Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

The PC patch for Major League Baseball 2K9 is now available. Please download it and post your impressions here. The download is about 38 MB.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mva5580 @ 04/04/09 03:05 AM
Finally got to sit down and finish my first full game after the patch.

There is definitely a difference in terms of CPU aggression at the plate. They're not swinging at EVERYTHING now, no doubt about it. I don't think it's the extreme change some people will be looking for, but it's definitely there. And considering some of the other stuff I've read on threads, adjusting sliders, and the PC modders working their magic w/ roster/other updates, I'm really not worried about this anymore at all. It may take a little while, but the foundation has been laid for this problem to be solved fully. I struck out the CPU looking 3 times in the first 3 innings, they took pitches, etc. Not an excessive change, but a clear change nonetheless.

No issues w/ 1B, although I can't say I had it happen much before.

Same thing with OF's, everything was fine. I'm not sure how everyone puts their OF's in position to catch, but I never really try to put them in that yellow circle, always a little bit in front of it, and I've never had an issue. So all good on this front as well.

Beyond that, I guess all I need to know now is how franchise is working, because from what I've heard there still might be a few things which weren't patched up. If some of it is related to injuries, personally I would just turn injuries off and deal with a universal no-injuries franchise, but I can understand some not accepting that. But I would say once we see a roster update from the community adjusting to this patch, sliders doing the same, this game is pretty solid.

# 42 tril @ 04/04/09 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES3Paul
I did load another game, NBA2k9, and that works like a charm. I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Processor. Old drivers eliminated, the 9400 drivers in place. Maybe it's just my copy of the game. 2GB RAM, too.
thats strange
did you examine the disk?
I would say what about disk speed, but if NBA 2k works fine then this game should work well also.
I say delete the patch and the game, all the files and folders and reinstall again.
makes sure there arent any files left behind anywhere.

it could be that the graphics card is not compatible with the game. with your new video card do you have the latest drivers. if not, go to the manufacturers website and download the latest/newest drivers for your video card. see if that works?

# 43 PES3Paul @ 04/04/09 09:48 AM
A happy ending to my tale of woe; I checked the NVidia website, downloaded the latest GeForce driver release (version 182.50, which came out on Thursday) and installed them. Now the game is smooth as butter.

Now if I can only get the hang of pitching where I don't hit the first 2 batters and walk the third. :|

# 44 Whootoo @ 04/04/09 10:52 AM
I have completed about 13-15 games since the release of the patch. I left all sliders as they were (at legend default) and I have yet to hit a home run. no combination of swings, L-stick, hitters.... doesn't matter. so that aspect of the game has changed quite a bit. hitting in general doesn't 'feel' as though it has changed, but by sheer statistical numbers you can tell it has. I agree with the CPU hitters not going after every ball. you CAN freeze the batter in the box and they will just take the SO. bonus if you really know how to work a batter and strike zone.
the overall field play is smoother... but I still see situation where calling off fielders and such will still cause a costly error in the outfield. don't think the patch will fix all goofy fielding errors... they will still happen. just not as often. matter of fact, I am seeing the CPU commit more errors since the install of the patch.

I did noticed they fixed the pick off glitch at second. now on the PC we don't have the benefits of online play where the glitch received most of its attention, but if you used it to get out of a tight spot in a rough inning... easy pick no more.

the biggest improvement I have seen is in the menu system. all too often the mouse cursor would NOT line up with where the actual click occurred. forcing you to use either the game controller or the keyboard to navigate. this is an ENORMOUS benefit when looking through stats and working with your minor league teams in franchise mode.

all in all the patch is a pretty good improvement on the overall experience of the game. I don't think it will pull the people who shelved it back to play, but I do enjoy it more. even if I am cussing at the screen when I throw a boneheaded slider that goes yard.

hopefully the MOD community will better the game in the future. It is only a matter of time until the people who are truly passionate about the sport and the game will put the time into making it what it really should be.

...let's not forget... on the PC... there really aren't many baseball options...

# 45 timisone @ 04/04/09 02:27 PM
I still think the ai is flawed, i still have games where i am give up 8 runs in the first three inns with pitches over 85 rating. Only had 2 stikeouts in 2 games. I was hoping for this to fix the issues, i dont see a difference.

# 46 Whootoo @ 04/04/09 11:05 PM
to quote myself...

"on the PC... there really aren't many baseball options..."

# 47 tril @ 04/05/09 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timisone
I still think the ai is flawed, i still have games where i am give up 8 runs in the first three inns with pitches over 85 rating. Only had 2 stikeouts in 2 games. I was hoping for this to fix the issues, i dont see a difference.
that's baseball. Ive had games where Beckett has been lights out and other games where he's given up 5/6 runs in 2 innings.
thats when you pull the pitcher. ratings of a pitcher or player comes fully into play over a course of an entire season, not 1 or 2 games.

