Home
News Post

For baseball purists, one of the biggest additions to MLB 09: The Show has been the inclusion of authentic professional transactions within the franchise mode. No longer are virtual owners stuck with the limited options of trades and free agency -- now the full spectrum of rosters moves are available to budding Billy Beanes.

However, within this new framework there is a slight problem. Since video games have ignored realistic roster handling for a long time (outside of Acclaim’s All-Star Baseball), many users do not know what all of the new moves mean. The developers of The Show have tried to help by including a handbook on the disc, but for those interested in reading a less "textbook" approach, here is a primer for getting a grip on your roster.

Read More - Noob Guide to Transactions in MLB '09: The Show

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HustlinOwl @ 04/07/09 10:47 AM
Great tips, I will be using these tools as soon as Knight's rosters are finished and I start my franchise.

# 2 Invictus375 @ 04/07/09 11:32 AM
Great thread!

My question revolves around this:

Quote:
If you sign a player who ranks in the top 20 percent at his position (called a Type A free agent), you give your first-round draft pick to his original team. That team also gets a supplemental "free pick" between the first and second rounds.
How is the top 20 percent determined? You should know this BEFORE you decide not to re-sign someone right? How do you figure out the top 20 at a given position?

# 3 Imnus @ 04/07/09 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus375
Great thread!

My question revolves around this:

How is the top 20 percent determined? You should know this BEFORE you decide not to re-sign someone right? How do you figure out the top 20 at a given position?
The FA Type of the player it's said on his Player Card.

# 4 Imnus @ 04/07/09 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
good topic as i am no expert in these rules of baseball.

let me ask about this
so if my player has not been on the 40 man roster, then Options dont matter because i cant move him up to the MLB level unless he is on the 40 man, right??

my next question applies to this

im confused on this. what if he was on the 40 man, and on the 25 man active roster, does this mean he doesnt have options and can be moved as much as i want? Or is that bolded line above just talking about a guy that is out of options because he was never added to the 15 man roster?

does every player have options if they are on the 40 man and/or 25 man roster?

do the options renew every year, or on a timeline of some kind?

this stuff is a great addition to the game, but im confused by alot of it and want to know how it works. i may have to research mlb rules to understand better
Options allow you to move a player from MLB to minors, every time you send down a player to Minors, you used an Option of that player, that Option last a whole season, meaning you cand send him down to the minors as much as you want that year.

Every player have 3 Options (even if he's neither on the 25-Man Roster nor on the 40-Man Roster), and no, they never reset.

# 5 SHO @ 04/07/09 01:50 PM
Can someone explain to me why I never get extra draft picks when my Type A and B free agents are signed by someone else? I offer them arbitration like I'm supposed to, they decline it and are picked by someone else. Then come June 3rd, I don't even get a supplemental pick.

# 6 SHO @ 04/07/09 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
Can someone explain to me why I never get extra draft picks when my Type A and B free agents are signed by someone else? I offer them arbitration like I'm supposed to, they decline it and are picked by someone else. Then come June 3rd, I don't even get a supplemental pick.
Bump. I'm honestly confused with what I'm not doing to get draft picks.

# 7 Imnus @ 04/07/09 05:39 PM
Quote:
Bump. I'm honestly confused with what I'm not doing to get draft picks.
Sorry, can't help you with that. But I play the Yanks and the draft picks have been taking from me.

# 8 asu666 @ 04/07/09 09:34 PM
Wow, great post. I thought I knew a lot about the systems; however you taught me a few new things. Thanks

# 9 KingV2k3 @ 04/08/09 01:39 PM
Thanks for the tips...

I used to juggle middle relievers between my MLB and AAA squads alot until I found out that this year, they'd possibly have to clear waivers...

# 10 Tonsoffun @ 04/08/09 03:22 PM
Quote:
you should automatically get the Sandwich pick (supplemental) regardless of A/B status. However, for Type A, if say, the Yankees do what they did this winter, in signing Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett... there's only 1 1st round pick available, so only one of those teams is getting that pick (the angels did). so perhaps this is happening in your franchise?

# 11 JT30 @ 04/08/09 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnus
Every player have 3 Options (even if he's neither on the 25-Man Roster nor on the 40-Man Roster), and no, they never reset.
Sorry but its very possible to get a fourth option. Delmon Young is a recent example.

You may want to be more familiar with the rules before you start giving out false info

# 12 Imnus @ 04/08/09 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
Sorry but its very possible to get a fourth option. Delmon Young is a recent example.

