Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the new Madden NFL 10 blog. This one features the importance of an early community day.

Quote:
"On April 10, we flew in 8 of the most hardcore Madden fans for a marathon testing day to get an extremely early look at our Alpha build and provide feedback based on where the game is thus far. You may ask, “What is new about this? Haven’t you had community events in the past?” Yes, we have done these before, but there are some key differences."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 adub88 @ 04/13/09 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Ruthless.
I know right?

# 162 KANE699 @ 04/13/09 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePPL
But why does it need to be like that? I know you're the wrong person to ask this question to, but what happened to the old concept of having the option to add in face paint in edit mode?

Besides that, it's kind of hard to complain about anything else in the picture. And I do especially like the the neon gloves. I've been waiting for EA to add in secondary colored gloves for a long time. Plus, I appreciate the community day idea.
I've always wondering the same thing, I don't think I have gotten an answer, but then again I think I forgot to ask.

# 163 DearbornDolfan @ 04/13/09 10:40 PM
Quote:
Ruthless.
Maybe, but I've been an alpha and beta tester before on a few successful games. Being bluntly honest if what's wrong with the game is the only way to get things fixed. Sometimes testers need to call the programmers to task. It's great that Ian is being more transparent, but the cost of that is honest assessments that he won't necessarily like.

# 164 KyGamerLT @ 04/13/09 10:41 PM
I just want to play the game that is all I want . Ian ship me a rough copy (cough cough).

# 165 Dawkins#20 @ 04/13/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
I know right?
Someone else took the extreme approach unlike myself

# 166 canes21 @ 04/13/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94niners
So audible to a play with a 3 step drop or to a shotgun formation. That's what real QBs do, and realism is what we're after, right?
I agree with everyone. In real life there are 3, 5 , and 7 drop back plays. But their are situations where a QB was designed to take 3 steps, but hot audible and steps back 1 step and passes it to a quick route.

Jason Campbell did this on slants a lot when the CB would play softly.

# 167 DearbornDolfan @ 04/13/09 10:47 PM
Quote:
So audible to a play with a 3 step drop or to a shotgun formation. That's what real QBs do, and realism is what we're after, right?
In certain systems, such as the Air Raid, the base play might be a five step drop but the QB has pass options on the first and third steps if his reads call for it. I'll point to my football theory knowledge comment to Ian and end it here.

# 168 Vikes1 @ 04/13/09 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
Did anyone get to mess around with sliders and give feedback on the effectiveness of those???????????
Oh man...great catch!

Yeah, it would be great to hear if someone remembered to check out slider effectiveness. Easy thing to forget...but very important issue.

Edit: Thanks Dave.

# 169 sportzbro @ 04/13/09 10:55 PM
so with the forced drop backs, does this mean no "one-step goal line fade routes" animation in 10? (think warner to fitz toss)

# 170 KANE699 @ 04/13/09 10:57 PM
I was pissed about being forced to do a 5 or 7 step drop and not being able to break out of it, I understand on the 3, but if I have to avoid a blitzer on the 7 step drop, I want the ability to, Ian said they were working on this.

# 171 DearbornDolfan @ 04/13/09 10:57 PM
Quote:
Mike Martz had that on occasion, I had read. But...

Wouldn't surprise me, given his reliance on deep, slow-developing passing plays. His route tree is the only one I've heard of that calls an 18 yard cross a medium depth play.

# 172 DearbornDolfan @ 04/13/09 11:01 PM
Quote:
I was pissed about being forced to do a 5 or 7 step drop and not being able to break out of it, I understand on the 3, but if I have to avoid a blitzer on the 7 step drop, I want the ability to, Ian said they were working on this.
Nani?! Working on it? I thought the forced drop was a single step to allow the lines to engage and limit the effectiveness of the sneak, since QBs do that anyway to find the hole to plow through.

I'm really starting to wonder if my crack about football theory, which was kinda off hand, wasn't so off base. No football system commits a quarterback to an entire drop even if the line blocking breaks down before the set-up. When that happens the quarterback generally boots away from the overload and looks downfield for an open receiver first and a running lane second. That's realism.

# 173 DearbornDolfan @ 04/13/09 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawkins#20
Someone else took the extreme approach unlike myself
My response wasn't anywhere near extreme. Maybe a tad harsher than strictly necessary, but within bounds of commentary about gameplay that invited or employed testers are expected to give.

# 174 KANE699 @ 04/13/09 11:03 PM
When I say working on im pretty sure he meant he was only only to keep the required dropback for the 3 step drop.

