Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Kotaku has the scoop.

Quote:
"Fresh off a $28 million victory over their own union, a retired NFL player says his comrades are targeting John Madden and Electronic Arts for their roles in games using their likenesses without compensating them.

Readers might recall that more than 2,000 retired NFL players won a collective $28 million judgment against the National Football League Players Association, upheld in January. Their suit alleged that the union advised EA to "scramble" the players' likenesses (numbers, heights, sometimes races, but not stats) in order to use them in historic team rosters without compensation."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 l NErd l @ 04/19/09 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
I'd be lying if I said I did anything more than glance at the historic rosters. Just not a draw for me.

On the flip side, I guess what goes around comes back around *cough exclusive rights cough*

I've enjoyed Madden 09 but that's only because I had no NFL 2k9 to play.

# 22 spit_bubble @ 04/19/09 07:12 PM
Well... This at least explains why EA's historic rosters always sucked.

# 23 g2thecore @ 04/19/09 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
My god this is getting ridiculous.
Agreed.

# 24 spit_bubble @ 04/19/09 08:01 PM
I should add:

As someone who likes playing as historic players... The obvious downside to this, if the retired players win like they should, is that we'll likely see any and all traces of history removed from future games... Even possibly the ability to edit players.

I just hope some sort of retired players union grows out of this... Whether it be through an already existing organization, or on it's own... This way, stuff like this can be avoided in the future, and everyone can be happy...

Though I realize that is a long shot. There seems to be just way too much stubbornness and greed out there for anything so sensible.

# 25 ZoneKIller @ 04/19/09 08:09 PM
I wouldnt be suprised when everything is all said and done ,
That EA asks the government for a bailout.
You know the government would do it.EA owns the rights to everything.They even own THE GODFATHER!

# 26 NFLHITMAN @ 04/19/09 08:25 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
They should have payed up. Simple as that. If you want to use historical players to sell your product, pay up.

The NFL players association tried to screw the old timers, and I have not one drop of sympathy for them. EA either. These NFL veterans from the 50's and 60's made the NFL the biggest sport in America, and now they're paying the cost of their sacrifice in pain and suffering. At the same time the beneficiaries of that sacrifice, today's greedy zillionare players, are balking at paying their respects.

It's sickens me.
Adembroskie are you telling me that if you were the legends of the game who got $1,500 a game if that, and you see the players today getting $100 million along with EA who is using your name you wouldn't want some of that pie? Most of the Legends are struggling financially and Madden thought they could use them in there game to compete with APF 2K8 who actually paid there Legends???

Come on Adem I know your better than that.

# 27 NFLHITMAN @ 04/19/09 08:26 PM
I think that the retired players should start there own union and if you think about it with all the retired players they could easily take a contract from 2K and have a full game.

# 28 capn_razzamataz @ 04/19/09 08:29 PM
While I'm not going to say I'm "glad" EA is being sued by the retired players I will say that they deserve the money. I went to signing event for a bunch of athletes (current and retired) last summer and got to talk to Earl Campbell's agent for a while when the show was winding down.

He said that since the NFL doesn't give players much after retirement a lot of retirees rely on signings and such for money. He also said that Earl's only source of real income is his restaurant. The rest of his money goes to insane medical bills (just to note, Earl isn't in too great of shape these days...he was looking pretty frail throughout the signing). I'm sure that money from videogame deals greatly help a lot of retirees...and some of them desperately need it.

# 29 luv_mist @ 04/19/09 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
Yeah but they had them in the game before they lost all that money. EA probably assumed the retired players are ok with it just because they have the NFL lisence that its ok to put people in a video game and not be paid.

Wrong Answer EA...they should be paid no questions asked.
Fully agree. Though most people don't play with them, they have them in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
No wonder the players wanted a lot of money to be on APF 2k8.They didn't wanna get burned again.

Please don't turn this into an EA vs 2k debate.It has nothing to do with the games.
In a direct way, this does have something to do with 2K but that'll be redirecting the topic of this thread. Just know that all of these little things are in connection one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
They should have payed up. Simple as that. If you want to use historical players to sell your product, pay up.