You may want to be more familiar with the rules before you start giving out false info
OK, but that's an extra Option. Options do not reset. This special case only applies when a player has used all three options already and does not have five full seasons of professional experience.

# 13 JT30 @ 04/08/09 04:23 PM
Quote:
OK, but that's an extra Option. Options do not reset. This special case only applies when a player has used all three options already and does not have five full seasons of professional experience.
I didnt say options reset.

1. A player who is currently entering his fourth or fifth pro season and already has been optioned in three separate years gets a fourth option.

2. A player who has missed one or more seasons to injury - meaning an entire season, or enough time to accrue fewer than 90 days on an active roster - may get a fourth option if, exclusive of those injury-shortened years, he has fewer than five full seasons in pro ball. A season in which he's on an active roster for 60 days or more and then gets hurt still counts as a full season, but a season in which he's hurt and then comes back and gets 60-89 days of service after the injury does not.

3. Seasons spent in short season leagues

# 14 Imnus @ 04/08/09 04:38 PM
Quote:
I didnt say options reset.

1. A player who is currently entering his fourth or fifth pro season and already has been optioned in three separate years gets a fourth option.

2. A player who has missed one or more seasons to injury - meaning an entire season, or enough time to accrue fewer than 90 days on an active roster - may get a fourth option if, exclusive of those injury-shortened years, he has fewer than five full seasons in pro ball. A season in which he's on an active roster for 60 days or more and then gets hurt still counts as a full season, but a season in which he's hurt and then comes back and gets 60-89 days of service after the injury does not.

3. Seasons spent in short season leagues
Well, he was asking if Options reset every few years or something like that, I just said they don't.

# 15 JT30 @ 04/08/09 04:43 PM
Quote:
Well, he was asking if Options reset every few years or something like that, I just said they don't.
Oh I thought you told him players will only get 3 options. No big deal. But I dont think this game considers the 4th option possibility. And I doubt the game knows to turn rev. waivers into irrev. waivers after the player was pulled back for the 2nd time on a claim

# 16 Invictus375 @ 04/08/09 04:44 PM
Is there any way to see what transactions have taken place in RTTS? I see at the beginning of year 3 (I'm in ST) that one of the Rangers up and coming young CP's and their #1 draft pick 1B from 2008 are both no longer on the team.

Any way to see how this happened?

# 17 Imnus @ 04/08/09 05:01 PM
Quote:
Oh I thought you told him players will only get 3 options. No big deal. But I dont think this game considers the 4th option possibility. And I doubt the game knows to turn rev. waivers into irrev. waivers after the player was pulled back for the 2nd time on a claim
He asked if only players that were on the 40-Man Roster had Options or something like that, what he wrote was too confusing. And I'm pretty sure Revocable Waivers aren't in the game.

# 18 Invictus375 @ 04/08/09 05:26 PM
Quote:
He asked if only players that were on the 40-Man Roster had Options or something like that, what he wrote was too confusing. And I'm pretty sure Revocable Waivers aren't in the game.

Sweet Jesus...are you two married?

let's focus on the important part here, like my question!!

Quote:
Is there any way to see what transactions have taken place in RTTS? I see at the beginning of year 3 (I'm in ST) that one of the Rangers up and coming young CP's and their #1 draft pick 1B from 2008 are both no longer on the team.

# 19 Antkowiak @ 04/09/09 03:49 AM
I love how all these new management features are in the game, but it is still impossible to simply drop players to FA in the roster manager.

# 20 SHO @ 04/09/09 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsoffun
you should automatically get the Sandwich pick (supplemental) regardless of A/B status. However, for Type A, if say, the Yankees do what they did this winter, in signing Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett... there's only 1 1st round pick available, so only one of those teams is getting that pick (the angels did). so perhaps this is happening in your franchise?
I guess so, but I'm still confused when the 2009 first-year draft comes up and the Angels have about two picks each in the first and supp. rounds.

Here is what went down in my Oakland franchise. I offered all three arbitration before the deadline.

Matt Holliday - Type A (signed with Minnesota)
Orlando Cabrerra - Type A (signed with Boston)
Nomar - Type B (signed with Kansas City)

I should have gotten three picks correct?

Did the signing of Carl Crawford (Type A) completely throw off my chances at getting those picks?

Trying to run the Moneyball model is useless if I get these picks to work right for me.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.