Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

2K Sports has released some details on patch #2 for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"The patch is almost ready for submission as the final tweaks are being made. From there, it must go through the proper approvals which puts it a minimum of two weeks out. But I did want to share JUST A FEW (read NOT ALL) of the things it will address:

AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
1st baseman stepping off bag has been tweaked
Issues with the pitch overlay hud
Fixed pickoffs, especially to 2nd base
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 brendanrfoley @ 03/23/09 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Can we please stop with this allusion? VC themselves stated they had a full development cycle with 2K9, so this notion they should be given leeway because they didn't is completely false.
Visual Concepts did have a full development cycle, starting with another developer's busted code. In my mind, they do get some slack -- for the mere fact they had to clean up someone else's mess.

# 82 hitstreak13 @ 03/23/09 03:40 AM
I really hope that this patch fixes many of the problems I have been hearing about. I havn't played it so I'll reserve any judgement, but I really want this game to succeed because although I enjoy the Show, variety is the spice of life imo. The good old days of having to choose between 5-6 baseball games are gone, so I truly hope they step up. I will def. give this game a shot once a few kinks are worked out.

# 83 BigH2k6 @ 03/23/09 08:17 AM
Maybe what they mean by HUD is that abomination of a pitching meter. Maybe they decided to remove the yellow and make it a more transparent color

# 84 sportyguyfl31 @ 03/23/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahJay561
Legit gamer, like myself, is one who plays a quality sports title. One who doesn't hope for the best, spend my $60 and then flush my standards down the toilet in hopes of patches to "fix" this possible 9 rated game.

If a game has been released and is in need of two patches within it's first two weeks, there IS NO WAY it can ever reach a rating above 7. F- that. I won't buy the game, cuz at the end of the day 2k doesn't measure their success by the quality of the game they put out, but the numbers it moved. If I sell myself short and support a ****ty game, like folks here are doing, then I can't complain when they put this crap out next year, like they've been doing so with EVERY title.

Then I'm assuming you havent bought a sports title in 3-4 years now.

All of these games have pretty much sucked on ice out of the box, without patches for the past couple of years.

"Legit Gamers"...ROFL....

# 85 rjsuperfly66 @ 03/23/09 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Then I'm assuming you havent bought a sports title in 3-4 years now.

All of these games have pretty much sucked on ice out of the box, without patches for the past couple of years.

"Legit Gamers"...ROFL....
Actually 2k games are the only games like this that are unplayable out of the box(with no sliders, no patches).

Madden has its issues, but I found the game very enjoyable out of the box.

NHL 09 was amazing, as was Fifa.

NBA Live sucks, we can all agree, as for March Madness, but they are playable if you didnt enjoy the potential of 2k basketball.

NBA 2k9 was pretty unplayable. 1) The Computer would be in the paint all game long 2) If you played online people could and still would just play with Lebron or Kobe

MLB is a joke. Thats all we need to say.

So to summarize, EA >>>>> 2k. 3 years ago, 2k >>>>>>>>>>> EA. How the times have turned!

# 86 SoxFan01605 @ 03/23/09 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
Actually 2k games are the only games like this that are unplayable out of the box(with no sliders, no patches).

Madden has its issues, but I found the game very enjoyable out of the box.

NHL 09 was amazing, as was Fifa.

NBA Live sucks, we can all agree, as for March Madness, but they are playable if you didnt enjoy the potential of 2k basketball.

NBA 2k9 was pretty unplayable. 1) The Computer would be in the paint all game long 2) If you played online people could and still would just play with Lebron or Kobe

MLB is a joke. Thats all we need to say.

So to summarize, EA >>>>> 2k. 3 years ago, 2k >>>>>>>>>>> EA. How the times have turned!
And yet EA has nothing to do with any of this. So, this is basically just another rant about 2K. Got it.

# 87 Smitty730 @ 03/23/09 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
The correct cliche is "the tide has turned"

# 88 notasenator @ 03/24/09 09:52 AM
Look at the way that time is rotating to indicate change.

# 89 rjsuperfly66 @ 03/24/09 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
And yet EA has nothing to do with any of this. So, this is basically just another rant about 2K. Got it.
Actually, it has everything to do with this. One dude said every sports game needs a patch to make it playable. However, in a respectful manner, I showed why I disagree. Its just a response to an ignorant post.

