Home
Madden 2010 News Post

IGN has posted some Madden NFL 10 videos. They are more commentary than actual gameplay. Including the Pro-Tak system, authenticity, blocking and layer animation.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 LBzrule @ 04/29/09 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
it's hard not to get a little bit jazzed when you start to see how all these tech improvements can change the game.
And that's exactly how I felt when I left, although I didn't want to leave LOL. Once I saw the tech, I said all they need to do is tweak and tune this stuff and this game will be "there" and more.

# 162 KANE699 @ 04/29/09 08:46 PM
You didn't want to leave!?

I didn't want to go until I had to take a cab to the airport!!!!!!!!!!

# 163 apexbronx @ 04/29/09 08:50 PM
Pro Tak Looks Like it could be Taken Advantage of I'm sorry yall. Willie Parker Can't carry 4 Players in MOST situations. Now I did'nt say it can never Happen I'm saying its Rare

# 164 adub88 @ 04/29/09 08:53 PM
Ian, glad to hear you talk about the route running. I'm sure many people here were thinking what happened to the very realistic route running prototype we saw a while back after seeing the trailer.

# 165 Ian_Cummings @ 04/29/09 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbronx
Pro Tak Looks Like it could be Taken Advantage of I'm sorry yall. Willie Parker Can't carry 4 Players in MOST situations. Now I did'nt say it can never Happen I'm saying its Rare
FYI - Apex it will definitely NOT ship like that. For all of these demos (including the trailer) we've enabled on a debug option for the max number of players to add on so we can show off the feature.

Now at community day people were breaking out of them like crazy...that's another tuning item altogether...but you won't have to worry about this at all.

# 166 Droopy03 @ 04/29/09 08:56 PM
I do see some improvements in the game and it looks as it's going in the right direction. great job EA

# 167 myownsun @ 04/29/09 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And that's exactly how I felt when I left, although I didn't want to leave LOL. Once I saw the tech, I said all they need to do is tweak and tune this stuff and this game will be "there" and more.
Now that is really good to hear.

# 168 4solo @ 04/29/09 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
maybe he got beat? maybe the left guard isnt that good?

lol at people expecting every player to make every block every time. every player to make the perfect read every time. every player to sweat every pass near them. jump for every catch. realize the players mess up!
It's one thing to get beat. But he didn't even touch the guy. If its a blitz or a stunt yea i can see him not getting touch but 4 man rush that's the guy he should block, he doesn't have to get a pefect block but the guy should at least be touched.

# 169 LBzrule @ 04/29/09 08:59 PM
Quote:
FYI - Apex it will definitely NOT ship like that. For all of these demos (including the trailer) we've enabled on a debug option for the max number of players to add on so we can show off the feature.

Now at community day people were breaking out of them like crazy...that's another tuning item altogether...but you won't have to worry about this at all.
Please don't tune Jacobs though. I liked him being feared LOL. Maybe bring McClain up just a little.

# 170 rheerun @ 04/29/09 08:59 PM
I'd like to further say how pumped I am about the game this year... Ian and crew are doing an awesome job of taking the feedback and applying it... as well as providing honest responses when things can't be done, are difficult, etc. I think the game is looking awesome...

I wanted to just put in a plug for the earlier comment about momentum or 'agile' running. It still seems a little robotic from the vids in which runners are changing direction without leaning or 'carving'. In some of the more 'explicit' animations like going in and out of breaks on routes, it looks like the animations are there. But in others, it looks like Santonio Holmes is just standing straight up pointing in one direction, then next thing you know he's pointing in the other direction... the whole time his body is just rigid. Looks a little robotic.

# 171 KANE699 @ 04/29/09 09:01 PM
Quote:
Please don't tune Jacobs though. I liked him being feared LOL. Maybe bring McClain up just a little.
Get the hell out of here. Jacobs needs to come down a little, not a lot but a little.

# 172 viewtifuljoe71 @ 04/29/09 09:07 PM
Quote:
but it's hard not to get a little bit jazzed when you start to see how all these tech improvements can change the game.
Tell me about it, i find myself checking into OS everyday, at home and at work, just to see if there is any new news or info! Its a damn shame too cuz the game is still like 3 months away.

# 173 LBzrule @ 04/29/09 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
Iim all for this Ian and i havent even played the game. I really want Jacobs to give me fits everytime i play the Giants hes just too easy to contain in Madden 09
I retract, he probably needs to come down a little. He was 2k4ish and then some. But I do think that against teams like that, you should be forced to break out the 8 man fronts to stop the run, which means they need more 8 man fronts. You shouldn't be able to sit back in 7 man or worse things like dime and qtrs and not fear this man. The man should be so beast that in your mind you say, I need big bodies and as many as possible in the box to stop this man. That is unless they are pounding you outta shotgun, then you got a problem.

