Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

The second official patch for the PS3 version of Major League Baseball 2K9 is now available. Download it and post your impressions here.

Major League Baseball 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 boomhauertjs @ 04/02/09 08:51 AM
Sounds like they fixed everything I was hoping they would. Hopefully, the 360 patch is coming soon.

# 62 belljr @ 04/02/09 09:22 AM
They appeared to fix A LOT.

I have a theory that they reached a point and knew they were going to patch so they cut their build, kept working even though the game "went gold" and knew of most of these issues.

KUDOS either way that they worked to get it out.

# 63 ckarlic @ 04/02/09 09:39 AM
Hmmm..might have to give this game a second chance. Been playing the Show and shelved 2k9 until the patch. I didn't want to trade it in until i gave it a fighting chance.

# 64 Trevytrev11 @ 04/02/09 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simp
I don't understand why everybody cares so much about editing stances and deliveries. I mean why would you want to spend hours tinkering with that stuff when you could be playing the game?
For many, they are going to spend a few hours tinkering and several hundred hours playing, so they probably want to make things as right as possible so it's as realistic as possible when they are playing the game. Signiture stances and deliveries are a huge part of what makes this game feel real, so if you want to create a player who is not in the game, it follows suit to want to give them a stance that closely resemles their own.

Also, it just looks generic if you want to create a bunch of players and they all look exactly the same at the plate.

I understand it's not for everyone, but it is important to many. And if it's not something that can be fixed in a patch, we have to live with it...hopefully they fix it next year.

# 65 Qb @ 04/02/09 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Playing the Pirates right now and Name MCloud is a C. Will update this post on the next batter. Freddy Sanchez has an F. lol
That's probably about right. Sanchez doesn't walk much at all and while McLouth has some plate discipline, he's still a rather aggressive hitter. Patience at the plate has been an organizational weakness for the Buccos for a while now... along with a lot of other things. Zing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simp
I don't understand why everybody cares so much about editing stances and deliveries.
I was really disappointed to see that we couldn't edit these, as it really adds to the immersion for me. I really enjoyed finding the best stances for all the Pirates, since most of them have generic stances and I know what their real ones look like. I'll deal with it, but it's still disappointing...

# 66 funky_chicken @ 04/02/09 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
oh yeah, no shhhhh. lol I got backwards.

Pitching seems to be tougher as well. If you mess up a little on the timing, he will throw a bad bad pitch.
I did notice you can not pinpoint your pitches as well, which is a good thing. I remember a few times in the game I played last night I am a fastball down and in to right handed batters and it ended up down but in the middle of the plate and not in.

# 67 The Living Legend @ 04/02/09 10:29 AM
I agree with someone that already posted, Sux that the progressive lighting that was so messed up was not on the list. Seems to me such a easy fix but i guess not.

# 68 brendanrfoley @ 04/02/09 10:44 AM
I pray this patch hits tomorrow for the 360. I haven't played a game in a couple days (I've been busy), and I'm doing to spend a couple hours with it. I'd rather play the post-patch version!

# 69 panthers_freak @ 04/02/09 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I pray this patch hits tomorrow for the 360. I haven't played a game in a couple days (I've been busy), and I'm doing to spend a couple hours with it. I'd rather play the post-patch version!
supposedly the patch is coming out tomorrow morning when microsoft does their updates. as for the patch, it really looks like it fixed the major issues with gameplay. although at the 2k boards they are saying that in franchise mode, the injury bug is stilll there. (ugh) anyway, i am eager for the patch for the 360 to be released so i can start my franchise. hurry up microsoft!!!!

# 70 Guffers @ 04/02/09 10:54 AM
Guys I have to take back my last post. The AI still seems super aggressive to me and still swings at garbage constantly. This is really depressing but I think its game over for me with this title. I really hope you 360 guys can get some enjoyment from it but you deserve far better. I'm back to the other game. I may give this one more chance but after 2 hours with it tonight I feel really deflated. I was hoping for an alternative game this year but I guess it wasn't to be.

# 71 The Living Legend @ 04/02/09 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffers
Guys I have to take back my last post. The AI still seems super aggressive to me and still swings at garbage constantly. This is really depressing but I think its game over for me with this title. I really hope you 360 guys can get some enjoyment from it but you deserve far better. I'm back to the other game. I may give this one more chance but after 2 hours with it tonight I feel really deflated. I was hoping for an alternative game this year but I guess it wasn't to be.
Not that i don't believe you, but i just have a hard time believing that 2k would release a patch that one of the top priorities if not the top was AI aggressiveness, and your saying you dont see anything at all.

# 72 belljr @ 04/02/09 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers_freak
supposedly the patch is coming out tomorrow morning when microsoft does their updates. as for the patch, it really looks like it fixed the major issues with gameplay. although at the 2k boards they are saying that in franchise mode, the injury bug is stilll there. (ugh) anyway, i am eager for the patch for the 360 to be released so i can start my franchise. hurry up microsoft!!!!
Did MS change their policy. I don't think they release patches on Fridays.

