Home
Tiger Woods 10 News Post

EA has posted another Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 blog. This one covers realistic start times in PGA TOUR season modes.

Quote:
"In TW10, the player will start each round of the tournament in the following manner:
• 1st Round: Random start time. The player's start time for the round will be based on a random draw. The player could be one of the first golfers to go off, or one of the last.
• 2nd Round: Inverse of 1st round. The starting order will be the inverse of random order that the first round was played in.
• 3rd & 4th Rounds: Start time based on leaderboard position. If you are towards the bottom of the leaderboard, you will start the round before those towards the top (and vice-versa). The starting order is the inverse order of the leaderboard standings. So, just like in real-life, the top two players tee-off in the final pairing."

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ocat @ 03/08/09 04:10 AM
A step in the right direction but i hope to god that is not the only improvement to the season mode. If they can get the ball physics right then i would be happy, just dump the "fluff" and make this game actually play like golf!

# 2 Gambeino @ 03/09/09 11:07 AM
insteresting

# 3 OnlookerDelay @ 03/09/09 04:01 PM
While "Realistic Start Times" a welcome addition, it's a shame that something this basic should have to be billed as a feature... it should have been a design feature from the inception of tournament play, years ago!

I'm curious to see the interface changes that have allegedly been made, particularly to the putting stroke. I think we may have seen the end of the multiple putter ranges at long last, at least in Tour Pro mode!

# 4 djep @ 03/09/09 06:49 PM
Please please please - let in-round saves be one of the new features.

# 5 ComfortablyLomb @ 03/09/09 09:06 PM
Finally? I vaguelly recall realistic start times being in a game all the way back to EA's own PGA Tour Golf II on the Sega Genesis so it's nice to see EA has figured out how to code it once again.

# 6 Klocker @ 03/09/09 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Please please please - let in-round saves be one of the new features.
hell yes

# 7 OnlookerDelay @ 03/10/09 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Finally? I vaguelly recall realistic start times being in a game all the way back to EA's own PGA Tour Golf II on the Sega Genesis so it's nice to see EA has figured out how to code it once again.
It's funny you should mention this, I was trying to recall what was the first golf game to seed the start times properly for four round play... and I believe you are correct in citing PGA Tour Golf II for having that element (I won't flatter it bey calling it a feature because it's an integral part of tournament golf). If anything, EA Sports should bill their "Last Off The Tee" format over the last few years as a feature, because it's giving you a twist on reality that *can* play to your advantage.

# 8 mikemj23 @ 03/10/09 04:52 PM
While this sounds great in theory, here's my question : What are they going to add to the game to distinguish when you are starting? So in other words, so what if you are in the last pairing or the first pairing? Yeah, in your mind it is cool to think that you are in the final pairing on Sunday, but are they going to add the things to the game that impact your play (like in real life) depending on your start time, which would make this feature a tangible addition and not just another gimmick? Start times impact various things in real life and hopefully this will be implemented in the game.

So what things impact you (the golfer) the most depending on your start time? (Obviously not an all inclusive list here, just some quick thoughts)

-bigger galleries (obviously if you are playing in the final pairings on Sunday)
-green degradation (spike marks, ball marks all from all the other groups who have already played the holes earlier in the day)
-dynamic weather changes (British Open is a great example of this) and lighting effects
-if you are in the final groups and contending more heart pounding, rumble support type stuff (I play on Ps3)
-again, if you are contending, cut scenes at a Tournament Style leaderboard to show you in real time what is going on with the final groups (say last 5).

Obviously, if you aren't contending then some of these things shouldn't come into play.

I love the Tiger series but have posted before that I think the game is way too easy and that is one of my big hurdles every year when buying. But also, I would really like to see more attention spent on the tournament galleries, weather effects, and overall presentation of the tournament play.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.