Ive had games wher Ive had only several strike outs. thats great variety

The patch there is a difference. The only complaint so far is that money pitch that someone mentioned. the 12/6 curveball seems to be the money pitch.
after the patch if they dont swing its usually called a strike anyways. theyll swing when its out the zone and seem to not swing when its in the strike zone.
2k should patch this. Ill maybe have to change the ratings of that particular pitch.

# 48 tril @ 04/05/09 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge
My biggest problem with this game is that regardless of how well the patch makes the game play 'bug' free, it still is a mediocre baseball experience. It may have fixed the glitches and now play a fundamentally correct game of baseball, it still doesnt do much more to really immerse me into the baseball experience.

For example, the batting/pitcher matchups are very bland and lack that face off and chess battle experience. The fielding is ho hum and lacks a fun sense of playability the way The Show or even MVP used to give you. Player fielder ratings dont really seem to translate into the results u see on the field. There are far too many diving web gem plays by all kinds of low rated players.

In addition, the players have a very scripted robotic series of movements to them that look awkward in transistion....its just so so...the whole experience is just OK.

I expected more
if you want a better batter/pitcher experience lower the batter success rating. for some reason the batter takes more pitches and fouls off alot of pitches, even those out of the strike zone.

The fielding is about the same as in The show or MVP. the throwing meter in 2k makes the the fielding IMO a bit more immersive. I do agree that there are too many diving catches. but Ive also seen plays where the player dives and the player drops the ball, so its not guaranteed catch.

The game has improved. Id give it a 7.5 now.

# 49 nccomicfan @ 04/05/09 07:03 PM
first let me state to the mods at OS that I object strongly to this not being a sticky thread like it's console counterparts

overall , the patch effects are kind of so/so...the outfielders now make plays they should have made since day one, but the infielders on my team still do not react properly to hit balls, either their first step goes in the wrong direction or they just don't move

there is STILL significant OF slowdown on balls hit in front of them

please remove baserunning controls for 2k10 away from the right stick...it is not intuitive

MAJOR stolen base bug..happens for CPU and human alike..multiple instances of beating a runner by three steps and the fielder just tags the ground...easy out turns into man in scoring position

kudos to 2k for deciding we should be able to actually strike guys out looking now...the biggest improvement of the patch

I am now severely questioning the effectiveness of the hitting sliders in this game..CPU contact at 0...still seeing 15-20 hits per outing, including mind numbing runs of 6 to 7 singles in a row that just kills my games...user power at 80...ZERO home runs in 5 games since the patch

Overall, the patch took a broken title and fixed it just enough to make it at least playable. I'll rate it a 6.5 post-patch and I am hopeful for the modders to make it better, but I will make no secret that I would love to see 2k stripped of it's third party exclusive. Finances rule out a console purchase right now so I play this title due to it being my only option

# 50 mva5580 @ 04/05/09 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccomicfan
first let me state to the mods at OS that I object strongly to this not being a sticky thread like it's console counterparts
Agreed, but that's just the way it goes for us PC gamers. We're treated 2nd rate even though it's the superior platform for gaming. But that's another topic for another time.

Quote:
but the infielders on my team still do not react properly to hit balls, either their first step goes in the wrong direction
The first step in the wrong direction thing drives me crazy.

Quote:
there is STILL significant OF slowdown on balls hit in front of them
You know, this problem wouldn't bother me if it slowed down the rest of the game also, but that's not how it works. Say there's a runner on first and there's a base hit to the outfield that results in the OF slow down. Well, the baserunner is going full speed while my OF is running in slow motion, which enables the runner to go to 3rd, or if he's starting at 2nd, to score when he may not have if my OF is running full speed. I could live with this slow-motion thing if it slowed down EVERYONE on the field, but that's not the case.

Quote:
Overall, the patch took a broken title and fixed it just enough to make it at least playable. I'll rate it a 6.5 post-patch and I am hopeful for the modders to make it better, but I will make no secret that I would love to see 2k stripped of it's third party exclusive. Finances rule out a console purchase right now so I play this title due to it being my only option
I hear where you're coming from. I think the game is ok, but what's keeping me from really wanting to get into it are all the franchise bugs I keep reading about. And considering we have no online alternative on the PC, the franchise mode is pretty important. I'll stick with the game a while longer since 1) it was only $20, and 2) the modders are sure to do great things with it. But I also think I'll be purchasing Out of the Park Baseball 10, as their game is unbelievable when it comes to all the detail we're looking for in a franchise mode. To the point of overkill lol. I'd like to be able to actually PLAY a game that has all those features, but I know that will never happen. I just think as I get older, I want to think/be immersed more than just controlling the players, and this game like many of others of the recent generations are eye candy more than depth. Oh well.

# 51 zzyzx @ 04/06/09 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
I hear where you're coming from. I think the game is ok, but what's keeping me from really wanting to get into it are all the franchise bugs I keep reading about. And considering we have no online alternative on the PC, the franchise mode is pretty important.
I might be able to get the answer by scouring this board and the one at 2k - but it's already late

What franchise bugs are still unresolved post-patch? I noticed that the free agent bug had been fixed. That seemed like the biggest one to me. What's still broken?

