Home
News Post

If you have been paying attention to the community’s efforts to tweak NBA 2K9 during the past few months, you probably noticed that Neon1, one of the hardest-working NBA 2K community members, redid the ratings and tendencies for every player and coach in the game.

As someone who had previously shelved NBA 2K9 out of frustration, I was initially excited to sit down and try this tweaked version of NBA 2K9 now that March Madness is in full bloom.

But after only a few games as my underachieving Grizzlies -- who have actually gotten a lot better, ratings-wise, since I last touched the game -- it became clear to me that the same opinion I had formed a few months ago still holds true:

NBA 2K9 is a mess, and no amount of slider tweaking or roster editing can save it.

So, in the first of a two-part series, I am here to explain why I have given up on NBA hoops this year, and I am also here to detail what needs to be improved in 2010.

Read More - Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Pared @ 04/02/09 09:50 AM
This is a good discussion, overall. I'm sure it will help shape 2k10.

For those that are simply interested in single player... I'm pretty sure your cries have been heard.

As for multi-player, it's still one of the better games out there. Ultimately though, you still need to throw in a few slider tweaks to get a more realistic representation of the game. Shooting sliders on default are just still too high.

# 142 Pared @ 04/02/09 10:54 AM
I have some other minor changes but this isn't a slider thread. I'm just giving you guys a base to work off of...

Glad you like them. Shooting %'s are always pretty respectable at the end of the game. No more high %'s like default...

# 143 DC @ 04/02/09 11:29 AM
Just hope we have a way to challenge shots without jumping. Hope that cry is heard LOL

# 144 luv_mist @ 04/02/09 11:44 AM
And the freaking stats for the shots going in when the clock is 6 seconds or lower is just impossible to ignore. That irks me. Do you guys feel like the stars aren't really as aggressive as they could be? Meaning that the computer uses them generally but doesn't use them like they play in reality?

Also, I must agree that this article was a great article and the thread is pretty good. Don't have that many in depth conversations like this on OS lately.

# 145 Pared @ 04/02/09 11:51 AM
Yeah, the stars certainly should be more aggressive. Some things that can be done to enhance the user's experience as well... we shall see.

# 146 DC @ 04/02/09 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
And the freaking stats for the shots going in when the clock is 6 seconds or lower is just impossible to ignore. That irks me.
Really annoying. Has been in the system since 2K1.

Time for a change

# 147 Stumbleweed @ 04/02/09 01:30 PM
As far as that glitchy 3-point move, to engage that animation, it's easiest to tap X when you're on the move and then use the shot stick quickly afterwards to finish it. Sometimes you get another animation, but it's either the one shown or a little flip shot kind of thing (still basically an up-and-under). It's pretty money though -- I haven't seen any threes go in from that (most people don't do that move that far out), but I'm sure it happens, given the video.

# 148 DC @ 04/02/09 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
As far as that glitchy 3-point move, to engage that animation, it's easiest to tap X when you're on the move and then use the shot stick quickly afterwards to finish it. Sometimes you get another animation, but it's either the one shown or a little flip shot kind of thing (still basically an up-and-under). It's pretty money though -- I haven't seen any threes go in from that (most people don't do that move that far out), but I'm sure it happens, given the video.
Someone seems to know the ins and outs of this "glitch"

# 149 Stumbleweed @ 04/02/09 03:43 PM
Haha, I just know how to use that move in the video (thanks to that momentous .gif of LeBron from early in the year). I've never triggered it outside the 3PT line I don't think... but yeah, the success rate for that move is higher than it probably should be. And everyone can do it, which is just plain unrealistic... I can do that move with Kwame and hit it at well over 50%. Can't say I'd really call it a "glitch", but they should definitely limit that move so it's only able to be done from FT-line extended and in while becoming less-successsful the farther you go out.

# 150 luv_mist @ 04/02/09 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Haha, I just know how to use that move in the video (thanks to that momentous .gif of LeBron from early in the year). I've never triggered it outside the 3PT line I don't think... but yeah, the success rate for that move is higher than it probably should be. And everyone can do it, which is just plain unrealistic... I can do that move with Kwame and hit it at well over 50%. Can't say I'd really call it a "glitch", but they should definitely limit that move so it's only able to be done from FT-line extended and in while becoming less-successsful the farther you go out.
They need to implement some sort of system where some guys can pull off that move at anytime. Kwame SHOULD NOT be pulling that crap off in practice, let alone a game. Am I wrong for stating that? I'm still trying to figure out when they'll implement the post game where they have three different styles (Carmelo with the speed, Shaq with the strength, Duncan with the finesse). Am I dreaming or was that suppose to be implemented in one of the games from previous years??

# 151 Rawdeal28 @ 04/03/09 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
I'll continue.

5. poor positional defense allowing men to cut to the basket relentlessly resulting in dunks and layups
6. defenders never see "ball and man"
7. clipping in all instances
8. not being able to tip the ball loose as the ball handler is dribbling directly in front of you
9. what was the point of lock on d again?
10. point guard running under the basket after a missed shot
11. the auto switch on d...wtf?

who wants the baton next?
lol i especially agree with #5. its just straight ******** how many dunks people get from driving to the hoop. and its all because of........................(next post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
12. Taking OUT the collision detection slider

Either take OFF the title as, "#1 Basketball Simulation," or change things to reward folks that play BASKETBALL
agree 100%

why the hell did they take it out? i couldnt fit on the disc? please 2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That's understood. But there's also the aspect where people feel the need to make the "attention grabber" comment, seemingly for effect or to emphasize a point. It just happens to often here - the game's positives really outweigh it's negatives, particularly when compared to other sports games. Yet people will latch onto the things they perceive the game doesn't do well, won't apply those same standards to other games, and will try to use it to make a statement about the game's overall quality.
the complaining is getting out of hand. its still a great game. i get frustrated too at the game (especially lately) but its no reason to scream the game has "0 fundamentals". people need to get a grip.

good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
13. indiviual defense does not matter...Shane Battier = Ricky Davis...Ricky is actually better in the game on offense since he can dunk.

