have their head down.
Yeah, it's rarely called. But then, most players don't violently hit other players from straight on behind either.

# 71 bukktown @ 03/04/09 11:39 PM
--------------------------------Online Only Player--------------------------- The patch is great! Online is much more fun now. I am sure some new glitches will come out but I dont care, I feel like a got 3 different NHL 09 games this year (because the 2 patches changed gameplay so significantly) all for only $60.

# 72 jyoung @ 03/05/09 12:32 AM
My club was getting our butts handed to us before the patch because we didn't have juicers/glitchers like all the other teams we played against, but tonight we got together for the first time since the patch and won all four games we played.

Awesome patch.

I still feel like the AI goalies are a bit too super-human when it comes to reading plays and making saves, but maybe it's just because so many of my teammates don't have a whole lot of attribute points on their players, and thus, have weaker shots.

# 73 MizzouRah @ 03/05/09 01:16 AM
Let me say this.. I've been an up and down hockey player this year, had some fun with 2k9 and then went back to NHL 09.. this latest patch has me hooked.

Thank you.

Just had one of those gaming "moments" where I played Detroit at home and I was on my game tonight. I really pressured them and capitalized on their mistakes. It was the best game I've had with NHL 09, bravo on the patch EA!

# 74 ClarkKent @ 03/05/09 03:19 AM
Quote:
-Made face-off outcomes slightly more random and slightly less dependent on attributes.
I really hate this addition. Faceoffs should be about skill and never random. I now feel like I can time it right, have the vastly superior faceoff guy and still lose far too often.

Couple more gripes, increased penalties are a good thing, but I wish that I was committing the penalties instead of my random AI teammate away from the play that take far too many.

Also while the sample size isn't very big(5 games or so, Offline only), my goalies give up alot more weak goals now. And the CPU still cheeses which I was hoping would be gone - mainly the incredibly soft wrist shots from the blueline or far boards that the goalie can't contain and the streaking winger gets it. I know that may sound like a good goal, but there's no traffic and the wrist shots are so weak that no goalie wouldn't be able to hold on to it. They also try the dump in crap where the goalie stops it at his feet and just leaves it there.

Don't get me wrong the game plays more sim and much better, but still some problems. Maybe slider fixes will help.

# 75 kerosene31 @ 03/05/09 09:27 AM
Only played one game online, but I don't see much improvement.

We played against a team with 2 humans, one playing forward and the other the goalie.

-The control all players glitch was still there
-The side of the net cheese goals are still there (maybe toned down somewhat but still there)

The CPU defenders still push shooters out wide, which leads them to the perfect spot for side net cheese goals still.

Very disappointing.

I did score on a shot from the slot, but it still looks like the best play is the cheese

The interference penalties are nice.

# 76 Qb @ 03/05/09 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
We played against a team with 2 humans, one playing forward and the other the goalie.
We played four EASHL games the other night -- I sat out last night, but I'm sure they played more -- and loved how the gameplay felt with a lot of human players on the ice. The puck seems to be a little looser, but there is more freedom to move around the ice now that interference is called, so you can get into good scoring positions without the puck if you're smart.

BUT, we also played one game against only 2 people (1F, 1D) and I think that was our toughest game of the night (we won all four -- hip-hip-hooray for no juice!). Their AI players scored 3 of their 4 goals and the CPU center was a pain in the arse on faceoffs (I play center). I think I won over 50% of the FOs in that game, but only because I went against the human forward on the PK, winning almost every one.

I guess my point is that the AI-controlled players seem to be a little more effective after the patch. It may only be due to the fact that they're not running around taking stupid penalties, but considering the AI seems somewhat tighter offline, perhaps they are actually 'smarter'. If you can get a few games in against 4 or more people, you should start to see more of an improvement from the patch. I know my teammates and I are extremely pleased...

Oh and we didn't see any short-side slapper or wraparound goals in those four games. But it's probably worth mentioning that we became quite good at shutting them down prior to the patch (lots of practice, ha), so our opponents don't get too many chances to do them.

# 77 FlyingFinn @ 03/05/09 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22

Boarding is called when the player being checked is 3 or 4 feet from the boards and checked from behind causing him the go head first into the boards. Thus, I don't have a problem with the hit from behind call. The hit in the game could also be called charging because most of the time the checker takes more then 3 strides to hit the player.

EDIT: Just have to say I am loving the patch. Now when I lose online I don't feel as though I were cheated. I was either outplayed or my opponent caught a lucky bounce or 2. Good times all around

# 78 kerosene31 @ 03/05/09 11:41 AM
Yeah the CPU d-men are not smart enough to stop the side of the net cheese. They push players wide (which makes sense), but the goofy goalies still let in a lot. They probably improved it somewhat, at least it isn't an automatic goal, but it is still there.

It is easy to shut down with a human d-man. I play D almost all the time (unless we only have 1 other guy then you have to have 2 forwards) and I can stop most of the side of the net stuff easily.

The problem is I hate the way I have to play D to do it. I struggled at D until I finally figured out to leave the slot wide open and only worry about the side and behind the net. Then all of a sudden I started getting it and stopping everyone.

I was just disappointed that the play hasn't shifted back out to the front of the net and slot as much as it should.

# 79 akula @ 03/05/09 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andayaman

Chicago - Buffalo
Shots 18-68
Hits 96-8
Faceoffs 14-26
PP 1/4-4/15

indeed my friend, check out these stats from a game I just had: (repost from my other thread)

I was NSH.

FINAL SCORE:

NASHVILLE: 10
EDMONTON: 1

SHOTS:

NASHVILLE: 72
EDMONTON: 16

HITS:

NASHVILLE: 39
EDMONTON: 230

PIM:

NASHVILLE: 10:00
EDMONTON: 72:00

TIME ON ATTACK:

NASHVILLE: 12:13
EDMONTON: 2:49

# 80 Qb @ 03/05/09 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
The problem is I hate the way I have to play D to do it. I struggled at D until I finally figured out to leave the slot wide open and only worry about the side and behind the net. Then all of a sudden I started getting it and stopping everyone.
If you're talking OTP and are lucky enough to play with a full squad (especially two human D-men), the best way to defend in your zone (IMHO of course) is as follows:

Center: Front of the net to high slot, cover for D-men if beaten (ie, don't let anyone skate to the net)
Strong-side D-man: Take the puck carrier, push him wide, cut-off lane to net for short-side cheddar
Weak-side D-man: Watch far post for cross-crease, cover for center in slot, mindful of wrap-arounds
Strong-side winger: support SSD along boards/in corner, watch for puck back to point
Weak-side winger: support slot, watch high off zone area to cut-off D-to-D pass if teammates are in proper position

More to the point of what you're saying, yes, I've found it sucks to play D by yourself. I feel like I have to be a heat-seeking missile going after anyone with the puck anywhere near the net. I have little faith in my CPU defensive partner to do much of anything. I also don't enjoy playing D like this...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.