Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has just posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers pocket protection.

Quote:
"Well there you have it, a full pocket. You can see that both Offensive Tackles (OT) were able to ride the Defensive Ends (DE) or Linebackers (LB) out wide behind the Quarterback (QB) instead of just standing them straight up. This year we are giving the Tackles the ability to take a Defensive End wide around the QB in a realistic fashion."

NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 N51_rob @ 03/25/09 09:36 AM
Is there anyway to get rid of the facemask that No. 2 for UT is wearing? I haven't seen a player wear that since the first year of revolution helmets.

# 62 beeneeb @ 03/25/09 09:45 AM

Did anyone else notice the "presentation" of the sidelines and the end zones in this picture? Look at the OU logos along with the Red River Rivalry logo towards the endzone. Those look fantastic.

Also, did you notice the sidelines? There's guys standing, sitting, kneeing down...I see just about everything except for a coach.

# 63 jdrhammer @ 03/25/09 10:13 AM
A little off-topic but it seems like the daylight is affecting or causing a glare on the uniforms and players like what happened in 08. All the players were too light and the uni's had a funky tint.

# 64 OMT @ 03/25/09 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturboweenie
i'm just trying to figure out why oklahoma's shoes are black, when they never wear black shoes...they wear white (as represented in 09) ...please, please don't mess up the details EA!!!
The same reason Florida had black shoes in the earlier screenshots. It is a bug right now that we are fixing.

# 65 OMT @ 03/25/09 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Good job EA... you are listening to the community and this has a lot of promise. I look forward to seeing actual gameplay VIDEO footage ASAP to see how this looks in real time.

However, two steps forward one step back... REFS on the field (or better said "not" on the field). As Madden will have them and the game basics are shared between platforms I believe that the longterm NCAA football gamers desrve an explanation as to why refs will not be in the game. Please don't interpret this commentary as rude but... "not enough time" doesn't cut it. If it's in Madden you have the ability to have it in NCAA. So is this a choice by EA? A choice by Tiburon? Could you please provide an concise answer to the question so we hardore NCAA supporters can better appreciate your decision making process. Thank you.
While the gameplay stuff is shared, the refs are a rendering issue that is part of the game team's budget handled by the engineers that specialize in graphics. We needed these guys to do something else this year.

# 66 deadlyCane @ 03/25/09 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Wow, you're right. The overreactions on this board are borderline ridiculous sometimes.
nexdawg might have some outrageous suggestions but at least I respect the guy for being fair and consistent. Cut the guy some slack. He made it clear from early that he would be happy if the game had the stuff he wanted and would consider not buying it if it didn't. He even went as far as saying he'll cut them some slack for 2010 but it must be up to snuff in 2011. Now that he has seen some semblance of a pocket he has switched to saying he will buy the thing. That to me says as long as you please the consumer the consumer will support you. That's the way it should be.

# 67 jrod1981 @ 03/25/09 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
We needed these guys to do something else this year.

oh oh, wonder what that "something else" is?

# 68 thudias @ 03/25/09 11:38 AM
He was going to say then deleted it. Damn.

# 69 rhombic21 @ 03/25/09 12:17 PM
Jesus. Give it a freaking break. Honestly, refs on the field is about the stupidest thing to get enraged about ever. And then bringing out the "exclusive license = lazy" crap on top of it too? Ridiculous.

You guys bitch and moan about the details blog when they talk about windsocks and endzone art for bowl games because there's no gameplay improvements. Then they post things like this, which are GIGANTIC gameplay improvements, and people bitch about graphical details that have no impact on gameplay.

# 70 Allaboutme @ 03/25/09 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Jesus. Give it a freaking break. Honestly, refs on the field is about the stupidest thing to get enraged about ever. And then bringing out the "exclusive license = lazy" crap on top of it too? Ridiculous.

You guys bitch and moan about the details blog when they talk about windsocks and endzone art for bowl games because there's no gameplay improvements. Then they post things like this, which are GIGANTIC gameplay improvements, and people bitch about graphical details that have no impact on gameplay.
My thoughts exactly.

# 71 rudyjuly2 @ 03/25/09 12:32 PM
I don't suppose someone could actually post the blog here or is that against the TOS? I can't read that blog at work.
Thanks.

# 72 sportyguyfl31 @ 03/25/09 12:34 PM
Has there been a blog about whether or not thw quality of your D-Line will actually matter or not this year?

# 73 Solidice @ 03/25/09 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't suppose someone could actually post the blog here or is that against the TOS? I can't read that blog at work.
Thanks.
here:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...rotection.aspx

Quote:
NCAA Football 10: Pocket Protection

Posted On: Mar. 24, 2009 4:01 PM EST By: raczilla 37 Comments
Quick note before I get into the shots below; this is not the official post for NCAA Football 10 this week. Expect another drop of information really soon.

Hey NCAA Football Fans I wanted to jump in and show some work being done with the Offensive/Defensive Line play. Rather than just a bunch of stuff I read, figured it would be better to post some shots and comment a little on each one.

Well there you have it, a full pocket. You can see that both Offensive Tackles (OT) were able to ride the Defensive Ends (DE) or Linebackers (LB) out wide behind the Quarterback (QB) instead of just standing them straight up. This year we are giving the Tackles the ability to take a Defensive End wide around the QB in a realistic fashion.