# 73 brendanrfoley @ 04/02/09 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by belljr
Did MS change their policy. I don't think they release patches on Fridays.
Microsoft does release patches on Fridays. In fact, patches have released on pretty much every day of the week (though they normally release on Tuesday's when Microsoft updates its servers).

# 74 tinpanalley @ 04/02/09 11:50 AM
I seriously can not believe after all the problems the title had, and all the efforts that have been made to fix it, and clearly enough people are saying the problems have been fixed, that people are still complaining that stances are not editable. What's more important? Editable stances or a player with a generic stance that performs with statistical accuracy?

I don't know... I'm a pretty picky guy and this doesn't bother me. When I'm trying to get on bases late in a playoff game after a long hard season, I could care less how my player is batting, I'm just trying to keep my eye on the ball.

Anyone agree with me?

# 75 brendanrfoley @ 04/02/09 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
Anyone agree with me?
Oh, I agree with you. I won't take away from people's frustration, though. Lots of people wanted to edit batting and pitching styles. I'm sure it will be in 2K10, but that is little consolation to those who wanted it this year.

About the patch... can anyone confirm what Guffers says?

# 76 therockstar2005 @ 04/02/09 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley

About the patch... can anyone confirm what Guffers says?
There have been various people in here saying that the AI is less aggressive. I think they're confirming the opposite. It might depend on pitches though, I wonder if batters still swing wildly over a 12-6 curve.

Just got word from Microsoft that my Xbox made it to them. Hopefully it'll get repaired by the time I head home for Easter. Celebrating Jesus and baseball...truly the American dream.

# 77 Hoos @ 04/02/09 12:11 PM
I've been holding off buying this game to see if any patch work would make it better. Haven't even rented it based on my horrible experience with the demo!!! However, I'm encouraged by what some of you peeps are seeing after the PS3 patch. The big things for me were:

1) AI batting
2) Ease of pitching
3) Too many HR's
4) Sucky outfield play/errors
5) AI tagging issues

With most of these appearing to be fixed, the game has been elevated to rental status.

One question I do have is whether these fixes carry over to online play. Has anyone played an online game post-patch?? Any improvements there?? I know the AI issues is a non factor online but what about outfield play??

# 78 SoxFan01605 @ 04/02/09 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
I seriously can not believe after all the problems the title had, and all the efforts that have been made to fix it, and clearly enough people are saying the problems have been fixed, that people are still complaining that stances are not editable. What's more important? Editable stances or a player with a generic stance that performs with statistical accuracy?

I don't know... I'm a pretty picky guy and this doesn't bother me. When I'm trying to get on bases late in a playoff game after a long hard season, I could care less how my player is batting, I'm just trying to keep my eye on the ball.

Anyone agree with me?
It's really not about what's more important. I never understood this line of thinking. You have two things important to you, but because the more important one is fixed, it makes the other one meaningless? Just seems short-sighted to me, is all.

Locking the editing can ruin the experience for many people because it renders CAP useless due to lack of variety. Also, the editing lock makes it impossible to make accurate rosters. It's nothing new, of course, so there's no need to rehash everything that's wrong with these options not being available.

Certainly not the end of the world if the gameplay is fantastic, but that's not been the case either (pre-patch...can't speak on post-patch yet). The patch got people's hopes up (falsely IMO, since it was never mentioned as a possible fix) that editing may be possible.

Disappointments tend to get rehashed with each update to a game, it seems...lol. This is the main reason I'm glad I ended up with the PC version. It has a greater chance of being "unlocked" and having editing options opened up. There's already a roster editor in the works.

Again, I'm not saying editing is MORE important than what was fixed, but it's understandable that people are not happy about it not being available (though, as I said before, it's not a "new" issue, so I do agree that there's no point in rehashing it).

BTW, any word on the PC patch availability? I know Ron addressed the 360 version, but no mention of PC.

# 79 Guffers @ 04/02/09 12:37 PM
To clarify , the AI IS less aggressive but not realistically so, in my opinion. They don't appear to really work the count or look for a good pitch to hit. They take a few more strikes but more often than not will swing at a lousy pitch as long as its somewhere near the zone. I've also seen a lot of pitches well outside struck for a hit. Now I'm basing this on a game I had before where the CPU was sat down on 3 pitches in 3 seperate innings. This game also featured 6 HR's but no tragic outfielder incidents.

I really don't want to come off sounding like I'm bashing the game but for me the core of a baseball title needs to be the batter/pitcher duel. And it just doesn't feel like its there. I will give this game another chance tomorrow and hopefully something will click. I really love the controls and the presentation so I'm still holding out for a few more games.

# 80 mva5580 @ 04/02/09 12:38 PM
For a game that has had as many complaints as it's had, I'm shocked the minimal amount of actual information in this topic as it relates to how this patch works.

I mean do like 20 people on this board have the PS3 version, and everyone else has 360/PC? And NO, that is not me asking every person to respond with what version they have. And yet people will do it anyway although I just asked them not to.

I'm anxiously awaiting the PC version patch, hopefully it solves most of the problems.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.