Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

Check out the latest NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers player lock and defensive assist.

Quote:
"Is it Thursday already? It has been a very busy last couple months here at Tiburon; all of us on the NCAA Football 10 team have been working extremely hard put the finishing touches on this year’s game. Every day brings us closer to putting NCAA Football 10 into everyone’s hands and we couldn’t be more excited.

Last week we released two game play improvements for NCAA Football 10. The first one showed off the Pass Blocking Pocket; and the second was about the new Player Pursuit Angles. Today we are going to reveal another two features brand new to the game: Player Lock and Defensive Assist.

While playing defense in Dynasty or Play Now are you the type of person who likes to just take the DE and try and make a play? What about only choosing the FS? Or have you wanted to be the WR on a big third down because you think you can run his route better?

How would you like to be able to do this?"

NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Russell_Kiniry_EA @ 04/02/09 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdid22
Can a commish for a OD totally turn the option off prior to starting a dynasty? I'm also worried about the abusing of defensive assist.
I left this question off the blog, but do not worry... the player under defensive assist will play according to the attributes of the player, he does not enter into some super human mode where they make every play. This is simply an assist, not a cheat... in fact if you were to hold this down an entire play it would be worse off, they will not go for picks at all.

# 42 youALREADYknow @ 04/02/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
I think it is better that I am not forced into a menu every single time I want to turn Player Lock on/off, also I can change my mind and be a DE one play and a CB the next... agian without going to a menu.
I can do that right now in NCAA 09 though. I press the Player Select button until Pre-Snap and then don't press it again once the play starts. Some of us actually created this as a house rule to imitate Player Lock in our dynasties.

With the method you're describing, I'm actually pressing more buttons per play (one every play instead of one each defensive possession) and the only added benefit is a camera angle change.

Neither of these are the same as the Player Lock that has been in every sports game to date. Thanks for answering the questions though.

# 43 youALREADYknow @ 04/02/09 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis a.d.
actually, that is the main purpose of campus legend mode.
ACTUALLY, the purpose of Campus Legend mode is to take one player through a college football career. That has nothing to do with the use of Player Lock in Play Now or Dynasty mode. There are obvious differences.

# 44 sportzbro @ 04/02/09 09:14 PM
Quote:
In the past versions of NCAA you've always stayed on the same player for defense in between plays (and it will be that way again), all it takes is a simple press of the Left Analog Stick to activate the mode again.

While I think you've made your point you do not like that way of doing it, personally I think it is better that I am not forced into a menu every single time I want to turn Player Lock on/off, also I can change my mind and be a DE one play and a CB the next... agian without going to a menu.

So while I don't think you are wrong, it is a valid opinion this was our choice to go with this method for Player Lock.
I like that it will be easy to switch this on and off during a game. Anyway you could show a bid of this feature so we can see exactly how it works?

# 45 Tengo Juego @ 04/02/09 09:17 PM
What if you could play online co-op and play from that view? This should really be taken to the next step allowing for 2v2 or even 3v3(or more if possible) games where each player can be locked a certain position. Man, imagine how much fun that would be. THAT to me would be more exciting than online dynasty. IF it were done.

# 46 Solidice @ 04/02/09 09:18 PM
I like the player lock, I usually only use 1 player anyway and don't switch during the play. the defensive assist, i don't know, doubt i'll use it much if at all. probably first thing i'll do is switch the defensive assist with the swat ball button so its like '09 controls.

# 47 Russell_Kiniry_EA @ 04/02/09 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I can do that right now in NCAA 09 though. I press the Player Select button until Pre-Snap and then don't press it again once the play starts. Some of us actually created this as a house rule to imitate Player Lock in our dynasties.

With the method you're describing, I'm actually pressing more buttons per play (one every play instead of one each defensive possession) and the only added benefit is a camera angle change.

Neither of these are the same as the Player Lock that has been in every sports game to date. Thanks for answering the questions though.
Agreed on the button presses... But think about it differently, in NHL 09 and NBA Live there are not nearly as many breaks in the action as there are in NCAA Football... there is a break every play.