# 90 FenwayMac @ 03/24/09 11:52 AM
So, when the patch does arrive, will it just update my xbox at the beginning of the game, or will I need to go to 2k share to snag it?

Also, are we anticipating these changes are really going to affect the 3.0 version sliders that I have been using? Or are we just talking minimal effects?

Thanks!

# 91 brendanrfoley @ 03/24/09 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
So, when the patch does arrive, will it just update my xbox at the beginning of the game, or will I need to go to 2k share to snag it?

Also, are we anticipating these changes are really going to affect the 3.0 version sliders that I have been using? Or are we just talking minimal effects?

Thanks!
As long as you're connected to the internet when you start the game, it will automatically download.

# 92 boomhauertjs @ 03/24/09 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac

Thanks!
I would assume that the sliders are going to need to be re-done if the AI aggresiveness is being addressed in the patch.

# 93 StormJH1 @ 03/24/09 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Visual Concepts did have a full development cycle, starting with another developer's busted code. In my mind, they do get some slack -- for the mere fact they had to clean up someone else's mess.
Partially agree, though whether or not VC "deserves some slack" is a totally separate issue from whether or not their product is worth my money. In this case, I determined that it was (just barely), but also note that if Patch #2 doesn't address the glaring flaws with basic elements of gameplay, I'll be trading this thing in and recouping at least $30 of my purchase. That also puts another used copy of the game back into the stream of commerce, which means one less sale of the retail copy of the game (which is all that matters from 2k's financial standpoint).

Regardless of whether or not it was a "full development cycle", there's something to be said for actually getting games out onto the market and having users act as super beta testers. Madden '06 and '07 likely had "full development cycles" but EA Tiburon still needed to experience the failures of those titles before they were "corrected" in '08/09.

VC probably should have done a better job anticipating these problems and testing for them, but I do see this as distinct product from 2k7 and 2k8 in the way it plays and presents itself, and out of those 3 games, I far prefer what they tried to do with this one.

# 94 Spectre @ 03/24/09 04:14 PM
It's kinda like Madden- both series can only get so far on their inherently flawed engines. The most we can hope for is a gutting and re-writing for the next gen.

# 95 Wizeguy @ 03/24/09 09:06 PM
So how soon can we expect the 2nd patch because i refuse to turn the game on until this happens.

# 96 SoxFan01605 @ 03/24/09 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeguy
So how soon can we expect the 2nd patch because i refuse to turn the game on until this happens.
Possibly in a couple weeks. Possibly longer. It really will end up depending on MS and Sony (and I doubt the PC one is released before the console ones are).

# 97 Skyboxer @ 03/24/09 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I agree with everything you've said, except this. Sports games (especially baseball) games are not system sellers. I want games that cater to sim players too, but I think it takes two things: thoughtful developers and a gaming community (like us) willing to give constructive feedback and cry out (within reason) when wronged.
BR was a nice addition BUT if there was no "The Show" I would not have a PS3.

# 98 Bruin26 @ 03/24/09 10:40 PM
Wow if they are able to fix those things I will be very happy. I have been having fun with the game, but several of those issues have made me pretty frustrated at times. I will probably end up starting over on my sliders since so many of my slider tweaks were to help eliviate a lot of those issues mentioned. I know the AI aggressiveness in hotting is a big one for everyone and it is me, but man does the outfielder errors frusutrate the heck out of me too. Balls just bouncing off the fielder when you are in the perfect position makes me think I am playing a little league game not a MLB game. In my A's franchise Matt Holliday had 7 errors in the first 8 games. 6 of them like I just described, only one was a throwing error that was my fault. It made me make my errors down to 0 because any other level wouldn't make it stop. But then of course I probably don't have enough errors now because of it, so that fix will be good.

# 99 Alai @ 03/25/09 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH2k6
Maybe what they mean by HUD is that abomination of a pitching meter. Maybe they decided to remove the yellow and make it a more transparent color
Heh I wish. I'm sure they're talking about some people playing online who are having problems where the pitching hud disappears after subbing in a new pitcher.

But I like your idea better.

# 100 vince1234 @ 03/25/09 08:50 AM
Does anyone know if the animations will be cleaned up with this patch? I would think so. Its funny everytime they cut to the pitcher or he throws it to a base and the ball gets thrown back to the pitcher, he always walks off and around the mound..lol thats needs to be cleaned up amongst other things you guys already know Also, players animations that slides in to thier postions like they are walking on water needs to be fixed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.