First look at the right side of the line:

Here is a close up view of the LB being strung out wide by an OT; you can see the body lean as the LB is trying to get around the OT using a speed rush. Instead of being pushed once or twice and standing still you’ll notice the interaction between the OT and DE (or LB) play out in a more natural sequence.

Now let’s take a look at the other side of the line and the different rush style:

This example is showing an attempt to use a bull rush and muscle his way to the QB; however the OT is able to keep the DE at bay. And like on the other side of the line push him out wide to help create that pocket from the first screen shot.

All the above shots are from the same play to give an example of how things are progressing on the NCAA Football 10 game-play front. And before you ask this does mean we are working on the ability of the Defensive Line to get to the QB as well:

The edge rusher in this case was able to make a move back inside. Sorry to ruin the suspense… it ended in a sack.

We are still in the process of working how often the defender vs. the offensive line will win. Like how much does Finesse Moves factor against Pass Block Footwork? Or how often will AI defenders attempt special moves? And a number of other tuning issues. It is a high priority to the team right now to ensure our line play is balanced on both sides of the ball.
That is all for today... Check back in a few days for this week’s NCAA Football 10 Blog.

Russell Kiniry – Designer NCAA Football 10
if the pictures don't work, tell me and I can replace them.

# 74 rudyjuly2 @ 03/25/09 12:57 PM
Thanks a lot Solidice. I can't see the pictures but almost every storage site will get blocked.

I'm glad to hear a true pocket is formed but I really hope the speed rusher can actually make a speed rush to get the QB. I found that to be almost impossible the last couple years although I don't usually play as a DL (one reason is that it was no fun). I don't want every speed rusher to fake outside and come back inside for a sack as that's how I got 99% of my sacks whenever I did try playing as a DE. The true edge rusher should occasionally be able to just run around an OT (even if he gets a hand on him to partially slow him). The suction blocking really hurt that aspect. 2K5 did a really nice job in this area.

# 75 beeneeb @ 03/25/09 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
The more money you spend in your budget on non-game goodies, the less budget time and manpower a game is generally going to receive.
How many people will not buy the game because there aren't any refs? Will anyone buy Madden instead just because they want to see their player collide with the ref? These are the types of questions that software companies use to determine whether a feature is added or not added. In this case, this is one of those Madden features that won't get added until NCAA 11.

While I think you have a valid point, I just think that a lot of people get about what is "in the game" and not in the game. However, I will make this point: Can you make a baseball game without umpires? What about a basketball game? Hmm...

# 76 TheTodd84 @ 03/25/09 02:02 PM
Thank you N51, someone agrees with me. I heard someone else complaining about OU and Florida's black cleats.

I know they are considered meaningless to many people, but getting the right facemasks and jersey combinations are essential to immersion. While I don't mind if Sergio Kindle (#2 for Texas in that shot) has the wrong helmet, I just want the correct one to be available for editing so that I can give him the correct one. The only helmet they added last year was Tebow's and very few QB's wear that actual helmet. They are leaving out the two most used Revolution Helmets. One of them is the one used by Bradford last year.

And the other one is used by guys at just about every position.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://athleticenterprises.com/images/new_20products_08_1_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://athleticenterprises.com/helmetRevolutionIQ.html&usg=__BDrG4S9R6DeRN1wQG0nKnvAa3l8=&h=300&w=300&sz=33&hl=en&start=13&tbnid=CaZqQMMLd1fWuM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRevolution%2BFacemasks%26gbv%3D2%26hl %3Den%26safe%3Doff

If EA clicks that link, they need the four STANDARD facemasks for the basic revolution IQ to be in the game. All of the ones they have right now are considered "optional" facemasks by the company.

I know it seems petty, but the majority of players in CFB wear the four standard ones and a select few wear the optional ones. So why are the optional ones in the game and not the standard ones?

Again, I love the gameplay improvements and I appreciate them very much. I might actually be able to win with good play-calling this year.

But details such as these get neglected every year, and it is inexcusable.

# 77 TheTodd84 @ 03/25/09 02:03 PM
EDIT FROM ABOVE: This is actually the functioning link:

http://athleticenterprises.com/helmetRevolutionIQ.html

# 78 TheTodd84 @ 03/25/09 02:06 PM
so even if they are not right on the players, just add in the two standard helmets they are missing to be added to players we want when we edit them.

# 79 jdrhammer @ 03/25/09 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
EA once made a college basketball game without a SEASON MODE. I tend to not put anything past any dev company.

The PSP version of MLB The shows lacks umps. So yea, you can do this and it takes away from the visual experience in each.
I bought that NCAA Hoops game and to say i was pissed would be putting it mildly.

# 80 md0t @ 03/25/09 02:14 PM
for the past 3 years i have been drinking the ncaa football improvement kool-aid...not this year. yeah those still shots looks nice...but show me a game that plays as good as those stills look.

now that i think about it, it's good to see that i will finally be able to stay in the pocket to make a decent pass but it doesn't prove that a fat assed DT won't reject 75% of my throws either...and it will just help the bums that like to run with the QB on every down even more so because it gives the receivers time to run defenders further downfield...like i said the pictures are nice but screw the graphics - step up the gameplay.....or at least bring back the mechanics of 07

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.