14. Defenders recover from crossovers and pump fakes far too quickly resulting in huge clusters of grown men in the lane while the offensive player is driving to the basket...

15. the snail like pace at which "plays" are run...

oh i was supposed to pass the baton.. im sorry.
and dont forget the offensive player always has a better chance of getting the rebound cuz his animation finishes before the defender. annoying as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
For the record, if you're strictly an offline player you'll see these issues more than if you played online. Perhaps there needs to be a more decisive look at the CPU AI's defense.

Head to head, most of the defensive problems are moot since you're collapsing on the ball anyway.
no i disagree. most of the defensive problems are there head to head. ur cpu teammates act like idiots sometimes and there is nothing u can do since u cant control all 5 players.

Quote:
Not simply online, but head to head as well. I'm not saying one is better than the other; Simply making a statement.

I'm putting you on the spot What would you do differently with the defensive AI? In fact, opening up the question to everyone: What would you expect to see in 2k10 from the defensive AI that would make you happy as opposed to what you see from the CPU this year?
they need to make ur AI teammates smarter. we need to be able to prevent the offensive players from getting to whatever spot they choose to. put the damn collision slider back in the game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timid
You're gonna get flamed for this......I could care less, I'm just warning you.........I don't see all the defensive issues..........I see SOME of them.......Help defense is lacking SOMETIMES.......Its not TOTALLY non-existent like these guys claim....

The PG under the hoop thing shouldn't happen but its hardly that big a deal.....Just switch on him and put him on his man, jeez....

I've been saying this, some of these issues come down to spoiled gamers or either gamers who don't mind putting in some effort to make a game play better because they realize that no game will be perfect but are still very grateful that it comes close...

I'm in the latter category.......Thats why I continuously say you guys act like women because thats that women do......They pick a part every man they meet and nitpick about him, wishing that he was perfect or better than he is.....What the woman should do is either find a man that fits her unrealistic expectations or leave the guy alone....Instead, they just sit around complaining instead of finding other options...

No other options? Maybe you should come back down to reality and appreciate the good things the game does.....Oh wait, according to OS, the only thing the game does well is presentation, lol...

Sig shots suck, defense sucks, isomotion sucks, rebounding sucks, player models suck, etc, etc, blah, blah..........Yawn.......Again, why do some of you continue to play NBA2K9......And please don't say, to find issues because who the hell buys a game just to find issues?

/end rant again

Some of you just find another game and leave this one alone...
good post.

# 152 sportyguyfl31 @ 04/03/09 08:50 AM
Quote:
So is Pro working better for you? If it is, that's great.

Try these for shot success sliders:

42, 48, 47 for both you and the CPU. You will see realistic %'s. No over abundance of shot clock jumpers going in, players missing wide open shots at a realistic clip....

These are the settings I set up our league on as well as my offline sliders. There are some other minor tweaks, but with the living rosters and those shooting sliders, the game will immediately make you feel at home.

I have not changed these settings since October. It really brings out the game's potential, and how the game should have shipped in the beginning.

I also personally like the speed at 47. (Again, what we use in the league)

Hope this helps.

Ive been using nogsters sliders from 2k share, but at the pro difficulty level.

It's restored my sanity in the handful of games Ive palyed with them.

IF I force a guy who I want to shoot into a shot out of his range, or force a bad shot, I'm actually being rewarded for it more often...but it isnt a cake walk by any stretch..playing D with the Knicks aint easy!

# 153 DC @ 04/04/09 11:01 AM
Quote:
So is Pro working better for you? If it is, that's great.

Try these for shot success sliders:

42, 48, 47 for both you and the CPU. You will see realistic %'s. No over abundance of shot clock jumpers going in, players missing wide open shots at a realistic clip....

These are the settings I set up our league on as well as my offline sliders. There are some other minor tweaks, but with the living rosters and those shooting sliders, the game will immediately make you feel at home.

I have not changed these settings since October. It really brings out the game's potential, and how the game should have shipped in the beginning.

I also personally like the speed at 47. (Again, what we use in the league)

Hope this helps.
Sorry but that is bull. THis game loves heros. I have played folks with these sliders online and it is NO different

# 154 Pared @ 04/04/09 11:09 AM
The Nuggets hit 5 buzzer beaters on Thursday night against the Jazz. I actually counted. But yeah, you're right. That should never happen, since it doesn't happen in the NBA....

# 155 DC @ 04/04/09 11:12 AM
That happens every damn game in 2K. The nuggets was a rarity

# 156 Pared @ 04/04/09 11:14 AM
Not in our league, with the sliders I mentioned.

Don't know what else to tell you.

# 157 DC @ 04/04/09 11:17 AM
So you can sit here and honestly tell me this series doesn't have a problem with too high of a success rate with buzzer shots?

# 158 Pared @ 04/04/09 11:20 AM
I believe that was the essence of our conversation with the changes suggested.

# 159 DC @ 04/04/09 11:22 AM
I see otherwise but ok. You say it doesn't happen in your league. I just don't see why those sliders would change anything but I'm done with it

# 160 Pared @ 04/04/09 11:24 AM
We've had plenty of games go into OT because of a missed shot, even by stars.

That's not to say it doesn't happen but not at the rate out of the box.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.