# 52 SoxFan01605 @ 04/06/09 03:46 AM
Here's a little something from mvpmods for those who don't feel like waiting for a roster editor. Not sure if anyone saw this (as it was added yesterday and is not in the downloads), but it will be a good start for the more impatient among us.

Basically, it opens up the in-game editing categories for ALL players. While this doesn't mean batting stances/pitching motions, it does mean that build, age, appearance, etc are now fully editable.

Also, it allows editing of pitch types AND individual pitch edits.

All credit of course goes to the modder, in this case Tony3 at mvpmods.com:

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?showtopic=38030

FYI, I've tried it out and it works as advertised, but apparently only with default rosters.

# 53 CybrSlydr @ 04/06/09 10:30 AM
Played my second game last night in my Pirates Franchise.

Gorzleanny was my pitcher and I was playing the 'stros at PNC.

Ended up with a 4-2 ballgame in the bottom of the 9th. Two singles in a row, bunted the runners to 2nd. and 3rd. - they tried to get the lead runner at 3rd, but he was safe, so it's bases loaded. I then doubled to left center, scoring two. Next guy, I bunted the runner over to 3rd. So, it's tied, winning run on 3rd and only one out.

Sac fly, game over.

Two of their runs came on a line drive one-hopper that Eric Hinske misplayed and went past him to the wall (guys on first and second).

However, I'm still noticing the fielders slowing down.

Aggressiveness? Still pretty aggressive. I signed Oliver Perez in free agency and he struck out 13 in his first appearance - only a couple were looking. I think it was Troy Glaus - he struck out 4 times. 0-4. Gave up two runs to the Cards - one was an obscene golf shot by Pujols to left center - it was a very low and outside slider that he somehow muscled over.

He got the win though as I scored one more in the 8th. Won 3-2. Lots of hits though - I think we were both in double digits.

# 54 WTF @ 04/06/09 01:26 PM
Just had a great game in my Mariner's Franchise in my first series @ Minnesota. Minny won the first 2 games, the first one easily, second one with a walk off HR by Cuddyer (who coincidentally killed me this whole series). Third game I came back out and put on an absolute hitting exhibition ranging from A-Rod's (acquired via trade) 2 Home Runs, to Suzuki's near cycle (missing HR).

The final game in the 4 game series, Minnesota had a 3-1 lead going into the 8th, 2 outs with Lopez at the plate. Was able to muster a single with Lopez, sending A-Rod to the plate. A-Rod takes the first pitch down the left field line for a stand up double, sending Lopez from 1st to 3rd. Griffey Jr steps into the box, the go ahead run. Takes the first pitch, a low and away slider, ball 1. Second pitch, an up and in heater, 1-1 count. 3rd pitch, slider, doesn't break, right down the heart of the plate. With one smooth swing of the bat, Jr crushes the ball into the CF stands just over the 408 sign in Center field, giving the 1 run lead.

Into the 9th, I'm able to muster 1 more run, making it 5-3. Twins aren't done yet, as they are able to rally with 2 outs, getting runners on 1st and 2nd, Cuddyer at the plate. My Closer's nerves are going crazy, as Cuddyer has killed us all series. First pitch, Cuddyer hits a line drive shot over my 2ndd baseman's outreached arms, hitting the gap between Center and Right. Suzuki tracks the ball down, runner's rounding 3rd... Ichiro hits the cutoff man, who relays the play to the plate... My catcher blocks the plate nicely, causing the baserunner to slide around, as I tag him out for the final out of the game. Absolutely beautiful.

Having a great time with this. Starting the season off 2-2, splitting the series with the Twins. Pretty nice start to the season.

# 55 Saint19 @ 04/07/09 05:17 PM
Hi,

I've picked up the PC version and got the new patch. However when it starts it only plays in a maximized windows mode. How do you get it to play in full screen mode???

# 56 CybrSlydr @ 04/07/09 06:19 PM
IIRC, ALT+Enter

# 57 Saint19 @ 04/07/09 08:56 PM
I'll give that a shot. Thanx.

So far the PC version is playable with a few quirks. I'm not gonna say it beats the show as I just feel at the moment that's a more complete game. But I see lots of potential for this game....especially if the mods start coming in.

# 58 Saint19 @ 04/07/09 10:00 PM
Oh well. I tried that and it didn't work. The Maximize option is greyed out. BUt it still runs in a large box but not in full screen mode. I can't figure it out.

# 59 minmaster @ 04/09/09 04:18 PM
btw what's the reason PC doesn't get sticky?

i still can't steal a base to save my life.
baserunners often get tagged out at 3B as they round and go back nonchanlantly.
catchers keep dropping pitches or missing them.

# 60 GOBLUE_08 @ 04/09/09 05:30 PM
Its not gonna get stickied because there are far more console users here than pc. Mvpmods.com is the place to go if you wanna discuss the pc version.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.