Home
News Post

If you have been paying attention to the community’s efforts to tweak NBA 2K9 during the past few months, you probably noticed that Neon1, one of the hardest-working NBA 2K community members, redid the ratings and tendencies for every player and coach in the game.

As someone who had previously shelved NBA 2K9 out of frustration, I was initially excited to sit down and try this tweaked version of NBA 2K9 now that March Madness is in full bloom.

But after only a few games as my underachieving Grizzlies -- who have actually gotten a lot better, ratings-wise, since I last touched the game -- it became clear to me that the same opinion I had formed a few months ago still holds true:

NBA 2K9 is a mess, and no amount of slider tweaking or roster editing can save it.

So, in the first of a two-part series, I am here to explain why I have given up on NBA hoops this year, and I am also here to detail what needs to be improved in 2010.

Read More - Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 ronyell @ 03/27/09 03:03 PM
i understand the traveling point but the "0 understanding"?... COME ON!

# 82 DC @ 03/27/09 03:25 PM
Disrespect for fundementals (basics/physics/logic)

1. Going for steals constantly doesn't fatigue a player quicker
2. Full court pressure doesn't fatigue players as they should
3. Crossing over constantly with non-ball handlers result in no penalty
4. Contesting shots usually have little to no affect on the probability of a shot going in.

I can go on.......

# 83 DC @ 03/27/09 03:31 PM
Quote:

See things like this. A jumping between the legs pass? Come on 2K. Whenever they put stuff in the game like this, I think to myself, "Who are they marketing to."

This bothers me.

# 84 GSW @ 03/27/09 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
Disrespect for fundementals (basics/physics/logic)

1. Going for steals constantly doesn't fatigue a player quicker
2. Full court pressure doesn't fatigue players as they should
3. Crossing over constantly with non-ball handlers result in no penalty
4. Contesting shots usually have little to no affect on the probability of a shot going in.

I can go on.......
I'll continue.

5. poor positional defense allowing men to cut to the basket relentlessly resulting in dunks and layups
6. defenders never see "ball and man"
7. clipping in all instances
8. not being able to tip the ball loose as the ball handler is dribbling directly in front of you
9. what was the point of lock on d again?
10. point guard running under the basket after a missed shot
11. the auto switch on d...wtf?

who wants the baton next?

# 85 jyoung @ 03/27/09 03:54 PM
Exactly.

You'll see more defensive fundamentals in an ages-10-and-under church league game than you will on an NBA 2K9 court.

For a video game that's aiming to be a "simulation" of its sport, that sort of situation is unacceptable.

# 86 DC @ 03/27/09 03:57 PM
12. Taking OUT the collision detection slider

Either take OFF the title as, "#1 Basketball Simulation," or change things to reward folks that play BASKETBALL

# 87 spankdatazz22 @ 03/27/09 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

His comment was over the top if we get into linguistics, but he does have a point if you look past it. I wouldn't quickly group his comments with those that I was referring to earlier...
That's understood. But there's also the aspect where people feel the need to make the "attention grabber" comment, seemingly for effect or to emphasize a point. It just happens to often here - the game's positives really outweigh it's negatives, particularly when compared to other sports games. Yet people will latch onto the things they perceive the game doesn't do well, won't apply those same standards to other games, and will try to use it to make a statement about the game's overall quality.

# 88 GSW @ 03/27/09 04:08 PM
13. indiviual defense does not matter...Shane Battier = Ricky Davis...Ricky is actually better in the game on offense since he can dunk.

14. Defenders recover from crossovers and pump fakes far too quickly resulting in huge clusters of grown men in the lane while the offensive player is driving to the basket...

15. the snail like pace at which "plays" are run...

oh i was supposed to pass the baton.. im sorry.

# 89 GSW @ 03/27/09 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That's understood. But there's also the aspect where people feel the need to make the "attention grabber" comment, seemingly for effect or to emphasize a point. It just happens to often here - the game's positives really outweigh it's negatives, particularly when compared to other sports games. Yet people will latch onto the things they perceive the game doesn't do well, won't apply those same standards to other games, and will try to use it to make a statement about the game's overall quality.
see its comments like this that get me...

you say the games positives outweigh the negatives...

maybe for you... but that is not a fact its an opinion...

far to often on both sides of the argument about this game peopel relay thier personal opinion as fact...

the facts laid out about defense in this game to me make the game unplayable at points, i had to turn the game off midway thru a game last ngiht because i just coudlnt deal with it anymore.

now maybe that doesnt bother you, maybe you dont expeirence the issues, maybe youre okay with it and can live with the pretty animations... i cant though and i wont...

this isnt one of those "all games arent perfect" discussions either.... so dont go there.

this game is not as good as it should and could have been...far too many people are commenting about it to ignore that fact.

this has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OTHER GAME.

we are talking about 2k basketball.