# 174 Smoke316 @ 04/29/09 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
Iim all for this Ian and i havent even played the game. I really want Jacobs to give me fits everytime i play the Giants hes just too easy to contain in Madden 09
True but u dont want him running for 5 yrds and carrying a defender for 2 yrds EVERY carry (I say that knowing my boy plays with the G-Men all the time and my Titans lost Haynesworth lol) If thats the case then CJ better be equally feared as well

# 175 tennesseetitans @ 04/29/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
True but u dont want him running for 5 yrds and carrying a defender for 2 yrds EVERY carry (I say that knowing my boy plays with the G-Men all the time and my Titans lost Haynesworth lol) If thats the case then CJ better be equally feared as well
With the speed ratings stretched, CJ's elite speed should be more pronounced. I don't know about his other ratings, but I think he will cause just as many mismatches as Jacobs.

# 176 SteelerSpartan @ 04/29/09 09:15 PM
LBzrule....How much Cut blocking was going on at CD????

Seeing Hampton, Williams and other Big men on the D-Line flopping all over the place was just really hard to look at in past Maddens

# 177 LBzrule @ 04/29/09 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
LBzrule....How much Cut blocking was going on at CD????

Seeing Hampton, Williams and other Big men on the D-Line flopping all over the place was just really hard to look at in past Maddens

Ohh LOL you know that one block where an Olineman basically goes low, then grave digs the Dlineman up off the ground and flips him over his back. We were like please, please ditch that animation. As much as the hitstick gets criticized for WWE style tackles, anyone who is familiar with that gravedig and flip animation by Olinemen from 09 should realize that this is basically a back drop LOL.

Now I do think they are gonna keep some chop blocks but hopefully not the backdrop/suplex.

# 178 SteelerSpartan @ 04/29/09 09:25 PM
Quote:
Ohh LOL you know that one block where an Olineman basically goes low, then grave digs the Dlineman up off the ground and flips him over his back. We were like please, please ditch that animation. As much as the hitstick gets criticized for WWE style tackles, anyone who is familiar with that gravedig and flip animation by Olinemen from 09 should realize that this is basically a back drop LOL.

Now I do think they are gonna keep some chop blocks but hopefully not the backdrop/suplex.
well at least you let em know about it....AuburnAlumni over on the NCAA boards has waged a one man war over there to get those out....Its driven him crazy to see his stud D-Tackles being flopped by D-C rated team O-lines

# 179 shift9k @ 04/29/09 09:26 PM
Quote:
Man was I parched or what! Give that guy some water!

I feel really great to hear the positive feedback guys...as everyone says there are still plenty of areas to fix up and polish but hopefully you all are definitely seeing the move in the right direction. It's a no brainer - "make Madden like real football" - and everyone just gets it.

Just so you know guys...this is really a top issue for me. We have been making some pretty drastic locomotion changes as of late that I am hoping to get locked down in the next 2 weeks. I captured quite a few examples today with my capture station that made me smack my forehead (mainly around DB's and DL's being beat and spinning around at full speed) - so I'm actually working with Simon and the senior gameplay engineer this week to see what all we can do.

Also, we found a pretty global issue with receiver cut moves today that was really screwing up our route running. I was really getting upset that we did blogs on the route cuts and stuff and lo and behold marketing starts releasing videos that aren't even remotely close to it...and sure enough there was a bug there so I can't really blame them. We'll get it nicely polished though...that area is big for me as you all know.

Donny and I played a half today and we really had some fun moments. I took the Bills and he was the Bucs - lots of animation bugs that were driving me crazy, and there is still plenty of tuning on balance between run/pass to be done, but it's hard not to get a little bit jazzed when you start to see how all these tech improvements can change the game.

This made me feel a lot better. I've been weary of getting excited for this game. I've been reading through all of these threads as of late and god bless it a part of me wants to believe whole heartedly. I see that the EA team is working really hard and that is really really nice to see.

I dont know what the term for this is, but I will try my best to describe it. In one of the IGN vids, the one that highlights the "pro-tak" system. You see the player get hit the first time and then people add on. The problem lies therein. When a player comes to help out on the tackle they sort of "snap" into place in the group or on the ball carrier. Its like magnets. I think if animations in and out of the gang tackle were a bit smoother it would really take it to another level.

Cheers.

Daman

# 180 CreatineKasey @ 04/29/09 09:52 PM
Yep the more thinking I do about this pro-tak system the more jacked I get. There's just so much we can do with it. It really affects many aspects of the game we've never been treated to in a video game. If there's ANYTHING that should demolish the DIME defense VS your POWER I ISO runs it's PRO-TAK! We should be able to push around and carry defenders like it's nobodies business. That's one example of many. I can only imagine how excited you guys got as you realized all these possibilities when testing the game out.

Very cool stuff. Good time to be a video game football junkie

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.