Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Kotaku has the scoop.

Quote:
"Fresh off a $28 million victory over their own union, a retired NFL player says his comrades are targeting John Madden and Electronic Arts for their roles in games using their likenesses without compensating them.

Readers might recall that more than 2,000 retired NFL players won a collective $28 million judgment against the National Football League Players Association, upheld in January. Their suit alleged that the union advised EA to "scramble" the players' likenesses (numbers, heights, sometimes races, but not stats) in order to use them in historic team rosters without compensation."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Valdarez @ 04/20/09 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Again, they don't need to include ANY superbowl or classic team in the game at all. Not one former player or team. None.
I disagree, but then there's a feature I would love to have for Franchise mode that doesn't exist in the game today and it would require the use of historic players. I would LOVE to be able to start my Franchise team at ANY year in the NFL, not just the current one. Maybe take over the Cowboys in 1990 and play them through their glory years. I never really enjoyed franchise in Madden after a couple of years in as it's no longer a game of players / abilities that I recognize. However, after watching football for 25 years, I can remember players from the early 80s and could enjoy seeing them again.

Without this feature, and with how the game stands today, the historic players really serve no purpose.

# 42 thudias @ 04/20/09 11:22 AM
Everyone sues everyone then everyone has nothing.

# 43 Cryolemon @ 04/20/09 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
I wish they would create sports games that would actually let you play through seasons past
Out Of The Park Baseball.

# 44 pigspigs76 @ 04/20/09 12:18 PM
Its not worth all the CRAZY...

You should be able to download custom rosters online created by other people, that way you can have all the real historic players with pictures and accurate stats without the law suit. Not sure if Microsoft would allow this kinda thing but in Halo your allowed to download other peoples custom maps so I don't see why you can't download custom Rosters in Madden.

^ just thought about this for a second... this would also allow you to play a franchise of Seasons past, kinda a cool idea

# 45 spit_bubble @ 04/20/09 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
(re: removing the ability to edit players) That would be a huge over reaction. If EA was forced to do that it would kill unlicensed sports games. If they did it by choice they would be idiots.
When you're losing money as a company, and lose a court case for however many millions of dollars, you tend to make sure such things never happen again.

They wouldn't be forced by anyone, as the courts wouldn't extend their reach that far... But they would be wise to do so. Allowing people to edit players into historic ones could be seen as circumventing the ruling... If the ruling does in fact go against them.

I'm not sure it would kill unlicensed gaming, because not all companies did was is alleged here... And that is deliberately try to use what they had no right to use.

# 46 Layoneil @ 04/21/09 11:13 AM
make historic rosters DLC, give the retired players 25%.

# 47 Exonerated @ 04/21/09 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoneil
make historic rosters DLC, give the retired players 25%.
We'd have to pay for it.

# 48 Swingking77 @ 04/21/09 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
We'd have to pay for it.
There are a ton of things I'd like done this way... You give people a Madden game which only uses space time and information on a disck for a straight up football game... A vs. modes only (quick play and online) and one season. Charge 40$ for it. Superstar 10$, Franchise 10$, Historic Rosters 5$ and all that other stuff comes to you via DLC...

The only catch is that the core game must be solid in order for it to work... But if it were, you'd get your gammers happy and allow people that want certain fetures to get them, while not forcing your gamers to get features they don't want (I'm looking at you Superstar)...

# 49 elgreazy1 @ 04/21/09 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
There are a ton of things I'd like done this way... You give people a Madden game which only uses space time and information on a disck for a straight up football game... A vs. modes only (quick play and online) and one season. Charge 40$ for it. Superstar 10$, Franchise 10$, Historic Rosters 5$ and all that other stuff comes to you via DLC...

The only catch is that the core game must be solid in order for it to work... But if it were, you'd get your gammers happy and allow people that want certain fetures to get them, while not forcing your gamers to get features they don't want (I'm looking at you Superstar)...
That's actually a great idea. Plus it would allow, as you stated, the developers to work on the core game engine, which is what the game should be about.

# 50 PolkaDot @ 04/21/09 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
It doesn't say present day NFL Players does it? Once a NFL Player you will always be associated with it. The thread title is right on.
Of all the arguments you could have used to support it, this was the worst, weakest, and most cliche argument.

It's not common to refer to ex-NFL players as simply NFL players. Even the article consistently refers to them as retirees. It was just a bit confusing, but no biggie. A simple click cleared up any confusions.

# 51 Perfect Zero @ 04/21/09 02:35 PM
Or, EA could charge $15 for Franchise, $15 for Superstar, $15 for Head Coach, $15 for Roster edits, and still charge $59.99 for the game.

Because it is EA people. Never settle for less, always demand more.

# 52 Swingking77 @ 04/22/09 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
Or, EA could charge $15 for Franchise, $15 for Superstar, $15 for Head Coach, $15 for Roster edits, and still charge $59.99 for the game.

Because it is EA people. Never settle for less, always demand more.
At this point, getting a solid/working core game, even at 59$ is more then we already have right now... At least we'd be getting something that works this time. Like a car, you can get a standard model that starts everytime and never needs repairs, or you can get a car with an LE package with all the electric lights, mirrors, warming seats, pimp stereo, but it doesn't drive... I personally just want a car I can drive... I just want a football game I can play... At this point we've only gotten broken LE editions and have yet to get a solid and reliable daily driver...

# 53 TheShizNo1 @ 04/22/09 08:48 AM
I don't really visit the Madden forums much anymore. I've been checking out the '10 thread to see the stuff EA is working on and it actually looks decent so far....

But, I find it funny while I read through thsi thread, I was looking in the left side the whole time looking for a pink/purple name. I have no doubt EA has alot in this. I think if what I'm readign is true, this actually started with PA and retired players. But since the PA is tied w/ Madden, that's what brought the retired players into the electronic argument. If I'm wrong, my bad. I also think EA has a litle more to do w/ this for a simple reason, anytime I've seen EA being accused of something there's usually an upper in here defending EA or w/e. 7 pages and no nice colorful names to be seen.

# 54 spit_bubble @ 04/22/09 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
...I also think EA has a litle more to do w/ this for a simple reason, anytime I've seen EA being accused of something there's usually an upper in here defending EA or w/e. 7 pages and no nice colorful names to be seen.
It's not uncommon to keep silent about pending litigation... And besides, this doesn't really involve the developers and other EA people who post here. This is above them.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.