Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. This time Ian takes a deeper look into PRO-TAK.

Quote:
"Welcome back to another Monday blog Madden fans! Talk about an eventful couple of weeks in Madden-land…our first Season Preview event on Thursday 4/24, our cover athletes revealed on Friday 4/25 (including a cool guest appearance by Larry Fitzgerald on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon), the NFL Draft, and last week we even released a blog on the Wildcat formation. We’re hard at work trying to finish the game while still balancing our media release schedule, so with this week’s blog, it seemed like a good opportunity to dive deeper into one of our most important gameplay features for the year: PRO-TAK."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/04/09 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Not looking for over the top. Most, if not all defenders(Prime Time exception) bring the wood when a defender is being held up, since their is no advantage for a defender to push him backwards(forward momentum rule) so to bring him down where he stands or deliver a blow that may jar the ball loose or even strip the ball. The only time a defender gets in a grab azz scenario is when he grabs from behind, most of the time from the side and in front its a collision either the back bounces off the tackle or he runs over the defender.
i see where your coming from now

# 102 Hotlanta @ 05/04/09 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
Any chance Pro Tak could do a sled animation like Turner did to Kansas City last year?

I love how #49 took out his own man to help us.
Steerable tackling gone wrong or gone right?

# 103 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/04/09 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtifuljoe71
I would cry if i saw this in game.

I would name my future son after you Ian!!! (Ian Anderson, has a nice ring to it!!)

Tony G got tired of seeing his defense getting took for a ride the entire season lol

# 104 viewtifuljoe71 @ 05/04/09 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
I agree i dnt want him being unstoppable..but i dnt want the game to have to be adjusted by sliders from the outset either...weve only seen a handful of vids so we cant make our assesments yet
Yea i dont want them to be unstoppable either, just a handfull to bring down. Players like Jacobs, Turner, Barber, Jones-Drew make them hard to bring down on most plays.

# 105 thudias @ 05/04/09 07:16 PM
Great blog only 6 more days until the next blog.

# 106 jfsolo @ 05/04/09 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren

I hope this works as well as advertised.
Me too. The statement was made in passing in the blog, but this would represent a new level of "awareness" for defenders(hopefully offensive players too) that we haven't seen in football games. It would be a really, really important improvement.

# 107 seveb @ 05/04/09 07:20 PM
This looks like a HUGE addition, if tuned correctly. Color me impressed.

I wonder if a ball carrier will have the option NOT to fight for every yard. Say I get the first down and then get stood up, just to go down if a gang of guys are coming to light me up/strip me.

# 108 viewtifuljoe71 @ 05/04/09 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Great blog only 6 more days until the next blog.
Yea Ian needs to start giving us nuggets like every other day. I feel like im going through withdrawal syndrome

# 109 sozo @ 05/04/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
Any chance Pro Tak could do a sled animation like Turner did to Kansas City last year?

This is a great example of what backbreaker was saying a few posts earlier. The defender has the runner wrapped up and then
the other defender trys to fly in with a punishing hit only to whiff and crash into his own player.

Pro-Tak looks great and I hope there are situations that resemble this in the final game.

# 110 MCNABB51BOI @ 05/04/09 07:30 PM
only problem i saw in the video was lindale was running way to high ,especially trying to get in the endzone he didnt drop his shoulders or get low to try to get in he just ran chest first and got tackled. maybe they was just trying to make an example of the pro-tak ?

# 111 CLEAR17 @ 05/04/09 07:36 PM
This was just so-so for. Cool stuff but it didn't look different than the trailer.
I just want a franchise blog

# 112 NYyankz225 @ 05/04/09 07:38 PM
Don't know if it's possible but I think the complaint that people have with some of the tackles is that players are not tackling "through" the player but simply stopping on contact. If a player makes contact with a ball carrier at full speed regardless of his "hit rating" he should go for a big hit not just "stick himself" to the pile. When a ball carrier gets caught up near the line like in the first video it makes sense for everyone to bunch up because they're all close and they can't run for the big hit.