# 90 Pared @ 03/27/09 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Exactly.

You'll see more defensive fundamentals in an ages-10-and-under church league game than you will on an NBA 2K9 court.

For a video game that's aiming to be a "simulation" of its sport, that sort of situation is unacceptable.
Yes the ridiculous exaggeration gets your point across. Because, like you said, "10 and under church kids" have more defensive fundamentals.

It's one thing to make your point, like others are doing; It's another to throw out ridiculous statements like you are doing.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're just being foolish now. A minor adjustment to the defense and the game becomes infinitely better. You don't make a minor adjustment and the game goes from "unacceptable" to "having a solid grasp of the fundamentals," which is what your over the top statement is implying.

It's guys that feel the need to make ridiculous comments like this to get their point across that end up being counter productive to their objective. I wouldn't take anything you say seriously if you can't get your point across without being melodramatic.

Thankfully others in the forum don't need to. I'm sure the devs will respond as they have every single other year.

# 91 Pared @ 03/27/09 04:34 PM
For the record, if you're strictly an offline player you'll see these issues more than if you played online. Perhaps there needs to be a more decisive look at the CPU AI's defense.

Head to head, most of the defensive problems are moot since you're collapsing on the ball anyway.

# 92 GSW @ 03/27/09 04:38 PM
Quote:
For the record, if you're strictly an offline player you'll see these issues more than if you played online. Perhaps there needs to be a more decisive look at the CPU AI's defense.

Head to head, most of the defensive problems are moot since you're collapsing on the ball anyway.
most people dont play online.

i mean i dont, i have a ps3 its online play is incredibly laggy and almost unplayable.

i have no choice but to play the computer if i want to enjoy videogame basketball.

# 93 Pared @ 03/27/09 04:42 PM
Not simply online, but head to head as well. I'm not saying one is better than the other; Simply making a statement.

I'm putting you on the spot What would you do differently with the defensive AI? In fact, opening up the question to everyone: What would you expect to see in 2k10 from the defensive AI that would make you happy as opposed to what you see from the CPU this year?

# 94 ronyell @ 03/27/09 04:47 PM
i get ur point GSW & i normally find ur posts very insightful & in line with what i also think but calling the game unplayable is also an opinion.

since the name of this THREAD is " Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 ", this will be my last post in it & i will refer to the NBA2K9 thread.

but i just find it funny how everyone here is complaining SO much about the game yet they are still playing it. should i recite the title of this thread again?

if i hated going to the club.......... i would stop going... and so if 2k9 is unplayable.... _____________

we do this every year, i understand the concern & am annoyed some of the same things as most of u posters here but UNPLAYABLE i just cant co-sign!

so once again i say everyone keep saying how you hate 2k9 & can't play it anymore & i will see you in the NBK2K10 review threads, roster threads & everything else

# 95 DC @ 03/27/09 04:52 PM
Quote:
What would you expect to see in 2k10 from the defensive AI that would make you happy as opposed to what you see from the CPU this year?
1. Stop switching in situations in which they shouldn't switch. We know the issues with the CPU switching for no reason

2. Help defense

That covers a lot of issues right there

# 96 GSW @ 03/27/09 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
i get ur point GSW & i normally find ur posts very insightful & in line with what i also think but calling the game unplayable is also an opinion.

since the name of this THREAD is " Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 ", this will be my last post in it & i will refer to the NBA2K9 thread.

but i just find it funny how everyone here is complaining SO much about the game yet they are still playing it. should i recite the title of this thread again?

if i hated going to the club.......... i would stop going... and so if 2k9 is unplayable.... _____________

we do this every year, i understand the concern & am annoyed some of the same things as most of u posters here but UNPLAYABLE i just cant co-sign!

so once again i say everyone keep saying how you hate 2k9 & can't play it anymore & i will see you in the NBK2K10 review threads, roster threads & everything else
i said it was unplayable to me... which meant i was making an opinion.

i tihnk the most frustrating part about the game...to me... is that its so visually pretty and the animations are on point it kinda draws you into playing it... and then.. for me... things start happening during the game that just ruin the experience...for me.