I still feel like you can have your house rules, but it will take one button press a play

# 48 Tengo Juego @ 04/02/09 09:22 PM
Can you still make pre-snap adjustments while in a different players view?

# 49 youALREADYknow @ 04/02/09 09:27 PM
Quote:
I still feel like you can have your house rules, but it will take one button press a play
I'll see how it plays in June. Good job on the camera change work.

# 50 Russell_Kiniry_EA @ 04/02/09 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Can you still make pre-snap adjustments while in a different players view?
No, for two reasons:

1) With the camera flip it causes all kinds of issues with how do we make the pre-snap adjustments work? Some will say flip others will say normal... no one will be happy

2) It didn't really make sense, you are now that player... you are no longer the whole team. Know what I mean?

# 51 the onizzle @ 04/02/09 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
What if you could play online co-op and play from that view? This should really be taken to the next step allowing for 2v2 or even 3v3(or more if possible) games where each player can be locked a certain position. Man, imagine how much fun that would be. THAT to me would be more exciting than online dynasty. IF it were done.
+1... awesome suggestion. The feature is used as it's intended b/c each user gets the 3rd person camera angle on their guy, and adds a level of difficulty since you can't just switch all over the field. Play calling becomes ultimately important. This reminds me of what EA did with NHL 09, and everybody controlling their own player if so desired. PLEASE tell me you're considering it.

Follow up questioin - if you're using player lock can you still make defensive adjustments like line shifts/ coverage audibles... and can you make individual player changes like forcing your safety to blitz, or your lineman to hold contain (if you're not locked into that player)

# 52 Tengo Juego @ 04/02/09 09:58 PM
Quote:
No, for two reasons:

1) With the camera flip it causes all kinds of issues with how do we make the pre-snap adjustments work? Some will say flip others will say normal... no one will be happy

2) It didn't really make sense, you are now that player... you are no longer the whole team. Know what I mean?
It would cause some issues and I guess it adds a sort of balance. You no longer are under team control. So why should you have this ability? I understand.

# 53 Potatoes002 @ 04/02/09 10:08 PM
Sorry but I am not sure I understand play lock? Can you switch out of it midplay or only before? Do any of the controls buttons change while in play lock? Thanks!

# 54 sportzbro @ 04/02/09 10:13 PM
Quote:
I left this question off the blog, but do not worry... the player under defensive assist will play according to the attributes of the player, he does not enter into some super human mode where they make every play. This is simply an assist, not a cheat... in fact if you were to hold this down an entire play it would be worse off, they will not go for picks at all.
You really should post a vid comparing a great defender with a poorly rated one (of the same position) using the defensive assist feature. It could probably answer a lot of questions. To me it just sounds like the CPU is doing a lot of work the user would usually be trying to do..as if you are taking away the user's ability to make mistakes.

# 55 shaunlmason @ 04/02/09 10:28 PM
Defensive Assist, IMO will actually make your defense worse.

For the most part, we as players are more aware than the computer AI. We ALL complain about the defensive AI in '09. So, you are really eliminating the 'advantage' you have as a human controlled player by using the Assist mode.

Best case with Defensive Assist, you get what the AI would do, right? About the only position on the field I can't stick jockey better than the AI is CB, because of the camera.=)

And I suck.=)

# 56 rudyjuly2 @ 04/02/09 10:32 PM
I like the player lock on defense. Don't like defensive assist if it can't be turned off.

# 57 Jistic @ 04/02/09 10:33 PM
On a side note, you finally shrank the "U" on the helmet. THANK YOU. It's been obscenely large forever.

# 58 Fluff E Bunny @ 04/02/09 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPlex
Now for the pic I see you have Surrency #1 for FSU but I dont see his DREADS.!!!!!!
He may not even be on the team in the Fall if he doesn't win is appeal to the NCAA.

# 59 SHO @ 04/02/09 10:51 PM
Those elbow pads are corny.

# 60 BSanders @ 04/02/09 11:12 PM
Thank you! I love the Player Lock feature, I always use it in CH2k8 and NBA2k8.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.