The NFL players association tried to screw the old timers, and I have not one drop of sympathy for them. EA either. These NFL veterans from the 50's and 60's made the NFL the biggest sport in America, and now they're paying the cost of their sacrifice in pain and suffering. At the same time the beneficiaries of that sacrifice, today's greedy zillionare players, are balking at paying their respects.

It's sickens me.
One thing that interests me is how other teams have the old retired players but don't have conflicts with their likenesses all that much. Seems like NFL is the only sport that is shady towards their cornerstone. Maybe it's just me. Not to mention the countless documentaries and pieces done on the retired players, it's ashamed that they aren't given more love. Lot of deepness with the respect they're getting for their sacrifices.......

# 30 NFLHITMAN @ 04/19/09 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_razzamataz
While I'm not going to say I'm "glad" EA is being sued by the retired players I will say that they deserve the money. I went to signing event for a bunch of athletes (current and retired) last summer and got to talk to Earl Campbell's agent for a while when the show was winding down.

He said that since the NFL doesn't give players much after retirement a lot of retirees rely on signings and such for money. He also said that Earl's only source of real income is his restaurant. The rest of his money goes to insane medical bills (just to note, Earl isn't in too great of shape these days...he was looking pretty frail throughout the signing). I'm sure that money from videogame deals greatly help a lot of retirees...and some of them desperately need it.
Well I myself and very HAPPY that EA is being sued over this. This kind of **** needs to stop and maybe this will cause some others to think a little more before going out and conscientiously rip people off.

If Madden 09 sold 4.5 Million copies and it sold for $60 each that is $270 Million in one game and you are trying to tell me that they couldn't have gave the legends a fair share for using them? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

# 31 lenwil @ 04/19/09 10:39 PM
I have played occasionally against the historic teams in previous Madden games. It was nice to see how you fared vs. the '85 Bears, Niners, or Cowboy teams of the past.

That said, pay those retired players their share. It's the least EA could do considering they rape us for $60 each year for games that are nothing more than updates that should be downloaded online for a reduced fee.

# 32 sportzbro @ 04/19/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
+1

historic rosters are unnecessary.

# 33 Tyrant8RDFL @ 04/19/09 11:17 PM
I agree with those that feel retired players should get paid if being used in the game.

In all honesty I would be very happy if the retired players win this sue, but the day when I finally see the words that EA no longer has the exclusive license deal for NFL and NCAA games. Now that I will be JUMPING for joy.

No knock on EA , but I just miss having options in playing NFL video games.

I remember back in the days reading all the new features each company was putting into their game. All the competition going around to out do each other. It was great .

# 34 bamaCT12 @ 04/19/09 11:39 PM
do they really have to sue?

# 35 NFLHITMAN @ 04/20/09 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
This is what happens when you give people too much money at a young age that have no idea what to do with it. Must less the fact that is isn't going to last.

Then at old age when there is no money, memories are fading, injuries hurt and it is time to blame everyone else.

Time to get back in the headlines and get paid.

That or their kids are pissed there isn't enough money is their trust funds or there isn't even one.
This post in all honesty is the meaning of ignorance IMO!

# 36 Cryolemon @ 04/20/09 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
Even possibly the ability to edit players.
That would be a huge over reaction. If EA was forced to do that it would kill unlicensed sports games. If they did it by choice they would be idiots.

# 37 mKoz26 @ 04/20/09 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce21b
Alot of you people are missing the point while some of you know what you are talking about. The problem is that EA and the Players Association were in bed together.

This goes beyond just the video game the problem is that the older players in the league didnt get any kind of 401k or anything like that and they werent getting the money players are today. The Players Association was not handling royalties etc. made and contributing it to retired players. And what was going on between the Association and EA was a perfect example.

What would have been right to have do is for EA to maybe pay a little bit more into NFLPA and the NFLPA to take that money and give it to the players. That way EA could have rights to the players likeness etc. and the players wouldn't care because they would have gotten compensated through the NFLPA. Personally I feel that the NFLPA is more to blame then EA but EA got caught in the wrong as well.