@ Pared: you really want to go down that road?.... i mean it is a slow day at work but i didnt really feel like typing an essay... id tell DJones,MrPeete, and ZT, to check the old bug database from 2k3-2k7 on all the waived gameplay issues regarding defense.

but if you want me to answer your question directly and very broadly... I just want there to be a difference i can see and feel when im actually playing defense with a good defender vs a bad defender... i want to be able to run back on defense and have the ability to stop a post player from just getting to whatever spot he wants to.

I want to force someone to a spot on the court and make him beat me from that spot...a la Shane Battier...

Not just lock on d which is just a visual icon on the screen to something that was already in the game since 2k3.

I want visual on the ball pressure that i can control...(not be locked into animations liek live 09 is)... Honestly i just want to be able to play sound fundamental positional NBA defense with the players who do it in real life...im being very broad right now because liek i said i dont want to go into a detailed essay, but thats the basic premise of what i personally want.

And i want the computer to do the same to me... its like this game needs Insiders Edge...

# 97 ronyell @ 03/27/09 05:06 PM
Quote:
1. Stop switching in situations in which they shouldn't switch. We know the issues with the CPU switching for no reason
Quote:

2. Help defense

said i would stay away but i just couldn't ... the switching issue is one of those "happy medium" things IMO.

all the crazy switching seems to happen because of the PG automatically running ALL the way to the paint to fix the fast break issue from last year... they just over did it. they also switch because the help D DOES come but the problem is that when that help D comes they are unaware of where the ballhandler is & where THIER man is & the relation between the 2. then they go into that animation & switch defenders. (that to me sounds like an EASY fix for next yera... it was trial & error)

if anything i think the defensive awarness rating should be more defined and noticeable to solve some of the issues otside of foot planting issues & collision detection being taken out.

# 98 GSW @ 03/27/09 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
said i would stay away but i just couldn't ... the switching issue is one of those "happy medium" things IMO.

all the crazy switching seems to happen because of the PG automatically running ALL the way to the paint to fix the fast break issue from last year... they just over did it. they also switch because the help D DOES come but the problem is that when that help D comes they are unaware of where the ballhandler is & where THIER man is & the relation between the 2. then they go into that animation & switch defenders. (that to me sounds like an EASY fix for next yera... it was trial & error)

if anything i think the defensive awarness rating should be more defined and noticeable to solve some of the issues otside of foot planting issues & collision detection being taken out.
it also happens in half court sets if the computer doesnt feel you are guarding your man close enough.

Re: ratings... i personally think they shoudl re-do the ratings system completly like live as it would help distinguish whats what...I mean you cant even sit here and tell me 100% what defensive and offensive awareness even do.

I'm not entirely sure what needs to take place for that to happen, but those wheels should defintely be in motion IMO.

# 99 jyoung @ 03/27/09 05:51 PM
Quote:
Yes the ridiculous exaggeration gets your point across. Because, like you said, "10 and under church kids" have more defensive fundamentals.

It's one thing to make your point, like others are doing; It's another to throw out ridiculous statements like you are doing.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're just being foolish now. A minor adjustment to the defense and the game becomes infinitely better. You don't make a minor adjustment and the game goes from "unacceptable" to "having a solid grasp of the fundamentals," which is what your over the top statement is implying.

It's guys that feel the need to make ridiculous comments like this to get their point across that end up being counter productive to their objective. I wouldn't take anything you say seriously if you can't get your point across without being melodramatic.

I'm not exaggerating or being melodramatic.

When I say that the game has zero defensive fundamentals, it's because I cannot think of a single thing that is does right in that area.

And by right, I don't mean "better than last year" or "better than Live," I mean falling in line with the fundamentals of basketball.

Same for the church league comparison. I speak from experience as a former player and a current coach in that environment, and I can tell you that the kids in those leagues know more about the fundamentals of defensive basketball than anyone of your AI teammates/opponents do in NBA 2K9.

# 100 Rocky @ 03/27/09 06:20 PM
Quote:

2. Help defense

I would HATE to see them implement this for the sake of implementing this. If they're going to do it, they need to do it right. NBA2K8 and NBA Live tried to fix flesh wounds with band-aids.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.