Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The latest Madden NFL 10 blog is online. This week it's all about creating the 'sim-style' gameplay.

Quote:
"From the very beginning of the year, we've tried to make clear our vision for Madden - one of authenticity, realism, & simulation (aka 'sim'). There is no doubt that we all want to turn this game into the most realistic version of Madden in history. This week I wanted to touch on some of the changes we've made (and struggles we've had) while trying to achieve this goal for Madden NFL 10."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Anti Honor @ 03/09/09 11:05 PM
Best blog yet.

One of my complaints has always been the gameplay being too fast. The game speed slider alone, wow. Huge addition.

I am pumped about 2010.

# 102 Ian_Cummings @ 03/09/09 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ian when you guys showcase this stuff next week, if you do prototype videos, can you do one that shows how this stuff will play out on defense as well? For instance, it would be cool to see how well DE's and OLB's turn the corner, or make that arc against a offensive tackle.
Nice subtle attempt at trying to get more information on blocking improvements.

# 103 Sanchez_Mareno @ 03/09/09 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
ha i didnt even realise he was trying for that

# 104 LBzrule @ 03/09/09 11:43 PM
Quote:
It may have come off that way, but that was not the intent LOL. I really want to see how everything that has been put in and adjusted affects the defense. We haven't seen or heard anything concerning that yet.

# 105 MrDhWhat @ 03/09/09 11:50 PM
that's great Ian. what ever you and the team get done for this years game i am happy, overall its improvement from last years game. great job EA.

# 106 frankrizzo380 @ 03/09/09 11:56 PM
I WANT THIS GAME NOW!!!!

# 107 NYyankz225 @ 03/09/09 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
It may have come off that way, but that was not the intent LOL. I really want to see how everything that has been put in and adjusted affects the defense. We haven't seen or heard anything concerning that yet.
We saw how the new WR acceleration affects the DBs, didn't we (with animations for jumping the route or trailing)? Along with the jostling video. Ian also mentioned that LBs will bump WRs that come in their zone based on procedural awareness (though we didn't see a video of that).

# 108 moylan1234 @ 03/10/09 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Great adjustments to the game. Very nice.

I did read the notation you made that the 40 times doesn't determine the players speed, and that others things factor in to it. Man I'm so glad to have read that, and it really expresses that you guys are really understanding what the NFL is about.

Just one thing I wanted to point out, and that is no player in the NFL at all should have a speed rating below 75 period.

Here is a log of what was recorded in this year combine and the slowest time was ran by a Offensive lineman. Here are the numbers for the Lineman

Name Time
Murtha, Lydon 4.89
Meredith, Jamon 5.03
Fulton, Xavier 5.04
Beatty, William 5.12
Cadogan, Gerald 5.12
Luigs, Jonathan 5.14
Bell, Joel 5.15
Britton, Eben 5.16
Walker, Brandon 5.17
Cooper, Jon 5.18
Smith, Jason 5.22

You can see the slowest time was 5.22, nowhere near where your chart went. What this is telling us is that the game of football is very different than what it was in the past. Players from all positions have really good speed. This is crazy the slowest time ran by a O lineman is only 0.82 hundredths of a second away from Percy Harvin's 4.41.

Now here is something interesting. Percy Harvin who runs extremely fast, and in this years NCAA I believe was given a 98 speed rating, and I do agree with it. Now looking at what he did in the 40 time your chart would not had given him that rating. He ran a 4.41 and is 6th on the list for WR's, and We all know that Percy deserves a 98 speed rating.

Please note EA: I know your chart isn't the final factor for the speed rating, but I'm just mentioning it to prove my point about the 40.

Name Time
Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30
Wallace, Mike 4.33
Knox, Johnny 4.34
Butler, Deon 4.38
Thomas, Mike 4.40
Harvin, Percy 4.41
Underwood, Tiquan 4.41
Byrd, Demetrius 4.42
Murphy, Louis 4.43
McKinley, Kenny 4.44

Im really glad to see that the person responsible for speed ratings is looking into other factors than the 40 time. I feel the one thing the 40 time can really determine accurately is the acceleration rating. The speed rating can truly only be determined by watching film.

Im sure for those that really know the game. The 40 time is one thing but actual game speed tells a whole other story, and in the end the truth on how fast they really are.

I have seen Defensive lineman in the NFL chase down WR's , and Im sure their 40 time was nothing close to that WR's 40 time.

The other rating that does factor into speed is fatigue. How long can they hold that speed, and that will also determine if a player can be caught from behind.