Only time will tell, im not breaking an nda just because you want to be a jerkoff.

# 175 achain @ 04/13/09 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bison160
Im not so sure he's actually wearing a rib protector is he? I know someone mentioned it, but it really doesnt look real conclusive to me, unless someone can 100% verify that it is.

I really appreciate the post, but in all honest, im a little disapointed that there is still issues with Blocking, it was made clear that that was the number 1 issue with the gameplay, and supposedly they are "listening" to us, so why was that not the main focus and already taken care of. I really hope its a completely new logic, and that is why there are tuning issue still to be worked on. If they just tuned what was already there and added a few new animations, I will seriously question the devs true intent on these forums.

I know you guys get sick of my constant nag about the line play, but it is something im very passionate about, and truly believe it is the major problem holding the game back from playing a sim game of football.

Man I hope that they can prove me wrong, I was getting sooo excited for a football game worthy of playing, as great as 2k8 is im sick of not being able to play with my favorite team. GO 49ers!
I'm bummed that everyone seemed to look over this post because he brings up a good point. I would also have to agree that line play is paramount for M10 and if it isn't addressed with a complete overhaul then it's a little troubling to me as well.

# 176 Megatron2k7 @ 04/13/09 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
HAND WARMERS!!! OMG, AWESEOME!

*runs around like an 8 year old*

I like the towel, but... HANDWARMERS! OMFG YEAH!

*insert a white person dancing... poorly*

Ok......... here you go..........LMAO....!!!

# 177 SteelerSpartan @ 04/13/09 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron2k7

# 178 DearbornDolfan @ 04/13/09 11:14 PM
Quote:
When I say working on I'm pretty sure he meant he was only only to keep the required drop back for the 3 step drop.
Still too much, IMO. If somebody wants to throw a deep route on the first step, it obviously won't be complete and would probably be jumped by a safety. I understand where Ian and his group on coming from on the drop issue, but a realistic football game will penalize a QB for doing something stupid so forcing a drop back beyond a step shouldn't be necessary.

Quote:
Only time will tell, I'm not breaking an NDA just because you want to be a jerk off.
I'm not fishing for anything, believe me. Just looking at the cropped bit of the common issues tree tells me more than you could conceivably hint at within the bounds of the NDA.

I also don't know where you're coming from when you call me a "jerk off". I'm not anti-EA, I think a lot of their efforts are positive and the game in general is going in the right direction. But I'm going to call a dog a dog and I'm not going to bother with hedging or anything similar. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I prefer plain honesty.

# 179 Valdarez @ 04/13/09 11:17 PM
Quote:
EDIT- Please don't think I made this post in order to defend Madden. Quite the contrary. I made this post because I WANT forced QB drop backs on plays that require it. As I post at the end here, it is rare that a QB doesn't drop back like a play calls for, because in the NFL passing game (especially the West Coast Offense), the progression of the receivers and when they will be making their respective breaks is supposed to be exactly timed with the QB drop.

A hypothetical example... (these are all quick releasing routes)

Read 1- makes break the second QB hits back foot and steps up

Read 2- makes break the second the QB takes his first hitch

Read 3- makes break the second the QB takes second hitch

Dump off route- leaves blocking and turns toward the QB to receive the ball as soon as the QB goes through x amount of receivers.

When an NFL play calls for a 3 step drop, the QB makes a 3 step drop. When an NFL play calls for a 5 step drop, the QB makes a 5 step drop. When an NFL play calls for a 7 step drop, the QB makes a 7 step drop. When an NFL play calls for a waggle or roll out, THEN the QB moves laterally. When an NFL play calls for a bootleg, THEN the QB moves laterally.
Why should the AI be in control of the quarterback when I am playing the position (i.e. should have control)? If I want to take a one step drop in order to hit a short route, then I should be able to do so. I don't understand why this is being added into the game at all. Forced QB drop back is a bad feature in my book, and does not add to the realism of the game. I'm fairly certain a QB is not forced to fall back a certain number of steps in the real game.

In APF2K8, I can take control of the QB and stop my drop any time. Choosing from a 1, 3, 5, to n step drop. Here's an example. The plays in this video were all 3 to 5 step drops, but I pulled off a 1 step drop every time in practice (though I would not do it in a real game).

Quote:
You need to add 5 more points to your Madden rating, so that it hits +++, and then you need to multiply that difference by -1 and give that product to yourself for this error.
I think I'll have to give you a --- for failing to distinguish opinion from fact.

# 180 PGaither84 @ 04/13/09 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron2k7

That's about right.Not sure if I look that good though

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.