For those of you that say oh I dont need no historical teams obviously are the same ones that search for every glitch to use in the game and have no respect for the game. You cant get anywhere in life if you dont know where you came from how do you know where you are going?

Alot of "Fans " have no clue about their teams history and its really sad because you really have no attachment to your team. I'm from Philadelphia and I love all my sports teams. And in the recent loss of a great broadcaster I have been listening to my entire life its really pathetic that people could say oh forget those old timers what they do for me?

I'll tell you what they did They played for the love of the game they played with class and they played for their team. I would have much rather watched games in the 60's and 70's then the ones today. steroids pre madonnas convicts killers and the rest of the crap in all of pro sports is pathetic.

Basically my point its respect must be given to the players of the past and they have every right to expect compensation from a billion dollar industry when they sacrifeced they bodies to it. Not for money or fame but the love of the game.
I have no desire to play with retired players on a Madden game. I have never searched for a glitch. These blind accusations need to stop.

I can't believe somebody like adembroski with a great rep gets an infraction for putting off a post by a historically rude apexbronx who decided to make a rather ridiculous (and IMO, quite insulting) assumption, yet this guy who has three posts can go around saying this kind of stuff. That's not justice.

# 38 bang911 @ 04/20/09 02:06 AM
Quote:
Personally I feel that the NFLPA is more to blame then EA but EA got caught in the wrong as well.
I agree that the NFLPA is more to blame than EA in this situation.

Quote:
For those of you that say oh I dont need no historical teams obviously are the same ones that search for every glitch to use in the game and have no respect for the game. You cant get anywhere in life if you dont know where you came from how do you know where you are going?
That is a very blind assumption.

I do not need historical teams in my Madden 10 because I already have plenty of historical rosters available from Madden and other games as well. Why do we need the same old rosters in each and every single Madden?

Your only argument is that we must learn our history, but that argument is null. The means for doing so has already been made available by games in the past.

Quote:
Basically my point its respect must be given to the players of the past and they have every right to expect compensation from a billion dollar industry when they sacrifeced they bodies to it. Not for money or fame but the love of the game.
They only played for the love of the game, but now they are demanding money and fame? How ironic.

I respect the players of the past, but they are not a large reason for Madden being the cash cow that it is.

If the NFL players of former teams wish to be in their own game with their own rosters then let them, but Madden will be fine without them.

# 39 Swingking77 @ 04/20/09 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
You had me until you got there. How does the fact that I don't need or care for historic teams make me a glitcher? Sorry ya lost me on that one...
Yeah, it's a bit harsh for sure... But what I think he was saying is that people that don't care about the history of the game, don't really respect football, as such the assumption, I think, is that the lack of respect for the sport breeds a lack of respect for the sport in electronic form as well, i.e. glitchers, exploiters, etc... It was badly put, but that's what I THINK he was getting at...

Anyhow, I think it's sick that they pay the older guys their cash, though with the likeness only being that of "abilities", it's a weak argument and as such probably won't stand up when the judge hears it... That being said, it's not like EA doesn't have the money, or hasn't made enough money on Madden thus far that they can't go out and get the rights for the historical teams... They don't need to get EVERY team, I'd be happy with only having the past Super Bowl teams... And even then, there are a lot of great players that played on several teams, or those that are still playing, so the total number for the players needing to get paid is probably smaller then people think and as such, why not just pay the guys and give us names, numbers, faces, and anything else that they might want to give us... Were it not for these great players, the NFL wouldn't even exist these days... So as such, respect should be paid...

# 40 Valdarez @ 04/20/09 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
This is what happens when you give people too much money at a young age that have no idea what to do with it. Must less the fact that is isn't going to last.

Then at old age when there is no money, memories are fading, injuries hurt and it is time to blame everyone else.

Time to get back in the headlines and get paid.

That or their kids are pissed there isn't enough money is their trust funds or there isn't even one.
Do you have any idea what those guys made back then?

Don't confuse the guys who started it all with the players of today. Their compensation isn't even one tenth of what the guys today make.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.