But in open space, the second or third player should almost always go for the big hit, not just add to the pile. Hope that's possible.

Amazing stuff though Ian! As I've said this is easily the greatest technology ever added to a (real) football game.

# 113 mdurd2817 @ 05/04/09 07:47 PM
I didn't read this entire thread so SIAP anyway did it look like the Ravens had different sock lengths?

# 114 Netherscourge @ 05/04/09 07:49 PM
Quote:
Moving to a full runtime solution and getting rid of motion capture (like a Havok physics system for example) means handing over full control of your visuals to your code (and away from your artists)…which to us is not an acceptable approach being that we are tasked with creating a true NFL simulation.

Hmmm... is that supposed to be a dig at Backbreaker/Euphoria?

# 115 NoSubs @ 05/04/09 07:52 PM
Looks good. Now that weight is a bigger part of the equation, it needs to be considered in OVR.

All else equal, a linebacker with an extra 25 lbs. will now be a bit more useful. OVR should reflects that.

# 116 viewtifuljoe71 @ 05/04/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
Don't know if it's possible but I think the complaint that people have with some of the tackles is that players are not tackling "through" the player but simply stopping on contact. If a player makes contact with a ball carrier at full speed regardless of his "hit rating" he should go for a big hit not just "stick himself" to the pile. When a ball carrier gets caught up near the line like in the first video it makes sense for everyone to bunch up because they're all close and they can't run for the big hit.

But in open space, the second or third player should almost always go for the big hit, not just add to the pile. Hope that's possible.

Amazing stuff though Ian! As I've said this is easily the greatest technology ever added to a (real) football game.
This might be it. It doesnt look like the players are driving through the tackle.

# 117 Valdarez @ 05/04/09 07:56 PM
That ProTak looks really neat and is a huge leap forward for Madden. It's the best addition to Madden I have seen since the HitStick was introduced.

That Raven's video looks a little off. Instead of being hit, and held up, White looks like his feet get hung and caught up. There's no look/feel of momentum to either player, the hit isn't felt/seen when they collide, and the transition to the ProTak animation from the running animation isn't natural (it just snaps to the ProTak animation).

Ravens defense stops Lendale White at the goal line from easports on Vimeo.

Once guys latch on, there's too much footwork going in relation to the movement of the pile. The movement of the players feet needs to be tracked somehow to the direction / speed of the pile.

Brandon Jacobs & gang tackling in Madden NFL 10 from easports on Vimeo.

# 118 Graffititech @ 05/04/09 07:59 PM
Not a bad write up, Id rather play the game and see how Pro Tak works then going by a video where I can't really see whats going on. I swear Ray Lewis flew from one side of the field to the other to help with that tackle.

# 119 Netherscourge @ 05/04/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
That ProTak looks really neat and is a huge leap forward for Madden. It's the best addition to Madden I have seen since the HitStick was introduced.

That Raven's video looks a little off. Instead of being hit, and held up, White looks like his feet get hung and caught up. There's no look/feel of momentum to either player, the hit isn't felt/seen when they collide, and the transition to the ProTak animation from the running animation isn't natural (it just snaps to the ProTak animation).

&nbsp
&nbsp
Ravens defense stops Lendale White at the goal line from easports on Vimeo.

Not sure what you're talking about.

He's heading for the end zone, get's stood up by 2 players on the side, pulled backward by a player from behind and a 4th player bumps him backward from his front.

Looks pretty accurate and smooth to me.

# 120 crackdownjr @ 05/04/09 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSubs
Looks good. Now that weight is a bigger part of the equation, it needs to be considered in OVR.

All else equal, a linebacker with an extra 25 lbs. will now be a bit more useful. OVR should reflects that.
a players weight doesn't make them better nor worse so I do not see how weight can be reflected in the OVR rating

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.