Home
News Post

If you have been paying attention to the community’s efforts to tweak NBA 2K9 during the past few months, you probably noticed that Neon1, one of the hardest-working NBA 2K community members, redid the ratings and tendencies for every player and coach in the game.

As someone who had previously shelved NBA 2K9 out of frustration, I was initially excited to sit down and try this tweaked version of NBA 2K9 now that March Madness is in full bloom.

But after only a few games as my underachieving Grizzlies -- who have actually gotten a lot better, ratings-wise, since I last touched the game -- it became clear to me that the same opinion I had formed a few months ago still holds true:

NBA 2K9 is a mess, and no amount of slider tweaking or roster editing can save it.

So, in the first of a two-part series, I am here to explain why I have given up on NBA hoops this year, and I am also here to detail what needs to be improved in 2010.

Read More - Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Stumbleweed @ 03/24/09 03:59 PM
Yeah, losing one of the best 2K contributors for the last 5 years speaks volumes about this game... Just sad that people who know so much about the game and love the series so much feel that they can't play the game without being frustrated/disgusted to the core. That says a lot more about the game than the increased sales do, that's for damn sure. When the complaint threads are mostly started by people who know the game inside and out and have been loyal to the series, you know something is askew.

# 22 GSW @ 03/24/09 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Yeah, losing one of the best 2K contributors for the last 5 years speaks volumes about this game... Just sad that people who know so much about the game and love the series so much feel that they can't play the game without being frustrated/disgusted to the core. That says a lot more about the game than the increased sales do, that's for damn sure. When the complaint threads are mostly started by people who know the game inside and out and have been loyal to the series, you know something is askew.
nah.

were all just haters... and live fanboys.

I mean my personal thoughts on this game have been made known since day 1...

Ive gone back to playing, but i find it hard to even finish games now without just being frustrated as hell.

So i chose not to play, i don't want to play a videogame and get mad at foolishness...just not worth it anymore...i really hope they fix the game, as we have outlined all the issues that need adressing, and i understand the staff is limited but...as long as the focus goes to core gameplay and CONTROL, and smart A.I, then all will be forgotten next year.

and the only reaosn why "we" complain is because the bar was raised high from last year, and this years even tho there are some things different and better, OVERALL just came up WAY short of that bar...and im talking WAY short.

Im sure people are having fun with the game though, i mean when i play it ever couple weeks i can have fun for maybe a game or two...but then...well n/m i wont even go there again.

im praying that next years game is better, but its not getting my $60 Day 1 any more like it did last year...heck no.

# 23 lasthour @ 03/24/09 04:21 PM
I am gonna have to agree with everyone else. The game is very frustrating because it is so close to playing a great game of basketball, but the defense and a few other things are seriously flawed.

It is like I can feel the game cheating. I would rather have a simpler game that is fun and balanced. Same for football. After playing SF4 and LOW its like I can feel how overly complicated and un-fun these sports games have gotten.

# 24 amedawg00 @ 03/24/09 04:22 PM
Join a league with other fellow sim ballers and STFU. This game is amazing when played with other HUMANS. Stop complaining and step your game up. I am sick and tired of all the bashing. 2k9 is the crown jewel of basketball games; because it has a high learning curve and the manual doesn't do it justice, people cry like little girls over issues that are overcome with superior stick skills and knowledge about the control configurations.

# 25 sportyguyfl31 @ 03/24/09 04:22 PM
I agree...this game made me ANGRY.

When a game does that, there's absolutely no reason to play it.

I gave it every shot I could, but this game literally made me hate basketball, whenever I played it.

# 26 GSW @ 03/24/09 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
Join a league with other fellow sim ballers and STFU. This game is amazing when played with other HUMANS. Stop complaining and step your game up. I am sick and tired of all the bashing. 2k9 is the crown jewel of basketball games; because it has a high learning curve and the manual doesn't do it justice, people cry like little girls over issues that are overcome with superior stick skills and knowledge about the control configurations.

can we archive this post.

I mean its obvious he read the OP article, and put such thought into his response, i feel like others need to see his post and use it as the "Model Prayer" when replying to threads like this in the future.

It is so constructive and on point with the ongoing discussion...

Mods?