Here is a video of Ahmad Bradsaw who breaks a run but runs out of Gas, and gets caught. He is fast but since he got tired he gets caught from behind. What caused him to tire was that he had to counter one way then run about 8 yrds laterally then make a few miss then try and go paydirt. Where the defender that caught him didn't have to do all that. Fatigue hit Bradshaw.

Here is another run where he didnt have to do as much and was able to pull away.

I just wanted to mention that a few things factor in to the overall speed of a player, and the whole breakaway aspect of it also.

I hope this info I provided is helpful
really good post tyrant and I agree completely. this past preseason I was lucky enough to watch a game from the sidelines for the first time and the thing that stood out most to me was how fast all of the players are. it was a raider game so of course Mcfadden was just a blur, but i was really blown away by how well even the biggest O+D linemen moved. i really hope this is reflected in '10

# 109 NYyankz225 @ 03/10/09 12:13 AM
I have a question regarding this chart that I dont think has been addressed yet.

We have been told that Madden IQ is going to be back in 10 right? What happens if you have some aspects of your game that fall under All Pro and some in Pro? Ie your passing game is "All Madden", running is "Pro" etc. Which chart would the players' speed be based off of? Odds are I won't be using Madden IQ but if it does work more effectively this year and I try it out, I'm curious what the speed ratings/differentials would default to when you have mixed difficulty levels.

# 110 Tyrant8RDFL @ 03/10/09 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
really good post tyrant and I agree completely. this past preseason I was lucky enough to watch a game from the sidelines for the first time and the thing that stood out most to me was how fast all of the players are. it was a raider game so of course Mcfadden was just a blur, but i was really blown away by how well even the biggest O+D linemen moved. i really hope this is reflected in '10
Thank you moylan55. IM glad someone else agrees with me on this. Im very happy that they are adding a game speed option, cause I want the fast playing NFL game.

I remember when I witnessed my 1st game live, and I was so blown away with how fast they covered ground, and pursued the play. Man every time they lined up it looks like the deep ball is such a easy option and then when the ball is snapped the defense just flys all over the place.

Its pretty amazing, but again thanks for the compliment.

# 111 NBAking1013 @ 03/10/09 12:50 AM
Quote:
Thank you moylan55. IM glad someone else agrees with me on this. Im very happy that they are adding a game speed option, cause I want the fast playing NFL game.

I remember when I witnessed my 1st game live, and I was so blown away with how fast they covered ground, and pursued the play. Man every time they lined up it looks like the deep ball is such a easy option and then when the ball is snapped the defense just flys all over the place.

Its pretty amazing, but again thanks for the compliment.
Good post and good points but dont forget Fabian Washington is one of the fastest players in the NFL. So that may be a reason why he was able to catch up to Bradshaw,

# 112 DubTrey1 @ 03/10/09 01:18 AM
Ears...this latest blog is music for you.

Sounds good so far Ian/EA.

# 113 Donny_Moore @ 03/10/09 02:20 AM
Quote:
Great adjustments to the game. Very nice.

I did read the notation you made that the 40 times doesn't determine the players speed, and that others things factor in to it. Man I'm so glad to have read that, and it really expresses that you guys are really understanding what the NFL is about.

Just one thing I wanted to point out, and that is no player in the NFL at all should have a speed rating below 75 period.

Here is a log of what was recorded in this year combine and the slowest time was ran by a Offensive lineman. Here are the numbers for the Lineman

Name Time
Murtha, Lydon 4.89
Meredith, Jamon 5.03
Fulton, Xavier 5.04
Beatty, William 5.12
Cadogan, Gerald 5.12
Luigs, Jonathan 5.14
Bell, Joel 5.15
Britton, Eben 5.16
Walker, Brandon 5.17
Cooper, Jon 5.18
Smith, Jason 5.22

You can see the slowest time was 5.22, nowhere near where your chart went. What this is telling us is that the game of football is very different than what it was in the past. Players from all positions have really good speed. This is crazy the slowest time ran by a O lineman is only 0.82 hundredths of a second away from Percy Harvin's 4.41.

Now here is something interesting. Percy Harvin who runs extremely fast, and in this years NCAA I believe was given a 98 speed rating, and I do agree with it. Now looking at what he did in the 40 time your chart would not had given him that rating. He ran a 4.41 and is 6th on the list for WR's, and We all know that Percy deserves a 98 speed rating.

