Home
News Post

One of the major criticisms facing NHL 09's recently released patch is how it has allegedly turned the game into a "pansy" representation of the sport, which favors slow, deliberate strategy over the aggressive type of play that dominated the game prior to the second patch.

This article is out to prove those criticisms wrong by showing that, on the contrary, the game still does reward aggressive tactics -- it simply no longer rewards the type of overaggressive tactics that would be blatant penalties at any level of hockey.

So here are a few tips to help gamers keep the pressure on opponents while avoiding the parade to the penalty box.

Read More - NHL 09: How You Can Keep Playing Aggressive Post-Patch

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 LetsGoPitt @ 03/16/09 02:11 PM
I haven't played any incarnation of NHL '09, but it sounds to me that the people who complain about the game post-patch simply don't know much about actual hockey. Everything I've read in this article sounds exactly like how an actual game is played!

# 2 Battlestar @ 03/16/09 02:16 PM
Very good article. I have to give 09 another shot as it seems this patch has fixed my main issues with the game.

# 3 Nomah5 @ 03/16/09 04:10 PM
i have never played a hockey game nor watched more than a handful of games on tV...so I truly dont know the rules and ins and outs of the game. BUT, I think the game is freaking awesome and really enjoy it online. The only thing I cant figure out how to do is...all the time my opponent will come down the ice and fake me one way, lose the puck to the other direction of where i was faked...then get the puck again..its a sick move...any ideas? 360 version. Thanks

# 4 bad_philanthropy @ 03/16/09 04:33 PM
I really enjoy the positional defense aspect of the game post-patch. It's hilarious how many people playing defense online will chase the puck carrier into the corner leaving a soft spot for me to make a play in front of the net.

Using a simple zone coverage with your d-men to defend the the side and front of the net while having your forwards handle the side boards and point is the most effective way of defending in this game. With the defensemen positioned like this it's easy to quickly step up and take the space away from any attacking players that try to cut across into the slot or drive to the net.

Another thing I see online a lot is defensemen chasing me to the boards as soon as I enter the zone. This leaves a huge soft spot in the slot. Try to take control of a winger to take away an attacking player's space as he enters the zone and let your D defend the interior of your zone.

# 5 jyoung @ 03/16/09 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomah5
i have never played a hockey game nor watched more than a handful of games on tV...so I truly dont know the rules and ins and outs of the game. BUT, I think the game is freaking awesome and really enjoy it online. The only thing I cant figure out how to do is...all the time my opponent will come down the ice and fake me one way, lose the puck to the other direction of where i was faked...then get the puck again..its a sick move...any ideas? 360 version. Thanks

Sounds like they are using the "loose puck deke" on you.

The move can be done by holding down the left bumper and pressing the right stick in the direction that you want to deke.

# 6 Gossennator @ 03/16/09 06:46 PM
I think the patch overall fixed a lot of the problems that were occurring but there are still a lot of gameplay things they need to fix to not make everything so...broken. Still best sports game this year IMO though.

# 7 Uncle Stumpy @ 03/16/09 11:30 PM
Awesome article, good tips for people who dont know hockey. My buddy and I who are both hockey nuts have totally different attitudes towards the patches. He hates them because he gets penalty after penalty, i rarely take penalties, and love the patches.

# 8 matt8204 @ 03/17/09 10:45 AM
Great article. I'm so happy with EA's latest patch; I had barely touched the game since buying it in September but now I'm playing every night again.

# 9 canucksss @ 03/17/09 01:02 PM
great read. didnt know about the left trigger thingy. usually i use the right analog stick without using the left trigger. i love positional way of defense, so i really appreciate this patch 2. hopefully with a little polishing in terms of line changes, always put the C in the faceoffs even during 4 on 4, etc., nhl 2010 will be a blast.

# 10 pontiacj @ 03/17/09 01:47 PM
Thanks for the article. Now I can point to this article to the countless people who moan and complain about the patch. Another tool that is available post-patch is the Y-button on board play.

When deep in the zone, behind the goal as a rule of thumb. You can press Y when an opponent has the puck against the boards, triggering the 'holding' animation without getting the penalty. This is effective in lieu of getting a checking from behind penalty when chasing a dumped puck, and more effective in freeing up the puck.

# 11 gman2774 @ 03/17/09 05:05 PM
Awesome article. I was not aware of what vision control did. I think this will help my scoring drought immensely. Since the patch, I've noticed more rebounds but haven't been able to capitalize. Now I know why!!

# 12 matt8204 @ 03/18/09 10:39 AM
Yeah, getting to those rebounds is important. I usually score at least one rebound goal in every online game now.

# 13 StormJH1 @ 03/18/09 12:42 PM
Can somebody post here and try to explain what "Vision Control" does and why that would help with rebounds? This has been a major frustration for me, and EA has had "Vision Control" in there for several years without adequately explaining why you would use it!

# 14 jyoung @ 03/18/09 03:12 PM
Holding down the Vision Control button simply keep your player square to the puck at all times.

On defense, this ensures that your player will always be in front of the puck in position for a poke/deflection.

On offense, it allows you to square your shoulders to the puck so you'll be ready to shoot on your forehand side as soon as the puck touches your stick.

Holding it down on offense also keeps you from doing an accidental cross check when your intent is to shoot.

# 15 StormJH1 @ 03/19/09 02:07 PM
Thank you weeman33! I think I might have to get a piece of duct tape on my LT button and keep it down the whole game, then. (Seriously). The accidental cross checks are KILLING me post-patch b/c half of the fun of this control scheme was mashing on the R stick to try and shoot a puck in a scrum, and that's almost a guaranteed penalty now.

It doesn't come naturally to me to be holding down that button all the time, but if it helps on rebounds and in scrums, it might be worthwhile to learn.

# 16 On Sale @ 07/30/09 01:17 AM
Dude are you kidding me? Hockey is about crazy checking, big hits etc. The game (nhl 09/nhl 10) would be SOOOOO ****ing boring without hitting, boarding, checking from behind etc. So stop whining and go play nba or mlb games if you dont want to be roughed around. I bet you cry about madden, how the hits are too rough right? Give me a break kid!

Back to being On Topic .... NHL 09 is one of the best hockey games ever made. I already have my copy of NHL 10 reserved and so does my brother and I also look forward to picking up NHL2k10 just to see what its all about, although I will be mainly playing NHL10.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.