# 27 Stumbleweed @ 03/24/09 04:28 PM
Quote:
Uh yeah, these issues don't just magically disappear when you're playing another human. We all know how to play the game, and most of us have been involved in sim leagues for years (myself included, a now-former member of Extreme Sims, Elite Sims, and Total Sim franchises). I can play my friends and the game is still inherently frustrating due to the litany of issues it has -- people can play totally realistically and there is still crazy bull**** like clipping, warping, and moronic teammate AI going on constantly.

It's great that you like the game, but coming into this thread with a bunch of respected posters who have contributed a lot to the game over the past 3+ years and telling them to "STFU" and "step your game up" is unproductive at best.

LOL @ GSW... that sarcasm is so thick... when I breathe in, I can taste it.

# 28 spankdatazz22 @ 03/24/09 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Look at it like this. No momentus videos this year, and you have DC of all people saying he may be spending more time in the live forums... surely the world is at an end as we know it...
That'd be preferable - I'd love to see him in the Live forums holding that game to the same standard/same set of expectations, and see what gets said.

I can't speak to any enjoyment/lack of enjoyment Momentous has had, but he's posted long videos of his online games with people that have been enjoyable to watch (of the ones I've seen). Personally the overall tone of the the forums - and perhaps the site itself - where's there seems to be more emphasis placed on what might happen or what we might see in the future makes having thoughtful debates difficult. I can understand people being frustrated but I don't understand the mostly pessimistic tone some people take given the game's history. I think that's contributed a lot to people not posting.

Personally I absolutely love the game, particularly post-patch. And marvel at how well the game flows when tweaked to personal tastes. But I'm not analyzing or judging it on the level some are, where some seem frustrated because 2K tried to make the game more accessible and would rather 2K stuck to a more rigid structure.

# 29 ex carrabba fan @ 03/24/09 04:46 PM
What's up with OP's thing under his name "Steve says I'm pitiful"? Anyone care to explain that.

And didn't OP's name used to be red? How is it white, that's wild IMO.

# 30 DC @ 03/24/09 05:20 PM
Quote:
Always the answer to everything

# 31 Behindshadows @ 03/24/09 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Despite all the things it does right the games flaws make trying to play it for me waaayyy to frustrating. they missed the mark this year.

No sugar can coat that. Lets not baby them. They had a great year in sales but muffed the delivery. I was severly dissappointed in this years game. How is it that I have not even played 10 games from beginning to end of my favorite hoop series. Every few weeks I try and go back but despite all the beauty and the depth of the franchise the gameplay itself is off.

Look at it like this. No momentus videos this year, and you have DC of all people saying he may be spending more time in the live forums... surely the world is at an end as we know it...
200% agree I've barely finished 8 total games just to get achievements and even if I win I'm pissed on how much I had to tolerate to get that win.

# 32 23 @ 03/24/09 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW

can we archive this post.

I mean its obvious he read the OP article, and put such thought into his response, i feel like others need to see his post and use it as the "Model Prayer" when replying to threads like this in the future.

It is so constructive and on point with the ongoing discussion...

Mods?
None of that in this thread sir.. anyone following his lead will be taken care of

# 33 Rocky @ 03/24/09 06:10 PM
2K8....better defensive AI?

NBA 2K8....better defense?

# 34 ronyell @ 03/24/09 06:20 PM
i am dumbfounded by all the "i-cant-take-another-second-of-nba2k9" talk!!! yes it has it's issues but DAMN... it's not THAT bad & is still the best option.

yes EA has some very innovative ground work to build on BUT there is a reason all of you "2k players" switched from Live in the first place! MAAAAYBEEE they have changed there motto.... MAAAYBEEE they have finally done something to make their product better (after taking 5 years 2 do-so)

BUT 2k has OBVIOUSLY been listening & fixing!

LIVE MADE SUCH A HUGE JUMP ONLY BECAUSE THEY WERE THAT FAR BEHIND!

would we have rather had the "gradual fixing & new concepts" each year that 2k does that is which specific to our complaints
or
Live's yearly ignoring of what there fans desire & then FINALLY fixing something and interacting after a 6 years & come off smelling like a bed of roses.