Please note EA: I know your chart isn't the final factor for the speed rating, but I'm just mentioning it to prove my point about the 40.

Name Time
Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30
Wallace, Mike 4.33
Knox, Johnny 4.34
Butler, Deon 4.38
Thomas, Mike 4.40
Harvin, Percy 4.41
Underwood, Tiquan 4.41
Byrd, Demetrius 4.42
Murphy, Louis 4.43
McKinley, Kenny 4.44

Im really glad to see that the person responsible for speed ratings is looking into other factors than the 40 time. I feel the one thing the 40 time can really determine accurately is the acceleration rating. The speed rating can truly only be determined by watching film.

Im sure for those that really know the game. The 40 time is one thing but actual game speed tells a whole other story, and in the end the truth on how fast they really are.

I have seen Defensive lineman in the NFL chase down WR's , and Im sure their 40 time was nothing close to that WR's 40 time.

The other rating that does factor into speed is fatigue. How long can they hold that speed, and that will also determine if a player can be caught from behind.

Here is a video of Ahmad Bradsaw who breaks a run but runs out of Gas, and gets caught. He is fast but since he got tired he gets caught from behind. What caused him to tire was that he had to counter one way then run about 8 yrds laterally then make a few miss then try and go paydirt. Where the defender that caught him didn't have to do all that. Fatigue hit Bradshaw.

Here is another run where he didnt have to do as much and was able to pull away.

I just wanted to mention that a few things factor in to the overall speed of a player, and the whole breakaway aspect of it also.

I hope this info I provided is helpful

Not exactly sure what website you are using Tyrant, but this is what we are using for combine times.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009com...e-results.html

And according to that, Mr. Ramon Foster from Tennessee ran THE slowest time this year...a 5.57

Just wanted to point the facts out.

# 114 scott209 @ 03/10/09 02:43 AM
YES!!!!!! We get a pocket for our QB's now I don't need a 70+ speed QB to win. It keeps geting beter and beter.

# 115 c dizzy m baby @ 03/10/09 02:54 AM
Quote:
Not sure that this has been mentioned, and it obviously isnt the finished product, but the FB in the video is taking the ball with the wrong hand up, inside hand should be up.

On a side note, Im not sure how often that happens for in the NFL, but that would be a GREAT way to increase fumbled handoffs from backs with lowered awareness and would be an EVEN BETTER way of preventing cheesers from doing something like this: Selects a 5 WR formation and picks up 9 yards, then he quickly calls for a no huddle and audibles to a goaline set with a 3rd or 4th string WR getting the carries from the FB position, well since WRs never get handoffs in practice there should be penalties and that would be a great way to implement it. The last 2 games I had Tony Gonzalez and Steve Breaston taking the FB dives because the guy was running a no huddle. Think about it, it could work

# 116 bukktown @ 03/10/09 03:10 AM
Really, really nice work being done here!

# 117 Bump101 @ 03/10/09 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
Sliders, Sliders, and more Sliders!!

Seriously the more functional Sliders there are will help out a ton

Great batch of info

and another for touch passes
no doubt! I'm more thrilled that they add the option to use the sliders than the actually speed being adjusted. Having the option of adjusting the speed of the game is great, and I'm glad it made it's way back to madden! Great job Ian!

# 118 DolphinDave @ 03/10/09 03:46 AM
Can we use custom sliders for online league play?

# 119 spit_bubble @ 03/10/09 04:13 AM
Some thoughts for all the Madden developers:

You guys aren't creating something real, just the illusion of reality... So really it only needs to closely resemble what the gamer recognizes as football.

In other words, you have some leeway for error, as long as it doesn't ruin the illusion and resemble something other than football.

I studied Art while in college and early American painters were criticized because their paintings had too much detail. They took the time to meticulously fill in everything, leaving nothing to the imagination. Meanwhile their European counterparts better understood the art of perception. They realized that they only needed to provide the proper elements... Those elements which their subject was composed of... And the rest took care of itself, within the viewers mind!

So my advice to you is to concern yourself with the elements of football. Breakdown the game into what it is and what it is trying to be, both in terms of the action on the field and the statistical results. If you can capture those elements properly and with accuracy, you needn't worry about every last minuscule detail.

# 120 Avii @ 03/10/09 04:17 AM
I am worried about player fatigues. I never hear these devs talking about player fatigue. In a realistic game, subs should come in to play too a ton of the time, but the right subs also (not just the 99 rated punter subbing in at LB because he's the next available and the highest rated player on the team).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.