IM SO CONFUSED! i'm not saying that 2k9 doesn't have problams BUT they do not outweigh the positives & the 2k mods fix our gripes or as another poster stated "we would still be complaining about the same things from last year!"

i still love the game... i do wish that some things get fixed pronto... i expect that they will because they always address problem... & even though i long for the day of a "perfect-out-the-box" b-ball game; i know that is not reality... a lot of this bashing is slighty understandable but not warranted & definitley not to the level of:
"I CAN"T PLAY THIS GAME AT ALL!"

we will see the majority of you whining & complaining or praising and posting in excitement about NBA 2K next year... & the year after... & the year after

# 35 Behindshadows @ 03/24/09 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
2K8....better defensive AI?

NBA 2K8....better defense?

Your post are getting more mediocre by the second with none facts.

Fact is Defense was better in 2k8 along with the sliding less of a factor or the clipping. Sad thing is I have proof. Enjoy OS for here is the proof that 2k9 stepped backwards, not forward and is terrible and justifying even more what Chris said!

NBA 2k8

Watch NBA 2k8 - Xbox 360 - Gameplay in NBA  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

NBA 2k9

Watch NBA 2k9 - ALL-STAR GAME 2009 in Gaming  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

# 36 DC @ 03/24/09 06:21 PM
^ Whats funny about that statement? Do you not see how mentally ******** the defense is in 2K9?

# 37 Jeffx @ 03/24/09 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Great post, 2K9 was a major disappointment. It's such a pretty game but the gameplay and basketball fundamentals are atrocious. Your defensive points are the most important IMO. Defense in 2K9 is bad, bad and bad. The animations are another major gripe I had, glad you mentioned that as well.
Co-sign.

# 38 Rocky @ 03/24/09 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
^ Whats funny about that statement? Do you not see how mentally ******** the defense is in 2K9?
I don't need to see videos, I know how crappy NBA2K8's defense is just by playing it (which I do routinely).

Yes, NBA2K9 has those super annoying sliding, flying to the basket animations that are not in 2K8 that much (but are in 2K7), but that has nothing to do with defensive AI.

Defensive AI was terrible in NBA2K8. Do you remember the unstoppable pick and rolls? Tyson Chandler going 15 for 15 routinely because there was not proper collision and animations under the goal to contest shots? Brent Barry going 10 for 14 from 3 because of there was not proper rotation when people left there man (NBA2K9 solved this, but not in the right way)? CPU not paying attention to defenders being 100x's worse?

Trust me, NBA2K9's defensive AI is no shining piece of gold, but every problem that was in 2K9 was in 2K8 and then alot more. (the switching problem of 2K9 was just the opposite in 2K8. Both of them were bad, but I prefered 2K8's.)

The big difference is....the CPU offense is more competent on higher levels. Which is to be expected when the computer is meant to be hard, not realistic.

# 39 DC @ 03/24/09 07:03 PM
At least we had a COllision Detection Slider.

The Pick N Roll Defense was bad because the passing game was worse last year than what it is this year

# 40 Da_Czar @ 03/24/09 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
where some seem frustrated because 2K tried to make the game more accessible and would rather 2K stuck to a more rigid structure.
Spank Personaly I have NO issues with them making the game more accessible but you can't do that in a manner that goes against the fundamentals of the game to where people who really understand the sport are not able to use real strategy that they could use in previous years in this years game.

The game did get much better post patch. but 2k were never really those guys man... not the last few years anyway where the game was so flawed right out of the box that the patch was needed to "save" the game. ( i know everyone does not feel that way)

@ Ronyell

I feel you but something feels very different this year to me man. Any other year I would be with you saying you know what your right but from their gaffs pre launch with the 2k insider and their "dna is nothing wait till you see what we have got" comment this summer 2k's game is off.

If yall remember after seeing the first video I was like ...ehhhh

We all know what a leap they made when super b came over and the game got better each year. If you recall the main one interacting with us mostly at least with me anyway was super b.

hear me out on this now. I am not making the one man developer type of argument but here we have him gone for the first whole development cycle and the fundamentals of the game are just not what we are used to and the game has more holes than usual in areas that weren't necessarily a problem in the past...

I look at that and I can't just go off the same old arguments we used before. Can this group at 2k regroup ??? do they even feel like they have to ????

These are the questions that I haven't asked about 2k since nba 2k4...

Then you look at the competition who is focused, hungry, full of resourses and their free agent game is lethal ...LOL .

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.